Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Ultimate Film Collection Editions etc

Old July 26th, 2009, 3:37 pm
Secret Keeper

Re: Ultimate Film Collection Editions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
I am sure that ought to be possible: lots of DVD extras have the additional scenes separately, and sometimes not entirely finished ones, as well, if the acting and/or dialogue is good anyway. It would just look quite odd to actually edit them into the film. Although some directors are very picky about that (in spite of its completest SEE DVDs there are even some known scenes from LotR which have never seen the light of day GRRR).

I wonder, though whether it would be possible to have extra scenes and somehow organise the DVD in a way so you can choose to watch them in their place if you'd like to. That should be possible even with existing DVD technology (although the menu options might be a bit clunky, or you'd have to click the remote especially to stop the film and add the scene in). In BluRay it should be a lot easier, though....

LC, do you know how the ABC extended versions were achieved? What do they look like? How much additional stuff is there? And who did that? Were these edited at the time the cinema edit was achieved? I can't quite see a TV company getting this done?

Obviously, if there are already extended cuts then that should definitely be included, and if would be difficult to see any reason for not doing so!
Yeah, that would be cool. I'm trying to remember a film for which the DVD gives you this option...for some reason one of the Bourne films is coming to mind. You can either watch the theatrical version or choose to watch a version with the deleted scenes edited in.

As for the ABC extended versions, I have no idea really. I guess you've never seen em, huh? (is ABC Family just a US channel?) They're great, essentially what they are is just the deleted scenes from the DVD's edited into their appropriate places in the film and far as I can tell, it looks like the scenes are finished and all. I honestly think (and hope) that WB had thoughts of extended editions from the start practically and they've been in the making. Perhaps they have done post production on these deleted scenes along the way even. If that is the case, they obviously wouldn't tell us because then they couldn't milk the franchise as much as possible...everyone would just hold off and buy the extended edition box set after all is said and done. But as it is right now, ever since the 3rd or 4th film they've been releasing these incomplete box sets with a few gimicky extras and people are buying them. Personally I'm waiting till all the films are done to see what the best they have in store for us is. They'd really be quite stupid not to do something big like LotR, they'd make plenty of profit

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; July 26th, 2009 at 3:40 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2009, 4:17 pm
Winning Teamster

Indeed. But still depends whether they have the material. As I said, for LotR they started preparing the material from the very beginning (even some time before actual shooting started). Peter Jackson is a complete DVD Geek, so he was keen on that. It just wasn't usual back in 2000/2001, so I'd be curious whether Columbus would have done anything of the sort, and the first two would be most difficult to redo now, I'd assume..

Are there ABC versions of PS/SS and COS as well? I'd be less surprised if they had started doing this around the time POA was made, or at the latest with GOF, when it really became a lot more common.

ABC is a US channel, I think, but since I don't really have a TV I have no idea whether people get it over satellite here, or whether ABC (or WB) has sold on the versions to other channels.

I can't remember, either, where I have come across a DVD whwere you could decide to watch extras (not scenes, I think, but technically there isn't a difference) at certain points in the film. I remember that you could choose to turn on the feature, and at times a symbol would become visible, you click that, and it would insert the extra feature and then go back to the movie where it left off.

I'd certainly like to have extra scenes presented in this way, if at all possible. - and that even if they don't have all the post-production done on them.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old July 26th, 2009, 4:44 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Indeed. But still depends whether they have the material. As I said, for LotR they started preparing the material from the very beginning (even some time before actual shooting started). Peter Jackson is a complete DVD Geek, so he was keen on that. It just wasn't usual back in 2000/2001, so I'd be curious whether Columbus would have done anything of the sort, and the first two would be most difficult to redo now, I'd assume..

Are there ABC versions of PS/SS and COS as well? I'd be less surprised if they had started doing this around the time POA was made, or at the latest with GOF, when it really became a lot more common.

ABC is a US channel, I think, but since I don't really have a TV I have no idea whether people get it over satellite here, or whether ABC (or WB) has sold on the versions to other channels.

I can't remember, either, where I have come across a DVD whwere you could decide to watch extras (not scenes, I think, but technically there isn't a difference) at certain points in the film. I remember that you could choose to turn on the feature, and at times a symbol would become visible, you click that, and it would insert the extra feature and then go back to the movie where it left off.

I'd certainly like to have extra scenes presented in this way, if at all possible. - and that even if they don't have all the post-production done on them.
Well, it's not a question of whether or not they have the material. We KNOW they do (check out the "Other Deleted Scenes (NOT on the DVD)" thread for more info)...unless they simply trashed all the extra footage afterwards. And we know original cut of OotP was over 3 hrs.

So it wouldn't require any reshoots or the respective director or anything, they surely have plenty of footage in the vault, only a small portion of which we know of. It's like you said before, whether or not they're able to (or already have done) post production on the footage. Personally I'd rather see the footage un-finished than not at all. Like we know they filmed scenes with Peeves...I'd LOVE to see this.

Ok, the ABC extended versions. Yes, in fact so far the only ones that have been aired extended far as I know are PS/SS, CoS, and PoA. They've said on a couple different occasions they'd do GoF as well, but thusfar I believe we've only seen the normal theatrical version on ABC Family so not sure what is going on there. I suppose it's possible ABC Family took the time to put these together (not WB), I don't know

Old July 26th, 2009, 4:55 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror Fett View Post
The extended/Director's Cut editions are a must, no question. Anything else is fine but I want those above all else.
That is of course assuming that the director's aren't happy with the theatrical releases.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old July 26th, 2009, 4:56 pm
Winning Teamster

That is intriguing to hear that ABC might have done these. I'd love to know how this comes about. Is ABC in some way related to WB? There are only two or three HUGE media conglomerates, so it isn't entirely impossible. But usually the director surely would have to have a say, too. Very intriguing indeed.

By the way, was Peeves cast or supposed to be CGI? If the latter, the likelihood of seeing those scenes diminishes considerably, because they won't easily develop a complete CGI character just for extras, and the empty passes won't look very good. If they have shots of an actor doing it, even if they aren't properly finished, the chances are a lot better.

... and in all cases I was talking about scenes which are already shot. I am not talking about doing scenes that were never filmed. But filming is just the first step. If you have filmed it and the sound is reasonable you can put it on a list of additional scenes, but it's less likely to be cut in, because that costs a lot of extra cash (which is why I am so intrigued about the ABC versions).

How much additional stuff is there in the ABC versions?

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old July 26th, 2009, 5:19 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
That is intriguing to hear that ABC might have done these. I'd love to know how this comes about. Is ABC in some way related to WB? There are only two or three HUGE media conglomerates, so it isn't entirely impossible. But usually the director surely would have to have a say, too. Very intriguing indeed.

By the way, was Peeves cast or supposed to be CGI? If the latter, the likelihood of seeing those scenes diminishes considerably, because they won't easily develop a complete CGI character just for extras, and the empty passes won't look very good. If they have shots of an actor doing it, even if they aren't properly finished, the chances are a lot better.

... and in all cases I was talking about scenes which are already shot. I am not talking about doing scenes that were never filmed. But filming is just the first step. If you have filmed it and the sound is reasonable you can put it on a list of additional scenes, but it's less likely to be cut in, because that costs a lot of extra cash (which is why I am so intrigued about the ABC versions).

How much additional stuff is there in the ABC versions?
As I said, take all of the deleted scenes included on the DVD's (pretty sure it's all of them anyways) and throw them back in where they belong and you have the ABC Family versions. My favorite extended film is CoS, cause I feel that DVD had the best deleted scenes. In that case of that one, I think it's like 17 deleted scenes (which is the most deleted scenes contained on any Potter DVD's), if I recall correctly

As for Peeves, they had cast Rik Mayall

Oh, and there are 4 or 5 major media conglomerates I think. At least there was when I took a media class a few years ago...perhaps there have been mergers since then. And interestingly enough, ABC is actually owned by Walt Disney corportation...a RIVAL, so that's odd

Also, I really don't think it's too difficult or expensive to add the scenes back in. Hell, Aaron made his own versions using home editing software! I didn't notice any difference really from the ABC versions. It's quite easy to do as long as there is an appropriate spot

Last edited by lcbaseball22; July 26th, 2009 at 5:24 pm.
Old July 26th, 2009, 5:37 pm
Third Year

OOTP certainly has a lot of extra stuff that was filmed but not included in the theatrical version of the film. Since Yates is on for the final two films, there seems to be a decent chance he could make a director's cut of the film to include some of these scenes back into the movie.

Old July 26th, 2009, 5:52 pm
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Also, I really don't think it's too difficult or expensive to add the scenes back in. Hell, Aaron made his own versions using home editing software! I didn't notice any difference really from the ABC versions. It's quite easy to do as long as there is an appropriate spot
If postproduction is done, and the sound is fine, then that's reasonably doable, otherwise it's particularly tricky in CGI heavy films (although even those will have scenes where little CGI are needed). Most scenes will need at least colour grading, but that is reasonably easy to do these days. The only thing you then need to do is to get the soundtrack right. You can use bits of existing soundtrack, or you can hope (in a dialogue scene) that you won't need a soundtrack, I suppose.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
Old July 26th, 2009, 5:56 pm
Secret Keeper

I am finding it very intriguing that ABC is actually owned by Disney. I'm pretty sure I knew this already but I had forgotten.

So how the extended editions came about and why ABC airs these WB films, I don't know

Quote:
If postproduction is done, and the sound is fine, then that's reasonably doable, otherwise it's particularly tricky in CGI heavy films (although even those will have scenes where little CGI are needed). Most scenes will need at least colour grading, but that is reasonably easy to do these days. The only thing you then need to do is to get the soundtrack right. You can use bits of existing soundtrack, or you can hope (in a dialogue scene) that you won't need a soundtrack, I suppose.
Oh, I'm just referring to the ABC Family ones. The footage is the deleted scenes on the DVD, which from what I remember is all finished material. So really all WB (or ABC) had to do was insert the scenes in at the appropriate locations, which is very easily done.

For extra deleted scenes of course this would be more difficult depending of whether or not post production on such scenes is finished

Last edited by lcbaseball22; July 26th, 2009 at 6:00 pm.
Old July 26th, 2009, 6:17 pm
Third Year

Kilo I remember you saying something about some problems doing ADR, as the actors are so much older. I personally don't think this is a problem, because on a Cast Commentary of Bridge to Terabithia, Josh Hutcherson (who plays the character Jesse in the movie) said that when he came in to do the ADR on the movie it was months after shooting finished, and by that time his voice had gotten alot deeper, so the ADR deepened the voice that was on the film to match the tone of his voice now, then after he recorded his new dialogue, the ADR guy pushed the tone of the film voice back up to normal and he hightened the pitch of Josh's voice now, the same amount, and then MAGIC! The new dialogue matched the film's dialogue seamlessly! So, i think they can get ADR to work okay, as for recording additional score, David Yates said on the HbP soundtrack that Nicholas Hooper had written and recorded ALOT more than could appear in the movie, who's to say the other films don't have extra scorings kept away somewhere? And i know that the deleted scenes on the first two movies and the last two movies are finished, as in two, 2 of them involve the Flying Car and a scene with Dobby and the floating cake. And i believe the only actual unfinished scenes were on the PoA dvd, and that was the Common Room scene (the Moving Paintings were still blue-screened) and the Knight Bus Scene (again, blue screen backgrounds were still there, which shouldn't be that hard to put it) and Goblet of Fire had a whole additional music sequence with the Weird Sister at the Yule Ball. And we know in Order of the Phoenix that they filmed alot more than what appeared in the movie, and we just know that WB wanted it shorter, so we don't really know how far they got with scoring for this extra material or the vfx for that material we just know it was three hours + and got cut down, we don't know how far they got with it though. I hope that some of what I said is right, but then again, i'm probably being to hopeful, but that's what i think. Lol. I hope that at the VERY least we get the ABC versions along with even MORE additional scenes as extras. and it'd be awesome if we could get really In-depth behind the scenes looks as well.

"The Boy Who Lived Is Almost Here"

I've Been Sorted and I am a very proud Gryffindor!

Last edited by harry5678; July 26th, 2009 at 6:20 pm.
Old July 26th, 2009, 6:57 pm
Third Year

How does Amazon pre-order work? Do they charged your card before it's shipped out or after it's shipped?

I also think Yates said that Matt Lewis and Alfie Enoches will have something special on HBP. They interviewed cast mates and the different departments on the set.

Old July 26th, 2009, 7:06 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyCane23049 View Post
How does Amazon pre-order work? Do they charged your card before it's shipped out or after it's shipped?
They charge you when the order is shipped.

Old July 26th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Seventh Year

Does anyone know when they are coming out?
On amazon it doesnt have a date.

POTTERMORE USERNAME: FelicisNimbus168
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD ME ON POTTERMORE PLEASE OWL ME HERE SO I KNOW WHO IT IS
Old July 26th, 2009, 7:34 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLTucker View Post
They charge you when the order is shipped.
Thanks. I'll wait to pre-order since they haven't got a date released yet.

Old July 27th, 2009, 7:48 pm
First Year

On Amazon, the little banner at the bottom of SS says "creating the world" and for CoS it says "creating the characters".

Does this mean that the special features are not going to be movie-specific?

Old July 28th, 2009, 3:49 am
Squee-worthy

Are the only two that are actually available for pre-order the first two?

Old July 28th, 2009, 4:13 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Godric View Post
Are the only two that are actually available for pre-order the first two?
Yeah. Personally I wouldn't pre-order it or buy it until you read reviews. Is it worth $25.99? I can tell you with experience that a lot of 2-disc special editions are not even worth the usual $22.99 price tag.

Old July 29th, 2009, 1:13 am
First Year

As many have stated, it would be ideal to include ALL of the scenes that went into the directors original vision (not cut for time). That usually adds 25-35 minutes to the commercial release, and would definitely be worth the dough! Commercial releases like "Blade Runner" & "Apocalypse now" seem butchered once you have seen the Directors cuts.

P
r O x Y

Old July 29th, 2009, 6:28 am
Seventh Year

Foremost, it would be great if all of the deleted scenes were provided. Second, I would love to hear audio commentaries - particularly if Kloves (and Goldenberg - participated. In actual news, the Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets Ultimate Collector's Editions are up for pre-order on Amazon.

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; August 9th, 2009 at 1:15 am.
Old August 7th, 2009, 4:38 pm
Second Year

The most that I would wish for the films' distributor to include in future DVD releases would be audio commentaries by the directors, such as Alfonso Cuarón and David Yates, especially one by the former. From what I am able to recall, Cuarón always gave interviewers interesting comments regarding the process of adapting J.K. Rowling's world for the cinema, and I would love to hear more of them. In addition, the second disk of my copy of Prisoner of Azkaban no longer works, and I am thus unable to access any of the documentaries that feature his filmmaking insights; with a new, "Ultimate Special Edition" DVD, I could once again listen to his wonderful thoughts about adaptive creativity and cinematography. As for Yates, he appears to be quite a fan of the novels, and I would love to hear him discuss the hardships that occur during the process of cutting large amounts of the book to create an acceptable film.

Without commentaries, I would see no reason to purchase newer DVD copies of the films. As far as deleted scenes go, I think that the theatrical versions of the Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix films suffice, though I would not mind it if Warner Brothers included some of the forty-five minutes of Order of the Phoenix that they requested David Yates and his crew to cut; as for Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets, let me simply say that I would prefer versions that actually had less material in them than their theatrical versions. There are enough featurettes on the production of the films on the older releases, and I therefore see no reason to include even more in future ones. Bloopers do nothing to interest me, nor do audience tapes; director commentaries are the only new features that would sell these upcoming "Ultimate Special Editions" for me.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies