Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Harry Potter Anime Series

Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:31 am
First Year

Re: Harry Potter Anime Series?

anime.... personally i hate that style. the drawings are (in my opinion!) awefull.

My drawing can be find here: http://sekhmet-the-flame.deviantart.com/
Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2007, 1:01 pm
Registered Animagus

Thats like saying the conventional cartoon style is bad. Anime is very diverse and different. Some styles are awful but others are really beautiful and creative. If you got the right kind of artist you could do incredible things with HP. I wouldnt, but the possibility is there. Maybe manga would be interesting too?

Old September 3rd, 2007, 4:12 pm
First Year

Personally I hope thay dont start a anime series. Im not a fan of that type of show. It would probably do okay, seeing as how almost anything with the name Harry Potter will sell, I wouldnt watch it, but younger people might.

Hufflepuff
Old September 3rd, 2007, 5:31 pm
Third Year

I've never watched anime but I know what it is. I would probaly watch it for the simple fact that its something Harry Potter. It would also be interesting if they did every chapter.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 6:43 pm
Second Year

I don't mind the art work, it's just the way the the Asian creators stories are written I have a problem with.

I like Studio Ghibli and Death Note is rather good also, but the culture is so different from UK culture and that translates in the very different way stories are made in Asian Anime compared to Western stories.

Harry Potter is a very British themed story and I wouldn't want to lose that element. I personally have my reservations whether or not Asia is able to get to grips with this due to the difference.

If it was given to an British or even an American company then maybe it wouldn't be as bad. Just as long as that over dramatic action with, slow motion and speed lines etc is taken out that you sometimes see.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 6:57 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Maybe manga would be interesting too?
Harry Potter manga would be awesome.. =) (I'm a bit of a manga geek) ... I think i'd prefer a manga over an anime... Manga tends to be more in depth than anime... And, making Harry Potter an anime, you'd probably get the same problems that you have with the movies.. .. time restrictions..

When injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 7:09 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysteria View Post
Thats like saying the conventional cartoon style is bad. Anime is very diverse and different. Some styles are awful but others are really beautiful and creative. If you got the right kind of artist you could do incredible things with HP. I wouldnt, but the possibility is there. Maybe manga would be interesting too?
you're perfectly right. but i went in a shop with those "cartoons", and I only liked one history's drawings, wich were more realistic. (what's the difference between manga and anime? manga is more a elaborated? )

My drawing can be find here: http://sekhmet-the-flame.deviantart.com/
Old September 5th, 2007, 2:59 pm
First Year

^Manga is like a comic book I believe, anime is usually based off a manga however they can be based of other things too, such as books, games etc.

What about a more western approach? Because I agree their culture is very different, so how about instead of an Asian anime you could have just an animated tv series. If any of you have ever seen the show Xmen Evolution it could be sort of like that, the art style is pretty realistic and not to showy and their plotlines are usually good to and not overly dramatic (as anime sometimes is). However it would be most likely done by Americans and while I don’t mean this to be discriminatory and I hope no one takes it as such but they don’t always get the British culture right either, I suppose it all just depends on who does it.

Old September 7th, 2007, 3:22 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderwand View Post
Yes, Totoro is awesome too.

But the point is, I think lots of people are thinking that HP in anime will be "asian-ized" and wouldn't seem right as the series is set in England etc.

Miyazaki, for example, had lots of his anime based in European settings and used proper actors to do the voices (some notable ones at that). And for his animations, while they stuck to the 'manga' style of drawing, the overall feeling of his animations were clearly heavily influenced by his experience and love for Europe. What I'm getting at here, is that you can adapt a traditional manga style animation to make it more fitting for the story.

However, with HP, you would want to go a step further.

Nothing in the vein of "Sailor moon", 'Akira', 'Astro Boy', etc (goodness no!)

Something like a moving picture book.

More like cartoons for adults to enjoy too.
You would have (for example) the artist who does the English book covers for HP series to draw up the animation/cartoon.

You could make it based VERY VERY closely on the books, as there would be no time boundaries for the animation like the movies, (2 hours per book) because they would be broken up into series.
(The movies omit so much of the novels, that unless you've read the books, then the movies can seem a bit 'cut and paste'-kind of like OoTP did.)

I know so many people who like Harry, but aren't such fans of reading.
And that's ok. I just wished for them, that they get to experience ALL of the books in the series, like the rest of us lucky people are, -whose eyes don't tire after reading for hours at end.
They get to miss all the little bits that aren't so important to be included in the movies, but all add to the depth, detail, appeal, and entertainment of the books.

I mean, just like BBC did with Pride and Prejudice, the book itself can be for some, really hard to read, but because the series made was very closely following the book, those who saw the series could talk about the book to those who have read the book and there would be little, if any gap in the difference of knowledge of characters, minor plots etc.

So, really, is an animation of HP that detesting?

It doesn't have to be strictly manga style.
It could just have an english cartoon style (more sophisticated using the latest technology of course), using English actors to do the voices and broken up into 1-4 chapters per episode (depending on the length and depth of the chapter) etc etc.

It could satisfy those who missed seeing certain parts omitted in the movies that were in the book, make it visually appalling to those who don't respond well to reading, and add another way of sharing a wonderful story to those who have not yet discovered HP series...
Yes!!!I totaly agree with you. It doesn't have to be asianized, It could be very faithfull to the books, And they could include everything. *BOWS*

Old September 7th, 2007, 3:47 am
First Year

i think that an anime series of HP would be a great idea as there would be a need to include the minor creaters like Fawkes the Phoenix and Buckbeak the Hippogriff

Old September 7th, 2007, 4:03 am
Registered Animagus

Rather than a comic book, manga is technically a graphic novel, anime is motion pictures.

Manga would be better I think for what kuroi_shi said. Anime has time restricions whereas manga does not.

You can do some amazing stuff with anime especially action sequences (such as Naruto (wihch started out for kids but as it progressed its more teens/young adults) or Hellsing or Devil May Cry).

Old September 8th, 2007, 12:51 pm
First Year

Quote:
Rather than a comic book, manga is technically a graphic novel, anime is motion pictures.
Ah, my mistake.

Quote:
You can do some amazing stuff with anime especially action sequences (such as Naruto (which started out for kids but as it progressed its more teens/young adults) or Hellsing or Devil May Cry).
Wait, there’s a Devil May Cry anime? Sweet maybe I should check it out! And I agree action scenes are pretty amazing in anime but, well most Harry Potter action scenes comprise mainly of wizards slinging spells at each other, not exactly good action material, but then I've been proved wrong by anime before.

Old September 16th, 2007, 11:32 pm
Third Year

I would love for there to be a Harry Potter Anime Series, but what would it be about? Harry Potter in Hogwarts, or out of Hogwarts, or of different people going to Hogwarts, like the Trios kids?

Old September 17th, 2007, 12:52 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Wait, there’s a Devil May Cry anime? Sweet maybe I should check it out! And I agree action scenes are pretty amazing in anime but, well most Harry Potter action scenes comprise mainly of wizards slinging spells at each other, not exactly good action material, but then I've been proved wrong by anime before.
There sure is. Its amazing stuff I really suggest you check it out.

I dont know what a HP anime would be about but it would be an interesing concept to see. Maybe just a few of the action scenes, but a whole series would be a bit tedious.

Old September 17th, 2007, 5:18 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

I quite like anime and manga, so I think it would be an interesting concept to use those mediums for Harry Potter. I think I would prefer it in manga form because then, as other people have said, we don't have the problem with time restraints. However, if they were to do an anime series/films they would definitely have to cut parts from the books (much like the films at the moment), to make sure it was interesting and that audiences would actually want to watch. I definitely wouldn't want to watch a series with all the little scenes from the books.

A really good idea though. I would definitely watch it/read it.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old December 23rd, 2008, 4:07 am
First Year

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I just wanted to show you an anime version of Harry Potter that was created independently by an artist by the name of Rans on Deviant Art. I'm not a huge anime fan myself, but the adult style of this work is really beautiful and something I thought you could all appreciate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH9YY...eature=related
His/Her deviantart profile can be found here: http://rans.deviantart.com/
I'm sure that he/she would like to know what you think. Apparently a new one is in the works as we speak. I'm very excited

Old December 23rd, 2008, 4:52 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by NauticalAcronym View Post
I know this is a pretty old thread, but I just wanted to show you an anime version of Harry Potter that was created independently by an artist by the name of Rans on Deviant Art. I'm not a huge anime fan myself, but the adult style of this work is really beautiful and something I thought you could all appreciate. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH9YY...eature=related
His/Her deviantart profile can be found here: http://rans.deviantart.com/
I'm sure that he/she would like to know what you think. Apparently a new one is in the works as we speak. I'm very excited
As awesome as that was, I REALLY would hate to see Harry Potter be turned into some kind of recurring sitcom drama anime by Warner Bros.

It makes me sick just thinking about it -- imagine Snape saying things like "OMG" and "LOL" *wretch*

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." ~ Mother Teresa

ø ѕ t - ι и - t ι м є...

Old January 12th, 2009, 5:12 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssareiner View Post
i hope not...that would not make me happy, anime is so overrated
Depend on which anime you've watched. There's many different kinds of anime despite the stuff CN airs.

As for me, I think an anime would be great. The Japanese have far fewer restraints placed on their animation than we do in the west. Thus, the books would get a fair treatment, and Harry Potter is already hugely successful in Japan.

Old April 9th, 2009, 8:18 am
First Year

Now I'm thinking of something along the lines of ''Avatar The Last Airbender" meets "Akazukin Cha Cha". Do 25 episode "seasons" (like the trend in Japan nowadays) for the shorter books, then full 50 episode runs for the doorstoppers. You can have A Day In The Limelight episodes for the Ensemble Darkhorse characters for filler, and have Omake for fanservice.

Old April 9th, 2009, 11:17 am
Third Year

If they ever do Harry Potter into anime... I hope they do it Advent Children or Final Fantasy Style...

No super deformed characters please.

Who the Heck Recast?

See my HP music videos at Youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAAm8ogssSU What is behind the Shell?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBRqBm52n-8 Is Harry "Good Enough" by Evanescence
Read My Crossover Fanfic: Goblet of Fire
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114176
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies