Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Harry Potter Anime Series

Old May 25th, 2007, 11:58 pm
Second Year

Re: Harry Potter Anime Series?

Heehee or lets do it in South Park paper cutout style!

I'm a Ravenclaw!
Want to Get Sorted?

Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:38 am
Banned

Hahaha as awesome as an HP anime sounds, I don't think it'll happen.

I like when people take good storylines [like the one in FFVII] and turn it into an anime. I'd sure love to see Snape in anime form too

Old May 27th, 2007, 3:01 am
Third Year

i dont think that i would watch the anime versions either..i have never been into that and i dont think that anime harry potter will change my mind.

Old May 27th, 2007, 3:19 am
Second Year

Do you really think JK will allow a HP-spin off? I doubt it.

Old May 27th, 2007, 3:22 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The only problem with this approach is that while there is a lot in the books that can't be covered in the films, there is definately not enough content in the books to fill out the amount of episodes required for each season/series (be it Japanese or American). Even with adding entire filler episodes that just deal with ships and things like that there still isn't enough there to keep a Hogwarts year going on for a full year--or even just nine months--of television. I guess this could work if two Hogwarts years went by in one television year with maybe only OotP taking up a full year of tv? It's not impossible though, it just needs a lot changes and tweeking. It would be so much fun to have a new theme intro for each year as the kids get older and stuff.
How about if you did shorter seasons for the smaller books (PS/SS, CoS, PoA)? It's not that uncommon for 10-13 episode season runs these days and I could at least see the first two books fitting that bill.

Even though animation is my preferred media of entertainment, I'm kind of iffy towards the idea of an animated Harry Potter in any style. I mean, it's not exactly a new thing to turn a book into an animated series, but it would take an ace production studio for me to get into it. There is just way too much that can go wrong, as so many people enjoy pointing out with the movies.

I mean, imagine if Gainax did a HP anime.

*imagines Harry as Shinji, Ginny and Asuka, and Snape as Gendo*

No. Just...no.

Don't let spoilers happen to you. Join the ASA today!
Old May 27th, 2007, 3:58 am
Registered Animagus

No way. I really dislike anime and that would really over do the whole Harry Potter world. Books and movies are enough without a cartoon TV show.

Old May 27th, 2007, 4:17 am
First Year

The trouble with an animated series is that when it follows a book, it could follow the plot for only so long. The book ends, and if the show is a hit, they have a new season and no material. They would have to stray away from the book, ticking off fans and the author at the same time. So no, I don't think an animated series would be a wise choice or WB.

Old May 27th, 2007, 5:27 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShutterbug View Post
The trouble with an animated series is that when it follows a book, it could follow the plot for only so long. The book ends, and if the show is a hit, they have a new season and no material. They would have to stray away from the book, ticking off fans and the author at the same time. So no, I don't think an animated series would be a wise choice or WB.
Not necessarily, most animated series nowadays run for 3, 4 seasons the most.

If did one season per book, we'd have 7 seasons.

One thing that would REALLY make this animated series different from any other ever made is that the characters actually age between, and through out, the seasons.

Not only growing as a character, but actually aging.

You see, we all know that HP is 11 on the first book, heck the whole book starts a little before HP 11th birthday, by the 7th book he's turning 17.

And between 11 and 17 there is a world of difference. Not only to mention the jump start Harry was forced on his first year.

I think an animated series, if well done, would be awesome.

Last edited by MstrControl; May 27th, 2007 at 5:48 am.
Old May 27th, 2007, 6:28 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MstrControl View Post
Not necessarily, most animated series nowadays run for 3, 4 seasons the most.

If did one season per book, we'd have 7 seasons.

One thing that would REALLY make this animated series different from any other ever made is that the characters actually age between, and through out, the seasons.

Not only growing as a character, but actually aging.

You see, we all know that HP is 11 on the first book, heck the whole book starts a little before HP 11th birthday, by the 7th book he's turning 17.

And between 11 and 17 there is a world of difference. Not only to mention the jump start Harry was forced on his first year.

I think an animated series, if well done, would be awesome.
There are very few animated series (that I know of) that actually have the characters aging and developing as a series goes on. Even fewer are well-done to the point where you actually notice the differences.

I'm not against an animated series. I agree that it would be awesome if done well. Whoever would end up doing the show would have to take the source material seriously and I've seen cases in both America and Japan where this just wasn't the case.

Old May 27th, 2007, 6:37 am
Second Year

I'd support this if Hayao Miyazaki did the seasons, each season = one book, and they'd take their time to make it high quality. That means there WOULD be reruns during the summer, but ultimately would make for a much better product. Of course, Goblet of Fire, Order of the Phoenix, and Deathly Hallows would all get new episodes during summer thanks to the length.

Old May 27th, 2007, 8:41 am
First Year

You know... all these talk about an animated series of HP made me think...

I believe we might have here a LOT of brain power, and perhaps just a few less who would be willing enough to devote some time and effort and make this the first collaborative animated series in the world.

Think about it.. Although my drawing skills are virtually non-existent, I could surely do the edition.

Some one could volunteer to do the scripts (one episode per chapter?)
20 minutes per episode (not counting the credits)

Still we will need some to do the storyboard, draw the keyframes.

Although I agree that a conventional animation would be better -- CGI requires a lot of investiment in motion capture, lip synchonizarion, and a lot other stuff -- I think we could acheive a compromise and "draw" virtually, with vectorial graphics for the animation, which could be then animated following the keyframes, and all.

Not to mention the voices, sound effects, soundscores (which I think could be related, but not necessarily BE, from the movies)

Yes, I know it's a lot of work, but I think it can be done, if we put enough effort into it.

What do YOU think?

Old May 27th, 2007, 8:58 am
First Year

I am a Multimedia student and I say that having Harry Potter as an anime series is a TERRIBLE idea.

The coverart for the Harry Potter books, at least the American versions, are crafted by the hands of an artist who is skilled with pastels. That is why those covers have the unique, chalky blending that has become associated with pastel art. Yes, I realize that you can duplicate this process in programs like Adobe Photoshop, but it will not have the same effect. People are constantly confusing the coverart for something that can be quickly altered into something relatively Japanese so that it could be made into an anime. Harry Potter does not fit the anime "frame". I know that the newer animes take place in France and such, but they are not popular. Most people associate anime with Japan. I have a great quantity of English blood in me and the Harry Potter series makes me very proud of that. I know that seems to be a ridiculous claim, but it does. I would hate to see something like Harry Potter be made into an anime simply because I don't want Harry Potter to be treated like an anime. The giggly, over random people that tend to follow animes like Chobits, Full Metal Alchemist, Yugioh, Sailor Moon (old school), etc. annoy me. I love being a Harry Potter fan because I love spending time with fellow Harry Potter fans. To pull this series into the anime world is just...WRONG. I don't want to become annoyed with my favorite series. No. It would just ruin the feel of Harry Potter. People like Harry Potter dripping in British influence. I don't want to see Crookshanks as an anime cat or Harry Potter with a sweatdrop drawn on his forehead. The mere suggestion of this frightens me and I do hope that people higher in authority are not thinking about performing this treasonous act.

If anyone in power gets this idea, JK will get a thousand letters from me begging her not to comply.

x | x Snape is a friend. x | x
Old May 27th, 2007, 9:28 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
I am a Multimedia student and I say that having Harry Potter as an anime series is a TERRIBLE idea.

The coverart for the Harry Potter books, at least the American versions, are crafted by the hands of an artist who is skilled with pastels. That is why those covers have the unique, chalky blending that has become associated with pastel art. Yes, I realize that you can duplicate this process in programs like Adobe Photoshop, but it will not have the same effect. People are constantly confusing the coverart for something that can be quickly altered into something relatively Japanese so that it could be made into an anime. Harry Potter does not fit the anime "frame". I know that the newer animes take place in France and such, but they are not popular. Most people associate anime with Japan. I have a great quantity of English blood in me and the Harry Potter series makes me very proud of that. I know that seems to be a ridiculous claim, but it does. I would hate to see something like Harry Potter be made into an anime simply because I don't want Harry Potter to be treated like an anime. The giggly, over random people that tend to follow animes like Chobits, Full Metal Alchemist, Yugioh, Sailor Moon (old school), etc. annoy me. I love being a Harry Potter fan because I love spending time with fellow Harry Potter fans. To pull this series into the anime world is just...WRONG. I don't want to become annoyed with my favorite series. No. It would just ruin the feel of Harry Potter. People like Harry Potter dripping in British influence. I don't want to see Crookshanks as an anime cat or Harry Potter with a sweatdrop drawn on his forehead. The mere suggestion of this frightens me and I do hope that people higher in authority are not thinking about performing this treasonous act.

If anyone in power gets this idea, JK will get a thousand letters from me begging her not to comply.
I understand what you're saying and I can relate with the feeling.

However, I picture something along the lines of The Batman, or Justice League, instead of a japanimation.

With drawing more humanlike, and less caricaturous.

Old May 27th, 2007, 11:28 am
Second Year

Keep in mind that not all anime has the stylized "big eyes, big hair, big overblown personalities" that the popular shows do. There is enough variety in the various artstyles that one could easily find a realistic approach to the character's looks.

Same could be said of American animation as well. I wouldn't mind seeing HP done in the style of the DC Animated Universe, or Disney's Gargoyles, or even Avatar.

Old May 27th, 2007, 3:06 pm
First Year

I realize that there are different genres of anime and I am a huge fan of Avatar, but I would hate to see Harry Potter thrown into that group. The Harry Potter movies are important to us because of its heavy association with the books that we enjoy so much. Animated shows tend to stray from the original idea of the story. For instance, I am a big Disney fan, but I shutter when I see the Aladdin, Lilo and Stitch, and such animated shows on the television. There is a show called Timon and Pumba that actually have the animals playing with human things. The point of the original story is always lost. I would not want that to happen to Harry Potter. It would make people hate the series.

Old May 27th, 2007, 5:05 pm
First Year

Quote:
I realize that there are different genres of anime and I am a huge fan of Avatar, but I would hate to see Harry Potter thrown into that group. The Harry Potter movies are important to us because of its heavy association with the books that we enjoy so much. Animated shows tend to stray from the original idea of the story. For instance, I am a big Disney fan, but I shutter when I see the Aladdin, Lilo and Stitch, and such animated shows on the television. There is a show called Timon and Pumba that actually have the animals playing with human things. The point of the original story is always lost. I would not want that to happen to Harry Potter. It would make people hate the series.
Why would an animated series necessarily stray from the books?

It all depends on who wrote the scripts.

And without the constrains of a live action movie (even with the almost unlimited power of CGI) if can REALLY be a wonderful thing to watch.

I believe that if WE start doing something toward this goal we will make a very nice animated series.

Old May 27th, 2007, 7:21 pm
First Year

Quote:
Why would an animated series necessarily stray from the books?

It all depends on who wrote the scripts.

And without the constrains of a live action movie (even with the almost unlimited power of CGI) if can REALLY be a wonderful thing to watch.

I believe that if WE start doing something toward this goal we will make a very nice animated series.
Your mentioning of WB actually made me laugh. That network is actually widely known for their butchering of original plots. No...Harry Potter would not do for any type of animated feature. Just be satisfied with the movies, kiddos.

Old May 27th, 2007, 8:03 pm
First Year

Quote:
Your mentioning of WB actually made me laugh. That network is actually widely known for their butchering of original plots. No...Harry Potter would not do for any type of animated feature. Just be satisfied with the movies, kiddos.
I don't think that you quite got what I said.

I said W E as in volunteered, colaborative, fan made, animated series.

I never mentioned anything about Warner Bros. doing the animation. Although they do own the rights on the characters and all.

Old May 28th, 2007, 1:14 am
Student

I don't like the idea of Harry Potter being made into an anime. It wouldn't work. It's not suited for that genre.

Old May 30th, 2007, 2:56 pm
Offishul Fan Girl

Please, no anime. I used to be an anime fan until I lived in Japan for a few years and realized how soppy and emo they were. Even my favorite "space opera" Robotech is irritating after awhile. They're just too silly- with all the doubletakes, spit-takes, fearful gasping, whiney-ness and overall cute-itude, they feed a romantic's hunger for drama and are made to appeal to teenaged girls and young women in their early 20's.

Even "Appleseed", "Battle Angel Alita", "Evangelion" were annoying. Plus, the idea of Harry and Ron with all that random spiky hair and big eyes is just egregious.

Edit: forgot to add "in my opinion."

Harry flirted with Tinkerbell for about an hour before he realized that she was the new substitute DADA teacher.
And he knew how long THEY lasted.

Last edited by Lillbet; May 30th, 2007 at 4:24 pm. Reason: save your fork, there's pie!
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies