Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies

Nagini: Character Analysis

Old July 7th, 2012, 10:24 pm
Second Year

Re: Nagini: Character Analysis

I think it was only through (a) desperation and (b) opportunity that Nagini was used to become a horcrux; Riddle was obsessed with the idea of the seven-part soul, and has - as far as he knew - come up one short; he was intending to use the infant Harry to create his last horcrux.

You're the weak one. And you'll never know love, or friendship. And I feel sorry for you.

I'm LightChaser4263 on Pottermore.
Feel free to add me as a friend, but please owl me first on CoS. Thanks!
Proud member of Gryffindor House in the Chamber of Secrets and on Pottermore.
Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2012, 2:49 am
First Year

1. Definitely the bit of soul in her made her more human. The thought process in OotP proves that.
2. I think that in the beginning Nagini hated Voldemort but after a while she started to like him because of him letting her eat his victims and stuff...
3. Actually I think some people might have misinterpreted this and the "hold him" was actually Voldemort talking to her as he like, prepared to set out to Godric's hollow.
4. Maybe she started out hating Voldemort and then began to like him for all the food in return for hosting that small bit of his soul. It does seem to be a fair trade.

Old August 28th, 2012, 3:57 am
Second Year

I always regarded Nagini as an innocent taken advantage of by Voldemort.

I'm a Hufflepuff in a Slytherin World!

snape lives imho
Old September 2nd, 2012, 3:59 am
Second Year

Nagini got power from Voldemort and got food. Thus she did his bidding. Nagini being a horcrux wasn't a bad idea as she could defend herself and was always protected by Voldemort.

I don't know if she hated Voldemort but she seemed satisfied. She was also a part of him therefore probably shared a bond with him like Harry.

Old March 29th, 2013, 3:36 pm
She Who Walks Behind

There's no reason for me to believe that Nagini hated Voldemort in any form. He was a Parselmouth and as someone who was designated to speak with snake, I think that he and Nagini were meant to have a close relationship.

The End of the Dream.
Old March 30th, 2013, 4:23 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Was the relationship between Nagini and Voldemort that of pet/master? I can't see Nagini actually needing an owner as she could feed and defend herself pretty effectively anyway. Is it a reflection of Dumbledore/Fawkes where the 'pet' chooses to have a relationship with the wizard?

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old April 5th, 2013, 5:53 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
1. Did the bit of Voldemort's soul in Nagini make her more human? We've seen that she was able to impersonate a human being - could an ordinary snake have done that even to a parselmouth?
Maybe. Don't think so. Maybe he was able to control her in some way, other than using parselmouth.

Quote:
2. Nagini was Voldemort's pet prior to becoming a horcrux. Do you think she was fond of him? Did she do his bidding willingly?
She might have. Or she might have not. We don't know if she was, since we don't know what she really thought of him. Only Voldemort really knows what she really thought of him, since he could hear what she was saying, via parselmouth.

Quote:
3. We've seen Nagini have a conscious thought process when she tells herself to hold Harry in Godric's Hollow. Is this the result of being a horcrux?
Could very well be.

Quote:
4. Is Nagini ultimately evil? Ultimately innocent? What standards can we hold her to?
Good question. I think she's evil in the sense that she went and did what she did over the years in terms of killing people. But if she was being controlled the whole time by Voldemort, then it's kind of a gray area there. She wouldn't be innnocent per say, but she wouldn't be wholly guilty either.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old September 25th, 2018, 3:36 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Given the reveal in the new Fantastic Beasts trailer, I think this thread is due for a revival! In fact I'd say its place in Legilimency Studies is finally justified beyond any doubt

Old September 26th, 2018, 5:08 am

Found a bit of info about Nagini in this Slate article:

Spoiler: show
Kim (in an interview with Entertainment Weekly) and J.K. Rowling (on Twitter) shed more light on the blink-and-you’ll-miss-it moment: Nagini is a maledictus, a woman who can (for now) shift from human to snake freely, but who will ultimately be trapped in her serpentine form thanks to a matrilineal blood curse. She starts off as a member of a traveling circus and a friend to troubled fugitive Credence Barebone (Ezra Miller). How she gets from Point A to Point Servant of a Magical Fascist is still unclear.

Source: https://slate.com/culture/2018/09/fa...e-milking.html

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; September 27th, 2018 at 1:45 am.
Old September 26th, 2018, 10:53 pm
Snidget of Champions

Substantial backlash already about tone deafness and worse, having one of the few minority characters condemned to a blood curse that eventually leads her to being Voldemort's (a white man) servant. I'm sure more will be revealed, but the FB series and the American wizarding world continue to provoke outrage.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old September 27th, 2018, 1:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
Substantial backlash already about tone deafness and worse, having one of the few minority characters condemned to a blood curse that eventually leads her to being Voldemort's (a white man) servant. I'm sure more will be revealed, but the FB series and the American wizarding world continue to provoke outrage.
Yea I'm not digging that either. So many ways they could have gone about it. So a definite from me there.

Old September 29th, 2018, 8:02 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Found a bit of info about Nagini in this Slate article:

Kim (in an interview with Entertainment Weekly) and J.K. Rowling (on Twitter) shed more light on the blink-and-youíll-miss-it moment: Nagini is a maledictus, a woman who can (for now) shift from human to snake freely, but who will ultimately be trapped in her serpentine form thanks to a matrilineal blood curse. She starts off as a member of a traveling circus and a friend to troubled fugitive Credence Barebone (Ezra Miller). How she gets from Point A to Point Servant of a Magical Fascist is still unclear.

Source: https://slate.com/culture/2018/09/fa...e-milking.html
Perhaps it will come out that Voldemort was the only one she could talk to so she stayed with him? or maybe it will come out that Voldemort promised her some type of cure.

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted
Old September 29th, 2018, 10:07 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I had no idea Nagini could be so sexy.

Old September 30th, 2018, 11:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
Perhaps it will come out that Voldemort was the only one she could talk to so she stayed with him? or maybe it will come out that Voldemort promised her some type of cure.
That's a very good question. Could be either of those.

Old October 3rd, 2018, 11:18 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Given the reveal in the new Fantastic Beasts trailer, I think this thread is due for a revival! [...]
The last time I posted at CoS was May of 2011, and tonight, 7+ years later, I was searching on my CoS username w/Goggle thinking the forum was long gone. I was shocked to find the forum still online AND further shocked that I remembered my password...LOL...it worked.

WOW, it really feels good just to post at CoS again. May the Wandrider Forum Force be with you all to post here again even years from now.

It's totally kool that Nagini had a human form with a beautiful Korean actress. There is WAY TOO MUCH PC Social Engineering and SJW creepiness going on for those that are upset by the casting. Something has gone wickedly wrong with the Muggle world for those that are upset by this.

BUT... don't get me started on The Curse'ed Play... what a complete frack-up -including Hermione... pure SJW in your face PC Social Engineering... I hate "that" being crammed down our throats.

It was kool and "far enough" Social Engineering with Dumbledore being Gay as "a big reveal" after the HP series was completed.

He closed Lily's green eyes and only felt the burning love of all... is well, their shining star.

Dumbledore . . . Personally, I've Never Had Much Time for Heroes

It's not your choices Severus, it's your hair . . . Not! so! A l b u s . . . It's your b e a r d.

SigPic Wizardry done by Kala-Way
Luna Blessings for You & Yours & Everyone!
Old October 8th, 2018, 7:49 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
I would posit a few thoughts to those who are upset about the supposed history of Nagini. This is a fictional work based on characters from fictional books where magic plays a role in use for good or ill. Those who desire power or control use magic to get their way. It's not as though we don't see this throughout the HP series. Right from the start, 2 murders and one attempted on a toddler. Children are tortured in Order of the Phoenix and Deathly Hallows. One could argue that Bellatrix and most of the DE's were controlled to different degrees, the DE's call Voldemort "master" and speak of being in his service -- is it OK because most of them were white? Even when Riddle had his entire soul he was still a psychopath who placed no value on human life, and he became worse as he made horcruxes. We expect evil behavior from him. What makes it different if it turns out he tricked Nagini into a permanent snake form? Why the outrage now?

....I miss David Tennant....
Old November 17th, 2018, 4:41 pm
Curse Breaker

UPDATE: Nagini's situation is addressed in the new Fantastic Beasts movie, and it isn't what some thought.

Old November 29th, 2018, 2:55 am
Zonko's Employee

She seems like such a good person in Fantastic Beasts. She is a good friend and positive support for Credence and even has Dumbledore-level wisdom/advice in telling Credence it's about not being who he was born but how he became. She also seems to have joined the Ministry to help defeat Grindelwald at the end of the movie. It seems almost heartbreakingly tragic now that her destiny is just to become an object, a pet used to harbor a piece of a psychotic tyrant's soul. When Neville slices the head off the snake, he's killing this woman? Or is her soul long gone by that point? I hope so...

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old December 1st, 2018, 9:10 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
She seems like such a good person in Fantastic Beasts. She is a good friend and positive support for Credence and even has Dumbledore-level wisdom/advice in telling Credence it's about not being who he was born but how he became. She also seems to have joined the Ministry to help defeat Grindelwald at the end of the movie. It seems almost heartbreakingly tragic now that her destiny is just to become an object, a pet used to harbor a piece of a psychotic tyrant's soul. When Neville slices the head off the snake, he's killing this woman? Or is her soul long gone by that point? I hope so...
There is still a lot we don't know about Nagini. We only see that she and Credence have formed a bond while she has taken refuge in the circus with other magical misfits. Nagini is afflicted with a blood curse that forces her to eventually remain in snake form. You don't have to be evil to join the dark magic side, as we see Gracie join because she is naive and easily influenced by Grindelwald. Wizards spent years doing Voldemort's bidding under a simple Imperius Curse, yet as they were controlled and were unable to act otherwise we can't assume they are evil. At some point Nagini is stuck in snake form when Voldemort crosses paths with her and likely manipulated her perhaps with the promise that he could cure the blood curse. Or perhaps she no longer remembered that she was once a witch and identifies only as a snake.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Stone > Legilimency Studies