Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Things that bothered you about the final film

Old July 17th, 2011, 3:47 am
Sixth Year

Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKasparRollins View Post
That may have been the point. It's out of character for Voldemort to ever do something like that to anyone, but I like to think his intent there was to creep Draco out.

My impression was that he did it to impress the observers of his 'humanity'.

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2011, 3:50 am
First Year

I must say, as a movie, it was a great flick. But it did vary from the book A LOT!

Some of the the things that bothered me:
1. Neville's Speech/Voldemort's Reaction: Like Voldemort ever would have let Neville go on and on like that. He would have shut him up about 2 seconds in.

2. The reaction of everyone (or should I say lack of reaction) when they brought Harry's body back from the forest. Where was the screaming, the crying, the people running in from Hogsmeade, the centaurs???? The only one who yelled NO was Ginny.

3. Like others have said, the lack of reaction after Voldemort was killed. How awkward to just have Harry strolling through the Great Hall and no one is paying attention to him.

4. 19 Years Later - After Harry tells James about the Sorting Hat taking the student's choice into account, I was waiting for him to say, "It did for me." Minor thing, but it would have showed quite the connection between Harry and his son. Plus no one paying attention to Harry at King's Cross. Everyone is supposed to be staring at him and Ron says, "It's because I'm famous." Would have been nice to have one last laugh thanks to Ron at the end of the movie. And was I mistaken, or did Harry not have a scar in the King's Cross scene?

A lot of my gripes just have to do with Harry and Voldemort's characterizations on screen which vary from the book quite a bit. It was a good movie like I said, but I'm glad I have my books!

Old July 17th, 2011, 3:55 am
Sixth Year

You are right. I didn't really notice a scar in the epilogue.

Old July 17th, 2011, 3:56 am
Second Year

- Howarts being different yet again.

- They way the death of Fred was handled, as well as Lupin and Tonks.

- The non-reaction to Voldemort's death and the final duel taking place in the courtyard.

- Using the boatshed instead of the Shrieking Shack.

- Lack of battles scenes including other characters.

- Bellatrix shattering and Voldemort disintegrating when they died.

- No Ravenclaw common room scene.

- No mention of Harry being the master of death.

- No explanation as to why Harry wasn't properly killed in the forest. This one has to be a legitimate mistake by the film makers.

- Harry snapping the wand.

- Ghosts being portrayed differently than they were in previous films.

That's all I can think of right now.

Last edited by Your_Holeyness; July 17th, 2011 at 3:58 am.
Old July 17th, 2011, 4:07 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKasparRollins View Post
That may have been the point. It's out of character for Voldemort to ever do something like that to anyone, but I like to think his intent there was to creep Draco out.
Oh, I'm sure that was the point. Voldemort's intent is something murkier to pin down, but Ralph Fiennes' Voldemort has always seemed to me somehow oilier, more manipulative, than the Voldemort in the books. To me that terribly awkward hug (an attempt at some kind of expression of some bizarre human affection) seems in character--at least movie-wise--for Voldemort.

Edit to clarify: By saying that was the point, I mean the filmmakers' point, not Voldemort's point.

Last edited by Fishielicious; July 17th, 2011 at 4:40 am.
Old July 17th, 2011, 4:29 am
First Year

I would have liked to have seen Harry kick Voldy's behind with his words as opposed to Voldemort just chasing Harry around for a while. The films make Harry look weak - like in King's Cross when Dumbledore leaves and he's still calling to him, "What should I do Professor?" Harry knew what he needed to do. They never show him as the leader he really is. Showing the true scene between Harry and Voldemort could have brought that home for non-book readers, who might just think Harry is lucky, as Voldemort did.

And yeah - the hug was really creepy. At that point, I don't think Lucius and Narcissa would have let Voldemort touch Draco.

Old July 17th, 2011, 4:33 am
Registered Animagus

I think the film suggested that Voldemort died because Neville killed the snake and the elder wand plot was an afterthought.

They didn't show enough of the DA dueling in the film meaning they didn't show them dueling at all.

The Molly/Bellatrix duel was too short.

Fred's death was off screen and then when they showed his body it was still unclear for way too long who was dead and then whether or not they were even dead and not just injured.

They didn't explain why Harry was able to come back to life.

Voldemort's slow motion flaking death explosion.

The film was so disjointed that it barely made any sense to me and i have read the book many times. People kept just appearing places. Hagrid in the forest. Luna in the room of requirements. Percy in the great hall. Also they failed in explaining what was happen in most scenes and what they were trying to do.

Old July 17th, 2011, 4:39 am
First Year

battle too short

the opening going straighti nto lilys theme (i loved the piece and the scene but...) w/o walking it through hedwigs theme first like all the other films did they all did that but this one why break the routine now? it felt weird

the cutting of ron's "NEVER" and "LIAR" lines from the b-rolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
Ehhh i dunno. I have some mixed feelings about that and i was all "Nooo! Poor Lavender!" But i actually thought the bit where Trelawney comforting Parvati was really nice to add. I wish we could have seen Trelawney take Greyback out with her crystal balls though.

I dont have a lot of beefs with this film. Some things that bug me but its just the purist in me:

Fred not dying in front of Harry. His death was pretty anticlimactic and that bothered me. That is perhaps the only major beef i have.

Percy appearing out of nowhere. I was all "Oh hai Percy! Nice of you to show up but..where did you come from?!" The kid sitting in front of me gave me a look like "lol..."

No Ravenclaw common room. How i was looking forward to seeing that. Oh well.

No confrontation with the Carrows. Sure it would have been MESSED UP for many non-readers to see Harry use the Cruciatus curse but still. The Carrows had like, no lines.

No Teen Lily and Severus. Again, this really didnt bother me like it should have because the entirety of that part was so well done. But it would have cleared some things up for non-readers.

Harry not delivering the "Reason You Suck Speech" to Voldy. He did give some of it but not all of it.

Dumbledore/Aberforth backstory being all but omitted. Again, no real beef. It would have slowed things down a bit if it were added but it would have been cool to see.

Also why no resolve with Pettigrew?
she got so ate

she got all ate up

Last edited by Voldemort_Jones; July 17th, 2011 at 4:47 am.
Old July 17th, 2011, 4:47 am
First Year

I agree that the final battle b/w Harry & Voldemort should've had more dialouge.

Old July 17th, 2011, 4:47 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolanBerlin View Post
You didnt get my point. In the book, which is THE real canon, When they duel each other, The elder wand is rebounding Voldemort's AK on himself.

But in the film, As long as Nagini Lived, Harry and Voldemort did the whole "Avada Kedavra/Expeliarmus" TONS OF TIME. But when Nagini dies, the elder wand didn't work for him... It's stupid! The elder wand dosent suppose to work for him either way... It dosen't matter if Nagini is dead or not.
Yeah this was an inconsistency within the filmverse. The spells should have rebounded and Voldemort should have entered the half life because Nagini was still alive. Nagini being alive should not have made it impossible for Voldemort to be killed and why would that stop the spell from rebounding. It made no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyEvans13060 View Post
I would have liked to have seen Harry kick Voldy's behind with his words as opposed to Voldemort just chasing Harry around for a while. The films make Harry look weak - like in King's Cross when Dumbledore leaves and he's still calling to him, "What should I do Professor?" Harry knew what he needed to do. They never show him as the leader he really is. Showing the true scene between Harry and Voldemort could have brought that home for non-book readers, who might just think Harry is lucky, as Voldemort did..
I did not like the "what should i do professor" line as well. Why in the world would Harry not know what he was going to do and why would he ask Dumbledore of all people? It didn't make sense to me, but very little of the dialogue in the King's Cross scene made sense to me.

Old July 17th, 2011, 4:52 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by James26 View Post
I know they explained Lavender being attacked in the books, but I thought she was only injured!
I was under the impression in the book she was only injured as well. She falls from the balcony and Harry sees an animal shape figure run towards her and Hermione blasts Greyback off her before he really has a chance to do anything then he sees Lavender is stirring feebly. So from that i was under the impression that she lived because she is never mentioned as being dead. Neville doesnt even mention she is dead in the movie either again confusing.

The whole Percy thing i was watching a behind the scenes clip yesterday of snape vs mcgongall and they showed towards the end where all the DA walk in then a few seconds later Percy walks in behind Fred and George and they both turn around and see him then turn to look at each other and smile. I dont understand why this was never show in the movie when it was shot unless it was in the movie and it was blink and u miss it :S

I dont understand why they didnt take 2 seconds to just say Tonks is pregnant which would have made Lupin having a son make sense. I know they shot Teddy in the epilogue and apparently David Yates at the last minute cut it according to the actor he also said it would be on the dvd.

I hated Harry snapping the elder wand. I was inwardly screaming "WHAT ARE YOU DOING!" That scene bugged me more then anything

Neville and Luna that annoyed me slightly i did ship them before the last book but they both end up with diffrent people so it wasnt really canon

Old July 17th, 2011, 4:52 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
Yeah this was an inconsistency within the filmverse. The spells should have rebounded and Voldemort should have entered the half life because Nagini was still alive. Nagini being alive should not have made it impossible for Voldemort to be killed and why would that stop the spell from rebounding. It made no sense.
I think this was just the film simplifying things for the audience. The idea became simply that Voldemort would stay alive as long as he had horcruxes still intact. And thus, the audience is supposed to think that the reason Harry went through the trouble of hunting down all the horcruxes first was because it was the only way to kill Voldemort.
It doesn't bother me that they did this. It makes it neater and easier to understand for those who didn't read the books.

Old July 17th, 2011, 4:59 am
Fourth Year

My only beef with the movie was the lack of explanation of Snape and Lily. I mean, that did deserve more time. Loved the part when he clutched Lily's lifeless body(tears were overflowing), but for the untrained Potterfan, it lacked closure....

Also, we needed to see the untold story of Albus, this man crafted this whole saga, he needed to be explained more. I know they were working with a time limit, but I wanted to see as much as possible. this series has been apart of my life, and I wanted it all, I was left a little unsatisfied....

Old July 17th, 2011, 5:05 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGurl08 View Post
I think this was just the film simplifying things for the audience. The idea became simply that Voldemort would stay alive as long as he had horcruxes still intact. And thus, the audience is supposed to think that the reason Harry went through the trouble of hunting down all the horcruxes first was because it was the only way to kill Voldemort.
It doesn't bother me that they did this. It makes it neater and easier to understand for those who didn't read the books.
I think that is what they were doing as well. The issue is that it is a huge inconsistency within the filmverse. I mean the whole point of the first four films was Voldemort attempting to return to his body after a spell backfires on him causing him to enter the half life and now all of the sudden he can't be killed because Nagini is still alive. I mean there is streamlining the plot and there is not having it make sense. I think it didn't make sense.

Old July 17th, 2011, 5:10 am
First Year

First of all let me say I saw HP DH pt 2 on Friday morning. It was my first 3D movie and I don't think I will see it again in 3D, not worth it, but sort of cool.

I was unfortunately a bit disapointed with some points. Probably my over expectation.

1. Harry not even saying goodbye to Ron was inexcusable...... THEY ARE BEST FRIENDS!!!!!

2. The final battle was odd. To much left out, to much confusion, still don't understand the falling off the tower bit... Not needed IMO.

3. Harry's father in the forest scene, I wanted to shout "SAY SOMETHING TO HIM!!!!"

4. No Fred death scene.

5. No celebration for Harry when he defeats Voldy.

6. The epiluoge.... BAD.......

7. McGonnagal saying "I always wanted to do that" after summoning the soldiers..... UNFORGIVABLE!!!

Now, I will say Neville ROCKED this movie, he was AWESOME!!!!! And Snape's death scene moved me to tears, he was amazing...

It was a great movie one of my top 3 but I was expecting so much more as it is was a 2 parter. Thought it could have ended stronger.

Old July 17th, 2011, 5:18 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
My goodness. This was the least humourous HP ever. There were barely a few chuckles and the ones that were in weren't too funny either. A very serious HP in my opinion.
My audience laughed way too much; you have Neville on the bridge taunting Voldemort's suppports (it was obviously supposed to be funny) and him rising up after destroying the bridge; then you have Ron's goofy run and screaming when warning the other two about the fire in the Room of Requirement; then you have Voldemort hugging Draco. That's too much for me. There should be very little lightheartedness in a movie where so much is at stake, where bodies are dropping left and right.

Old July 17th, 2011, 5:19 am
Curse Breaker

As this was the final part of the last book film, I think I was more critical watching it than normal. Until now, I've been able to shrug off the differences as long as the spirit of the books was there.....

So, here's a list of what bothered me, and one for things I was sorry they left out:

Bothered me

I didn't care for the way they separated Harry's battle with Voldemort from the fighting by the rest of the Hogwarts defenders.

I thought they wrote Snape's part (which Alan Rickman played brilliantly, by the way) as if he were a saint.

I wish they hadn't changed the way Neville confronted Voldemort, although I'm really glad they gave him a version of it, and still had him kill Nagini.

The battle between Molly & Bellatrix was too short -- they didn't let Bella be her normal evil taunting self.

Sorry this was left out

The part where Voldemort & Harry circle each other, with Harry telling Voldemort what the situation really is and Voldemort not getting it; there's also the lost opportunity for the wizarding community to witness it, and the resulting cheer of victory.

I wish the trio had gone up to the headmaster's office, and the book had been followed more closely for that scene. I realize that snapping the Elder Wand in two was a different way of showing Harry's rejection of power, but I think it was a less satisfying way to do it. And we don't see Harry repair his Phoenix wand.

....I miss David Tennant....

Last edited by HedwigOwl; July 17th, 2011 at 5:22 am. Reason: typo
Old July 17th, 2011, 5:24 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I thought they wrote Snape's part (which Alan Rickman played brilliantly, by the way) as if he were a saint.
When i saw this I instantly thought: people who really, really hate Snape may end up hating the movie as well. I think the way they did it was fine because the prophecy isn't detailed much in the film series.

Last edited by NumberEight; July 17th, 2011 at 5:52 am.
Old July 17th, 2011, 5:29 am
First Year

Quote:
still don't understand the falling off the tower bit... Not needed IMO.
I don't get it either. First, Voldemort would never ever physically touch Harry. We have seen what happens when they touch, and it doesn't turn out well for him. Second, they fell off a tower! Wizards are human! Wouldn't they have died or at least been injured? Harry anyways.

Quote:
There should be very little lightheartedness in a movie where so much is at stake, where bodies are dropping left and right.
You are absolutely right. But this movie, none of the movies, have the same darkness as the books. They want to make it child friendly and therefore take the terror out of it. Though I must say, if I was a kid and saw DH2, I'd be petrified of snakes forever.

Old July 17th, 2011, 5:35 am
First Year

The way they portrayed Snape and Lily's friendship when they were young has been bothering me for quite a while now. I wish they showed them as best friends like they were in the books, not with Snape admiring Lily from a distance. I was also hoping for some scenes during their teenage years and Snape's jealousy of James Potter; it would've showed him in a more humane way and that he was capable of feelings like envy, as well as any person.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies