Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comments on: Forum Suggestions

Old November 28th, 2005, 9:51 am
Zonko's Employee

Cheers, thanks Morgoth!

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2005, 10:48 am
Fourth Year

Re: Comments on: Forum Suggestions

I just had a thought on the asterisked acronyms thing: is it possible to set it up so that the abbreviations are automatically replaced with the full words (kind of like the way MS Word replaces commonly abbreviated or misspelled words, only less irritating) instead of asterisks? I only ask because there are a lot of old posts with random asterisks in them now.

Mind you, I can see how if you tried to set it up to replace a "double-D" with "Dumbledore" you might find words like this: sudumbledoreenly. But there might be a way round that, hopefully.

Last edited by dink; December 6th, 2005 at 10:53 am.
Old December 6th, 2005, 7:34 pm
Unloved by all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dink
I just had a thought on the asterisked acronyms thing: is it possible to set it up so that the abbreviations are automatically replaced with the full words (kind of like the way MS Word replaces commonly abbreviated or misspelled words, only less irritating) instead of asterisks? I only ask because there are a lot of old posts with random asterisks in them now.

Mind you, I can see how if you tried to set it up to replace a "double-D" with "Dumbledore" you might find words like this: sudumbledoreenly. But there might be a way round that, hopefully.
Right now TheWizard and Kizz have enough on their plate without trying to start new hacks.

Know Lani... Love Lani... ^_^
Old December 6th, 2005, 8:12 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanifiel
Right now TheWizard and Kizz have enough on their plate without trying to start new hacks.
I'm not suggesting they do it right now.

Old December 6th, 2005, 8:16 pm
Seventh Year

Maybe expanding the tech team would be a good idea?

Tiiiiiime tooo, saaay gooooooodbyeee!
Old December 6th, 2005, 8:26 pm
Unloved by all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_505
Maybe expanding the tech team would be a good idea?
We're good with how it is. Thanks.

Know Lani... Love Lani... ^_^
Old December 6th, 2005, 10:07 pm
Seventh Year

OK, just a thought

Tiiiiiime tooo, saaay gooooooodbyeee!
Old December 12th, 2005, 12:13 am
Third Year

I can't remember how it is when a new person signs up on CoS but would it be possible to have a feature where they have to read a few rules and click a box to state they have read said rules before their account becomes active? It seems a lot of the new members are not reading the rules before starting to post and don't bother to read the threads that could easily answer their questions.....I am not very technically inclined and dont know how much work that may entail - I am not sure how much it would even help new people anyway - but, thought I'd throw it out there.

sKRUMptious
Old December 12th, 2005, 12:26 am
Auror Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggledeedee
I can't remember how it is when a new person signs up on CoS but would it be possible to have a feature where they have to read a few rules and click a box to state they have read said rules before their account becomes active? It seems a lot of the new members are not reading the rules before starting to post and don't bother to read the threads that could easily answer their questions.....I am not very technically inclined and dont know how much work that may entail - I am not sure how much it would even help new people anyway - but, thought I'd throw it out there.
It might work, but when we joined we agreed to follow the rules. That implies that we'll actually read the rules before posting.

Almost all of the moderators have links in their signatures to various rules and other helpful threads. As people stick around and start getting more and more comfortable here, they pick up things and invariably start putting those links in their own signatures. They will also try to help out the newbies with friendly owls.

Everyone ends up getting very familiar with the areas they post heavily in and will try to help the mods and the newbies as best they can.

That being said, it still boils down the "honor system". It is understood that you know the rules when you're posting here.

Old December 13th, 2005, 2:58 am
Fourth Year

It would be nice if there were an option to automatically subscribe to threads to which I post.

It would also be nice if there were a sort option so that, within a forum, subscribed threads appear first in the sort order.

These two features would work especially well together. That way, threads in which I actively participate stay grouped together and appear first in the sort list. It would make it easy to keep up with conversations in the threads.

Thanks!

Old December 13th, 2005, 3:36 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizbog
It would be nice if there were an option to automatically subscribe to threads to which I post.
You can already do this. In the "magical me" section, select "edit options". Then, the second fieldset of the second box is labled "Default Thread Subscription mode". Here you can select to automatically suscribe to the threads in which you post. I don't think I explained that very clearly, so let me know if you're confused, and I'll try to reword it so it makes more sense.

We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided. Lord Voldemort's gift for spreading discord and enmity is very great. We can fight it only by showing an equally strong bond of friendship and trust. Differences of habit and language are nothing at all if our aims are identical and our hearts are open. -Albus Dumbledore

And that is why I swore never to be silent whenever wherever human beings endure suffering and humiliation. We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere. -Elie Wiesel
Old December 13th, 2005, 11:30 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racmel
You can already do this. In the "magical me" section, select "edit options". Then, the second fieldset of the second box is labled "Default Thread Subscription mode". Here you can select to automatically suscribe to the threads in which you post. I don't think I explained that very clearly, so let me know if you're confused, and I'll try to reword it so it makes more sense.
No need, got it, just didn't see it. I was expecting to find such an option at the time of posting, not under magical me. Great!

Now if only all my subscribed threads could be sorted to be first in the list -- but this is great!

Old December 13th, 2005, 11:21 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by frizbog
Now if only all my subscribed threads could be sorted to be first in the list -- but this is great!
Again, you'll see them listed under Magical Me, or Pensieve on the drop down Quick Links menu.

Old December 15th, 2005, 5:41 pm
Mrs Grawp

Can I post here a suggestion for a thread topic in History of Magic? I don't want to open a thread that might be considered inecessary or duplicated by the staff.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old December 15th, 2005, 6:07 pm
Auror Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad
Can I post here a suggestion for a thread topic in History of Magic? I don't want to open a thread that might be considered inecessary or duplicated by the staff.
The best way to do that is to owl a staff member. The mods who are in charge of the History of Magic are noted at the bottom of the sub-forum's home page.

This thread is for suggestions for the entire CoS forums, as a whole.

Old December 15th, 2005, 7:18 pm
Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageThyme
The best way to do that is to owl a staff member. The mods who are in charge of the History of Magic are noted at the bottom of the sub-forum's home page.

This thread is for suggestions for the entire CoS forums, as a whole.
What she said. Try doing a search on your own first and if you're still not sure just owl a staff member and we'll let you know

Old December 15th, 2005, 10:48 pm
Mrs Grawp

Jessica and SageThyme thanks . This I will do.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old December 16th, 2005, 2:06 pm
Fifth Year

Is it possible to have the Search by Key Word drop down box on the Advanced Search page default to Search Titles Only?

If it did I think it would make it easier for people who weren't used to using the search engine. It might even reduce the number of duplicate threads by making it easier to find exisiting threads.

Roz.

3. Be excellent to each other.
4. If in doubt check the FAQ.

If you break them you won't get a permission slip for Hogsmede. Now let the feast commence."
Old December 20th, 2005, 4:40 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I don't know if this has been addressed before so, if it has, I apologize.

Anyways, why isn't there a folder for posting non-Harry Potter fanfics? I mean, if Harry Potter fanfics can be monitored, why can't there be a similar set of rules for authors who write stories for other shows/books/etc.? I'm sure this board has some pretty good writers with pretty good fanfics.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Old December 20th, 2005, 6:04 am
Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDaysAhead
I don't know if this has been addressed before so, if it has, I apologize.

Anyways, why isn't there a folder for posting non-Harry Potter fanfics? I mean, if Harry Potter fanfics can be monitored, why can't there be a similar set of rules for authors who write stories for other shows/books/etc.? I'm sure this board has some pretty good writers with pretty good fanfics.
Because we're an HP board. And we can't spare the bandwidth to host non-HP fics

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services