Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Things that bothered you about the final film

Old July 16th, 2011, 11:08 pm
Third Year

Re: Things that bothered you about the final film

I thought the Draco-Voldy hug was a nice touch, pun intended.

Actually, I thought it looked creepy, and very awkward--which is exactly what a hug from Voldemort should have been. To me, Draco clearly looks disgusted, and Voldemort looked as if he didn't quite know what he was doing. I'd imagine hugging isn't something that comes natural to him. It was like he was feeling extra menacing, happy, and unhinged all at once, after finally having "killed" Harry, and the hug was something impromptu that he did. It was showing is superficial appreciation of Malfoy, after he knows he has humiliated and abused the entire Malfoy family.

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:31 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotterGurl08 View Post
I thought the Draco-Voldy hug was a nice touch, pun intended.

Actually, I thought it looked creepy, and very awkward--which is exactly what a hug from Voldemort should have been. To me, Draco clearly looks disgusted, and Voldemort looked as if he didn't quite know what he was doing.
Exactly what I thought of the hug too. And as Slarti mentioned, "Draco's reaction is utter revulsion."

I really liked the hug because it was just soooooooo uncomfortable and it showed that Draco was never going to be a DE-fanboy again. He just wanted out of there.

I loved how quickly he and his mother walked away from the scene, while Lucius was looking all confused! Like: "Which way do I go? Oh what the heck! After Narcissa and Draco, I guess!"

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old July 16th, 2011, 11:54 pm
First Year

Now that I think about it... Luna ends up with Newt Scamander and Neville with Hannah Abbott o.O it was evidently a teen crush lol

Old July 17th, 2011, 12:02 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast View Post
lol why? I thought it was pretty awesome in a very disturbing way. Draco's reaction was utter revulsion. It drives a point home: Draco isnt loyal to Voldy, hes loyal to his family. Also showing Voldy's total sanity slippage.
Because Voldemort does not hug people, I don't care who you are. I think Voldemort at that point was the happiest he'd ever been, but he still would have never done that. In fact I think he was beside himself with happiness, but it was still entirely out of character. I never felt like Voldemort was incredibly fond of Draco in any way, so I just don't understand this. If it had been Neville who had walked over, would Voldemort have hugged him? No, I don't think so. Book Voldemort wouldn't have valued Draco enough to have hugged him since he evidently thought Draco, or anyone for that matter, a disposable object. The hug was basically a "good job, you are mine now" type of thing that could have been achieved with a crazy smile or a laugh.

*Nikky wanted a mention*
Old July 17th, 2011, 12:15 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfast
lol why? I thought it was pretty awesome in a very disturbing way. Draco's reaction was utter revulsion. It drives a point home: Draco isnt loyal to Voldy, hes loyal to his family. Also showing Voldy's total sanity slippage.
I think the hug worked for how Voldemort was portrayed in this film. To me, Ralph Fiennes added much more humanity and less intimidation and daunting power to Voldemort. As Voldemort's Horcruxes were destroyed, Fiennes paralleled that by making Voldemort seem more and more human. I think the hug emphasizes that.

I do agree that the hug does not fit the book character, but I think we have to realize that the characterization in the films, while similar, is altered from the book. I, too, found the hug to be very awkward, out of place, and shocking, and I think that is what the filmmakers wanted to convey. It emphasized Draco's true loyalties and, in a way, did make Voldemort more disturbing.

But I still think that I prefer the book version where Voldemort expects everyone to bow down to him due to his unmatched power and ruthlessness. And if someone refuses, Voldemort would dispose of them. I prefer that characterization, but I am unsure it would have worked with the route the filmmakers chose to take Voldemort. But I do agree that the hug does bother me, given my book purist attitude and at how bothersome it was just to see Voldemort hug someone!

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old July 17th, 2011, 12:18 am
First Year

I know they explained Lavender being attacked in the books, but I thought she was only injured!

CoS House: Pottermore House:

Last edited by James26; July 17th, 2011 at 12:26 am.
Old July 17th, 2011, 12:24 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolanBerlin View Post
2. Nagini is dead, so Voldemort is dead? Really?! Oh C'mon.
Voldemort was weakened because of the horcrux being destroyed. When they cast their spells again, Harry was able to overpower Voldemort (or so it seemed), and the Killing Curse crept up the Elder Wand (when it turned green) and up his hand. It took two viewings for me to see that...

Old July 17th, 2011, 12:25 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSeverus View Post
Voldemort was weakened because of the horcrux being destroyed. When they cast their spells again, Harry was able to overpower Voldemort (or so it seemed), and the Killing Curse crept up the Elder Wand (when it turned green) and up his hand. It took two viewings for me to see that...
*cough* golanberlin hasn't read the books *cough*

couldn't resist :L sorry

CoS House: Pottermore House:
Old July 17th, 2011, 12:29 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSeverus View Post
Didnt take me two viewings to notice that. I thought it was pretty obvious.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old July 17th, 2011, 12:35 am
Banned

My only complaints arise from the rushed nature of the beginning (will most likely be rectified when watching Part I before) and the unneeded humor. You don't put humor in the middle of a battle that's full of death. It's just like Dobby's nonsense in Part I: it's out of place.

Last edited by NumberEight; July 17th, 2011 at 12:39 am.
Old July 17th, 2011, 12:42 am
First Year

The movie was obviously dope, but of course as a prejudiced viewer with deeply internalized biases I have many quibbles:

1. I wish they had included Kreacher leading the house-elves into battle. I think that redemption/empowerment arc was really good in the books.

2. I wish we had seen Molly's take-down of Bellatrix in more dramatic fashion. I'm glad they included it, first and foremost, but the entire exchange leading up to it and that absolute domination Molly lays down on Bellatrix was definitely one of my favorite parts of the book.

3. Okay this one is definitely the most minor one and is a hugely silly quibble on my part, but: Snape was totally not in Godric's Hollow before Sirius, okay? OKAY? Also I wish they, in general, hadn't totally trivialized James. It's like, "Omg Harry's wonderful mother and some middle-aged guy she hangs out with." I mean, Harry barely even acknowledges him in the forest scene.

PS: I thought they did really well with Neville: making him seem very in-control and a total leader and all-around awesome. Apparently this is not a widely-shared belief?

Old July 17th, 2011, 1:16 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishielicious View Post
The movie was obviously dope, but of course as a prejudiced viewer with deeply internalized biases I have many quibbles:

1. I wish they had included Kreacher leading the house-elves into battle. I think that redemption/empowerment arc was really good in the books
If the house elves plot was in previous films, it would have worked.

Old July 17th, 2011, 1:23 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
If the house elves plot was in previous films, it would have worked.
You're right; I haven't seen the the Goblet of Fire movie in a while and forgot that S.P.E.W. wasn't in it. An understandable omission, but still one that rankles (at least to me. I doubt anyone else cares much about house-elves/Kreacher ha).

ETA: Also forgot that Harry giving Kreacher Regulus's locket wasn't in the first installment of DH either.

Last edited by Fishielicious; July 17th, 2011 at 1:39 am.
Old July 17th, 2011, 1:44 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by James26 View Post
*cough* golanberlin hasn't read the books *cough*

couldn't resist :L sorry

I READ THE BOOKS

You didnt get my point. In the book, which is THE REAL CANON, When they duel each other, The elder wand is rebounding Voldemort's AK on himself.

But in the film, As long as Nagini Lived, Harry and Voldemort did the whole "Avada Kedavra/Expeliarmus" TONS OF TIME. But when Nagini dies, the elder wand didn't work for him... It's stupid! The elder wand dosent suppose to work for him either way... It dosen't matter if Nagini is dead or not.

Old July 17th, 2011, 2:20 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberEight View Post
My only complaints arise from the rushed nature of the beginning (will most likely be rectified when watching Part I before) and the unneeded humor. You don't put humor in the middle of a battle that's full of death. It's just like Dobby's nonsense in Part I: it's out of place.

My goodness. This was the least humourous HP ever. There were barely a few chuckles and the ones that were in weren't too funny either. A very serious HP in my opinion.

So far the only thing that actually bothered me, was how did Luna come to be in the RoR when we had just seen her in Shell Cottage. I know she could have traveled there, but it just seemed to bug me...funny. Oh, and how we see the memory of Lily speaking to Harry. Huh? That's not Snapes memory, so what's it doing in there. Yes, I get it, exposition, but it jarred me out of the moment.

I didn't mind the hug. I found it properly disturbing.

Last edited by ajna; July 17th, 2011 at 2:22 am.
Old July 17th, 2011, 3:10 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by voldyisnoseless View Post

3. mcgonnagal was supposed to send pursuing daggers at snape, and he was supposed to be blocking them with armour.

4. no ravenclaw common room.

6. i wanted to see percy, fred, and the trio dueling death eaters, turning one of them into a sea urchin, and seeing freds death onscreen.

8. not enough battle scenes.

9. in the great hall, there were supposed to be lots of dueling scenes. 3 people (forgot their names) dueling bellatrix, hagrid throwing macnair, and other stuff.

10. after voldemort died, everyone was just sitting there like nothing happened
Those were the exact same things I was looking forward to as well. When Harry was going to the raven claw common room I couldn't wait to see it and Luna help him enter it. I also felt we were shortchanged with the dueling scenes. You are right, I do remember a 3 on 3 duel in the great hall. I was also expecting the daggers to come out with mcgonagall.

Old July 17th, 2011, 3:27 am
Second Year

The absence of Ted and the backstory of Dumbledore's grief over Ariana's death and stuff with Grindlewald was absent as well...

other than that the movie was great

oh and also need to emphasize more on the Prince's Tale so my water works could have been better.

Old July 17th, 2011, 3:31 am
Fifth Year

Qualifying this by saying this one is instantly one of my top two HP movies.

Oh man I completely forgot they didn't mention Harry's blood protection via his blood in Voldemort's body. Probably should have been kept, wouldn't have taken long to explain.

Agreeing with the sentiment that the final aftermath of Voldemort's defeat didn't fit the significance of the moment. Probably the biggest flaw.

I don't really have a problem with Harry telling Ron and Hermione he was going to die.

Didn't like the exploding bodies.

Harry and Voldemort's final duel didn't bother me - the book version would not have translated to film well (most long monologues and lengthy exposition scenes are cut down), so I understand it.

Old July 17th, 2011, 3:33 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
I didn't mind the hug. I found it properly disturbing.
I thought the hug was the most amazingly creepy thing. Just perfect. It looked as though Voldemort had never hugged a single person in his entire life, and I wouldn't be surprised if that were the truth. Draco couldn't have looked more horrified.

Old July 17th, 2011, 3:42 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishielicious View Post
I thought the hug was the most amazingly creepy thing. Just perfect. It looked as though Voldemort had never hugged a single person in his entire life, and I wouldn't be surprised if that were the truth. Draco couldn't have looked more horrified.
That may have been the point. It's out of character for Voldemort to ever do something like that to anyone, but I like to think his intent there was to creep Draco out.