Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Reactions of Non-readers to the HBP movie

Old July 20th, 2009, 1:58 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Reactions of Non-readers

I saw it yesterday with my mom who's read the books and my sister who hasn't but she's seen the movies and understands only about half the plot. But she knew 'Snape kills Dumbledore' beforehand.

Her first question to me was at the Spinner's End scene - "Who's that?"
I told her "That's Draco Malfoy's mom and her sister"
"Draco Malfoy has a sister??"
"Not his sister, her sister dingbat!"

That pretty much set the tone for the entire movie. She jumped even worse than I did when the first Inferi grabbed Harry's arm and let out a shriek so loud that people started snickering. She didn't cry at Dumbledore's death either, but she also asked me if Snape was really good or evil (which I refused to say ). But her opinion is that it was Snape and Dumbledore's plan to kill him. So the movie did achieve it's purpose.

Old July 20th, 2009, 3:43 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurDeLaPointe View Post
It made sense in keeping death eaters as to salvage what little credible threat they seem to be in the series or at least this installment. The thing is we need to show that Hogwarts isn't safe anymore, especially when Death Eaters can infiltrate so easily and totally wreck the place up. The battle wasn't needed because it needed to show how much of an upperhand they have in killing Dumbledore. I mean really, showing what's left of defenses shooing them out would degrade the seriousness of the situation and be the equivalent of an old nanny swatting out burgulars with her frying pan or broom. At the same time it sets up Hogwarts in DH to be run by Death Eaters.
I don't think this is really much of an answer to a non-book reader. His complaint wasn't that the film-makers didn't have a reason to have all the Death Eaters there at the end. His complaint was that the entire plot was pointless, because bringing Death Eaters through the Vanishing Cabinet served no purpose, the scene in the Astronomy Tower would have occurred whether or not the Death Eaters were there. So, his question was, "Why did I just watch a 2.30 hour long movie waiting to see what Draco was doing with the cabinet, only for the entire plan to have had no point whatsoever?"

Old July 20th, 2009, 3:51 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
So, his question was, "Why did I just watch a 2.30 hour long movie waiting to see what Draco was doing with the cabinet, only for the entire plan to have had no point whatsoever?"
But that raises a good point: why did Draco need the Death Eaters in the book, even? He'd have had an easier time doing it all alone! Remember, all of the barriers to him getting to the Astronomy tower arose only because he went to the Room of Requirement in the first place.

I find it curious that this criticism never arose 4 years ago. However, given that 95% of the criticism was from Harmonians wailing about the Hermione's love interests and subsequently picking nits at everything in the book purely out of spite, genuine criticism probably got sidetracked.

This one goes with "How did Fred & George know how to work the map?" One, I suspect that most people didn't worry about it. Second, book readers couldn't help there, either, unless they made up their own explanation.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; July 20th, 2009 at 3:56 pm.
Old July 20th, 2009, 3:55 pm
First Year

They were there to make sure he would finish the job.

Old July 20th, 2009, 3:56 pm
Third Year

I was the only one who has ever read the HP books, so I has to explain to everyone what was going on, who people were, etc. I didn't want them to think Snape's a bad guy, so I explained to them all about how he was really working for Dumbledore all along.

They were pretty upset about Dumbledore's death, since they didn't see it coming.

My mom asked me straight after the movie who R.A.B was. I was pretty surprised she made the connection that he was Sirius's brother!

Old July 20th, 2009, 4:00 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambow87 View Post
They were there to make sure he would finish the job.
That is a good filling in of the blanks: but the book never states that. Indeed, that might have been why the Death Eaters were there: but it is not why Draco would have brought them! Draco is not the sort who would have been thinking that he would fail where he did fail.

Of course, we do know that Draco did not even know which Death Eaters would be coming, so the fact that his motives (truly unknown) and theirs were different is no surprise. Indeed, there even were hints that Greyback's motivations were not the other's motivations. However, as the story has only one protagonist, and as he (Harry) never learns the details, the book readers are forced to guess, too.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; July 20th, 2009 at 4:02 pm.
Old July 20th, 2009, 5:55 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
I don't think this is really much of an answer to a non-book reader. His complaint wasn't that the film-makers didn't have a reason to have all the Death Eaters there at the end. His complaint was that the entire plot was pointless, because bringing Death Eaters through the Vanishing Cabinet served no purpose, the scene in the Astronomy Tower would have occurred whether or not the Death Eaters were there. So, his question was, "Why did I just watch a 2.30 hour long movie waiting to see what Draco was doing with the cabinet, only for the entire plan to have had no point whatsoever?"
Witnesses I suppose. Witnesses to the deed. They did a poor poor job reflecting the urgency of Draco's mission or the futility of it done by him and him alone, but you have Snape's who's allegiance is questioned and Draco who's worth was being tested. You don't necessarily leave confirmation of their act to chance. Then again the unbreakable vow is already a guarantee of the murder being fullfilled because Snape himself did not drop dead.

I usually try my best to answer some questions people have in a cinematic sense, but you indeed brought up something that's just a result of bad writing.

Old July 20th, 2009, 6:17 pm
First Year

When I watched it I felt the movie gave too much away behind Snape's plot, but I watched it again a 2nd time with 4 people that hadn't seen it yet. It was a late showing, so one of them fell asleep, but the other 3 all were very surprised that Snape was bad. None of them questioned him truly being good, so I guess the plot was delivered well in the movie for a non-reader, at least the people who watched it with me thought so.

Old July 20th, 2009, 6:28 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOSE View Post
When I watched it I felt the movie gave too much away behind Snape's plot, but I watched it again a 2nd time with 4 people that hadn't seen it yet. It was a late showing, so one of them fell asleep, but the other 3 all were very surprised that Snape was bad. None of them questioned him truly being good, so I guess the plot was delivered well in the movie for a non-reader, at least the people who watched it with me thought so.

Yea when I watched it the first time I thought it revealed to much about Snape but Ive seen it 2 more times now and Ive talked to maybe 5 people who haven't read the book and they all were very confused and shocked he was bad. So I guess it's different when you already know his true identity

Proud member of

-She is the definition of perfect-
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:48 pm
Fifth Year

I have a feeling SageRacer (my boyfriend) would also have been asking me "Who's that?" a lot, too, if he were one to ask questions in movie theaters and if he had actually cared.

I would actually have been telling him, except that he got rather annoyed with me when I did something similar with Prince Caspian. I knew he hadn't read the books, but had seen the previous move; just like he'd seen OotP movie, but not read any of the books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_snuffles
My mom thinks Snape is a horrible person. I tried to tell her about him, but she doesn't believe me. Wait until she sees DH.
SageRacer thinks Snape has been the bad guy throughout, too, though I had to press him to get him to talk about it at all. His response was more along the lines of "What am I supposed to think about Snape?" or any other character, for that matter. I kind of think there's not enough in the movie for non-readers to fully grasp the complexity of characters that are fleshed out a lot more thoroughly in the book.

The really sad thing about SageRacer's reaction to the movie is the way he totally gets Voldemort and Dumbledore mixed up, I suppose because the names sort of rhyme.

"You don't ever have to feel guilty about removing toxic people from your life. It doesn't matter whether someone is a relative, romantic interest, employer, childhood friend, or a new acquaintance--You don't have to make room for people who cause you pain or make you feel small. It's one thing if a person owns up to their behavior and makes an effort to change. But if a person disregards your feelings, ignores your boundaries, and *continues* to treat you in a harmful way, they need to go."
~Danielle Koepke~
~~~ ~~~

Last edited by LyraLovegood; July 20th, 2009 at 10:59 pm.
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:30 am
Zonko's Employee

I always thought Draco wanted the death eaters there for support...

He was trying to kill the greatest wizard of all time, someone not even the dark lord could kill in a duel...he was a 16 year old student....he would have been foolish not to think of a way of introducing death eaters (back-up) into the school to support him as he carried out the deed.

Of-course, the truth is, Voldemort never expected Draco to succeed. He was only punishing the Malfoy family for Lucius's continued mistakes. He always intended Snape to back-stab Dumbledore in the end, because his plans to take over the ministry (which is what I'm sure Voldemort was busy with during HBP, killing Madam Bones and all), were coming into fruition and he wouldn't need a spy at Hogwarts anymore since the school would soon be under his control. He just needed to get rid of one of his greatest threats: Dumbledore, and to clear the path to Harry Potter. He knew he would never have gotten to Harry with Dumbledore around.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Last edited by MasterOfDeath; July 21st, 2009 at 12:35 am.
Old July 21st, 2009, 2:57 am
First Year

My mom is a fan of the movies, but is a non-reader. She was thrilled with this movie, said it was the best yet. We laughed all the way home about the hilarious lines of The Trio.
Me dad on the other hand, was wondering why they stopped the movie in the middle..... He's a non-reader.... Here's a replay of the converstation:
Dad: That didn't end right!
Me: It ended perfectly, exactly like the book.
Dad: but they didn't give us hope and get on the train again.
Me: The phoenix flew into the sunset and Ron is gonna let Harry date Ginny.... That's hopeful.
Dad: but they killed Dumbledore.
Me: Yes.
Dad: You're perfectly fine with that?!
Me: Yes.
Dad: Does the next one come out next week?
Me: Ooh, this has perked your intrest?
Dad: Yes! They. Killed. Dumbledore.
Me: Yes, they did.
Dad: That's wrong. Wrong, wrong WRONG!
Me: It's right dad.
Dad: I have to pee. Let's go.

Tulio: I will give you the honor of a quick and painless death!
[Grabs tiny dagger, looks at it]
But not with that.

I am in Slytherin. Fear me.
Old July 21st, 2009, 8:39 am
Second Year

Someone in the theater behind me said "That was a waste of money" I assume they were a non-reader and only went for spectacle and CGI action so they were disappointed with the lack of consistent violence.

Old July 21st, 2009, 9:22 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSinister View Post
Someone in the theater behind me said "That was a waste of money" I assume they were a non-reader and only went for spectacle and CGI action so they were disappointed with the lack of consistent violence.

Yea I'm sure for all the non-readers who saw GOF and OOTP thought that the series was getting filled with more action as they go on and probably expected a lot of dueling and such in this one and when they realize the movie isn't about that they immediately get disappointing and chalk up the movie as a failure

Proud member of

-She is the definition of perfect-
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:54 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSinister View Post
Oh dear. Sounds like somebody was expecting Transformers.

I saw the film again on Saturday night and there did seem to be a number of bored teenagers forever getting up to go to the loo.

I also spotted somebody texting. Although I suppose if I were bored with a film, I might do the same.

The people I was with all enjoyed the film. They certainly laughed in the right places.

Old July 21st, 2009, 3:31 pm
Fifth Year

I got the impression that people was a bit disappointed or perhaps shocked when the film was over. It was unusual silent. A friend of mine said it was weird and he felt like nothing really happened this year. I said it was better than OOTP imo. He said he didn't remember that film
When I biked home from the cinema, I heard someone said "I knew Snape was evil." I heard other comments as well, like: "It was a disappointment."

Last edited by Noldus; July 21st, 2009 at 3:34 pm.
Old July 21st, 2009, 7:34 pm
Second Year

I watched the movie with a friend who only saw each film once. He would not touch a book, even if his life depended on it. He understood the movie just fine. He didn't want me to explain anything for him and he knows that I've read the books several times. He thinks that Dumbledore may have asked Snape to kill him, because of the discussion between them when Snape says that maybe he doesn't want to do it anymore. I'm very impressed.

Old July 21st, 2009, 8:35 pm
First Year

My two friends, who've seen all of the movies but haven't read the books, accompanied me on opening night. They both kept going on about how they liked the "new" actor playing Dumbledore! When I told them it was still the same Michael Gambon from the three previous movies they said that they were sad that the character had to die when he finally got the role down right!

Old July 21st, 2009, 9:03 pm
First Year

I went with a non-reader. I had actually gotten to hook her up to read on for the first time, so she began reading a month before the movie came out. She is now at GoF, so she could as well be a non-reader for HBP. She said she was surprised, because the scenes were all agreable to look at one after the other but she couldn't find the main plot, the thread, so had difficulties following on things. What was important, what was not. She said she understood that probably the book gives more info. She didn't quite grasp everything about Voldemort's memories and Horcruxes. She also thought that Snape was on the bad side. I didn't dare discuss to much so as not to spoil anything for her as she reads through... She wasn't unhappy, on the contrary, she liked it enough. But she didn't understand everything. She also didn't quite like the end. She felt something was missing. It felt incomplete.

As a reader, I felt the same. Maybe they will pick up DH right there? That would make the movie longer, but as they will do 2 instead of 1...Maybe the funeral is the beginning of DH...

Old July 21st, 2009, 11:41 pm
Seventh Year

My 11 and 8 year old cousins saw it today. They haven't read the books (even though I always try to get them to ).

I called the 11 year old and he really liked it. He said the part with the "zombies" scared him. I then had to explain what they actually were.
He said he understood clearly what Horcruxes were.
He said he wished there were more memories about Voldemort. I told him in the book there are but they just couldn't fit them all in the movie.
He also thought Malfoy would have a bigger role, even though it was bigger than any of the other movies.
He said it was hilarious, and one of the funniest things to him was when Harry did the pincers.
He was surprised that it wasn't PG-13.
He wanted to know who R.A.B. was. I said I wasn't goin to tell him and then he was like 'c'mon I have to wait 2 years!' So I just told him. I guess it's not a huge deal. I tried to make him guess who it was on his own. I told him to remember the scene where Slughorn and Harry were talking about the Blacks and looking at the pictures. I don't think he remembered so I just told him.
He was wondering how many Horcruxes were left. I reminded him about the diary and the ring. He asked how you destroy them so I told him.
I was surprised at this because in the movie they really don't go into what the objects could be that hold Voldemor'ts soul, but he said maybe it was things from other Houses! I told him the locket was Slytherin's so I guess that's how he came up with that idea.

Edit: Oh yeah, and he said he didn't like the ending.

I didn't get the 8 year old's reaction yet. All I know is that he jumped out of his seat when the hand grabbed Harry

POTTERMORE USERNAME: FelicisNimbus168
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD ME ON POTTERMORE PLEASE OWL ME HERE SO I KNOW WHO IT IS
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies