Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Polyjuice actors

Old August 20th, 2011, 10:17 pm
Second Year

Re: Polyjuice actors

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Stands to reason you'd have the voice of the polyjuiced person -- you'd have their vocal chords. Sometimes the decisions of the movie people are puzzling to me. On the other hand it would be confusing if we didn't hear Harry's and Ron's voices, wouldn't it?
Yeah, that was what I thought. And also, I thought it was mentioned in CoS somewhere, that Harry was surprised to hear Crabbe's voice coming from Ron's stall, or something. But I'm not sure if I remember that correctly.

It might be a bit confusing, but then again, we know they used Polyjuice Potion, so we know we're actually watching & hearing Harry and Ron.

Wand: Larch, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4, Slightly Yielding
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:26 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielo View Post
It might be a bit confusing, but then again, we know they used Polyjuice Potion, so we know we're actually watching & hearing Harry and Ron.
I thought it was a nice touch Ron didn't recognise Harry disguised as Runcorn. It was funny, and at the same time reminded the audience which was which.

Old August 20th, 2011, 10:27 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwendolen View Post
I thought it was a nice touch Ron didn't recognise Harry disguised as Runcorn. It was funny, and at the same time reminded the audience which was which.
Yeah, I agree, that was funny.

And I did need a reminder, because with so many things happening all at once, it was a bit difficult to remember those new faces.

Old August 20th, 2011, 10:29 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Stands to reason you'd have the voice of the polyjuiced person -- you'd have their vocal chords. Sometimes the decisions of the movie people are puzzling to me. On the other hand it would be confusing if we didn't hear Harry's and Ron's voices, wouldn't it?
I'd think they'd have to have the same voices in order for Crouch Jr. to have successfully made Dumbledore think he was Moody. If I remember correctly, Dumbledore knew Moody for a very long time.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:32 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
I'd think they'd have to have the same voices in order for Crouch Jr. to have successfully made Dumbledore think he was Moody. If I remember correctly, Dumbledore knew Moody for a very long time.
Oh, good point! That's the only instant in the movies when Polyjuice Potion was used and the taker actually had the voice of the person he was impersonating.
(But, yeah, it would've been a dead give-away [and a much shorter film] if Moody had been using Barty Crouch's voice.)

Old August 22nd, 2011, 3:10 pm
First Year

wow i totally forgot that they were different actors hahahaha that's pathetic.

anyway, like everyone else i believe that Helena did a great job as Hermione. she is a brilliant actress no doubt. the Crabbe and Goyle actors did rather well too in CoS.

Radcliffe didn't really have to act all that much during the "7 Potters" scene though it was rather enjoyable.

I like Mafalda, Runcorn, and Cattermole but espcially the men.

Did anyone else notice that in CoS they have Crabbe and Goyle's voices? And in GoF he had Moody's voice? afterwards, they made them have the real characters voice. i believe it was more accurate to the book in the beginning movies because i distinctly remember in the book Harry saying "...came Goyle's deep grunt to his right" when Ron spoke. They probably changed this in the later films to avoid confusion on which character was which

"By Gryffindor, the bravest were prized far beyond the rest."

"Of course is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
Old August 22nd, 2011, 4:42 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxhpxox
Did anyone else notice that in CoS they have Crabbe and Goyle's voices? And in GoF he had Moody's voice? afterwards, they made them have the real characters voice. i believe it was more accurate to the book in the beginning movies because i distinctly remember in the book Harry saying "...came Goyle's deep grunt to his right" when Ron spoke. They probably changed this in the later films to avoid confusion on which character was which
Actually, in the CoS film Harry and Ron retain their voices upon taking Polyjuice Potion. I believe Harry (as Goyle) says, "We still sound like ourselves" and tells Ron (as Crabbe): "You need to sound more like Crabbe."

Thus, in the CoS film (unlike the book) Polyjuice Potion does not change the drinker's voice. This is true in the two DH films as well. However, in GoF it appears that Polyjuice Potion did change Barty Crouch's voice upon transforming into Moody. That, or Barty Crouch was simply an excellent imitator of Moody's voice (which is unlikely).

Therefore, we can note a minor inconsistency within the films, in which CoS, DH Part 1, and DH Part 2 Polyjuice Potion does not change the voice of the drinker, but in GoF it does. In this vein, GoF is the only book-accurate interpretation of Polyjuice Potion's voice effects.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old August 25th, 2011, 6:27 am
First Year

I assumed that it was presented that Crouch, Jr. was an excellent imitator. He does a bang-on Robbie Coltrane in the final showdown - "Marvelous creatures, dragons?" I thought that was meant as an indicator he could impersonate people.

I thought whoever played Cattermole was PERFECTION. I completely forgot he wasn't Rupert Grint.

Me and one of my best friends post-DH2.
Old August 25th, 2011, 6:39 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Gambon View Post

I thought whoever played Cattermole was PERFECTION. I completely forgot he wasn't Rupert Grint.
very true, he captured his/ron's expressions perfectly!

"Of course is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
Old August 25th, 2011, 2:03 pm
Second Year

I think Helena played Hermione perfectly. She already does (did?) play Bellatrix very well, and playing Hermione on top of that was a job well done.

"Dobby has no master. Dobby is a free elf and Dobby has come to save Harry Potter and his friends!"

Proud Hufflepuff

Friend -- For the Greater Good
Old August 25th, 2011, 7:47 pm
First Year

Quote:
Maybe for people who had no idea what's going on. I mean, COS was so obvious, 'Crabbe and Goyle' sounded just like Harry and Ron, surely Draco would have thought something was odd.

"It’s the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more."
Pottermore: DawnWolfsbane66

Last edited by DarkLordRising; August 25th, 2011 at 7:49 pm.
Old August 28th, 2011, 11:54 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLordRising View Post
Maybe for people who had no idea what's going on. I mean, COS was so obvious, 'Crabbe and Goyle' sounded just like Harry and Ron, surely Draco would have thought something was odd.
i personally did not need a reminder but i see why some may. i believe they also kept harry's hair black and ron's lightish red/orange (but more blonde) in order to have less confusion. i also believe that they keep the actor's voices as the original character in the later books in order to avoid confusion. because in CoS ron and harry did not have crabbe's and goyle's voices and in GoF crouch had moody's but every time afterwards the original character retained their voiced and did not have that of the person that they were impersonating.

Old August 29th, 2011, 12:30 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathsheda View Post

DH1:
Daniel Radcliffe as Fleur/Hermione/Fred/George/Ron/Mundungus-Harry
David O’Hara as Runcorn-Harry
Sophie Thompson as Mafalda-Hermione
Steffan Rhodri as Cattermole-Ron

DH2:
Helena Bonham-Carter as Bellatrix-Hermione

I think Dan did a great job in the Seven Potters scene. It was real fun.

And Helena did a brilliant job playing Hermione. I thought the way she stumbled on those high heels was a really nice touch.

I also really liked David O'Hara as Runcorn-Harry. I liked how perplexed he looked most of the time.
I loved david n helenas portayals of harry n hermione, too. Right down to their gestures and the way they walked.... Two very talented actors, obviously they did their research n these two to get the characters so perfect! I swear i could actually SEE Harry in Runcorn...

Old August 29th, 2011, 7:02 am
First Year

I think the Moody/Crouch thing was explained somewhere (I'm not sure where, but it was in an interview) that the reason that Moody/Crouch sounded like his 'real' self was that Crouch was so intelligent. In the book it says that Crouch had earned 12 O.W.L.s, so he could probably imitate Moody without anyone (especially Dumbledore!) catching on.

Not sure where the reference is, but I'll try to look it up!

"It unscrews the other way."--McGonagall to Peeves, Order of the Phoenix.

"Here lies Dobby, a free elf"--Deathly Hallows.

"I'll join you when hell freezes over! Dumbledore's Army!"--Neville Longbottom, Deathly Hallows
Old September 8th, 2011, 7:14 am
First Year

I have to give to
DH2:
Helena Bonham-Carter as Bellatrix-Hermione

i thought she did an outstanding job

Old October 20th, 2012, 5:52 pm
First Year

With Crouch/Moody, I've also heard that
it was because Crouch was better at making
Polyjuice Potion than Hermione.

However, since that would be very unlikely, IMHO,
I will accept that Crouch was a great impersonator.

BTW, watching the Bellatrix scene, I thought it was Emma Watson.

Old October 20th, 2012, 6:00 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscowKrum View Post
With Crouch/Moody, I've also heard that
it was because Crouch was better at making
Polyjuice Potion than Hermione.

However, since that would be very unlikely, IMHO,
I will accept that Crouch was a great impersonator.

BTW, watching the Bellatrix scene, I thought it was Emma Watson.
It was Helena, playing Bellatrix as Emma told her Hermione would act if she impersonated her. It was also Emma's voice.

That's one thing that bugged me in the movies - your vocal chords would change to match the person you changed into, along with the rest of your physical features, I think.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown
Old October 20th, 2012, 6:33 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
It was Helena, playing Bellatrix as Emma told her Hermione would act if she impersonated her. It was also Emma's voice.

That's one thing that bugged me in the movies - your vocal chords would change to match the person you changed into, along with the rest of your physical features, I think.
I think they had to do it that way for the films. Otherwise, the transformations could have been confusing for the movie-only crowd. I would imagine also that they had JKR's blessing to do it that way.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old October 20th, 2012, 8:06 pm
First Year

Helena was so convincing as Hermione playing Bellatrix that I paused the film to see if it wasn't just Emma dressed as Bellatrix.

I also really enjoyed the actors who portrayed the trio in the Ministry.

Old October 21st, 2012, 1:35 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbusLongbottom View Post
Helena was so convincing as Hermione playing Bellatrix that I paused the film to see if it wasn't just Emma dressed as Bellatrix.

I also really enjoyed the actors who portrayed the trio in the Ministry.
Yes, the trio at the Ministry were hilarious and the guy who played Ron really convinced me!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies