Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

View Poll Results: Which of Neville's actions was the most awesome?
Neville organising the resistence. 73 19.11%
Neville asking the Carrows how much Muggle blood they have. 15 3.93%
Neville fighting the battle according to his strengths. 14 3.66%
Neville telling Voldemort that he would join him when hell freezes over. 153 40.05%
Neville killing Nagini. 105 27.49%
Neville understanding the Room of Requirement. 9 2.36%
Other. 13 3.40%
Voters: 382. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 26th, 2014, 9:34 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Re: Neville Longbottom: Character Analysis

Neville rocks, from start to finish. The quiet dignity with which he protects Trevor, his parents and his friends, the way he slowly emerges from his shell under the caring tuition of Lupin, Sprout and Harry, the defiant way in which he undergoes torture rather than betray what is right and engages in guerrilla warfare with the DE in the tunnels beneath Hogwarts and the irony whereby, in killing Nagini, he avenges the death of the man who made his schooldays hell and shows he is too big a man to hold grudges. Such a beautiful, beautiful character.

Sponsored Links
Old January 26th, 2014, 10:33 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
the irony whereby, in killing Nagini, he avenges the death of the man who made his schooldays hell and shows he is too big a man to hold grudges. Such a beautiful, beautiful character.
In doing this he keeps his word to Harry too ,Harry asked him to kill Nagini if Harry failed to do it . Neville was the only one other than Dumbledore and Harry who talked back to Voldemort, and showed everyone that he wasn't afraid of what Voldemort could do to him . A great journey of growth and discovery IMO ,even more-so than Harry's journey.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old January 27th, 2014, 7:02 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Neville rocks, from start to finish. The quiet dignity with which he protects Trevor, his parents and his friends, the way he slowly emerges from his shell under the caring tuition of Lupin, Sprout and Harry, the defiant way in which he undergoes torture rather than betray what is right and engages in guerrilla warfare with the DE in the tunnels beneath Hogwarts and the irony whereby, in killing Nagini, he avenges the death of the man who made his schooldays hell and shows he is too big a man to hold grudges. Such a beautiful, beautiful character.
I could not have said it any better.

JKR laid out Neville's character right there from Book 1. He lacked confidence, and he was convinced he was worthless. But on a re-read, you could see that the qualities that later made him stand up to the DEs and ultimately slay Nagini were right there from the start.

I didn't really start to "notice" Neville (at least not as a character to watch out for) until Book 5. It was really that heartbreaking scene at St. Mungo's that put him on my radar and made me realize that JKR had something major in store for him.

But I never in a million years suspected that she was going to have him kill the snake. I don't think I've ever wanted to jump up and down and scream and cheer more than I did when Neville slew Nagini. Unfortunately, it was about 4am at the time, and the rest of the household was asleep.

From that moment on, though, Neville made my personal Top 5 HP Characters list.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old January 30th, 2014, 6:52 pm
Eldest Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
I don't think I've ever wanted to jump up and down and scream and cheer more than I did when Neville slew Nagini. Unfortunately, it was about 4am at the time, and the rest of the household was asleep.

I simply love that we all had these moments while reading the series. Quite a reward to JK's talent I guess!

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old January 31st, 2014, 4:22 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gertiekeddle View Post

I simply love that we all had these moments while reading the series. Quite a reward to JK's talent I guess!
She completely sucker-punched me with that one. And I loved it.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old January 31st, 2014, 9:19 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
I loved the character right from the beginning - and the development of this bold Gryffindor is a joy to behold. When he slew Nagini I cheered and punch the air! And there were tears in my eyes when his grandmother arrived in the RoR.... because SHE was so proud of him.

Old January 31st, 2014, 12:03 pm
Renegade

Somewhere around here I predicted that the final battle would happen at Hogwarts, and that Neville would play a big role in it. I'm guessing it was after reading OotP.

He knocked me out in the last three books.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old January 31st, 2014, 12:37 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I must get in my final thought before the forum officially closes.

Neville was one of my favorite characters from the first book on and it remained that way all throughout the series. When I first read book 1 14 years ago, I figured that Neville was going to be part of the group, so in my mind, I figured it was going to be the foursome, not the Trio.

In book 1, he was interesting giving how insecure he was and such and even in book 1, thanks to Ron, for instance, he did stand up for himself by fighting Crabbe and Goyle. From that point forward, I knew that Neville had it "in him" and that he'd probably gain more confidence in himself as time went on, but I was a bit put out when he wasn't used as much as he could've been for CoS, PoA, GoF, etc., but OotP and DH definitely made up for it.

He shined the most, of course in OotP and DH. I was a bit disappointed that he didn't get to take out Bellatrix, but his slaying of Nagini was just as great. Even though Neville wasn't main character, like the Trio, JKR still managed to develop him nicely.

Old January 31st, 2014, 1:03 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

I think I might be the only person in the world unmoved by Neville. The only time I genuinely cared about him was when he was in St. Mungo - that was heartbreaking. His becoming a hero did nothing for me though. I always liked the emotional parts better than the heroic ones anyway; I bawled at Harry walking to his death with his dead parents but wasn't that excited about the fighting in the final battle, so that's probably just my personal preference.

Old January 31st, 2014, 1:28 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
I think I might be the only person in the world unmoved by Neville. The only time I genuinely cared about him was when he was in St. Mungo - that was heartbreaking. His becoming a hero did nothing for me though. I always liked the emotional parts better than the heroic ones anyway; I bawled at Harry walking to his death with his dead parents but wasn't that excited about the fighting in the final battle, so that's probably just my personal preference.
Well, we may be the only two.....

I like Neville, but his character never really spoke to me very strongly. And I was disappointed that he wasn't the one to kill Bellatrix, although i later understood that him killing the creature who killed the teacher who was hard on him was a good ending.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown
Old January 31st, 2014, 1:34 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
And I was disappointed that he wasn't the one to kill Bellatrix, although i later understood that him killing the creature who killed the teacher who was hard on him was a good ending.
I think that if he had been the one to kill Bellatrix then it would have sent a message out that the "good" side is motivated by personal revenge, not the desire to protect human life and decent principles. For that reason, I'm actually very glad he didn't kill Bellatrix.

Old January 31st, 2014, 2:21 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
I think that if he had been the one to kill Bellatrix then it would have sent a message out that the "good" side is motivated by personal revenge, not the desire to protect human life and decent principles. For that reason, I'm actually very glad he didn't kill Bellatrix.
Indeed. Moreover, Neville was never a self-confident stellar dueller. I already found it a massive stretch that Molly could take on Bellatrix but it would have stretched my suspension of disbelief beyond breaking point if 17-year-old Neville had managed to beat Bellatrix in a duel.

Old January 31st, 2014, 2:40 pm
Renegade

I think Molly and Bellatrix might have been Jo's "Mama Grizzly" moment. I loved it.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old January 31st, 2014, 2:43 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
I loved it.
Who didn't?

Old January 31st, 2014, 2:51 pm
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
Indeed. Moreover, Neville was never a self-confident stellar dueller. I already found it a massive stretch that Molly could take on Bellatrix but it would have stretched my suspension of disbelief beyond breaking point if 17-year-old Neville had managed to beat Bellatrix in a duel.
That's a very good point. Plus, I like better the idea of the super mom beating the "anti-mom" better than Neville seeking revenge against Bella for what she did to his parents. Having Neville kill Nagini gave him a heroic moment that has no strings or baggage attached.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old January 31st, 2014, 2:58 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
Who didn't?
I didn't.

Old January 31st, 2014, 4:52 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

For me Neville was the truest and best example of his house.

His bravery was so much more admirable because you knew he was scared but overcame it, he knew, probably better than most of his generation, what the coming war would mean and what he was risking - and yet he still risked it.

There is no bragging, or boasting, no cruelty to, or demeaning of, others. He is supportive of his comrades and left without a leader he helps organise school wide resistance (and as much as I love Luna, and as feisty as Ginny is I think they really needed him to make it work)

He demonstrates loyalty countless times through out the series.
He works hard to overcome his weaknesses.

To me he is what a Gryffindor should aspire to be.

My Fanfic - The Silver Thread - (WIP) updated 03/07/09

Sig by the most professional, clever & witty Boushh
(Original photo-manipulation of AR by helin)
Old February 5th, 2014, 4:13 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
That's a very good point. Plus, I like better the idea of the super mom beating the "anti-mom" better than Neville seeking revenge against Bella for what she did to his parents. Having Neville kill Nagini gave him a heroic moment that has no strings or baggage attached.
Completely agree. Neville had a lot of awesome moments in DH, but what made each of them so great was the fact that he was simply doing the right thing because it was the right thing to do. What happened to his parents was a motivating factor, but he wasn't looking for revenge. He just wanted to do what was right and help in any way he could.

I picked "other" in the poll for that reason - and I just couldn't pick one so, for me, "other" means all of the above.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old February 8th, 2014, 10:59 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehawk View Post
I think Molly and Bellatrix might have been Jo's "Mama Grizzly" moment. I loved it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
I was so happy to see Neville take out Nagini it was such a fantastic way to show how far he had come . He kept his word to Harry by killing Nagini instead of striking at Voldemort which really made me cheer. He is the best example of gryffindor bravery ,he also showed that Loyality is not just a Hufflepuff traight. He showed that he could lead others in battle ,which I thought was great.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old February 9th, 2014, 6:15 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
I was so happy to see Neville take out Nagini it was such a fantastic way to show how far he had come . He kept his word to Harry by killing Nagini instead of striking at Voldemort which really made me cheer. He is the best example of gryffindor bravery ,he also showed that Loyality is not just a Hufflepuff traight. He showed that he could lead others in battle ,which I thought was great.
I loved that moment . Was really proud of Neville and how far he'd come. Loyalty, bravery and friendship. And he did a good job at leading others in battle as well. Bravo, Neville, bravo.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies