Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series

Old September 12th, 2012, 3:02 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Best and Worst Chemistry in the HP Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsAndShadows View Post
A dead woman who liked you once but never did love you?
Obviously Lily never held a romantic love for Sev, but at one time she did love him as a best friend.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2012, 4:51 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic View Post
Well, grief can sort of mess with your mind for a while...
I'm sorry, but I don't follow you here. What grief messed up whose mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Obviously Lily never held a romantic love for Sev, but at one time she did love him as a best friend.
I meant romantic love, I should have specified that.

Old September 12th, 2012, 5:03 am
Sixth Year

Snape's grief over Lily's death, and seeing her dead corpse right in front of him, most likely messed him up to the point he just held her and didn't even register baby Harry crying for a little while.

Old September 12th, 2012, 5:21 am
Banned

Quote:
Snape's grief over Lily's death, and seeing her dead corpse right in front of him, most likely messed him up to the point he just held her and didn't even register baby Harry crying for a little while.
That's a kind explanation. But it does not explain why, later, Snape was so hard on Harry. The son of the woman he professes to love, and he makes his life miserable?

I'm afraid we're going off-topic, though.

So, to get back on: the chemistry between Alan and Dan was perfect, in their mutual antagonism and dislike of each other.

Old September 12th, 2012, 5:23 am
Sixth Year

Jason Isaacs and Tom Felton had good chemistry too, you could buy them as Father and Son even though I always found Lucius more intimidating than Draco ever was.

Last edited by ShadowSonic; September 12th, 2012 at 1:50 pm. Reason: Edited to avoid confusion.
Old September 12th, 2012, 10:23 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Remember guys it's about the chemistry between movie actors not about the book characters. So please use the actors names to avoid confusion.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old September 12th, 2012, 11:18 pm
Second Year

Just gussing. But Bonnie Wright might have had some chemistry with Young Gindlewald, or else they never would have gotten engaged.

Old September 14th, 2012, 11:42 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsAndShadows View Post
That's a kind explanation. But it does not explain why, later, Snape was so hard on Harry. The son of the woman he professes to love, and he makes his life miserable?
It's possible that Snape wanted to keep the memory of their friendship pleasant, and he might have felt that Lily betrayed the memory of the friendship by being with James. To me, nothing would be more insulting than someone who I once considered my closest friend choosing to be with someone who they knew treated me badly. Harry is a constant reminder of that, so it's possible that Snape's bitterness toward Harry not only stems from his bitterness toward James, but Lily was well.

Enough of that, back on topic.
I loved the chemistry between Daniel and Alan. There was just something so visceral about it and it really was a pleasure watching them on screen. The same with Gambon and Smith. They made McGonagall and Dumbledore's relationship seem almost romantic.

I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?
Old September 15th, 2012, 7:30 am
First Year

Another pairing to be thrown into the 'worst' pool - Dom Gleason and Clemence Poesy. Granted, Bill and Fleur just never should have happened in the WB Films...but really, I don't think a single person accepted them as married. Or even interested.

Me and one of my best friends post-DH2.
Old September 16th, 2012, 2:43 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Gambon View Post
Granted, Bill and Fleur just never should have happened in the WB Films...but really, I don't think a single person accepted them as married. Or even interested.
I agree. And even then, Bill was innocuous enough in the books, and in reality, I didn't even care about him and Fleur then.

It also was kind of pointless that the didn't introduce him in the movies until Deathly Hallows, and I don't think it helped Fleur's situation that (perhaps it was just me) she was a joke for a champion back in GOF.

I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?
Old September 17th, 2012, 10:43 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
They just seemed very flat when they were acting opposite each other to me, like Michael was speaking to Dan and Dan was just waiting to recite back his lines. It's a very intangible thing and all I can do to really explain it is to say that when Dan was against Alan or against Gary or against Ralph his acting seemed to improve because he was opposite someone who he either greatly respected or was giving it 100,000% in their delivery and he had to match their performance. I guess I just don't think he gave the same gusto to his performances against Michael. Again, it's hard to describe...
I see. Thanks for the explaination . It did kind of seem that way between them in some of their scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock27 View Post
Chemistry is in the eye of the beholder, and should not influence or dictate how the story is told. I dread to think what the film makers would have done had they had more liberty with the characters.

Mark Williams and Julie Walters for best.
Good point. But on a side note, I think it can kind of add to a film at times. If something stands out in that way, it can really bring a person into the film itself.

As for what the film makers would have done... I would have dreaded it as well.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; September 17th, 2012 at 10:46 pm.
Old September 20th, 2012, 6:57 am
First Year

Best: Emma and Dan (not original of course but undeniable, nothing else comes close)
Worst: Dan and Bonnie (again not original!)
Mediocre: Rupert and Emma

Funny, with the books, I was a huge R/Hr shipper. But the movies, complete opposite - Emma and Dan just steal the show - its frankly astonishing just how physical they are with each other, and not in a platonic way - i have plenty of female relatives and friends and i never touch them the way these two touch each other.

Old September 20th, 2012, 10:33 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianavery View Post
Best: Emma and Dan (not original of course but undeniable, nothing else comes close)
Worst: Dan and Bonnie (again not original!)
Mediocre: Rupert and Emma

Funny, with the books, I was a huge R/Hr shipper. But the movies, complete opposite - Emma and Dan just steal the show - its frankly astonishing just how physical they are with each other, and not in a platonic way - i have plenty of female relatives and friends and i never touch them the way these two touch each other.
Dan and Emma are good friends in RL; Rupe not so much.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old September 20th, 2012, 10:56 pm
Sixth Year

Yeah, Rupert is actually friendlier with Tom Felton than he is with Emma or Dan I think.

Old September 20th, 2012, 11:18 pm
First Year

I don't see anything particularly remarkable about Dan's and Emma's chemistry. They just benefited from the writers scripting lots of physical contact between them. And some of it (I'm thinking the scene where Emma looks at Dan's hand for the "I Must Not Tell Lies" scar in OotP and pretty much all of their interaction in POA) is extremely awkward and demonstrates a lack of chemistry if anything. They were quite good in HBP though, I'll give them that.

For best chemistry, I'd say the Phelps brothers. I don't know, it was almost like they really were twins or something

Old September 22nd, 2012, 9:43 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeverusSnapeHBP View Post
I loved the chemistry between Daniel and Alan. There was just something so visceral about it and it really was a pleasure watching them on screen. The same with Gambon and Smith. They made McGonagall and Dumbledore's relationship seem almost romantic.
Yes about Daniel and Alan, I loved their scenes together, how there's this smoldering hatred underneath their least interactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderHooligan View Post
For best chemistry, I'd say the Phelps brothers. I don't know, it was almost like they really were twins or something
Well, they are twins, aren't they? Or am I missing something?

Old September 22nd, 2012, 10:28 pm
Sixth Year

Tender was making a joke, .

Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:44 pm
Banned

Quote:
Tender was making a joke, .
Oh. Silly me. Thanks for pointing out the humour I misssed.

Quote:
Dan and Emma are good friends in RL; Rupe not so much.
We do have to take real life relationships into account, don't we? That does explain it.

Tom Felton is also friends with Emma, isn't he? I remember a video of him dancing with her, in their Yule Ball costumes. They seemed to have had a great time. Too bad there's not too much interaction between them in the movies, apart from that scene where she punches and shoves him - that one was great!

Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:51 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyannaS View Post

Tom Felton is also friends with Emma, isn't he? I remember a video of him dancing with her, in their Yule Ball costumes. They seemed to have had a great time. Too bad there's not too much interaction between them in the movies, apart from that scene where she punches and shoves him - that one was great!
They really discussed the punch... Tom was like "Come on, Emma, give it all you got!" and she really punched him, and she felt so bad for it.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:52 pm
Sixth Year

Rupert was also the oldest of the three, so maybe that played a bit into RL relationships between them.

Quote:
They really discussed the punch... Tom was like "Come on, Emma, give it all you got!" and she really punched him, and she felt so bad for it.
Originally, it was meant to be a slap like the book. She really slapped him and felt awful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L486V...eature=related

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies