Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Which Film Is The Darkest?

Old September 3rd, 2009, 3:53 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Which Film Is The Darkest?

Here is my list:

1. OOTP was the darkest one visually and thematically. You have nightmares, loneliness, rebellion, torture, much talk of death, the death of Sirius Black, Harry being possessed etc.

2. GOF had some humour and scenes that weren't so dark in terms of colours (e.g. the dragon chase) but it was definitely the scariest one.

3. POA had a dark atmosphere throughout, but I've never found it particularly scary. There were many scenes shot in day-light and the scottish climate gave it a fine grey look. A mature and brilliant movie!

4. HBP had some exciting scenes like the Sectumsempra scene, Dumbledore's death and the cave sequence, but don't tell me the inferies were scary. They should've been more like humans, not Gollum creatures. I jumped and screamed, true enough, but it was actually just a surprise.
HBP wasn't dark IMO, but it was a bit more mature than the others and deals with love, jealousy, death, manipulation, self-reproach and so on. But to be honest I think children can handle it. They won't cry of seeing black smoke destroying a bridge (they're used to violent from TV and games) or a girl flying into the air showing off her white teeth or Harry and Ginny being on a date in the fields or Ron Weasley on the floor mumbling about dangerous girls...What really scares them is Lavender

5. COS was quite scary in some scenes (partly because I fear spiders and snakes ), but overall it felt very childish. Earlier I always jumped when Harry touched the hand in Borgin and Burges and when the basilisk appeared from the water.

6. PS was a warm and perfect family film with two scary moments; the head popping out of the book in the library and Voldemort turning up in the forest.

Last edited by Noldus; April 6th, 2010 at 3:39 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2009, 4:49 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
To answer your question, I think DH1 will be the darkest film when it's all said and done. DH2 will be dark too but at least it has a happy ending. DH1 is going to be a sad and quite pathetic film. (not in terms of quality but in terms of what the characters go through) Especially if they end on a literal cliffhanger. There will be no resolution at all. It can easily be the Potter series's darkest hour.
I think it's hilarious how every new HP movie has at least one trailer claiming to be Harry's Darkest Hour; (Not making fun of you at all, just saying.) I can just see the trailer editors.... "And THIS.....is Harry's darkest hour....*year later* But WAIT! This hour is even darker! *Year later* Oh no, wait till you see THIS one!" I had a HP trailer marathon a few days ago, and it really struck me.

To answer your question, I think HBP has been the darkest/most mature so far. To understand all the subtle, wordless tension between Draco and Harry, and Draco and Snape, and Harry and Dumbledore, you have to really have your mind on the story. All of the others felt more like mindless popcorn movies to me, even if they had some dark moments. =D

I cordially dislike Severus Snape.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 4:56 pm
First Year

HBP is the darkest because well you know...Dumbledore.

Always.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 5:17 pm
First Year

GOF - The graveyard scene was very dark. I was nervous about that scaring my kids.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 5:22 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

It wasn't that scary. It only included a deformed man returning from a death-like state, another man cutting off his own hand, a child being murdered, another child having blood forcibly removed from his arm and......oh wait....actually that WAS pretty scary.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 6:01 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2green_eyes View Post
HBP is the darkest because well you know...Dumbledore.
Huh?Why?

Yeah, indeed HP movies are getting darker and darker, I was even scared throught the HBP movie, but I suppose that it's better that way than it was several years ago when the movies were just for kids (HPPS until HPPOA) and now they appeal more teenagers than they used to.

Old September 4th, 2009, 1:21 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonks_Animagus View Post
Huh?Why?

Yeah, indeed HP movies are getting darker and darker, I was even scared throught the HBP movie, but I suppose that it's better that way than it was several years ago when the movies were just for kids (HPPS until HPPOA) and now they appeal more teenagers than they used to.
If you were scared through the HBP movie, you probably thought Lavender was scary

Old September 4th, 2009, 1:41 pm
Zonko's Employee

Lavender was scary. In a good way. I mean, not in a good way, but in a canon way.

Old September 4th, 2009, 3:01 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
Lavender was scary. In a good way. I mean, not in a good way, but in a canon way.
I got it This film wasn't dark, it was "lav-ish"...

Old September 4th, 2009, 10:36 pm
Second Year

It's funny, because my friends and I have an ongoing inside joke about the darkness in the films. Mostly because everytime a new Harry Potter movie comes out, my mom always informs me that everyone says it's "the darkest one".

Anyway, I'd have to say that Half-Blood Prince is probably the darkest.. atleast, it's tied with Order of the Phoenix for darkest.

Half-Blood Prince, aside from its ongoing comedy, has two students in near-death situations (the whole thing with Ron would've been better had he not said that one line, but I still think the point was made either way). Also, one of the most loved characters of the series is murdered by a member of the staff. Not to mention the Inferi and Horcruxes, and the fact that Death Eaters were helped into the school by a student. I would have to say, until Deathly Hallows comes out, Half-Blood Prince is generally the darkest film.

Order of the Phoenix, however, has the dementor attack, Umbridge, Mr. Weasley being attacked, Harry's mind being penetrated by Voldemort, Sirius's death, and the big battle at the Ministry of Magic. Plus we discover that Harry absolutely has to be the one to destroy Voldemort.

So, in all fairness, I think the two movies each have valid points of "darkness".

Oct. 31 2009
One of the best days of my life.

Can you see? You remind of how I used to be.
Let's say goodbye to our maybes,
incomplete, just a texture of how life really is.
And it seems to feel so real.

Last edited by padfoot__lives; September 4th, 2009 at 10:52 pm.
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:46 pm
Third Year

i'd say OotP. the tone of the film was very dark IMO, and that was clear from the start. GoF could have taken my vote, but there was too many supposedly "happy" moments interspersed in it for it to be a dark film. and if HBP hadn't had the huge focus on the trio's romantic entanglements, IMO it would have tied with OotP for darkest HP movie.

Old September 4th, 2009, 10:52 pm
First Year

Probably the GoF, both the beginning with Bryce and the end with the maze/Cedric's death were rather scary/dark. HBP would rank as second; the scenes with the arrival at Hogwarts, DEs' attempts to break through the wards, Vanishing Cabinet, and Knockturn Alley felt pretty dark to me too. Funny that I wasn't half as impressed by what the movie makers clearly meant to be scarier, such as the Burrow, or the Cave/AD's death as I was by those subtle images.

Old September 5th, 2009, 1:23 am
Third Year

Order of the Phoenix.
Everything about that movie is dark, especially angsty Harry. But, thematically and based on cinematography, the atmosphere is really dark, as well as the lighting. I don't remember ever seeing a lot of light in the movie, which was a good intent from the director since it's the darkest book (in my opinion). Even when they were outside in the great sunlight, it was still a bit foggy and cloudy.
Based on storyline-wise, the book was a lot darker than the movie, but the movie was the darkest one out of the movie, if that makes sense.
HBP was said to be even darker, the darkest film of them all, but I beg to disagree on that because it was the funniest film of the bunch.

Old September 5th, 2009, 2:13 am
First Year

To be honest GOF is pretty dark and awesome!
OOTP is dark too

HBP is part Dark/Light at the same time

"To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. "
—Albus Dumbledore

Follow Me On Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/APGB
Old September 5th, 2009, 11:17 am
Second Year

I think ,overall, the darkest is OotP. It had this despair and dark,moody atmosphere in almost all scenes. Hogwarts was a gritty,colourless place and Harry was cut off from anyone else in most scenes. And the climactic sequences at the Ministry were dark and intense.
BUT HBP has the darkest scenes in the series even though, overall, it's very dark but balanced with the humour and romance. But truly, the London and Burrow attacks were extremely dark and atmospheric. But the darkest moments had to be all Voldemort memories and all scenes with Draco. Spinner's End, Knockturn Alley, Hogwarts, Express, Room of Requirement visits, Sectumsempra...all scenes were dark and mature. The same happens with the amateur attacks of Draco to Katie and Ron as well as the entire climax from the Cave to Dumbledore's death and Snape's flight. All these scenes are possibly the darkest of the series along with the Graveyard scene in GoF.
So overall OotP had this dark and moody feel while HBP has the darkest scenes in the series. GoF was a great change in terms of darkness. PoA helped a lot with all the dark aesthetics of the castle and the Dementors scenes but maintained a kids film. GoF really moved forward and DH will be the darkest film for sure.

Old September 8th, 2009, 9:04 pm
Third Year

I would probably say GoF. The scene at the end was pretty intense.

My wand! Made by Christian Mills (captain_mills) from the Mills Family Wand Company.
Click here to see more pictures.
Old September 10th, 2009, 1:47 pm
First Year

Must be either Order of The Phoenix or Goblet of Fire, of course. The scene where Voldemort is reborn is scary as hell. But during Order, he had dreams and even the lighting got kind of darker (anyone noticed?)

Slytherin!
Old September 10th, 2009, 2:57 pm
First Year

OotP was probably the darkest of them all, the occlumancy lessons being one of the main factors that contributed to that sad, depressing atmosphere that we see in the movie, but in the book aswell (actually, a lot more in the book than in the movie). In GoF the thing that shocked me the most was Cedric's death,mainly because it was just so sudden and random and Cedric was such a nice character, but that was really near the end so it doesn't matter that much to the overall feel of the movie. In the last books/films there's always something terrible that happens near the end

Old September 13th, 2009, 5:50 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Goblet of Fire. From the Quidditch World Cup on. Although there were some humorous scenes, the overall sense of the movie was pretty dark (IMO)

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old September 13th, 2009, 8:46 pm
Fourth Year

Goblet of Fire was pretty dark, sans The First Task (its coloring wasn't too dark). There were a few comic scenes, but overall a very dark film. The Lake, The Graveyard, The Maze, the QWC, etc.

I've only seen OotP roughly three times. My general impression is it wasn't quite as dark as GoF. Close, but not equal.

HBP would have been perfect darkness if the romance had been downplayed (which IMO, they should have done; the romance should not have been a focus). Even with the romance though, you have the Bathroom Duel, Dumbledore's Death, Malfoy in the RoR, the Cave, Hermione's Aching Heart, etc. Plus the overall coloring was beastly dark.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies