Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Do Quidditch through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts have a chance to become movies?

Old October 28th, 2008, 4:54 am
First Year

Re: Do Quidditch through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts have a chance to become movies

I'd like to see a fake "Walking with Dinosaurs" type thing on Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Lots of fake CGI creatures walking around and fighting. That would be top notch.

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2008, 4:47 am
Curse Breaker

Re: Do Quidditch through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts have a chance to become movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhelda View Post
I agree, no chance for the books to become movies, because they have no "plot" per se, but a pseudodocumentary on Quidditch hosted by Oliver Wood would be cool beyond extreme! (I love Wood!)
The bigger problem is that these "encyclopedia" works are not stories or even collections of stories. A movie has to tell a story. Otherwise, it is, as you note, just a faux documentary: and real documentaries rarely make much money.

Also, there really is not an audience for this. Only the hardcore Harry Potter fans have bought the books (given the worldwide grosses for Comic Relief, they've probably sold ~3 million copies), and you cannot hope to make any money on selling a film to just the hardcore Harry Potter fans. Even "Golden Compass" sold more tickets than that!

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there.” - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old November 9th, 2008, 9:39 am
Fifth Year

I too agree that there's no way they would become 'movies' in the sense of having a plot and so forth, but definitely a sort of fiction-documentary! Perhaps the upcoming Tales of Beedle the Bard could become a kind of movie or straight-to-film thing for children or such.

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Old November 11th, 2008, 11:40 am
Conquering Reading Lists

No. I dont think so at all. However, this could be a special feature for some special HP Release or something. Or it could be added on and sold with benefits to charity..I dunno..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhelda View Post
I agree, no chance for the books to become movies, because they have no "plot" per se, but a pseudodocumentary on Quidditch hosted by Oliver Wood would be cool beyond extreme! (I love Wood!)
I absolutely LOVE Wood ( Sean Biggerstaff to be accurate). Thats a great idea, but theres little chance of them becoming movies- documentaries is as far as they can be stretched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanksha View Post
No no, if they did that it would be like flogging a dead horse.
Something really should be left to our imaginations!
Oh..I so agree Thats perhaps a good thing.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old November 11th, 2008, 1:25 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
No. I dont think so at all. However, this could be a special feature for some special HP Release or something. Or it could be added on and sold with benefits to charity..I dunno..
Sounds like a really nice idea!

I can't see them being made into a film either, there isn't a storyline or plot.

Old November 11th, 2008, 5:24 pm
Qvack...

I thought the same as some others here, that perhaps they could be made as short pseudo-documentaries which could be released in a DVD version of one of the main films- as sort of a featurette, perhaps. Seems quite a waste of money though, considering that it would all be CGI and so forth- would that be worth it for a short film on a secondary disc anyway?

I know that for me, personally, it would. But for any studio, I can't think they would agree! !

THE DUCK.

Old November 11th, 2008, 7:35 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

They might think about the extras already done on previous DVDs aswell. Where they've discussed the making of, ideas behind, the mythological/creation background concerning things like Hippogriffs, Dementors, plus any of JKR's original creations like Quidditch, etc. Maybe they might do an extra DVD at the end of the series, for the actors and mythology, you never know.

Last edited by Annielogic; November 11th, 2008 at 7:39 pm.
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:43 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Like most people , I don't think they would make a viable movie, for general release or TV. Although, I do like the idea of psuedo- documentaries for DVD release, I think it is very unlikely.

I agree with ,vampiricduck, these type of films would be mostly CGI and would cost so much to produce. I think it would lose the studio money and for this reason I doubt very much that they would even consider producing anything based on these books.

"he loved her for nearly all of his life, from the time they were children." ~ Harry Potter

"To err is human; to forgive, divine." ~ Alexander Pope

Old November 16th, 2008, 3:30 am
Animaga terpsichore

I see these books more like an information television show. or a DVD extra like vampiricduck said earlier. They are a little too short to be made into a movie, inless you combine them. But that wouldn't make since though because the book are based on two completely different subjects.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old November 19th, 2008, 3:23 pm
Qvack...

Oh I agree. I just think it would be fun to have a sort of pseudo interview or something involved too- perhaps offering some insight into how useful the books are.

All wishful thinking, of course, I don't think it will ever happen! !

THE DUCK.

Old September 8th, 2009, 2:00 am
Third Year

I think it would be kind of cool to have a serious documentary about quiditch! That would be funny!

My wand! Made by Christian Mills (captain_mills) from the Mills Family Wand Company.
Click here to see more pictures.
Old September 8th, 2009, 2:27 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7 View Post
I think it would be kind of cool to have a serious documentary about quiditch! That would be funny!
That would be cool! Or a documentary on Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them!

Old September 8th, 2009, 2:28 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7 View Post
I'd love that. I think it would be so cool! It would be really hilarious too. A documentary about quidditch and Fantastic beasts would be cool. I think they should find people to be Kennilworthy Whisp and Newt Scamandar as the narrators!

“I hope you’re pleased with yourselves. We could all have been killed — or worse, expelled.” ~Hermione Granger

"Harry Potter, it's not Twilight, you know; we're not selling sex." ~Emma Watson
Old September 8th, 2009, 4:17 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Right, and simply an excuse to stretch the franchise to an extreme.
True, but I think it's a rather agreeable way to stretch it. Unlike those situations where they completely destroy something just to make more money out of it.

I can imagine this being done in a comical way - for some reason I can't help but hear the voice of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy narrator in my head describing various unfortunate encounters with magical creatures

Old September 8th, 2009, 5:02 am
Fourth Year

It'd be hilarious to turn Fantastic Beasts into a wildlife documentary complete with narration by Sir David Attenborough.

Proud Member of Gryffindor
The Marauders: The Beginning of the End
Feedback

"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others."
--Aristotle
Old September 8th, 2009, 5:14 am
Second Year

that would be so funny. I would watch it all the time but I dont think people that were not obsessed would watch it so I doubt it. The money they would have to spend would be ridiculus.

Old September 8th, 2009, 5:20 pm
Fourth Year

I think they should do a fake documentary each for QttA and FB and have it go straight to video or something like that. They could also have Older Hermione and Ron talking to Hugo and Rose about Quidditch and Beasts and we fade to details from each book. Good luck getting Emma Watson and Rupert Grint though

-JR

Just & Loyal
Old September 8th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Quote:
Do Quidditch through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts have a chance to become movies
No

At most, they would be "mockumentaries" on the BBC

Perhaps as a Christmas special

Old September 8th, 2009, 7:19 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonZephyr View Post
It'd be hilarious to turn Fantastic Beasts into a wildlife documentary complete with narration by Sir David Attenborough.
I like the David Attenborough idea, that's a good one!

It would be good as a short charity piece, but I think that this would be taking the series too far and would make a joke out of the Harry Potter series.

Old September 8th, 2009, 7:29 pm
Second Year

No, they are just not that kind of books. They're just propped with info, you know. It's not a real story. Documentary, perhaps, but yeah...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies