Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

View Poll Results: Which movie is your favourite?
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone 10 4.55%
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 5 2.27%
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 51 23.18%
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 7 3.18%
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 14 6.36%
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 16 7.27%
Harry Pottter and the Deathly Hallows Part One 27 12.27%
Harry Pottter and the Deathly Hallows Part Two 90 40.91%
Voters: 220. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 23rd, 2011, 8:11 am
Second Year

Re: A series completed: Analysis of all eight movies in one

The movies

Which movie out of all eight of them is your favourite? Why?
-Right now it's a tie between POA and DH part 2. I loved the tone of POA, dark yet fun at the same time. I also loved the acting in it. DH part 2 was amazingly faithful to the book, and there are so many amazing parts in it.

If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it?
-Harry's flrst flight with Buckbeak in POA. For some reason it brings tears to my eyes. I love the music, the long shot, and I think it says so much about Harry's character. Sometimes he carries the weight of the world on his shoulder, but he's really just a kid.

Directing

Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World?
-I think to show the true magic through a child's eyes it would have to be Columbus. But then Yates showed how dangerous this world could be..so I guess I don't know!

Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies?
-No, because if we didn't like the director's vision it would have been too bad, we would've been stuck with it for 8 films. I shudder to think if Mike Newell had directed all of them.

Acting

Which character has had the best portrayal (script wise and acting wise)?
-Oh Snape, absolutely. Rickman was my favorite portrayal, and while he wasn't in too many scenes in the middle movies he was always true to the character of the books.

Cinematography, Set Design, Costume Design etc.

Which movie has the best cinematography?
-Prisoner of Azkaban

Best special effects?
-Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Overall verdict
Are you happy with the Harry Potter movies as a completed series?
-Yes, overall they have been a joy to see. It was a treat to see the world come to life (even if I can't bare to watch GOF or HBP lol)

"Prison Mike, what is the very worst thing about prison?"

"The worst thing about prison was...the DEMENTORS!...they were... flyin all over the place and they were scary and they suck the soul out of your body and it hoirts!"

I The Office
Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:11 pm
Second Year

Movies

My favourite films are still Half-Blood Prince and Prisoner of Azkaban. Out of these, I like Half-Blood Prince most, since I find is the richest both in terms of details and characterization and the one which was most coherently edited in terms of its style/artistic work and story elements. It is also the the adaptation that added most to my interpretation of the book.

Prisoner of Azkaban has a fine interpretation of the story, is often beautiful and has some exceptional approaches in terms of aestethic and visual work, as well as a great acting performance by Michael Gambon, but it´s a more uneven film than HBP.

Would I have had one director doing all the films?

No, I think any director would have lost their inspiration along the way if they had to do all the films. Also the the universe of the films change along the way, which requires directors with different approaches.
I´m a little curious, though, what Cuaron would have come up with if he had got the opportunity to direct another film.

Best cinematography

Both PoA, HBP and DH1 have truly wonderful cinematography, so it´s hard to choose. In the end I think the cinematography of DH1 is just a fraction better than the two others.

Best props and set design

Half-Blood Prince has the best set design, "Borgin and Burkes", "Room of Requirement", "Dumbledore´s office" to mention a few. Yates more quiet approach also allows the details of the props and the set design to shine

Storytelling
The coming of age of the trio is the part of the series which is best fleshed out, although several aspects are developed well throughout the series.

Acting:

There are several outstanding acting performances, but out of these I think Alan Rickman as Snape has been the best. The way the films have been scripted he has been allowed a great range of scenes..
Michael Gambon isn´t far behind, though.

Overall verdict

Overall I´m very satisfied with the series, although I would have liked the directors to trim their films - only OoTP didn´t need any trimming at all - and dare to make more changes. When I look at all the films I think they´ve been able to retain and develop most of the significant elements of the story as well as having a good continuity throughout the series. When I see how consistent they´ve been in terms of developing the teenagers and which of the adult characters they´ve chosen to focus on, I think the continuity of the series has been remarkable.

Last edited by jan74; July 24th, 2011 at 2:24 pm.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 6:07 pm
Second Year

The movies

My favourite film is probably Deathly Hallows part 2. Of all the Films I felt it best told the story of the book but still managed to explore and be original. All of the key scenes, especially The Princes Tale, were done perfectly and it was the perfect ending. The only scene I wasn't fond of was Ron and Hermione running around Hogwarts hunting Nagini, I just didn't think it was necessary.

If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it?
The Chessboard Scene. I remember seeing it when I was 6 and being amazed, it was done perfectly and was an incredible to see on screen. I also loved Dobby's death as it was so emotional and such a touching scene to watch.

Directing

I'd say Mike Newell. I think he found the perfect balance between the whimsical and fantasy world Chris Columbus created and Alfonso Cuarons darker more mature world.

No, I feel that each director bought something new and helped to evolve the series before David Yates took over to finish it all off.

Acting

I'd have to go with Bellatrix Lestrange. She is wrote well and Helena Bonham Carter was the perfect choice for her. Personally I feel she is the best actress in the films. However I feel completely different regarding Ginny. I think Bonnie Wright is fine as an actress but the scripts make Ginny seem really weak and just makes her seem dependent on Harry, whilst in the books she is confident and independent.

Best set design (props etc)?

Philosophers stone. It had a great aesthetic and Hogwarts was exactly how I envisioned. PoA also had very good sets and props too.

Best special effects?
DH2. The battle was incredible to watch and the spells and creatures (such as giants) seemed so real and the Gringotts sequence was stunning.

Best costumes?
Goblet of Fire. Purely for the Yule Ball sequence with all of the dresses and dress robes were amazing. I also loved Fleurs Wedding Dress in DH1.

Overall verdict

I am very happy with the final series. I felt it did an excellent job adapting the books and letting us all see Hogwarts and the Wizarding world on screen. The sets, props and special effects were stunning. The scripts, although at times could have been adjusted, were on the whole very good and the casting, in particular, was excellent. To sum up it was an amazing series which stayed true to the original stories.

Twitter - @NiallJAdams
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:15 am
Fifth Year

The movies

Prisoner of Azkaban, without a doubt - the pacing is particularly good, but best of all, there's more character development than any of the other films. It builds up to an epic climax which is far more frightening than any other scene in the entire series. The cinematography and general tone is consistent throughout, and it's the most stylized movie of the series. Deathly Hallows: Part 2 is a close second, but it's less quirky and has less character development.

The dementors attacking series at the end of PoA.

Directing

I'd say David Yates did the best job, but perhaps that's just because he had the best opportunity - the other films don't really have enough substantial moments in which they *can* portray the Wizarding World.

No. The thing I love about the Harry Potter franchise is that each movie (aside from the first two) is different, so if I don't like one, the next will surely be different.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.
Harry vs Voldemort was obviously the most fleshed out story arc, but Snape was actually fairly well developed, particularly in the final film. Draco's struggle (from HBP onwards) is also clearly defined.

Acting

Snape, far and wide.

Which actor or actress in their role has been a revelation to you?
Not sure I understand this question... :/

Music

How important has music been to you while watching the movies?
Very important. I wouldn't be as big a Harry Potter fan as I was today, and I certainly wouldn't admire the movies much, if the music wasn't as high-quality as I've come to expect it to be.

Who is your favourite music composer?
John Williams did a fantastic job on the PoA score, and I'd say Desplat comes in next, particularly for his work on DH1. Doyle's work is not particularly appealing to me, and Hooper's is just amateur.

Which soundtrack is your favourite?
Prisoner of Azkaban, by a long shot. It's just such an emotional series of tracks. The subtle pieces are where it works best, which is perhaps why I disliked Doyle's soundtracks.

What is your favourite music track?
A Window to the Past from Prisoner of Azkaban. It's fantastically emotional.

Half-Blood Prince, though I prefer PoA's, because it looks a bit more... quirky. It's not perfect, but that imperfection adds a nice touch.

Hogwarts has always been well-designed, but I think it was at its height in Prisoner of Azkaban.

Best special effects?
Deathly Hallows: Part 2. Duh.

Best costumes?
I can't say I've given it much thought.

Overall verdict

Yes. For the most part, they stick together as a whole series, particularly given David Yates' efforts to bring back props from the old movies. Like other users on this thread, I adored what he did with the Pensieve in DH2. There are several general arcs that are for the most part tied together in the final minutes of DH2. Any audience members watching the series as a whole, one after the other, all 18 hours or so, would make the connections between the movies, and they'd make sense! And for that, I am proud to be a Harry Potter fan.

As I mentioned earlier, I like how each movie is different. I'd get bored of a PS-like tone throughout the films, which is why I'm glad they finally switched these things up for PoA. The tone worked because it was just one movie, and wouldn't have suited GoF, which was too bombastic for my liking. OotP is the emotional climax of the series, and works well as a film. Initially, I was concerned about bringing David Yates back for HBP, because OotP was somewhat boring for audience members, but he switched the tone around for HBP, and again for DH1, bringing everything to an epic, and suitable, conclusion in DH2.

Old August 10th, 2011, 6:49 am
Second Year

The movies

Probably Deathly Hallows Part 1. It's the most faithful adaptation since the Chamber of Secrets but unlike the first two films, it doesn't suffer from it. It has a beautiful visual style due to the art direction and cinematography, a strong script and plot and brilliant acting from the entire cast. I also love dark fantasy films and on the road films (I think Hallows Part 1 fits into both categories).

My favourite moment is during Voldemort's death scene in Deathly Hallows Part 2, starting with Harry smiling and ending with the sun rising over the castle.

Directing

David Yates. He has a great visual sense, he seemed to understand the characters and the Wizarding World far more than Columbus, Cuaron and Newell, his films got the best character developments and he got the best performances out of the young actors.

I honestly don't know. Like many have said, one director probably couldn't have handled all eight films and they could've flopped if they had the same one. I guess we'll never know. I would've loved to see what David Yates would've done the first four films.

Storytelling

Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc.

Definitely the coming of age story of the trio and Snape as Dumbledore's man.

Acting

I can't just choose one. Alan Rickman as Snape, Maggie Smith as Mcgonagall, Robbie Coltrane as Hagrid, Tom Felton as Draco, Matthew Lewis as Neville, Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix, Imelda Stauton as Umbridge and Jason Issacs as Lucius. Their characters were perfectly casted and adapted.

Without a doubt it's Daniel Radcliffe. He's not an "natural" actor like say, Rupert Grint or Tom Felton in my opinion anyway. I wasn't impressed with him at all in the first three films, his acting was so bland and unemotional. However in Goblet of Fire he really climbed a ladder and proved to me that he could act - the scenes in the graveyard and when he brings back Cedric's body was heartbreaking. His strong performance carried on in Order of the Phoenix as the depressed and isolated Harry. Half-Blood Prince was where his performance went off track - his wooden acting had returned and his only stand out scenes were the Felix Felicis and the cave scenes. However he came back with a vengence in Deathly Hallows Part 1 and his performance was phenomenal in Deathly Hallows Part 2.

Music

Very important. The geek in me loves film music and it helps raise your emotions high in a film.

Alexandre Desplat

Deathly Hallows Part 2

Too many to choose from.

Half-Blood Prince with both Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2 tied for second place.

All of them.

Best special effects?

Deathly Hallows Part 1

Best costumes?

Goblet of Fire

Overall verdict

Yes very happy. They're brilliant but flawed adaptations. They have huge problems with plot-holes and continuity and they can be confusing as hell sometimes. But all of them have been a critical and financial success, most of the characters have been perfectly cast and audiences have grown up and matured along with the characters, storylines and actors, which is probably something that rarely ever happens.

Last edited by StaceysChain; August 10th, 2011 at 6:55 am.
Old August 11th, 2011, 4:17 am
First Year

The movies

GOF is absolutely my favorite. And I am completely shocked that only 2.5% of people agree with me. The tournament is my favorite event out of the whole series! I just love how magical the whole tournament is. And introducing the other schools was really neat to see. I think that it is the one that strays the farthest from the book, so maybe thats why everyone doesn't like it. But I can't get over how great I found it. The dancing scene was hilarious, and I love that Neville is so great at dancing. This was also the first time that Hermione came out as a beautiful young lady. Just a great film that I have watched hundreds of times.

Like I said above, the Triwizard Tournament was my absolute favorite. I love that it shows others going through the same challenges as Harry. I also love that Harry decides to share the win with Cedric, showing what kind of person he actually is.

I'm very curious now... What did y'all not like about GOF??

Old August 11th, 2011, 5:25 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

The movies

I'm disappointed that I couldn't pick more than one more, at least two options would've been nice. I loved HBP. The only real problem I had with this movie was the added in scene of the Burrow burning. Besides that, everything else I simply loved and next to Deathly Hallows part one, it stands as the only movie I can sit and watch through the whole movie. I think it was also because it was the only movie I went into knowing a whole lot about it and what to expect.

Dobby's death in DH part one. Of all the deaths in the movies, this was the best one. They touched this moment so well in the movie. I was completely sobbing the first time I seen it and still do today. The other scene would be when Dumbledore and Harry journey to the cave in HBP. The two of them standing on the cliff in the ocean is simply stunning, and the whole cave is amazing with the inferi. The next one would be when Hermione and Harry are in Godric's Hollow, followed by Bathilda Bagshot and the snake. I guess that's more than one...

Directing

I loved Chris Columbus at the very begining. He touched the wizarding world like none of the other directors had. At first I would've wanted Columbus to continue with all the movies, but as the series darkened, I don't think he'd have done a great job with the last movies. He managed to touch the innocence of Harry's world at the very begining.

Storytelling

The coming of age of the trio obviously. There were some parts that weren't fleshed out enough, like the Marauder's vs Snape. We see only smidgets of it, as well as Snape's being Dumbledore's inside man.

Music

The music plays a big part in setting the feeling of the scene in a movie, especially a gripping scene like Dumbledore's death. It's always something I pay attention to the second time seeing the movie, only because the first time around I'm too much into the movie itself.

I really liked John Williams at the very begining. He's been my favorite out of all the composers. I had wanted him to continue with the end of the series, but I was taken by surprise by Alexandre Desplat, especially in Deathly Hallows part one.

Although Prisoner of Azkaban is my least favorite movie, it is my favorite soundtrack. I also love Half-Blood Prince and Deahtly Hallows part one.

I have a few, but the ones at the top of my head are Harry in Winter, Dumbledore's Farewell, Buckbeak's Flight, Finale, Obliviate, The Sacking of Trelawney, and I'm sure I'm missing others.

Overall verdict
Surprisingly yes. After all the years watching these movies and waiting for their releases, even though there were instances in which some parts of the movies angered me (all of PoA), I wouldn't change anything about them. The cast, directors, and all the people behind making these movies have really done an extraordinary job and I couldn't have asked for better. Considering the story they had to work with, they did the best of the abilities and it came out great. It's been a complete and amazing journey to have been there from the very begining, and it's something I'll carry with me as I continue to watch the movies now that they're all out. It's sad that they're all done, but it's amazing to be able to look back and know that it was something I was able to take part of.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....

Last edited by xhanax315; August 11th, 2011 at 5:42 am.
Old November 26th, 2011, 4:01 am
Banned

Film Analysis of the Harry Potter Franchise

Might as well post my thoughts.

I'm forgoing the q and a route because it seems a bit simplified and not really an analysis from oneself rather than having someone direct your thoughts. I'll try to keep it short but as always I will look at how it is a film series and the relationship to it's book counterpart; not by the authenticity of it's adaptation but how artistic values and it's culture relates to each other.

The most accurate metaphor for the HP film series can be summed up as the perfect storm. Going through 4 directors, 8 films (from a 7 book series), a hand ful of puberties, a recession, two US presidents and 2 Dumbledores it's quite crazy to imagine that this 8 installment franchise survived without the need of being shot all at once ala LOTR, the need to be separated so SFX technology can catch up ala Star Wars or become a ongoing series that doesn't link up to each other ala James Bond. It's only through the absolute chaos of a rabid fanbase to answer to, an author being closer to development than most authors are allowed to film adaptations, the drive of capitalism keeping it alive even when the fanbase withers post Book!DH release and actors managed to stay through the entire series that we got this series as good as we got it in the ever cynical Hollywood culture. The fact that whether through nostolgia or pure sense of completism that people stuck around to see the final two films in light of the Twiihards, a new grown up culture and various other branches of pop culture vying for mindshare is beyond me. However they did it. Not entirely gracefully but that'll come later.

TBH as a film franchise, if it stayed with Columbus, it would have a greater chance of failure than the success you see now. Yes there are defenders of of Columbus and I credit him for a concrete foundation of characters and setting in order to build upon, I don't think there was any better choices in achieving a balance between what satisfied just on a visceral sense such as visuals and artistry. He made decent films. I repeat he made decent films. If you were to get anyone else to encapsulate the children's adventure vibe of the 80's, then Columbus is your man....because PS was timeless. You couldn't have done any better unless you got Spielberg himself to do it. It was a book that could have existed from the 50's up til now. However as the franchise progresses, it enters realms that Columbus is not a master at. He might consider himself capable of the task and to some degree he could have, but is he capable of adapting to the depths that someone like Spielberg who could direct a fun loving kid's film then to a hard reality of Munich? Asking him to switch gears would be asking a 5 year old to ride a motorcycle.

That is why Cuaron is so important. Along with the Trio taking one year off for schooling and other pursuits, it's as if they wanted to distance themselves as far as possible from the saccharine Columbus films. A new director, a new Trio in some ways (if you think about this Trio has more in common age wise with those in GOF than CoS) and a storyline that also breaks the scooby doo "curse of the year" formula of PS and CoS. This reminds me of a very important quote that someone said in regards to PoA's visuals. Cuaron makes you fall in LOVE with Hogwarts. It doesn't feel like a set piece, it feels like home. Columbus makes visuals that will satisfy the basic need of a child to see their imagination come to life, but only satisfying the most basic of wants. Like feeling a hungry person a hamburger. Cuaron on the other hand satisfies the artistic hunger to a point where you often don't know why you like it but you do. It reminds me of a Futurama quote: "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Of course people could argue that it was the worst turn of the series. Blasphemous to the sacred word of JKR, who do other artists think they are to interpret her words into something equally as good if just a smidgen of difference? Columbus all the way! However you have to look, Columbus brought all he could to the table in CoS. If he could flub up the moderately pg fright scale of giant spiders and a monstrous snake, what makes you think he's qualified or able to progress to the darker and maturing cast post-GoF? He can't. Even Yates had problems and it wasn't until DH that he actually caught up to a quality worth mentioning, creating some of the most beautiful shots in the HP world since Cuaron. HP and the Deathly Hallows? More like HP and I decided to actually listen to my cinematographer.

The beautiful thing is that you can see how Yates slowly gains control over the production over the series. From getting better control over his actors and actresses, from creating more of a distinct style and the ability to use the people around him. It's sad that we had to waste 2.5 films in order to get him to what seemed a peak performance, but it worked. I credits Yates for genre borrowing (not outright stealing because I feel HP has enough personality on it's own to outweigh any instances of stealing) to make shots that looked right out of LOTR, a zombie flick, horror films, a romantic comedy and silly superhero shenanigans. His style is forgoing HP's lack of and taking from others, hoping it'd stick. And he had to, I don't blame him. JKR's concept of a 7 installment book series petered out by book 6 and 7 came out because the limitations of the universe she created; Yates had to sort through the lore, backtracking, gap filling and world building (or referencing) to create an engaging story. What better to do than to take tested and true concepts and just fling them at audiences with the hope that they don't notice that an actual satisfying end will not come until much later.

All of a sudden it becomes a character study, but with the characters acting like a bunch of kids unlike the real world counterparts where they are entering adulthood at the speed of light; what do you do? Try your best and try to engage it the best you can which Yates was not up to the task until the content reflected the seriousness of how mature and deathly these installments are going to be. The only real constant viligence they shown was to make sure Grint at least had a quota of 2 bloody hells and no fewer than 3 sarcastic remarks. It's interesting to see because HBP, DH and DH1 are sort of like PS and CoS...they just exist. They exist and let the cultural of HP carry it through to the end. PS and CoS succeeded to a degree because it was at the point of absolute Potter saturation. HBP, DH1 and DH2, released post end of series; just ridden a wave of nostalgia and casual have-to-watch-it-coz-it's-the-latest-installment obligation. IMHO PoA, GoF and OoTp were the hardest working installments in the series; all of them being new directors, all of them working with an abstract concept that would have destroyed the normal pace of a single film. PoA with it's non-big bad appearance but instead a tale about finding out the truth than overcoming evil; GoF with the immensity of it's content storylines that just devastated flow of narrative to making it feel like a collection of short stories of Year 4 for Harry Potter; and OoTP with it's political and psychological undertones that was not conducive to Harry who was always pro-active. And then you have DH2 which was just putting everything into a pot without any regard for the audience and just showing it without any sort of explanation and grace. Kinda like PS1.

All in all HP the films were a good franchise but not a great franchise. It's the luckiest franchise this side of Dr. Who creating a fan culture that is the western equivalent of anime, but with less shame than Star Trek fic or whatever embarrassing underbellies of western pop culture has yielded for us. It truly was a perfect storm of capitalism, greed, love, sincerity and fame that kept it going until it left us as quickly as it came in. There was no grandiose ending, just a simple one, even simpler and more poorly handled in the books. But God did they ever look on, each and every one of them looking on not for a better Wizarding World but at that train hoping they'll go through calmer skies. They acted the best they can but look at the exhaustion on their faces, not only prematurly aging our trio et. al, but through the half effort in trying to age them via make up. It wasn't the end but it was giving up....giving up their existence for the sake of existing so they can move on. Do move on my friends, move onto better things as we shall and remember that you were part of a generation. Seek not to surpass it by existing past your limitations but only to remind us how good it was.

That's the HP film franchise in a nutshell.

Old November 26th, 2011, 4:18 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
You have seen Deathly Hallows Part Two. Ten years ago the first Potter movie hit the cinemas. Now years later we have reached the end. This thread looks back on those ten years and eight movies.

The movies

My favorite movie is Order of the Phoenix. I thought it covered the book very well. My favorite moment of the movies over all is GOF, the Tri-Wizard Tournament itself.
Directing

Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World? the last one-David Yates
Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies? Yes, I think one director for all the movies would have been best.

Storytelling

I like the Coming of Age story of the Trio. I felt that it really focused on the three of them as individuals and as a team.
Acting

Which character has had the best portrayal (script wise and acting wise)? Matthew Lewis. I think he really did well as Neville. He played Neville perfectly.
Alan Rickman. i loved the way he played Snape.
Music

How important has music been to you while watching the movies? Music is important
Who is your favourite music composer? John Williams
Which soundtrack is your favourite? don't have any sound tracks
What is your favourite music track? n/a

Best special effects?
Best costumes?

Overall verdict
Oh, Yes! I think all the movies do a wonderful job of bringing the books to life.

Old December 2nd, 2011, 10:32 pm
Second Year

The movies

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1.

It's my favourite film as it was beautifully shot, the acting from the trio was the best out of all the films and the whole film was based around the friendship of the three main characters, which i felt had been seriously lacking in previous films.

Plus, i loved the imagery that was used in Part 1, particularly the way the film makers portrayed the Death Eaters like Nazis and the muggleborns like Jews. To me, that hit me emotionally far more than any of the battle sequences in films 5, 6 & 8.

But what i loved most about Part 1, was that for the first time, i really felt as though the characters had grown up. It was great to see little references to the first few films, like Hermione teaching Ron how to play 'Fur Elise' as a reminder to levitating feathers in PS, and Harry revisiting his cupboard under the stairs.

The moment in Philosopher's Stone, when Harry is about to go and face Quirrel and Hermione basically sums up the moral of what the 7 books promote to children:

HARRY: Ron's right. I have to go on.

HERMIONE: You'll be OK Harry. You're a great wizard. You really are.

HARRY: Not as good as you.

HERMIONE: Books. Cleverness. There are more important things. Friendship and bravery. And Harry? Just be careful.

Directing

I think all 4 of them brought something very different and special to Jo's world, however for me it has to be Chris Columbus. The first two films just felt so magical and mysterious, whereas Yates brought too much of the 'muggle' world in to the films, like playing 'boys will be boys' in the Gryffindor common room IN OOTP.

Plus, Columbus made the spells feel magical in themselves. I loved the colours and 'bangs', whereas the last films effectively turned wands into guns.

No. A variety of directors kept the film franchise fresh and interesting.

Storytelling

For me, it would be Harry's relationship with his godfather. Gary Oldman brought a gentleness to the character of Sirius which i didn't think would work, considering he was meant to be a hardened 'criminal', however it *did* work.

Each scene with Radcliffe and Oldman is a joy to watch, as i could really sense a father/son relationship between the two and i particularly loved the scene where Sirius tells Harry that the world isn't split between good and bad people.

Acting

Script-wise, Dumbledore.

Acting-wise, Alan Rickman as Snape.

Emma Watson. A pure English Rose, who has brought the character of Hermione to life and has taught girls that it is OK to be clever and to simply be yourself.

Music

Music has played a massive role in how i consume the films. There are so many iconic themes that i instantly think 'Harry Potter' like Hedwig's Theme and and without the music, the films wouldn't be half as good.

I don't really have a favourite composer as such. I have favourite 'tracks' as each composer has provided songs that i love and hate.

I really can't decide - they're all fantastic.

'Harry's Wondrous World' - To me, it sums up magic, Hogwarts and the Wizarding World in general.

And of course, 'Leaving Hogwarts'. It was played at the end of PS and DH2. No matter which book i read or film i watch, that song is always in my mind.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone purely for the chess game. I still get chills watching it!

Best special effects?

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2.

Best costumes?

Goblet of Fire. The uniforms of the Durmstrang and Beauxbatons students and the dresses/dress robes for the Yule Ball were simply beautiful.

Overall verdict

I am happy. Of course, the movies could never show Hogwarts in all its grandeur, and are just a pale imitation of JKR's imagination.
However, there is a beauty to the films, separate to the books, which allows me to engage with the wizarding world on a whole different level.

To me, Dan, Rupert and Emma *are* my Harry, Ron and Hermione. Whenever i read the books, they are who i see in my head, along with all the other brilliantly cast actors and actresses who have each played a part in delighting children across the world.

So yes, the films are pure movie magic.

Until the very end.

Last edited by adorey1; December 2nd, 2011 at 10:36 pm.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 11:23 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Which movie out of all eight of them is your favorite? Why?
Order of the Phoenix. It doesn't have the best cinematography, but it has the best pacing of all of the films and it has some really nice moments between all of the characters and it has a great exciting ending. It isn't perfect, but still my favorite.
Quote:
If you could name one moment which you consider your favorite for all movies which one is it?
That's hard. I really like the Voldemort/Dumbledore duel in OotP. I like the graveyard scene in GoF. I like the cafe attack in DH1. There are a lot of scenes i really like, but i will leave it at that.
Quote:
Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World? Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies?
I would pick David Yates, but i actually think that having the same director and producers for the last few films was a bad thing. They seemed to lose track of the fact that they needed to make a good movie and instead just had fun with the actors. Like they thought it was funny that Rupert and Emma were doing the kiss so much that they didn't actually film a good kiss.
Quote:
I would say the coming of age story because i think they didn't do a great job with the others you mentioned. Though i wouldn't consider the marauders vs Snape a story arc in the books either just something that was mentioned in passing. I actually think they should have cut more of the Snape stuff then they did or at least done it in a different way.
Quote:
Maggie Smith.
Quote:
Deathly Hallows Part 1.
Quote:
Sorcerer's Stone.
Quote:
Best special effects?
I really think the special effects are one of the low points in the entire series. I think i would have to pick Deathly Hallows 2 just because it is the most recent and it has some fine moments with effects like during the courtyard apocalypse and then some awful ones like the fiendfyre and the chamber of secrets.
Quote:
Best costumes?
Well i don't know. Half-blood Prince.
Quote:
No. I think if you fail at the end then you fail as a series and i think they failed at the end. And then there is Daniel Radcliffe which i could have done without.

Old December 9th, 2011, 8:19 pm
Second Year

The movies

Deathly Hallows Part One by far. It feels like has something that the other films don't have, even though we're away from Hogwarts. I think they really captured the emotion in this film. It's just fantastic!

Oh no! This is a difficult choice... Very difficult... There have been many great moments in Harry Potter, it's tough to pick just one. But if I had to, I'd say Dumbledore's death. I'm not sure why, but its just brilliant. The actors, the setting, the lines... everything.

Directing

David Yates. I have a few problems with his films, but they're a great portrayl of the Wizarding World. Take the Ministry of Magic for example, first seen in Order of the Phoenix. I mean, the scale of it! He did a very good job indeed.

In truth, no. I actually think it worked well with four directors; and that it would have possibly been quite boring and repetative with just one director. If that makes sense...

Storytelling

Coming of Age. It's been the trio's story really; how they evolved, what challenges they faced etc. The final shot of the three sums it all up, ultimately.

Acting

I would actually say Alan Rickman for both. Not because other people have been saying that, either. In my opinion, he is Snape. He has the perfect voice, the perfect lines, and the perfect role. Especially during Dumbledore's death and the Prince's Tale.

Strangely, Rupert Grint as Ron. It came has a surprise, how his character changed and evolved, finally becoming a major part of the trio. A great performance also!

Music

Very. Without music, the films would be nothing. Each track fit in perfectly with the scene it was played in, and it couldn't have been better.

Alexandre Desplat. I couldn't have imagined him composing any of the other films, though. It was him that made Deathly Hallows, Deathly Hallows.

Deathly Hallows Part 2. Definitely the most emotional of the eight.

Lily's Theme from Deathly Hallows Part 2. Just beautiful.

I actually think Half-Blood Prince. It was very organised and placed together well, in my humble opinion.

The Ministry of Magic. As said earlier, look at the scale of it! It's quite overwhelming and magical as a whole.

Best special effects?
Deathly Hallows Part 2, obviously.

Best costumes?
As to this, I'm not really sure. Goblet of Fire, maybe? I liked the Triwizard clothes.

Overall verdict

Definitely. It was fantastic, and I wouldn't have changed it for the world, not even the few moments that I cringed at. The actors were perfect; Dan, Emma and Rupert made the best trio I could have ever wished for, and played their roles very well. Overall, the Harry Potter series is one of the best I have ever seen on screen, and I hope to continue watching them 'until the end'.

"Dobby has no master. Dobby is a free elf and Dobby has come to save Harry Potter and his friends!"

Proud Hufflepuff

Friend -- For the Greater Good
Old December 10th, 2011, 1:51 am
Seventh Year

The movies

For me, GoF. GoF has some really hilarious scenes, such as Draco being transformed into a ferret. It has tons of excitement, such as when Harry battles the dragon, and also when he fights Voldy in the graveyard. I cry every time Cedric's father cries over his son's body. I laugh at some of the over acting, especially Gambon's "SILENCE." The deleted scenes are particularly funny. After interesting entrances by Durmstrang and Beaubatons, Hogwarts goes into it's school song, and I love the expressions on people's faces - it's as if they're trying to be kind, and not say what they really think. Also love the deleted scene where Karkaroff tries to confront Snape about the darkening dark mark at the Yule Ball, and I'm not surprised they cut it - I can't see Karkaroff being foolish enough to discuss it out in the open like that.

DH2, my second fave, is absolute perfection, right up until the last 30 minutes or so. I thought Harry's final battle with Voldy seemed lackluster, and I didn't like how his body just turned into pieces. Didn't like the Elder Wand being snapped. For the parts I do like, I have to really be in the mood to watch it. I cry when the dragon flies away from Gringotts, and when Lavender is seen dead, and then Snape dies, when Ron and Molly cry over Fred's body, and the Prince's Tale, and when Harry uses the Resurruction Stone and talks to his mother, etc.

"Momma loves you. Dada loves you. Harry, be safe. Be strong."
-lily, DH2

Directing

I loved SS / PS. I thought Chris Columbus did a marvelous job making the Wizarding World seem so magical. Like Harry, i was completely entranced.

Up until the last movie, i would have definitely said yes, but I thought Yates did a great job and perhaps a better job with the darker subject matter than the previous directions would have done.

Storytelling

Definitely the Coming of Age for the trio. I really enjoyed watching Harry grow up and mature throughout the films, and in the end, willingly give his life for his friends and what was right.

Acting

Acting wise - Alan Rickman. He was often given the tiniest, briefest lines, but he could do more with the subtlest motions and glances than many actors can do with pages and pages of dialogue, I think. Script wise - hard to say. JKR wrote so many great lines for the characters, which ended up included in the movies.

Geraldine Somerville - thought she did an amazing job with Lily. She made the character completely sympathetic and flawless, I thought.

Music

Very much so. the music adds to the surroundings.

Hard to say. I really enjoyed both Williams and Desplat

I loved both the magical, upbeat sounds of SS and the exciting, gut wrenching music of DH2.

For me, it's a 4 way tie between SS's Hedwig's Theme, and the opening of Christmas, and DH2's Courtyard and Snape's Demise

Overall verdict

Absolutely.

My list of favorite movies, in order:

1) GoF
2) DH2
3) SS / PS
4) HBP
5) CoS
6) PoA
7) OotP
8) DH1

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown

Last edited by MerryLore; December 10th, 2011 at 2:05 pm.
Old December 10th, 2011, 2:30 am
Second Year

Deathly Hallows as one. It doesn't work without them being combined, and they flow seamlessly. Plus, they have the best fights, most emotional dialogue, and some of the best scenes in the series, period.
If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it? Hmm. There's quite a few. Mine is kind of a quiet one. When Lupin is talking to Harry on the bridge. Don't know why, its just very well done...
Which director did the best job of portraying the Wizarding World? Definitely Yates.
Would you have preferred one director for all eight movies? No. I love Yates's films, but he would have lost it, having to do 8 films. I couldn't see it.
Which story arc has been fleshed out the best during the movies? Examples: Coming of Age story of the Trio, Harry vs Voldemort, The Marauder vs Snape, Snape as Dumbledore's inside man etc. Coming of Age story. This is there story! All the movies are basically about THEM.
Which character has had the best portrayal (script wise and acting wise)? I don't know, really. Snape?
Which actor or actress in their role has been a revelation to you? Alan rickman. Fantastic work, man.
How important has music been to you while watching the movies? Extremely. The music for DH made it one of my favorite movies of all time.
Who is your favourite music composer? Alexandre Desplat.
Which soundtrack is your favourite? Deathly Hallows Part 2.
What is your favourite music track? Statues, Neville the Hero, or Panic inside Hogwarts. Love Leaving Hogwarts though. Instant chills.
Which movie has the best cinematography? I don't really know what cinematography is. Holding the camera? Then DH1 I guess.
Best set design (props etc)? All of them
Best special effects? DH2
Best costumes? I don't know ha.

Overall verdict
Yes. There are quite a few continuity flaws but otherwise this series is fantastic. It changed my life.

best harry potter song ever!!
Old December 10th, 2011, 4:36 am
Fourth Year

The movies

I would have to say.....SS/PS is probably my favorite of all eight. It's probably the one HP movie I will always have the time to watch, even if I'm not in the mood. I love it because it portrays the Wizarding World so well, exactly how I imagined in the book. But, the main reason of why I love it so is because it's the beginning, it's freaking magical, and I have a fuzzy feeling in my stomach at the end of it.

If you could name one moment which you consider your favourite for all movies which one is it? When Hermione punches Draco. It's one of my favorites anyway.

Directing

Chris Columbus. He brought this amazing book series to life. I don't think the other directors would've of done so well without the vision he already created.

I don't know. All of the directors did a great job.

Storytelling
Hmmm. I want to say Coming of Age story of the Trio.

Acting

Snape.

Rupert.

Music

Very important. The music is part of the story.

John Williams

DH Part 2

Hedwig's Theme or Courtyard Apocalypse.

DH Part 1

The Burrows.

Best special effects?
DH Part 1

Best costumes?
DH Part 1

Overall verdict

Yes, I'm very happy with the completed series.

Old December 14th, 2011, 3:35 pm
First Year

The movies

It's very hard for me to choose between 4 and 8. I adore Goblet of Fire, and I adore Deathly Hallows 2 for different reasons. If forced to choose, I'd probably go for 8 (that's what I voted for, anyway).

Impossible to choose only one, but The Prince's Tale is right up there, and I love the way it builds up. I am also deeply moved when McGonagall, Flitwick. Slughorn and Molly place the protection around the school before the Battle of Hogwarts, and I love the score here, and the sound of the words in the protective spells. I love the Yule Ball, too, Draco being turned into a ferret, the very well handled tension amonst the trio in the tent in DH1, and Harry and Hermione's dance - I find the choice of song extremely moving and appropriate, showing how the weight of the world is upon these very young, very brave people. And I see it as Harry trying to cheer Hermione up and a reflection of their friendship and how devastating the loss of Ron is. There are very moving moments in POA too - I love Harry's Patronus chasing away the Dementors, and the talk with Lupin on the bridge.

Storytelling

Probably the first of these.

I think they all produced excellent work. I find Columbus's pace too slow (especially in the first film - it ruins the climax at the end - and could those chess pieces have moved any more slowly, or with less tension?), but I can't fault how he brought the magical world of Harry Potter alive. Terrific scenes like all Harry's Hogwarts letters arriving, Diagon Alley, the Dursleys, and Hagrid finding them at last.

As a film, I felt the third was better than the first two. A beautiful film, well paced, beautiful outdoor scenery used, and serious themes handled with more depth. James and Lily's sacrifice seems to be felt, not just stated, as if we are starting to properly understand it for the first time - due in part to the haunting. thoughtful tone and music and largely, too, to the excellent portrayal of Remus Lupin. Sirius Black, too, is very well portrayed (this performance/portrayal has grown on me over several viewings, and I can't fault it now). Also, I think the tension in the Shrieking Shack, leading up the the final revelation - with the 3 surviving Marauders and Snape - is much more fluent and effective than it is in the book.

I love the joy, colour, magic and romantic tone of the 4th film. I already loved Patrick Doyle's romantic scores, and I feel it was so right for this film. It wouldn't have been for any of the others, and I'm so glad he scored this one. In a way, it's the last one before things become deadly serious, and the way this is so expertly and and lovingly captured makes it very special. The death of Cedric Diggory, and Dumbledore's speech for him, were also very moving.

I wasn't keen on David Yates's direction at first, but I liked 6 better than 5, and 7 and 8 are very good indeed. I wasn't keen on his pacing at first, and I still feel that number 5 drags, but he was handling a world that had grown much more sinister. The performances and chemistry of the Trio were moving and excellent in 7 and 8, and I think we partly have Yates to thank for this.

No. They all brought very special things to the series. As did the four composers, and I wonder if we would have had four different ones without the change of direction, or rather if we'd have had those particular composers.

Composers

Love Patrick Doyle's rich, romantic, joyful scores, and so happy that he was the composer for Film 4. Love the magical hallmark themes such as Hedwig's, that we automatically think of when we think of Harry Potter. Desplat's themes are very haunting. Not as familiar with Hooper's music, but the music as Harry and Dumbledore approach the (previous) location of the locket Horcrux is very memorable, as is Dumbledore's Farewell Cue when it reappears in The Prince's Tale. So I'm not going to pick one - they all bring very special qualities to the different films.

Acting

Many perfect, or near-perfect portrayals: Lupin, Hagrid, Sirius, Mad-Eye Moody, McGonagall, Argus Filch, Draco. Love the Weasley Twins. I prefer Michael Gambon's Dumbledore's to Richard Harris, although I needed a little time to get used to it. Snape excellent too, although I wasn't quite convinced by "younger, grief-stricken Snape" in The Prince's Tale. I think the Trio were great too, though - the way they had developed by the end could qualify them for the best portrayals too. I can't really pick one performance that stands out over the others; there are too many. Yaxley was convincingly nasty and very memorable, too. Voldemort and Bellatrix also excellent.

Greatest acting revelation

The Trio, but especially Daniel Radcliffe. He had the hardest part, in my opinion, and I love his performance in the last two films.

Cinematography etc

3 for the beautiful outdoor and Patronus scenes; 7 for Godric's Hollow and the churchyard and the lost, "road movie" feel, 8 for the Battle of Hogwarts.

The costumes and sets were consistently excellent.

Yes, very. I like some of the films more than others, but I do love them all, and they capture the essence and magic of the books spectacularly well.

Last edited by Charity_Burbage; December 14th, 2011 at 3:59 pm.
Old December 14th, 2011, 5:07 pm
Seventh Year

The movies

POA, it was the movie that got me to read the books. Loved that it was more atmospheric and more adult that the first two films (I was 19 when I saw it so the first two films were too kiddy for me)

1) The Knight Bus scenes in POA
2) The Mr. Weasley and Harry scene in POA when he's telling Harry about Sirius and Sirius's poster is always in the shot =^)
3) The Snape/Karkaroff scene in GOF when Snape's out catching students making out in the carriages. So Snape - if he can't be happy, no one will be. lol

Directing

Alfonso Curaron (sp?) since POA has a special place in my heart...

I would have liked Alfonso to have directed at least one more but for the most part I liked that they kept switching it up and let other people add to the series.

Storytelling

None of them were satasfactorily fleshed out for me. With the first five films not having a clear direction by way of knowing the end of the series, too much was left out for me to really enjoy any one arc.

Snape's arc approached being the best but he wasn't as dislikable in the movies as he was in the books since he was left out of so much and his scenes ended up being shorted or not as vidictive toward Harry as I thought they should have been.

Acting

Robbie Coltrane as Hagrid was pretty spot on for me. I also liked Maggie Smith as McGonagall immensely, Alan Rickman as Snape and Warwick Davis as Flitwick.

Tom Felton as Malfoy I think really matured as the series went on and was clearly the best of the younger generation as far as acting ability goes.

Music

The best music in films is so perfect you don't realize it's there. Mostly I didn't realize it was there.

John Williams

POA is the only one I own.

Double Trouble because it was so clever - incorporating the lines from Macbeth was cute and I liked that Alfonso chose to show that Hogwarts had things like a school choir which just enlivened the world in the films even more.

POA still is the one that comes to mind.

I tend to like the brightness and colors of the first two films but like the direction the hogwarts sets went from POA and on. I especially love the Hogsmeade sets - so cute, want to live there... =^)

Best special effects?

OOTP for the end battles in the DOM and the DD/LV battle at the end - amazing! Every other battle for me is just wordlessly throwing jinxes that make walls explode. The DD/LV battle was a truely epic wizard battle and the only one that was cleverly thought out by way of spellwork and advanced uses of magic in combat. Loved it! Watch it on youtube all the time.

Best costumes?

They generally all looked the same to me and I have an issue with how '70s all the muggle cloths looked. I liked POA best because of Alfonso's direction of letting the kids do their own thing with their uniforms rather than keeping them buttoned up all the time and thought the muggle cloths were the least jarring and most era-appropriate.

Overall verdict

No. the first five films lacked a clear direction in story so important things were cut out. The scripts became jumbled messes of trying to duct tape the plots back together as the series went on, I'm generally unimpressed with the subdued acting of the younger actors and wish they would remake the films with clearer scripts, tighter character arcs, fewer plot holes and generally less of a schizophrenic approach.

Old December 15th, 2011, 1:57 am
First Year

The movies

Deathly Hallows Part 2. I feel like this movie was the closest to the book out of all of them. I felt it featured some of the best acting, touching moments and was just an epic way to end the series. It was the only one to make me sob throughout most of it.

Hmmmmm I have so many! The one I can think of right now is McGonnogal and Snape's duel in Deathly Hallows 2 and the protection of the castle that followed. It made me cry.

Directing

Chris Columbus. He really captured the magic and detail of the books.

Yes. There is an obvious different feel in the movies with each new director and I would have prefered if Columbus had directed them all.

Storytelling

Ron and Hermione's relationship. You can see it begin in the early movies from their constant bickering, the attraction growing through to them getting together, then the kiss, through to them sending their children off to Hogwarts.

Acting

There are so many but I have to say Alan Rickman. He is Snape. His line delivery was perfect and throughout the movies he helped flesh out such an interesting, and ultimately tragic character. Others are Maggie Smith, Helena Bonham Carter and Robbie Coltrane.

Daniel and Emma's acting improveda lot from the first movie to the last.

Music

Very. The music helps create the magic and adds to the epicness or emotion of a scene. Sometimes it has been the music that has brought me to tears rather than the actual moment. Also, some of my problems with the movies have been that I felt the music was lacking in a particular moment.

John Williams. Like Columbus, I wish he could have done them all. Magic.

Either Philosopher's Stone or Deathly Hallows.

Leaving Hogwarts

Prisoner of Azkaban.

Philosopher's Stone.

Best special effects?

Goblet of Fire or Deathly Hallows.

Best costumes?

Philosopher's Stone.

Overall verdict

Yes! There are some issues but yes, I love the series.

Old December 15th, 2011, 3:45 am
First Year

Oh a questionnaire! How fun. I'm going to read what everyone else says when I finish this.

The movies
My favourite movie was The Goblet of Fire. It's such a pivotal point in the series, and I think it was handled marvelously. They had so much to fit in, and they did such a good job.

When Harry jumps out of Hagrid's arms in DHII, when everyone thinks he's dead.

Directing
I have a soft spot for Mike Newell. I think he did such a good job with the characters and relations between them during the coming of age point, and all the darkness. He'll always be my favourite Harry Potter director. But I have to give props to Chris Columbus. Because he really brought it to life, with the help of the people that he had to initially put together. Everyone else really drew from the vision that he, JKR, and his crew assembled.

I think that would have been ideal, but I don't think I could choose one to do them all, because they all brought a different something to the series, and using all the different ones was very important to the development of the story.

Storytelling
The trio were obviously the most fleshed out arc. A lot of people who only watch the movies have no idea about the Marauders, and need that explained. Harry is really the main character, and even in the books that's the most fleshed out part. So it would be impossible to better flesh out any other arc.
The entire story is about Harry Ron and Hermione growing up and learning to deal with the issues that they have been set with.

Acting
I want to say Luna, because Evanna is Luna Lovegood. She just brought real magic to the role. Theres a magic, and joy to her, but also seriousness and growth that would have come across as a joke coming from anyone else, I think.
Also, Imelda Staunton as Umbridge. She really made you despise the character. Not many people can play someone so 'pleasant' in such a convincingly despicable way.

I don't think I could really call anyone a revelation. This is very much the same question as the previous, in my mind.

Music
The music is integral. Without the music theres no emotion to set the scene. Anyone who's watched the accompanying documentaries for Harry Potter Ultimate Edition: Part 4 will understand.

I feel like I'm committing treason by not choosing John Williams. But my favourite was the composer for the 5th and 6th installations, Nicholas Hooper.

Half Blood Prince

Leaving Hogwarts. Is. Heartbreaking.

The third was very interesting, but I have to go with DHII
Philosopher's Stone. Everything was so new, and it really just filled me with awe. But for props, I'm going to say PoA ties. Because Cuaron introduced the individuality of the characters through their wands.
Best special effects?
Obviously with technological advances, the latest. But I thought that what they did with the available technology in the first movie was astounding.
Best costumes?
Goblet of Fire. We get to see more than just the one school. And the Death Eaters/Dark Lord costumes were exquisite.

Overall verdict
Very.

Last edited by Sharpturn; December 15th, 2011 at 3:48 am.
Old December 15th, 2011, 5:29 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpturn View Post
Music
The music is integral. Without the music theres no emotion to set the scene. Anyone who's watched the accompanying documentaries for Harry Potter Ultimate Edition: Part 4 will understand.
Sorry for my ignorance but what is the Ulitimate Edition? Is it the 1-8 box set because I'm thinking about getting that?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies