Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Comment on: CoS Forums Closure

Closed Thread

Old March 29th, 2013, 3:32 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Comment on: CoS Forums Closure

Thanks for the early warning Morgoth. And thanks a million for all you have done (and are still doing) to set up and keep CoS running. I hadn't appreciated the half of it. You created a Forum where all ages could meet equally which is rare, and where the general attitude was always so friendly and supportive. And thanks also to the mods past and present who have done so much to make this a happy place. I shall miss it badly, but I appreciate your reasons and I'd noticed the lack of new members and the slowing down of the discussion threads so it's no surprise.

However I intend to enjoy my last 3 months on CoS to the utmost!

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2013, 3:41 pm
Fourth Year

Thank you to everyone who has helped run this site over the ten years I'm so sad to hear this news, but totally understand why you're having to close. This site means so much to me, I've made friends here, and the discussions with members have taught me so much. It's because of the competitions on here that really made me start writing, and I have so many good memories of this site, just playing games, talking to people, and working together on the holiday calendar, so thank you for creating a fun and safe site for everyone, and I wish everyone the best.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Old March 29th, 2013, 3:53 pm
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Awww...I'm sad to hear this, but I understand the reasons for the closure. It's been a good six (nearly seven! ) years since I first came here, and it's been fun. I've met some awesome people and had some great times at CoS, and I'll miss the place a bunch. And thanks a ton to everyone who kept the site and threads going as smoothly as they could over the years.

*sniffle* Group hugs!

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old March 29th, 2013, 4:31 pm
Second Year

First, I want to thank you for this forum, I have enjoyed it a lot. Now, this is only an idea, but have you all considered maybe a forum that has paid advertisements allowed on it? Now, I don't profess to know anything about computers or websites or anything like that, but my understanding is that some of these are free, though I don't know exactly what these would offer, it probably wouldn't be as nice as this one. I don't know how to do that if I wanted to, but there are others here that do. Just an idea.

I'm a Hufflepuff in a Slytherin World!

snape lives imho
Old March 29th, 2013, 4:54 pm
Fifth Year

It's been awhile since I posted anything but I still lurk.

Will miss this place as it was my first proper foray into the world of Harry. Thank you for all the theories, discussions and many many laughs over the 8 years that I was a member here.

Beth x

Old March 29th, 2013, 5:00 pm
Kingsley's Biggest Fan

A lot of amazing things happened here. So many memories! Huge congratulations, thanks and well dones to Matt & the team for running this place for all of these years. HUGE.

Part of the Care Bear gang!
Old March 29th, 2013, 5:09 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

I'm so sad to read this.

Morgoth and past and current staff, I couldn't thank you enough for all this place has done for me. It kept me sane during my toughest first months in India all those years ago. It gave me the tools to debate in an online forum. It allowed me to experience the Harry Potter story in a unique way which made it a million times better - being able to speculate, theorise, predict, discuss with like-minded fans from all over the world, look at scenes, characters, arcs and details in a myriad new ways I'd never have considered otherwise. It taught me some principles I've been minding ever since - to listen to other viewpoints, for example, and keep an open mind. It gave me a way to talk to some brilliant people I wouldn't have found without it. It provided me with so much fun, gave me so many ways of testing my skills and imagination in contests, countless hours of rigorous arguments interspersed with light-hearted amusement, etc., etc. It even contributed a sizable chunk of my English language learning.

I can't list everything but I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said CoS Forums was an era of great significance and consequence in my life. Thanks for everything.

Last edited by Yoana; March 29th, 2013 at 5:40 pm.
Old March 29th, 2013, 5:15 pm
Second Year

Aw, this has made me feel really sad, even though I'll admit I haven't posted in ages. It was easy to take this place for granted, easy to forget that someone has to pay for it and run it all. Thank you for this fabulous forum, I have spent many many afternoons reading through threads on here. It's easily my favourite HP website/forum out there. The internet won't be the same place without it.

x

Old March 29th, 2013, 5:20 pm
Fifth Year

So sad to hear this. I haven't always been around regularly but after almost 8 years I still come back. This will always hold a special place in my internet-heart for being my first forum. I always wondered in the back of my mind when the run would end. Thanks for everything, Morgoth!

Old March 29th, 2013, 5:22 pm
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

I joined this forum in 2009, two years after the last book release, because I couldn't find the answer to my questions anywhere else. From the moment I made my first post, the excitement of being part of a community, to know that my words would be read by hundreds of like-minded individuals, was truly thrilling to me. I deeply regret the fact that I missed the true hay day of this forum, but the time I have spent on here has been nothing short of incomparable to anything else. There is no way to replace what I've experienced being a part of this forum, which is deeper and better structured than any I've ever seen.

Looking back, I have learned most of my writing and typing skills from using this forum, due to the fact that I'd never been interested in writing essay-length posts until finding this site. The fact that the forum has always provided a completely reliable environment to have passionate and entertaining discussions without ever being personally attacked for our views is a testament to the staff and management. So thank you very much.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray

Last edited by willfitz; March 29th, 2013 at 5:34 pm.
Old March 29th, 2013, 5:34 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

I deeply appreciate the time and effort of Morgoth and other Administrators and Moderators, past and present, into creating such a fantastic experience for making lovely friends, thought-provoking and fun discussions, life lessons and wonderful memories. Morgoth, your decision is perfectly understandable. I wish the very best for you all in the future!

Last edited by Annielogic; March 30th, 2013 at 12:21 pm. Reason: clarify
Old March 29th, 2013, 6:13 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I don't know what to think. I'm going to miss everyone. This is more than just about Harry Potter. It's about friendships, even if they are just online. I'm going to miss it. I'm going to miss y'all. We can't lose touch. Facebook? Twitter? Some place else?

Thank you, Morgoth, for the forums for as long as they lasted.

Hugs all around. I was going to say something else, but I forgot.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.

Last edited by leah49; March 29th, 2013 at 6:16 pm.
Old March 29th, 2013, 7:36 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
I was going to say something else, but I forgot.
You were going to say how much you admire me.

It's sad news, but I suppose times are tight. All Harry Potter sites will probably go through a decline in traffic due to the end of the series. Until the inevitable Harry Potter movie series reboot of course in about ten years. Come on, you know it will happen. I have a suggestion to save the site. Change it from "Chamber of Secrets. Official forum of Mugglenet.com" to "Her Majesty's Secret Service. Official forum of JAMESBOND.COM".

Seriously, James Bond movies will never end.

Old March 29th, 2013, 7:43 pm
Second Year

Wow, I really don't know what to think either. I've been a member of the forums for almost 7 years and have made such great friends, had great discussions and shared many ideas. Even though there hasn't been much activity here for a couple years, and I haven't even been on the forum regularly, it's hard to think of it all ending. I'm really going to miss it!

Thank you Morgoth and all the other staff members who made such an experience possible. The forums were awesome and although I'm sad they're closing, it's been a great run. Thanks for all you did.

Captain of the HMS Arts & Crafts, co-founder of Annie Is My Homegirl, Proud member of the IBP and KEBA
Old March 29th, 2013, 7:56 pm
Renegade

I'm deeply saddened by this announcement... but not surprised. I've been watching in dismay as the number of "students online" dropped to the single digits and stayed there.

Matt, we've been through a lot, you and I. In looking back, I remember the good times most vividly. I always will. Thank you for CoS. Thank you for everything.

Godspeed!

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old March 29th, 2013, 7:57 pm
Fourth Year

I am super sad to hear this. I know I don't post as much as I used to, but I have met some of my very best friends on this forum. Thanks so much for the good times guys!

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old March 29th, 2013, 8:51 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Amazingly, this site will end with me never once being invited to Hogsmeade.

Old March 29th, 2013, 9:29 pm
Splendide Mendax

We're still upholding the "family-friendly" rule? Yes?
Then I have no comment.

In all truth, I can't say I don't understand why you decided to let it go (and, for the record, Matt... you don't start an announcement like that with "Good Day" - you start it with a Kleenex warning! ), but it's kind of sad to realize all it would take to keep CoS running is a contribution of cca. 0.8 EUR per month from 200 of us.

Anyhow:

THANK YOU!

You know who and why...

Old March 29th, 2013, 10:24 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Aww Man! This Sucks!!, That said I understand your reasons Morgoth ,I just wish it wasn't true.

To all my friends and to all the staff past and present Thank you for helping to make my HP experiences so truly fantastic. I have learned so much about the HP books and the Internet from being a part of this site.
My only regret is I never learned to type with more than one finger , the fun would have been even better if I had learned to use two.

Goodbye, Farewell, and to the last one out don't forget to turn out the lights .

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old March 29th, 2013, 10:30 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post
Amazingly, this site will end with me never once being invited to Hogsmeade.
That's why they call it "Chamber of Secrets" (ie "forever stuck in second year" )

Severus Snape ~ The Boy Who Loved
Closed Thread
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services