Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

"A Very Potter Musical"

Old January 6th, 2009, 12:07 am
First Year

Re: Harry Potter the Musical? Watch it or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullangel View Post
You're quite right and on-to something about this... Now that I think back to school, musicals often work right when a character expressing something... Music alows a character to express inner emitions, like singing a melancholy love song for ginny about the monster in his chest or how they would have to break up... Whatever... In fact I am starting to become a believer... With the right music and songs... Maybe it isnt so Horrific if they patterend it to High School musical... But not cheesy and gay... Maybe a lot like Phantom of the Opera or Moulin Rouge or even Chicago.
I'm glad that I am making a believer out of you
In all honesty I was really sad when I didn't think anyone was responding because I have so much enthusiasm for this topic while others seem to... ignore it
I think it would be neat if some people who knew how to do these things (write music, choreograph/block theater, act, design props, write etc.) got together and just made a sample of an HP musical. A single scene in one of the books that was reworked and recorded. I think it would be neat to see HP fanfilms. God knows, I watch so many Star Trek fan-films I'm starting to get a headache it might be nice to see something different for a change.
I'm moving to Vancouver soon and I know a few talented people myself. I might see if I can coerce ummm... I mean implore them for help. It would be a big job, but I think I may be able to find people who are just as enthusiastic as myself.
lol, I just had an image in my head of Snape going around the castle singing "When You're Evil" by Voltaire! Hahahaha! I would never do that, but it is quite amusing... in my mind anyways. (Tripping McGonagall down the stairs XD I swear, I really do love her, it just fits the song is all!)
That Dark Mark musical sounds interesting! Kudos to you!

"I suspect Nargles."

Last edited by NauticalAcronym; January 6th, 2009 at 12:52 am. Reason: another random thought
Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:59 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrewtmaster View Post
Can these really be classed as musicals? I think not. Really it's an opportunity to bleed parents dry as their kids demand all the useless merchandise. If there ever was a Harry Potter Musical you can bet your bottom dollar (lol just realised that that's from Annie!) that making money would be number one priority instead of providing quality entertainment.
High School Musical? Uh, that's what I thought they were.........

Well, and that's what I think would make this whole thing annoying and unwatchable -- there would be little entertainment value, or as little as could be got away with and still have money made!

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." ~ Mother Teresa

ø ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Old January 6th, 2009, 12:49 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NauticalAcronym View Post
I'm glad that I am making a believer out of you
In all honesty I was really sad when I didn't think anyone was responding because I have so much enthusiasm for this topic while others seem to... ignore it
I think it would be neat if some people who knew how to do these things (write music, choreograph/block theater, act, design props, write etc.) got together and just made a sample of an HP musical. A single scene in one of the books that was reworked and recorded. I think it would be neat to see HP fanfilms. God knows, I watch so many Star Trek fan-films I'm starting to get a headache it might be nice to see something different for a change.
I'm moving to Vancouver soon and I know a few talented people myself. I might see if I can coerce ummm... I mean implore them for help. It would be a big job, but I think I may be able to find people who are just as enthusiastic as myself.
lol, I just had an image in my head of Snape going around the castle singing "When You're Evil" by Voltaire! Hahahaha! I would never do that, but it is quite amusing... in my mind anyways. (Tripping McGonagall down the stairs XD I swear, I really do love her, it just fits the song is all!)
That Dark Mark musical sounds interesting! Kudos to you!
The sad fact is when people hear musical they think...

Keep it gay!

Well it worked for the "Producers" But if they wanted to be taken seriously by true fans, do it like High School Musical meets Phantom of the Opera and Chicago darker and more depressing at certain parts... But keep the singing down to the parts where its needed, and keep Voldemort from singing...

I remember once reading Springtime for Voldemort is not a good idea for a school play...

Who the Heck Recast?

See my HP music videos at Youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAAm8ogssSU What is behind the Shell?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBRqBm52n-8 Is Harry "Good Enough" by Evanescence
Read My Crossover Fanfic: Goblet of Fire
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114176
Old January 6th, 2009, 5:23 pm
First Year

Quote:
The sad fact is when people hear musical they think...

Keep it gay!

Well it worked for the "Producers" But if they wanted to be taken seriously by true fans, do it like High School Musical meets Phantom of the Opera and Chicago darker and more depressing at certain parts... But keep the singing down to the parts where its needed, and keep Voldemort from singing...

I remember once reading Springtime for Voldemort is not a good idea for a school play...
I completely agree. There are some people who just WOULDN'T sing (Voldemort singing would be... questionable and perhaps a snickering moment). I think you can still pull off some people you wouldn't expect singing, but the key to that is that when they sing they have to sound like themselves. Make sure that the personality of the individual is very evident in the way it is written and how it is performed.
A darker musical would be really neat, even for the first couple of books because, lets face it, CoS could be much darker if it was done for an older audience.

"I suspect Nargles."
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:49 pm
Third Year

Instead of singing Voldemort... I remember an old play My Fairlady we where required to review it way back when as I recall Rex Harrison didnt do any singing... His song is a speach with musical accompaniment so it didnt look like singing.

Who the Heck Recast?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBRqBm52n-8 Is Harry "Good Enough" by Evanescence
Old January 7th, 2009, 9:53 pm
First Year

I'm going to have to watch "My Fair Lady" again some day!
I can't believe I don't own it as I have a huge crush on Jeremy Brett :P
Hmmm, I like that idea! It would keep the reserved and more severe characters in their places, making it far more interesting and far less giggle inducing. A very good idea

"I suspect Nargles."
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:18 pm
Third Year

Thank You, I just hope someone picks up the Idea and runs with it as i said once and say it again once deathly hallows gets shown... We're all left in the curb with nothing to look forward to.

Who the Heck Recast?

Old January 31st, 2009, 6:30 pm
Banned

Hurray! Harry Potter the Musical is a no go. This is very good news because IMO, it would have been a complete disaster.

Old February 5th, 2009, 10:04 pm
First Year

Quote:
Thank You, I just hope someone picks up the Idea and runs with it as i said once and say it again once deathly hallows gets shown... We're all left in the curb with nothing to look forward to.
yes...In my Potter-inspired musical Dark Mark, Voldemort does not sing per se. Tom Riddle has two or three songs in the first act but after the transformation to voldemort, he mainly just yells with music backing him.

I make my own rules
Old February 5th, 2009, 10:13 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CissyBella View Post
yes...In my Potter-inspired musical Dark Mark, Voldemort does not sing per se. Tom Riddle has two or three songs in the first act but after the transformation to voldemort, he mainly just yells with music backing him.
Not a bad idea! Hmm... Do you have a song where he blatantly talks about muggle suppression? That I feel would make a scary number.

Who the Heck Recast?

Old February 5th, 2009, 10:55 pm
First Year

not at the moment, though I can add one later on if you like...the theme of Dark Mark leans mor toward those of duality and bravado through the prime examples of the Slytherin men (Tom, Lucius, Severus, Regulus, Draco) so I try to bring their internal conflict to the forefront rather than nefarious plotting.

I make my own rules
Old February 6th, 2009, 1:45 am
Registered Animagus

This has got to be one of the silliest HP-related ideas so far.

Old February 6th, 2009, 2:08 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CissyBella View Post
not at the moment, though I can add one later on if you like...the theme of Dark Mark leans mor toward those of duality and bravado through the prime examples of the Slytherin men (Tom, Lucius, Severus, Regulus, Draco) so I try to bring their internal conflict to the forefront rather than nefarious plotting.
Thanks! Just keep it up... You'll find something to do with your script weather it gets shown at a local high school or something... Never know when it could be handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
This has got to be one of the silliest HP-related ideas so far.
Well if you keep it "GAY" as it where it would be a bad idea, but make it DARK foreboding and depressing would that make up for it?

As I always say after DH movies... We got nothing else to look forward to... Not unless someone makes an Animated series then we got something to watch.
-Or-
JKR gets someone ot co-write Potter... But that of course if off topic (Sorry)

Anyway... All we can hope for is someone out there comes with a winning solution for everyone to keep everyone satisfied and a fan.

Who the Heck Recast?

Last edited by skullangel; February 6th, 2009 at 2:12 am.
Old February 10th, 2009, 2:16 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
There is talk Harry Potter the Muscial... Would you watch it?

Would'nt it be interesting to see some of the cast that could carry a note sing in it? If so who would you think do great on London's West End or Broadway?
I would DEFINITELY watch it if I had the opportunity to. But I would much rather see a Harry Potter version of Avenue Q...you know, HP characters as puppets singing and cracking jokes (but Avenue Q is basically adult humor, so they would be excluding a lot of HP fans). Watching Snape sing would be hilarious.

"Fell out of bed, butterfly bandage, but don't worry
You'll never remember, your head is far too blurry
Put him in the back of a squad car, restrain that man
He needs his head put through a cat scan
Hey editor, I'm undeniable, hey doctor, I'm certifiable"
Old February 10th, 2009, 8:23 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
skullangel
Well if you keep it "GAY" as it where it would be a bad idea, but make it DARK foreboding and depressing would that make up for it?
Nope. I don't care who the cast is, who writes, directs etc. I'm totally convinced it would be a huge blunder and a laughing stock. But that's just me.

Old February 11th, 2009, 9:53 pm
First Year

I actually wouldn't mind seeing this. Mel Brooks could write it and turn it into a comedy.

Think about it...

Tap dancing death eaters. Got you hooked now don't I?

Old February 12th, 2009, 1:36 am
Third Year

No. They can't all be Buffy musicals.

Fan Fic: The Face in the Mirror Always happy to have Feedback
Old February 28th, 2009, 9:25 pm
Second Year

Oh my god!! I would totally watch a Harry Potter musical!!!!

Old February 28th, 2009, 10:41 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilCubanita67 View Post
I would DEFINITELY watch it if I had the opportunity to. But I would much rather see a Harry Potter version of Avenue Q...you know, HP characters as puppets singing and cracking jokes (but Avenue Q is basically adult humor, so they would be excluding a lot of HP fans). Watching Snape sing would be hilarious.
Awesome. I would totally watch that.

Old June 25th, 2009, 1:58 am
Fourth Year

If anybody wants to see what a Harry Potter musical might look like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JnQuMyzPfE

That's just the first part of part one, but the rest are available on YouTube.

"WHAT THE DEVIL IS GOING ON HERE?"
-AVPM.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies