Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Half-Blood Prince Movie Reviews v.2

View Poll Results: What did you think of the movie?
A – Fantastic Adaptation. I loved everything about this movie. 36 15.52%
B – Very Good Adaptation. I enjoyed the movie. A few minor issues but no big deal. 89 38.36%
C – A Good Adaptation. I was entertained. Some room for improvement but overall it was fine. 48 20.69%
D – Viewable Adaptation. There are lots I would have done differently though. 24 10.34%
E – Below Average Adaptation. It needed improvements throughout, unfortunately. 23 9.91%
F - Awful Adaptation. I found the film almost intolerable. There is a great deal wrong with HBP 12 5.17%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 1st, 2009, 2:36 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Half-Blood Prince Movie Reviews v.2

Version 2 of the the HBP movie review thread.

Moderator's note:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions on the movie. There is no one greater opinion. If people believe something about the film that you utterly disagree on, then please try to see things from their point of view.

If people abuse other reviews in here, it'll be met with a sharp action from staff, ranging from warning points to instant removal from the area.

Last post of version one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniatic
I loved it, it's my favourite so far, there were a few issues, if I think about it, that could be problematic, but in general it was both creepy and funny at the same time, I love how it flowed and I thought it worked well, and had a natural progression in it....I loved the Ginny and Harry sexual tension, he was so wanting her, I enjoyed that so much (For personal reasons)...it was so unique, and had the perfect mix of both the creepy Draco idea and the romantic Lav Lav/Won Won + Hermione love triangle

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Sponsored Links
Old August 1st, 2009, 7:21 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Half-Blood Prince Movie Reviews v.2

My vote is D.
I enjoyed the movie, being a Potter fan, but I didn't love it.
It felt too long, and I can't stand Dumbledore's absence for almost one hour, I didn't like that previous characters were not properly re-introduce, and the new ones were useless, most of them.
HBP will just be remember for his cinematography and for Gambon's performance, and for the question of the century: seen he acts so good, why not use him more?
Didn't like the burrow attack, not because it wasn't in the book, but 'cause it was pointless in my humble opinion.
But nevertheless, from Slughorn's confession to Dumbledore's death, the film shows its best.

Old August 1st, 2009, 7:45 pm
Second Year

I think a lot was wrong it in. There was no funeral, no battle, and as far as i know, bellatrix never set the Burrow on fire. Also, it was stupid how Lupin and Tonks were together in the movie, because i thought that was a big shock in the 7th, and they didn't even have that sort of saddness that was in the books. Also, Voldemort wasn't even in it, in his present form, and i think that since he is a cruicial part in every part of every book and move, he deserved at least some film time. Also, the whole Ginny/Harry thing was much too short. If they were going to do it, at least do it right, the way it was, not just a kiss and then its done. That was just stupid. Also, it really bothered me about how they just killed Dumbledore, and left. What was the point in having allthe other Death Eaters come, if they just gp and calmy walk away(well, with the exception of Bellatrix going al psycho and ruining the Great Hall.) It was pointless. As was the whole Snape going *shh* to Harry. way to give it away that MAYBE he isn't all bad! i will admit though, some of it did have that magical qualiy, but i just think that they could have made it better. I did love the Felix scene, when harry was all happy, i was cracking up with my friend, that was a reallly funny scene. Also, i think that the canary scene was done good. As far as Draco's role, i think that it was really, really, good. The way they showed him so vulnerable, andi felt really bad for the bird when it came back dead, i almost cried...yea im a little bit of a softy, but still. it seemed like Draco's only friend had left him. so yea these are my views on the movie.. kind of mixed..but i guess it could have been worse.

Wit Beyond Measure, is Man's Greatest Treasure

Old August 1st, 2009, 7:55 pm
Banned

Thanks for getting rid of "Perfect" in option "A". I was torn on what to vote for in the last thread because I gave the film an A- but option "A" said "Perfect".

Old August 1st, 2009, 8:27 pm
Fourth Year

"With Half-Blood Prince, I can no longer portray Prisoner of Azkaban as my favourite movie -- the depth of emotion and feeling throughout the film makes this a true cinematic masterpiece."

Half-Blood Prince moved fluently, and evenly-paced -- though there still remain aspects of the story untold, the ominous feeling and essential breaks in the Harry Potter storyline were expressed with finesse. The aspects of comedy, in the midst of all darkness, were well-written and well acted out. Yes, I can only feel that this movie really shone...

The lingering, dangerous feel is not absent, but front and center -- the cinematics of this film were all played out eloquently. I was especially impressed with the [overall] performances of Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) and Helena Bonham Carter (Bellatrix Lestrange).

If I had to think about much longer how I liked this film, I would start to cry. And maybe I wouldn't even feel ashamed.
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
5 stars -- Must-see!

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." ~ Mother Teresa

ψ ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Last edited by eaglestreasure; August 1st, 2009 at 9:35 pm. Reason: opinion edits, formatting :)
Old August 1st, 2009, 8:54 pm
Fourth Year

I gave it a C.

I thought that it was a very good film, but there were alot of things wrong with it. Not only in terms of being an adaptation, but some parts just didn't work at all IMO. I still enjoyed the movie loads though.

Old August 1st, 2009, 9:07 pm
First Year

Overall, I REALLY enjoyed this movie. I thought it displayed some of the best acting yet, and although there was so much emotional distress and dark scenarios at the end, I still got a ton of laughs during so many moments. I could really connect emotionally with all of l the characters, and there were so many moments that showed the depth of all the relationships. I thought it was a really well done film on almost every level. The only complaint I had was I wish the final confrontation between Harry and Snape had been a little more intense, but what was there was amazing.

I think all the trio, along with Ginny put out some amazing acting. Emma Watson's always been a fav, but I think she did even better this time around. And wow, Tom Felton! Michael Gambon too, did, in my opinion, the best job of portraying Dumbledore that he's done yet. He really had the knack of the character this time around.

I could go on forever about how much I loved this movie, so I'll just give it an "A"

"You told us once before," said Hermione quietly, "that there was time to turn back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?"

"We're with you whatever happens," said Ron.

"The fierce new sun dazzled the windows as they thundered toward him, and the first to reach him were Ron and Hermione, and it was their arms that were wrapped around him, their incomprehensible shouts that deafened him."

Proud Gryffindor

Old August 1st, 2009, 9:17 pm
Second Year

Ron and Hermione in HBP

Anybody else notice Grint and Watson didn't say many lines to each other throughout the film? More often than not they would converse through Harry. It isn't major but it just irked me Ron and Hermione don't seem as friendly as they do in the books.

Old August 1st, 2009, 9:24 pm
Snidget of Champions

From the first version:
Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971
I agree. Helena Bonham Carter did a much better job in portraying Bellatrix in OOTP. But I would attribute that to the material she was given for HBP - and possibly the editing since they did cut things from the Burrow attack. Whatever the problem, she comes across as a rather lame villain in HBP and not much of a threat for them to worry about. Hopefully they do better with the character of Bellatrix for DH.
I agree about Bellatrix, but I also do not blame Helena Bonham Carter. I think she did very well for the part that was given to her, but I think her characterization of Bellatrix was slightly off because of the director's vision. In Spinner's End I think she excellently portrayed Bellatrix (with the minor irritation of whispering the entire scene, as it felt to me), but from there the scenes that were given to her purely set up Bellatrix as a deranged, maniacal Dark witch. I think the Death Eaters' exit from Hogwarts was the chief reason for this. Snape, Draco, and the other Death Eaters seemed to casually exit Hogwarts (with some excitement by the Death Eaters), whereas Bellatrix was shown almost as psychotic. Yes, Bellatrix, in the books, is a dangerous witch with an obsession with Voldemort and for death, destruction, and torture, but I do not think that is how she is presented in HBP. She seemed very unstable to me, whereas I think the Bellatrix from the book is obsessively dangerous, yet in complete control over her excitement and actions. I did not get this feeling at all in the film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacred_Memories
I got quite emotional during two parts in that scene.

1. Hermione saying "I've always admired your courage, Harry. But sometimes you can be really thick. You don't really expect to do this all by yourself. You need us, Harry."
This was a great line, but I thought it was slightly nullified by Ron sulking in the background. With Ron in the background, I felt it would have been more fitting for Hermione to say, "You need me, Harry." I agree that Hermione and Harry's exchange at the Astronomy Tower was a great ending, though I did not get the feeling it was leading to an adventure among Harry, Ron, and Hermione; it felt more like a lead up to an adventure between Harry and Hermione.

From this version:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactheknife
I gave it a C.

I thought that it was a very good film, but there were alot of things wrong with it. Not only in terms of being an adaptation, but some parts just didn't work at all IMO. I still enjoyed the movie loads though.
I agree. I really enjoyed this film (it is my third favorite), but I felt it butchered some aspects of the story (not only in plot, but in characterization, etc.). The film was great, but it had evident potential to be much better, I think, by fixing very simple things (e.g. The waitress scene, the attack on the Burrow, no battle after Dumbledore's death, etc.).

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old August 1st, 2009, 9:36 pm
Fourth Year

I picked B. Although I really love the movie now, it took me 3 views to get to that point. Like Klaus said above there should've been more Dumbledore (one more memory would have worked for me) and it does tend to get a little slow in the 2nd half.

Overall though the good outweighs the bad for me. I have no more complaints for this one than I do for most of the others. It's tied with PoA with me as a favorite and only time will tell which wins the crown.

Slughorn's character was pure gold. He really left an impression on me and Broadbent was the best actor in the film. Gambon was great as usual, but like I said before, he felt distant and should've been around more. Emma stepped up her game 100% This was my first time not cringing at something about her performance since PoA. The comedy was good and the film had heart. It could've been better sure, but it did have heart. I couldn't stop smiling.

The music is even really good. I hated it on first viewing and each time I started to appreciate more. It fits the film VERY well. Although not having many memorable themes (although there are a few I can't get out of my head now), it does it's job well.

The Burrow Attack however was done poorly. I liked the idea but the execution didn't work. The movie flowed well until that point and took some time picking up afterwards.

You can't please everyone doing adaptations. They went the relationship route and it works well enough. The film was dark throughout and some of the camera work blew my mind. So HBP to me is a really good film, not great, but it's charming and has heart and that's one thing about the books that made me fall for the series.

"In my life I have seen things that are unimaginably
horrific. I know now...you will see worse."
Old August 1st, 2009, 9:42 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTucker View Post
Thanks for getting rid of "Perfect" in option "A". I was torn on what to vote for in the last thread because I gave the film an A- but option "A" said "Perfect".
Yeah, kinda the same thing here. I give it a solid A (9.5/10 or 95%) but I was reluctant to choose the first option because it said "perfect" and to me it wasn't perfect (yes, there WAS flaws, but then what film doesn't? ), but it was damn close! Closer than any of them yet!

Although, I notice it still has the issue of saying "I loved everything about this movie" Hmm, well no...there are a few scenes or aspects I didn't "love" Really though, with a different editor, a few scenes removed (ie Burrow Attack) and/or not altered, it would be "perfect"

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; August 1st, 2009 at 9:49 pm.
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:22 pm
Zonko's Employee

The Burrow attack gets better each time you see the movie. Bellatrix and Greyback do attack Harry and Ginny in that clearing, but Harry and Ginny are fighting them off until Lupin, Tonks and the others arrive.

The one issue I have is that the WonWon/LavLav sweetheart necklace scene comes right after it. It destroys the mood. It would have went better had the film went directly from the burrow attack to the Harry/Hermione newspaper scene, then cut directly to the fake memory, saving the necklace-Won Won scene for later.

You see, the Burrow attack helps remind the audience what's at stakes, and for the fake memory to come right after, it would give context to Harry and Dumbledore's mission and add weight to Dumbledore preaching Harry on the importance of obtaining the true memory. It still sorta works that way now, but the Won/Won bit wrecks the tension.

As for the poll...I think I'm going to vote B this time...I still love the movie, but I do reckonize some of it's flaws now. The romantic comedy stuff does drag on for a bit too long and the pacing drags here and there. I personally loved the movie, but looking at it objectively as a film, I can realize some flaws, but as LC said, what movie doesn't? I still think it's the best of the Potter movies! (hopefully so far...DH 1 and 2 better top it! )

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Last edited by MasterOfDeath; August 1st, 2009 at 11:24 pm.
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:22 pm
Member of the Order

I gave this a solid "E"
E – Below Average Adaptation. It needed improvements throughout, unfortunately.

There is too little "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," and far more of "Harry Potter and the Half-blood Failboat."

Too much sliced out of the book, and additions that were extraneous and execrable that were not only nonessential, but wasteful and useless. This movie would have been better served by keeping the original material. (This ole flying smoky Death Eater poop was a tiresome gimmick in the last movie.)
I will not purchase the DVD when it becomes available.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:39 pm
Second Year

My second showing was disappointing. I went from A- to B in my estimation. I think it was too long, and choppy. I loved each shot's detail (lemon drops by Dumbledore's desk at end) but it lacked a central thrust (to me). Also, I disliked the astronomy tower, it seemed like you had to look around the central sculpture all the time to see what was happening. I will enjoy the DVD as I won't be forced to sit still during it.

PS. I don't care how many people trash movie #1, I've seen it like 200 times now, and it is still the best one.

I liked the goldfish / lily petal story very much. They did a lot right, but seemed to lack a good overall editor.

Emma Watson is tremendously improved as an actress.

Last edited by FemmeCerebus; August 1st, 2009 at 11:43 pm.
Old August 1st, 2009, 11:43 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
There is too little "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," and far more of "Harry Potter and the Half-blood Failboat."

This is an amazing quote. The movie was dominated more by a hope to please the viewer aesthetically than to be a powerful adaptation. It's kind of what I expected though.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 1:27 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
I gave this a solid "E"
E – Below Average Adaptation. It needed improvements throughout, unfortunately.

Too much sliced out of the book, and additions that were extraneous and execrable that were not only nonessential, but wasteful and useless. This movie would have been better served by keeping the original material. (This ole flying smoky Death Eater poop was a tiresome gimmick in the last movie.)
I will not purchase the DVD when it becomes available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by envisionlfe

This is an amazing quote. The movie was dominated more by a hope to please the viewer aesthetically than to be a powerful adaptation. It's kind of what I expected though. (end quote)

I've been looking for what I felt was wrong with the movie, and, the two quotes above pretty much say it. Sometimes I get the impression that filmmakers think if they throw enough special effects into a movie it makes up for substance. I'm hopeful that this doesn't become the rule for Deathly Hallows. That book deserves to be translated to film with great care and deliberation. I hope the producer, director, and, especially the film editor READ the book before they make the movie.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.

Last edited by MinervasCat; August 2nd, 2009 at 1:35 am.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 2:31 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FemmeCerebus View Post
I think it was too long, and choppy. I loved each shot's detail (lemon drops by Dumbledore's desk at end) but it lacked a central thrust (to me). ... I will enjoy the DVD as I won't be forced to sit still during it.
Yeah, that's how I feel. I felt there was no cohesion the first time I watched it, the second time I was restless. It isn't a very rewatchable movie, IMHO, and the reason it doesn't work as a film is becauses there is no momentum. Without a threat, or a sense of climax building, it fills like filler. I did like HBP a bit, but I think that's because I enjoy the story of the book. In the movie, there was lots of drag, and not enough Tom Riddle.

More transitions would've been great. The few transitions there were nice; I especially love the one that flips through the potions book. But does this potion's book ever really mean anything? No. They should've emphasised the irony of Harry not trusting Snape, but trusting the Prince the whole way through.

I also would've loved a flashback to COS, in the Chamber. It would've connected Harry/Ginny to the plot of the horcruxes (the important plot, the one the book is centered around, is the horcruxes and destroying Voldemort and that seemed to take the backseat in HBP). It also would've reminded the audience about the diary, and Harry destroying it. Thirdly, you would've gave Harry/Ginny a sense of history, together, an inner connection to one another.

Then we could've used Christian Coulson in the memory where Tom Riddle inquires about the DADA position. I would've liked that one. It also would've meant more Gambon, and considering how amazing he was in HBP, that would've been great.

Random: I was also impressed by Tom Felton, Emma Watson, Alan Rickman, and Helen Bonham Carter.

"WHAT THE DEVIL IS GOING ON HERE?"
-AVPM.
Old August 2nd, 2009, 3:33 am
Third Year

Didn't really change my vote. Still is and my fav out of all the movies, so I picked B.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 3:45 am
Third Year

I still keep my old vote, B. This is my second favorite Potter film, behind PoA of course, well just because I really loved PoA, but I think HBP was a great film. It's definitely better than GoF and OOTP (in a way, but I think OOTP and HBP are both tied for 2nd place in my favorite films).

Old August 2nd, 2009, 3:45 am
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

It is a shame that Dumbledore wasn't in this one more. This was Gambon's best performance in the part, IMO. In the cave, when Harry had to make him drink the liquid, it was so chilling. To see the greatest wizard in the world begging....on my. That scene was one of the few that really got to me.

It seemed in the book that Dumbledore's hand was more shriveled than in the movie. Any thoughts on this???

The shot of the ring horcrux was very dark, and I had trouble seeing that it was damaged/destroyed. Did anyone else have a problem with this. It might have been the theater. The whole movie was dark and hard to see in some parts.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies