Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Old October 3rd, 2013, 2:03 pm
Fifth Year

Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Well Lovegood might be possible. They could be placed as well traveled journalist

Power: A Collection An attempt at one shot fics. Latest Chapter The Trap

Get the daily news on the The Daily Prophet or read past articles in the Daily Prophet Archives

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:11 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Whatever it takes.

And I still want Luna Lovegood to play a major part.
wait, how can Luna be in this movie, if it's set 70 YEARS before she was born?

Old October 4th, 2013, 1:43 am
Member of the Order

Noooo...

Really?

And it would have been a good fit for such an endearing character.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old October 4th, 2013, 4:33 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Noooo...

Really?

And it would have been a good fit for such an endearing character.
'Fraid so! 1920's NYC.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old October 4th, 2013, 8:13 am
Seventh Year

Luna's the one character I'd be good with seeing in wraparound segments. If Jo's writing it, there's a chance that she would or could fit in the Luna-Rolf-Newt connection, and there's your Harry Potter character cameo.

Old October 4th, 2013, 2:51 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
Luna's the one character I'd be good with seeing in wraparound segments. If Jo's writing it, there's a chance that she would or could fit in the Luna-Rolf-Newt connection, and there's your Harry Potter character cameo.
Or maybe that character cameo is Dumbledore:
Imagining J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter Spinoff With Producer David Heyman, Vulture.com, 10/3/13As for the once and future headmaster Dumbledore, Heyman agreed that just a cameo should do the trick. "It could still be Michael Gambon [even if Dumbledore was younger]," Heyman said. "But I like that. A little wink is a good idea."

While I lean more towards avoiding cameos, I think bringing in a character out of context of the Harry Potter series could be effective (e.g. Dumbledore's young adulthood) - as long as the emphasis isn't put too strongly on that character. It would be a neat way to learn more about a little known period in Dumbledore's life, but I think it would be difficult to make seamless a cameo of such a pronounced character. Rather, someone like Phineas Nigellus could be intriguing - more name recognition than character recognition.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old October 4th, 2013, 4:21 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
Imagining J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter Spinoff With Producer David Heyman, Vulture.com, 10/3/13As for the once and future headmaster Dumbledore, Heyman agreed that just a cameo should do the trick. "It could still be Michael Gambon [even if Dumbledore was younger]," Heyman said. "But I like that. A little wink is a good idea."

While I lean more towards avoiding cameos, I think bringing in a character out of context of the Harry Potter series could be effective (e.g. Dumbledore's young adulthood) - as long as the emphasis isn't put too strongly on that character. It would be a neat way to learn more about a little known period in Dumbledore's life, but I think it would be difficult to make seamless a cameo of such a pronounced character. Rather, someone like Phineas Nigellus could be intriguing - more name recognition than character recognition.
Since Gambon was portraying a very old Dumbledore it shouldn't be a problem for him to be a younger one more nearly his own age. [ETA: The 1920's aren't necessarily going to be his young adulthood.]

Yes, I'd also like to see Phineas.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998

Last edited by snapes_witch; October 4th, 2013 at 4:23 pm.
Old October 7th, 2013, 1:01 pm
Fifth Year

I dont think Dumbledore would be easy to pull off. Maybe Grindelwald on his travels before he becomes the Dark Lord

Power: A Collection An attempt at one shot fics. Latest Chapter The Trap

Get the daily news on the The Daily Prophet or read past articles in the Daily Prophet Archives

Old October 7th, 2013, 11:01 pm
Sixth Year

Yep, I heard about this myself, and I'm intrigued to see where it will go. The fact that Jo herself is involved in the writing makes me even more curious as to how it will play out. Needless to say, I will definitely wait and see what happens and will definitely see it if it looks good.

Old October 8th, 2013, 1:26 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post

So long as it's Dumbledore post-Arianna's death. Because we know he didn't go on his world tour with Doge. You'd need a different excuse to get Dumbledore to America.

I only hope the movie works for both kids and adults. Like HP did. You know that she's been skewing younger with Pottermore, so I hope she's clever and has whatever she creates work on both levels.

Old October 14th, 2013, 7:36 pm
Seventh Year

I hope the powers that be don't get the wrong idea from all the talk of cameos from HP characters; we're talking about that largely because we can't talk about the actual movie yet. I for one don't want to talk about which HP characters will make appearances, I want to attach myself to new witches, wizards, and beyond.

Old December 10th, 2013, 12:03 pm
Suteki da ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
I agree that none of the HP characters will likely take any part in the new movie. However JKR could throw us a bone and have say a Lovegood grandparent, or other familiar surnames show up. Then again, the story is to be set in the US, so that might make including familiar surnames very difficult to justify.
Remember Elphias Doge's article about Dumbledore? He said that around the time they left school, it was popular for wizards to take a kind of gap year and travel the world. Perhaps this will be incorporated into this film- I mean it might be a slightly different time period to when Dumbledore and Doge left school, but the popularity for a wizarding gap year may be popular at the time the film is set, so we may see some recognisable character surnames.

I quite like this idea, because what we know of Newt Scamander at the moment is very little, just a reference book that he wrote...but I quite like the idea of finding out what Mr Scamander went through to discover his facts for his book.

I, like others, hope that Comic Relief will get a portion of the proceeds from this film...I'm not quite sure how that would work though...

We asked ourselves, "Can we really fight 24 hours?" And the answer was, "We will fight 8,760 hours!"
- Nobuo Uematsu

Old December 20th, 2013, 10:39 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Here's another NEW Harry Potter project. Harry Potter in the West End!

http://www.whatsonstage.com/london-t...he-_33045.html

Old March 30th, 2014, 8:27 pm
Seventh Year

It's all over the interwebs, this Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them series is being planned as a trilogy. Everything's a trilogy nowadays, but I am glad this isn't being intended as a saga with the scope of the Harry Potter series, if only because that further distinguishes it from HP.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; March 31st, 2014 at 3:10 am.
Old March 31st, 2014, 8:45 am
Third Year

Yeah, this is really exciting! I'm wondering just how much of a cross over there will be with the mythology and lore of the HP series. I'm hoping for a good amount, but not so much that this series can't distinguish itself.

Also, the fact that they're already locking it up for a trilogy almost certainly means they are going to come out swinging with advertisements. They'll do their best to make it seem like it's directly related to Harry Potter - and if they're successful, people will go see it in droves, I think.

Two of the oddest men you would ever meet.

Supporter of splitting at shell cottage after Dobby's Heroic death.

Last edited by BenGerman; March 31st, 2014 at 8:48 am.
Old March 31st, 2014, 2:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman View Post
Also, the fact that they're already locking it up for a trilogy almost certainly means they are going to come out swinging with advertisements. They'll do their best to make it seem like it's directly related to Harry Potter - and if they're successful, people will go see it in droves, I think.
I think the nice thing about it being a trilogy is we can assume JKR will create it with a beginning a middle and an end in mind. So it likely won't be just random stories that are somewhat related to HP. I'm hoping her knack of planting seeds in the beginning of the story that play out at the end will come through with this trilogy.

Old April 1st, 2014, 9:11 am
First Year

Sighs... I wish she would write books not scripts. But still, I cannot wait.

Check it out.
Pottermore: QueenJinx40, Slytherin, wand: Hawthorn and unicorn hair, 11 and 3/4 inches, surprisingly swishy
Old April 1st, 2014, 10:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya_ View Post
Well there is always a chance that a script could be turned into a book . After all they did it with the Star Wars Scripts .

Hey Maybe Daniel Radcliffe could play his own (Harry's) Grandfather in these movies .

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old April 1st, 2014, 11:05 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya_ View Post
She is still writing books - I don't know what's next for her there, but The Cuckoo's Calling (er...I mean...that wasn't her, it was Robert Galbraith) was just last year, The Casual Vacancy the year before that.

Old April 6th, 2014, 3:24 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
She is still writing books - I don't know what's next for her there, but The Cuckoo's Calling (er...I mean...that wasn't her, it was Robert Galbraith) was just last year, The Casual Vacancy the year before that.
Exactly. I read recently that she is writing a 2nd book under her Robert Galbraith pen name. Personally, I think the fact that she's writing scripts is a good sign that the HP world is still very much in her mind. There may not be another Harry Potter book, but there very well could be a Scottish book. I think that organizing all her backstory notes and writing for Pottermore may be a natural step toward putting it all together.

....I miss David Tennant....
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies