Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services

Moderation of threads

Closed Thread

Old July 24th, 2007, 9:04 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Re: Moderation of threads

Dumby ...

Ok, thanks

The End of the Dream.
Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 9:23 pm
Twilight Princess

Someone mistook it for a Horcrux and stabbed it with a basalisk fang.

Old July 25th, 2007, 3:11 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liselle View Post
I'll check that out for you.
Thanks

Old July 26th, 2007, 7:47 pm
Fourth Year

Why was my thread titled "Why didn't Harry order Kreacher to save him at Malfoy Manor" deleted? If there is a similar topic can you tell me the link?

Sirius died for a reason

The wisest men follow their own direction. - Euripides

Share your favorite quote: Favorite Quote
Muggle Pants Potter Puppets Song

Help Links
Search Engine | CoS Rules | Hogsmeade Review Guidelines | CoS Forums Staff | Signature Content Policy | Search Engine Tutorial
Old July 31st, 2007, 7:32 pm
Third Year

I'm just curious as to why this website is being censored more harshly than the Harry Potter books were by JKR. The site is supposed to be about the books, and yet we can't discuss the books using the same language and/or references that JKR herself includes in the book.

It seems to me that if families/kids are old enough to read the books, they are old enough to handle what's IN the books.

The whole Aberforth goat thread is being mercilessly censored, even though JKR herself made jokes about it, both in the book and in interviews.

Molly uses the "b word" on Bellatrix... so what's the big deal? If we were only allowed to reference every other topic in the books by quoting canon, there would be a complete end to all conversation - we'd all just be throwing quotes at each other!

Unnecessary censorship like this just serves to limit the forum experience... why is it happening?

Sincerely,
Elysia

Old July 31st, 2007, 7:55 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

The goal of our forums is and has always been that our youngest members should feel safe here, and that their parents should feel safe to allow them to be here.

When it comes to Aberforth and his goats a fact is that Jo has never said what exactly he did with them. Everyone who claims that she implied something not family friendly is just extrapolating without having any evidence whatsoever to support their assumptions.

We have no reason to allow the speculation to drift into non family friendly land.

Last edited by Alastor; July 31st, 2007 at 7:57 pm.
Old August 1st, 2007, 8:11 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
The goal of our forums is and has always been that our youngest members should feel safe here, and that their parents should feel safe to allow them to be here.

When it comes to Aberforth and his goats a fact is that Jo has never said what exactly he did with them. Everyone who claims that she implied something not family friendly is just extrapolating without having any evidence whatsoever to support their assumptions.

We have no reason to allow the speculation to drift into non family friendly land.
Of course, I understand that the forum is supposed to be kid friendly... but it's a foregone conclusion that in order to be interested in coming to this site, the kids in question must have read the books and watched the movies, right? Although some posts may look as though they were written by six-year-olds, I doubt there are actually any toddlers logging on. Just seems like anyone old enough to read the books is... well, old enough to discuss them.

Also - have you hung around many kids in your life? Most kids I know are extremely fond of rude noises, off-color jokes, and doing and saying things that make people's eyebrows go up. You say it's the kids you're catering to, but I'd bet it's really the parents, eh?

You've got the whole goat thing sewed up, but I hope you realize (in your real-life, non-moderation mind) that JKR was actually joking about what we were joking about. She's a very funny woman, and she put that in there on purpose, for the exact reason that everyone thinks, but is not allowed to suggest in these hallowed halls.

OK, I've had my say. No, not quite.

Here's an idea. Why not have a section for "underage wizards" and a section for those "of age"? Heck, it worked in the books, why not here? That way you guys would be off the hook liability-wise, and we adult Potter fans would be free to post without feeling like the Ministry of Magic was about to slap us with yet another decree.

Hem-hem!

- Elysia

Old August 1st, 2007, 9:09 pm
Grim of the Baskervilles

Elysia, you make good points. I can tell you that, yes, the staff is aware of all these points and is discussing ways to deal with them, while still preserving the general family-friendly nature of the forum. When a decision is made, it will be announced.

Old August 1st, 2007, 9:41 pm
Fifth Year

I just want to add that the absence of such adult material is one of the reasons I love this forum so much, and I'm neither a kid nor a parent. I would feel highly uncomfortable discussing such goat-related "jokes," as I agree with Alastor that anything inferred from what JKR said has no evidentiary support. In my view, the censorship is not to protect kids from ever hearing such a joke, it's to prevent the conversation from spinning off wildly into unrelated, vulgar forms of humor.

Old August 1st, 2007, 11:38 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
I just want to add that the absence of such adult material is one of the reasons I love this forum so much, and I'm neither a kid nor a parent. I would feel highly uncomfortable discussing such goat-related "jokes," as I agree with Alastor that anything inferred from what JKR said has no evidentiary support. In my view, the censorship is not to protect kids from ever hearing such a joke, it's to prevent the conversation from spinning off wildly into unrelated, vulgar forms of humor.
I would like to second this. It is the main reason that I joined this forum specifically in the first place. I have been very happy with the level of moderation at this site. Some people don't find innapropriate jokes or conversation to be amusing - adults included.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 5:43 am

And considering this post I'll have to take back what I said before about quoting Molly in signatures and avatars.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 8:37 am
Caninophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowPoofBall View Post
Thirded!
I recall there were some threads in the DOIMC that were rated for 17+ due to subject matter, it made it easy for me to avoid them. Perhaps something along those lines could be considered if it becomes necessary.

Introducing the father & son team of Ricky and Jasper! (They might be related to the Malfoys, possibly maybe)

Ricky: One day you shall be a pretty as I, my boy.
Jasper: Yes father!

I'm just Slytherin' around...
Old August 2nd, 2007, 1:25 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel_Fubster View Post
Thirded!
I recall there were some threads in the DOIMC that were rated for 17+ due to subject matter, it made it easy for me to avoid them. Perhaps something along those lines could be considered if it becomes necessary.
The problem with that is putting an age limit on something only makes kids want to see it more.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 7:34 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes View Post
Elysia, you make good points. I can tell you that, yes, the staff is aware of all these points and is discussing ways to deal with them, while still preserving the general family-friendly nature of the forum. When a decision is made, it will be announced.
Thanks, Sherlock. It's good to know.

From the posts that followed yours, it looks like the "underage wizards" area would be quite popular even among adults!

Just to clarify:

I am neither a parent nor a child (like YellowPoofBall) and by advocating an "adult" area, I am not suggesting a free-for-all area for the inclusion of outside, muggle "adult material", or for the allowance of bashing or using obscene language against other forum members.

I'm just wishing for an area where the ENTIRE content of the books and movies is allowed to be freely discussed without censorship.

Thanks again for your reply. I'm off to delve into the DH forum again!

Old August 13th, 2007, 4:53 am
Third Year

I'm absolutely (pretty much) sure that this is the wrong forum to ask this question in... but I can't find the right one.

What is that symbol supposed to be - the one with the two glowing red areas that sort of looks like either a folded flag, or a hanky, or a pair of pants or something - that shows up to the very left of all the Deathly Hallows threads?

I've been staring at it for the past week and I just can't figure out what the heck it is.

Anyone?

Last edited by Elysia; August 13th, 2007 at 5:00 am.
Old August 13th, 2007, 5:24 am

You mean this?

It's "Hot thread with new posts". Find the list of symbols near the bottom of the page between Display options and Posting rules.

Old August 13th, 2007, 11:25 am
Member of the Order

Quote:
It's "Hot thread with new posts". Find the list of symbols near the bottom of the page between Display options and Posting rules.
... and I do believe it's meant to be an envelope with sheets of paper sticking out, although I will always think of pants now whenever I see it!

Old August 13th, 2007, 3:56 pm
Third Year

Quote:
You mean this?

No, no - not that picture! THIS PICTURE...

The poster above understood what I was asking.

What is the icon picture supposed to be? A pair of pants waving from a clothesline? The curtain in front of Mrs. Black's portrait? An angry cheese danish? The Flag of Doom? What?

Last edited by Elysia; August 13th, 2007 at 4:03 pm.
Old August 13th, 2007, 4:02 pm
Rex's Mummy

Well it changes depending on which layout you have, I believe, so which do you use?

Meet Ziggy!!!!
(aka Mali)
Old August 13th, 2007, 4:04 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysia View Post
What is the icon picture supposed to be?
These are Voldemort's eyes from the Deathly Hallows US edition. The icon shows if there have been any new posts in an area of the forums. If the eyes are red and lightning, there were.

I'm afraid the Dark Lord wouldn't be too happy about the former assumptions about what the image could have been, but glad we solved it now.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Closed Thread
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Entrance Hall > The Wizengamot Administration Services