Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Big Bang Theory

Old January 19th, 2011, 2:16 pm
Curse Breaker

Re: Big Bang Theory

Yes, congratulations to Mr. Parsons. It's interesting how much the landscape has changed. Nearly four decades ago when MASH was winning all of its awards, a character like Sheldon would have been impossible. We were left withy cartoon villains like Frank Burns as the butt of the star palyers' joke and as a result Larry Linville rarely got credit for his contribution to a great ensemble cast. These days, the character of Sheldon is phobic and filled with arrogant condescencion, and yet he is beloved--if there IS a star in this great ensemble, Parsons seems to be it.

They're returning from hiatus with another road trip episode and Amy included in the gang. Is it possible that actress will make the jump to series regular next year, she's guest-billed far more often than any of the previous guest stars.

Having now seen Season 3 on DVD--I have to both eat a little crow and register a complaint. First the crow--I was incorrect. Leonard and Penny's relationship tallies eight months on the show timeline, not a year. It's the longest relationship we've seen mentioned for her on the show so far. We should have known that Amy was our cliffhanger for this season after that closing scene. She was billed as a one-off joke, but that's not how things played out.

Now, I have to ask--couldn't they have done better with the break-up? It seems that the break-up stuck not because of the inciting incident (Leonard saying "I love you") but Leonard tripping all over himself trying to excuse himself later--rather like a larger version of the fight that ripped things up after that first Schrodeinger's Cat kiss.

Which leads me to the following question--was this sequence of events penned quickly at the actors' request to accomodate interpersonal difficulties?

No worries. No spoilers here.
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2011, 1:50 pm
Registered Animagus

Bumping this thread now that the 4th season has come and gone. What an awesome finale! Raj and Penny was pretty funny, I thought it would have been good to see some Raj/Leonard conflict after though.

Hoping Priya doesn't come back next season... I'm not really a fan

Old May 22nd, 2011, 7:45 pm
Curse Breaker

I think they've bowed to fan pressure and Priya is history except for perhaps a single episode visit late next season (or seasons after that). There's no way that's a long-term threat and Raj doesn't even remember what happened (thanks to all that cheap wine) so he doesn't even have a glowing brief memory to fall back on. I'm hoping they spend next season repairing the Penny/Leonard relationship.

The group is expanding though. Bernie's going to be a permanent fixture in the show (even with Howard's problems with reversed gender roles). Plus, Amy's turned out to be something of a hoot. I didn't particularly like her early on this year, but they seem to have found a comfortable niche for the character.

Old May 22nd, 2011, 9:36 pm
Rocket Scientist

I hated amy at first but i like her so much better now. I like her with the girls especially and occassionally with sheldon! I really like bernie too she's perfect for howard. I look forward to penny and leonard getting back together but the raj thing im sure will bite penny in the butt later im sure. kinda like ross and rachel on friends... the whole we were on a break thing!

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old May 23rd, 2011, 7:26 pm
Fifth Year

Raj and penny. why did i see that coming when i read the preview of the episode. but i think it will somehow not make such a big deal next season apart from a joke or two at pennys expense. priya is obviously going back to india so thats that and i do hope howards insecurity doesnt ruin his relationship with bernadette.

Power: A Collection An attempt at one shot fics. Latest Chapter The Trap

Get the daily news on the The Daily Prophet or read past articles in the Daily Prophet Archives

Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:17 pm
Registered Animagus

Yeah I feel the same way. Next season it won't be a big deal.

I didn't like Bernadotte or Amy at first, but they both grew on me. Priya on the other hand, is a constant killjoy and is never funny IMO she doesn't really serve any long-term purpose.

Old May 24th, 2011, 12:56 am
First Year

As much as I like Amy and Bernadette I'm afraid it's just going to turn into Friends. Penny and Raj hooking up doesn't do anything to help dispute this theory.

Old May 24th, 2011, 3:28 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

I've been watching the show for a while, and thought I'd jump in.

I think Priya is supposed to be annoying and unfunny. I get the impression the writers want us to want Leonard and Penny to get back together, and the unfunny Priya is there to create a comparison unfavorable to her. That Penny and Raj get together after a drunken night and Leonard finds out about it only increases the tension that was relieved by Priya's imminent absence.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old May 24th, 2011, 1:47 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignisia View Post
I've been watching the show for a while, and thought I'd jump in.

I think Priya is supposed to be annoying and unfunny. I get the impression the writers want us to want Leonard and Penny to get back together, and the unfunny Priya is there to create a comparison unfavorable to her. That Penny and Raj get together after a drunken night and Leonard finds out about it only increases the tension that was relieved by Priya's imminent absence.
Actually i read an article in this past week's EW that said the writers caved to fan wishes and got rid of Priya. I dont think that was their original intent but it did bring forth more of the Leonard/Penny shippers. I really dont like Priya she's boring compared to everyone else.

Old May 24th, 2011, 6:00 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
Actually i read an article in this past week's EW that said the writers caved to fan wishes and got rid of Priya. I dont think that was their original intent but it did bring forth more of the Leonard/Penny shippers. I really dont like Priya she's boring compared to everyone else.
Oh that's good! I'm surprised they kept Priya so long, and even more suprirsed to think fans would like her. It's not like she's terrible, but she's just so dull. Plus she takes attention away from Raj.

Old September 16th, 2012, 2:52 am
Second Year

Can't believe this isn't a hot thread. I'm obsessed with this show. Sheldon is my favorite character.

I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?
Old September 16th, 2012, 1:55 pm
Third Year

Honestly the show is worth watching even if it's just for some of the most ridiculous yet amazing facial expressions by Jim Parsons. What an amazing actor

Old September 16th, 2012, 3:45 pm
Registered Animagus

I love this show too. It is like so hitting my bubble. It is so funny. And i actually like all the characters who are all very distinctive even though they are similar.

Old September 17th, 2012, 4:33 pm
Curse Breaker

I like the show too. I'm a Leonard fan.

Old September 21st, 2012, 4:40 pm
Third Year

New season soon! Excited?
Sheldork fan all the way! Oh, and Penny! *wink*

DO NOT DISTURB: SPIDERMAN DANCE IN PROGRESS!
Old September 21st, 2012, 4:51 pm
Curse Breaker

I'm a Leonard, Penny, and a Leonard/Penny relationship fan, myself.

Did you know that Stewart, the comic-book store owner, is coming aboard as a series regular? Why are there no more simple recurring characters on this show? If Josh Malina's the dean for two more seasons will he become a series regular?

Also, most of the discussion is about Howard. Will he move out with his new bride...is he emotionally ready for marriage...how will this affect Raj? Blah, blah, blah.

Look, I have nothing against the actor who plays Howard. I liked him as a support player on Studio 60, I even smile when I'm flicking channels and every so often his ubernerd character from Cinderella Story floats past. However, Howard as a major player in this series doesn't sit well. Even the Skype jokes about his astronaut training didn't work all that well.

Old September 21st, 2012, 4:55 pm
Third Year

I like Howard, when he's with Raj. They're a TV duo. I get what you mean!

Also, slightly crude, but I have a friendly bet that the next season is where Sheldon will probably lose his virginity.

Old September 21st, 2012, 6:25 pm
Rocket Scientist

I love sheldon! I also really like Barry Kripke. Not sure why they are making Stewart a regular but should be an interesting addition.

Old September 21st, 2012, 7:04 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
I love sheldon! I also really like Barry Kripke. Not sure why they are making Stewart a regular but should be an interesting addition.
Would much rather have Kripke as a regular. More Sheldon and Kripke scenes too!

Old September 21st, 2012, 8:25 pm
Fourth Year

Stewart is okay but it seems weird to make him a regular. Maybe it will work though. I really liked Leslie but she seems to have disappeared.

Just a random thought, but isnt it weird that Penny doesnt have a last name?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television