Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Old July 26th, 2009, 6:21 am
Seventh Year

Re: Hardest scene to watch

I'm with the majority, the hardest scene to watch for me was Dumbledore drinking the potion (which is exactly the effect I'd hoped for it).

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2009, 8:02 am
First Year

it was probably Hermione's reaction to Ron and Lavender kissing.

Old July 26th, 2009, 5:22 pm
First Year

In terms of excruciating embarrasment and the noncanon-ness of it, the scene at the beginning in the cafe and the whole Harry/Ginny thing, when she kisses him in the RoR and the Burrow when shes tieing his shoelace etc.
But really, I agree with you guys, Malfoy breaking down, in the bathroom, when he's fixing the Vanishing Cabinet and when he's about to kill DD. Also DD drinking the potion was horrible.

Old July 26th, 2009, 5:34 pm
Third Year

When Ginny kissed Harry, just because it kind of made me cringe a bit. She couls have been better in my opinion, her acting is as good as the others.

Old July 26th, 2009, 9:23 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevrusSnape View Post
The hardest scenes for me to watch were all the scenes involving Harry and Ginny. I didn't really feel that they did a good job on those. I thought the time they were in the ROR was the worst of the bunch and the worst line was when she brings up his shoelace
I fully agree with this. I am not sure why they had to change the beginnings of the relationships so much. Especially when they did the Won/Lav breakup almost verbatim.
EDIT: I also hated that Dumbledore agreed with rather than contradicted Harry on Horcruxes possibly being 'the most common of objects.' That just about ruins the believability of them EVER finding them, considering that was the reason that they looked for Hufflepuff's Cup AND Ravenclaw's Diadem.

Wand: 10.5", yew, dragon heartstring

Pet: Owl
Old July 26th, 2009, 9:45 pm
First Year

The hardest scene(s) to watch for me were those that deviated from the book the most. Specifically, the burrow, which took me momentarily out of the movie goers hypnotic bliss to sharply bringing me round to conscious thought ..... thinking "what"? And then all was well again...lol

P
r O x Y

Old July 27th, 2009, 12:58 am
First Year

Ginny bending down and tying Harry's shoe made me cringe.

I agree, Proxy. A deviating scene that was especially hard for me to watch was when the Burrow was set on fire (not in the book in the first place), but then everyone, most of which are skilled witches and wizards, just stand there and stare as their house is burning down, instead of using aguamenti, which IS USED LATER IN THE MOVIE!!

Old July 27th, 2009, 2:21 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49
None of the scenes were really hard to watch. It isn't like OOTP where I close my eyes when Cho and Harry kiss (I don't know why, I feel like a little kid, but for some reason I can't watch them kiss. It's not like I have a crush on Harry or Dan or anything).

Perhaps it's because you instictively know that Harry and Cho are not meant to be together, that it is a betrayal of sorts to the girl who really deserves him.

The kisses with Ron and Lavender were not hard to watch because they didn't mean anything. They were rediculous and had no real love behind them. Harry and Cho's was bad because there was real feeling behind those, but there shouldn't have been. It is like Harry is doing something genuinely wrong. Ron was just doing somthing stupid, so it isn't as emotional.

That is exactly how I feel!
I can't watch the Cho/Harry kiss, either, for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

Old July 27th, 2009, 4:37 am
First Year

For me, definitely the random added scene about the fire @ the Burrow. It makes me sooo mad when they cut out things that were great and essential in the books in favor of random, seemingly pointless scenes, even if they do have Helena Bonham Carter (who is fierce) in them.

Old July 27th, 2009, 5:13 am
Sixth Year

Emotional wise - definately Dumbledore's scene with the potion.

cringe worthy wise - a tie between the scene with Harry asking out the waitress (not in the book-that drives me crazy ) and the Ginny/Harry scenes. I felt they weren't well done.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old July 27th, 2009, 6:00 am
Third Year

In terms of emotional hard to watch, I'll mimic what the others say and say the whole cave scene. Michael Gambon did a wonderful job as Dumbledore. It was just so heart-wrenching. It's how I imagined it in the book. Although it didn't have the funeral scene, I thought that the death of Dumbledore, and the students and staff raising their wands alight, was still sad.
And Hermione's heart-break about Ron/Lavender. It was just so sad, and just seeing her so sad made me go "Awww..." the whole time. hahaha

As for scenes that were hard to watch because I didn't like them, it was any scene the Harry/Ginny kiss scene. It was just so uncomfortable to watch it. Frankly, any scene with Ginny was unpleasant for me to watch. but that's just me.
And the Burrow on fire scene. Yes, it was exciting, intense, and heart-pumping, but I just couldn't get it out of my mind that it wasn't in the book and was completely unnecessary. It didn't really add anything into the plot or the movie, and both my friend and I, after the scene, were like, "What?"

Old July 27th, 2009, 6:05 am
Second Year

Emotional wise - Dumbledore drinking the potion

Cringeworthy wise - Lavender drawing the heart and her and Ron's initials on the train and Dumbledore and the teachers watching the Ron/Lav stuff in the hospital wing and DD's line after it - that was just awful.

That being said - this is the first HP movie for me where I didn't find that many cringeworthy scenes LOL.

Old July 27th, 2009, 2:50 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumps101 View Post
Cringeworthy wise - Lavender drawing the heart and her and Ron's initials on the train and Dumbledore and the teachers watching the Ron/Lav stuff in the hospital wing and DD's line after it - that was just awful.
Really? I loved those scenes! I think the point of Lavender drawing the heart on the window was that it is cringeworthy.

Old July 27th, 2009, 3:49 pm
Second Year

I cried on Snape's entrance into the tower at the end, and it was very hard for me to watch, because we now know his whole backstory.

Dumbles drinking the potion was also difficult.

Cringe-worthy? The Burrow. I think they could have attacked something else if they wanted to add action, and it certainly didn't have to be the Burrow. Maybe another attack on Diagon Alley, or the Leaky Cauldron, Or perhaps Hogsmeade, if they were going for non-canon.

Old July 28th, 2009, 3:15 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinners_End7 View Post
Really? I loved those scenes! I think the point of Lavender drawing the heart on the window was that it is cringeworthy.
I know it was supposed to be cringeworthy but yeah, I didn't really enjoy it. In fact, I got very sick of the Ron/Lav/Hermione/Cormac stuff the second viewing. The hospital scene was very forced, especially the teachers just standing there IMO.

Old July 28th, 2009, 4:32 am
First Year

Even on the third try, I couldn't watch Harry being pulled into that dark abyss under the lake in the cave. Too scary for me.

Old July 28th, 2009, 6:30 pm
First Year

I think for me it was Dumbledore drinking the potion. It was hard enough to read that part, but even harder to watch visually. Gambon portrayed this scene perfectly.

Old July 28th, 2009, 7:02 pm
Fourth Year

Emotionally wise, there weren't any scenes that were too hard to watch for me, but that's just me. I'm not saying that there weren't any emotional scenes because there were quite a few that were captured excellently. I really felt for Hermione when she was crying and Harry was comforting her. Seeing Dumbledore drinking the potion and then everybody mourning around his dead body was heart wrenching.

Cringe-worthy wise, The shoelace scene!! It was sooo forced. It's really the only scene where I shook my head in disgust during my second and third viewings.

Old memories seldom fade
And bad habits die hard...
Old July 29th, 2009, 3:36 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevrusSnape View Post
The hardest scenes for me to watch were all the scenes involving Harry and Ginny. I didn't really feel that they did a good job on those. I thought the time they were in the ROR was the worst of the bunch and the worst line was when she brings up his shoelace
totally agree, Bonnie Wright could have done better. i heard that the kiss was the first thing they shot with her! wow! way to put her on the spot right at the start! but you cant blame it all on that. maybe she just isnt ready for that dramatic of acting. cuz dan was fine in my opinion

beyond words
Old July 29th, 2009, 4:08 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnKirk View Post
Even on the third try, I couldn't watch Harry being pulled into that dark abyss under the lake in the cave. Too scary for me.
When it comes to scary, the whole cave business was very hard to watch for me. I made myself as small as possible in my chair (in fact, I almost slid down on the floor... ), with my hands in my face ready to put in front of my eyes or stick fingers in my ears if necessary. And I knew that an Inferius would grab Harry, I knew I would jump, and when it came I jumped so violently I almost flew out of my chair, not to mention the little scream I couldn't stop.... I couldn't count the number of people who turned around to look at me, and that was only the ones I saw (I sat in row 6).

When it comes to cringe-worthy, any scene with Ginny makes me want to close my eyes and put fingers in my ears, especially in that shoe lace thing. But, I never liked Ginny as a character, and I never thought Bonnie Wright as Ginny was very good, so that's probably why.

Emotionally, the hardest scene for me to watch is Harry shouting at Snape. I get so angry with him, and to calm down (and restrain the urge to throw my shoe at him, which would surely get me thrown out) I have to tell myself that Harry doesn't know everything I know about Snape.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies