Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Which Film Is The Darkest?

Old August 10th, 2011, 12:26 am
First Year

Re: Which Film Is The Darkest?

I think it was GOF untill DH came out. So, DH now.

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2011, 12:37 am
Second Year

I think that, and perhaps many others think this way too, HBP felt darker just because - it was much darker comparing to the book. I feel the book to be irritatingly light, an odd sock between tense, tough OotP and downright depressive DH. The filming, the added scenes with the dying bird and Bellatrix raging about, the cinemathougraphy, Dumbledore's death all set up a dark tone for the film that carried on even through the romance. (And there was way less romance than in the book, I felt)

I agree with PotterSpell that DH1 is the darkes, it really captures the depression of the book very well, and DH2 doesn't feel quite as dark because Harry's surrounded by his friends, and he's at home (Hogwarts) too!

Blondes have more fun! The Jackson KS300 Lovegood special: Only $499!
(Also known as the Lunatar ^^)

Do not read my fanfic "Bannister Sparke and the Peverell Penultiman Conspiracy"
Try
Xenophilius Lovegood: A Life instead
TRIVIUM !! <3
PS: Tom Marvolo Riddle anagrams into "I am Lord Voldemort", but also "Odd immortal lover"
Old August 10th, 2011, 1:50 am
Second Year

Hmm, it's difficult to just pick one of the films. I personally think a good argument could be made for any of these four:

-GoF: Death Eater attack during the World Cup, Voldemort's resurrection, Cedric's death, and the reaction from Cedric's father upon seeing his son's lifeless body.

-OoTP: Dumbledore's absence from the school, Umbridge sucking away the lighthearted, magical atmosphere the school had always had, Sirius' death, and the public acknowledgement of Voldemort's return.

-HBP: Dumbledore's death (a major "victory" for Voldemort's forces), Draco becomes a death eater, and Harry realizes that this will probably be his last year at Hogwarts.

-DH Part 1: Harry, Ron, and Hermione are on their own looking for horcruxes, without the protection of Dumbledore (or anyone else from Hogwarts, for that matter). The stakes are very high.

Member of Ravenclaw on CoS & Member of Slytherin on Pottermore!

Wand: 13 inches, Blackthorn, Dragon Heartstring, Hard.

Go Falcons & Go Dolphins!
Old August 11th, 2011, 2:38 am
First Year

For me, it starts with the Goblet of Fire and continues to get darker with each movie. At least that's what I have noticed. In DH2, goodness Hogwarts was so cold and dark looking. Not anything like SS or CS.

Old August 11th, 2011, 3:13 am
Fifth Year

DH1/2. The second moreso due to the body count. Characters dying like animals and things really heating up. Not to mention Snape's death is possibly the most graphic thing the series has seen on film.

Pottermore: PatronusBat
Please do not add me on Pottermore without owling me first! Or else my wand will speak for me!
Old August 11th, 2011, 3:14 am
Second Year

yep I'd have to say the DH films because of the deaths, there werent as much in the others

Pottermore Username: FireboltPurple63
Old August 11th, 2011, 3:32 am
Third Year

The DH films because of all the deaths that take place in the films.

Pottermore Profile:
OwlPurple114
House: Ravenclaw
Wand Specifics: 12 1/4 in...Cedar...Phoenix Feather...Unbending

Proud Member of the House of Ravenclaw
Old August 11th, 2011, 10:47 am
First Year

I felt DHP2 was the darkest.

But you know, HBP had the potential to be incredibly dark (perhaps more than DH) if the film had included more of (and focused more on) the extended pensieve scenes. Because then it'd be dark throughout, then the scene where Dumbledore and Harry try to get the Horcrux, then following with Dumbledore's death and ultimatly the trio deciding to leave Hogwarts.

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting,
for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated."

Pottermore: OakPhoenix68

Old July 26th, 2012, 4:00 pm
Second Year

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Old July 26th, 2012, 6:27 pm
Second Year

I'd go with Deathly Hallows Part 1. There is the sense of isolation and despair, and the realisation that nowhere is safe anymore (Hogwarts, the Burrow, Grimmauld Place).

You're the weak one. And you'll never know love, or friendship. And I feel sorry for you.

I'm LightChaser4263 on Pottermore.
Feel free to add me as a friend, but please owl me first on CoS. Thanks!
Proud member of Gryffindor House in the Chamber of Secrets and on Pottermore.
Old July 26th, 2012, 7:02 pm
First Year

I would say the sixth. That's where you really see some of the characters go to the dark side- Malfoy, for instance. And even Harry shows his dark side when he uses Sectumsempra on Malfoy.

Ravenclaw on COS!
Old July 26th, 2012, 9:54 pm
First Year

I'd say Goblet of Fire, Half-Blood Prince, Deathly Hallows part 1, and/or Deathly Hallows part 2 because in GoF Voldemort's return and the tournament, HBP it wasn't safe no more in the school or at home with death eaters trying to chase and attack, DH1 because of voldemort trying to kill harry and DH2 for the same reason as DH1. OotP also because of umbridge and voldemort and the department of mysteries scene. I think HBP was more dark than OotP because it was more emotional. In fact the only films i found dark were GoF-DH2. SS, CoS, and PoA weren't so dark. DH1 was dark for me too because parts of that movie got me scared and stressed out when i first saw it in the movies i wasn't that scared but i thought it would be so intense that it would be more violent than the other films but i was proven wrong although some scenes in DH1 such as the camping scenes were kinda boring and bland. But i'd go with DHp2.

Last edited by HP4567fan; July 26th, 2012 at 10:05 pm.
Old July 26th, 2012, 11:37 pm
Third Year

I thought the end scene of GoF is where the movies started to get dark. OotP had a gloominess to it, especially with the inclusion of Umbridge's character, and even more at the end. For some reason, I didn't really feel anything too dark in HBP (at least, until Dumbledore's death) because of all the fun/funny things (Ron and Lavender, the Love Potion scene, Slughorn, etc). Then of course, the darkest of them all, would be DH1. Despite the number of deaths, DH2 wasn't quite as dark or depressing or gloomy (possibly because it had such a happy ending!).

Old July 27th, 2012, 12:11 am
First Year

Deathly Hallows 1 is the darkest movie for me - not just with the depressing quest for the horcruxes and the implosion of the trio, but the Ministry of Magic's oppressive tactics also casts a dark shadow on the movie. It is also because of the Ministry's meddling as well as the scenes at the ministry that OotP ranks second darkest for me.

DH 2, while there is a battle going on, seems less dark to me...

Sing a song, a song of life, lived without regret, tell the ones, the ones I loved, I never will forget.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 4:28 am
First Year

I'd say that last two films, Deathly Hallows: Part 1 and Deathly Hallows: Part 2, but mainly the second part. It's very dark, and it's amazing to see this film series start as a family movie of sorts, and end on the brink of a horror film.

After the Gringotts break-in, Voldemort mercilessly kills everyone in his path and then walks through their bodies as the camera pans on his blood-covered feet.

Hogwarts now is so dark and depressing. They actually purposely changed it from the honey colour of the first films to the dark grey of the later films, and it suits well with this film and with Snape as headmaster.

After his diadem is destroyed, Voldemort kills one of his own followers (although, it was just Pius Thicknesse) out of sheer anger and anxiety. He follows it up with having Nagini attack Snape in a bloodbath and then leave his most loyal servant to die. To finish the whole scene up, you've got that eery, blood-curdling violin noise before Voldemort speaks to Hogwarts that you'd often find in horror films.

All in all, the last two films, I think, are the most dark. They're filled with death, horror, depression, and, not to mention, Voldemort. Following them, I'd say Goblet of Fire, Order of the Phoenix, Prisoner of Azkaban, and Half-Blood Prince.

You've got the fourth one, what with Voldemort returning, and just the whole graveyard scene in general. The fifth one, with all the visions into Voldemort's mind, the dementor attack, and the snake attack on Mr. Weasley. Not surprisingly, I think, is the third one, which was actually a depressing film in general, what with the dementors lurking about and causing sadness and chill. And then there's six, whose only real darkness is the cave scene with the Inferi and the Drink of Despair.

Old June 7th, 2013, 12:28 am
First Year

I used to think DHp2 was the darkest but i think DHp1 is the darkest due to the isolation. DHp2 is the 2nd darkest IMO followed by HBP then GoF. I didn't find SS, CoS, PoA, nor OotP too dark.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies