Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Phantom Of The Opera

Old September 14th, 2006, 2:44 am
Fourth Year

Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomofPoker View Post
I love the movie, and I love the stageshow. I like Gerry in the role of Erik, however no one can match Michael Crawford. The point is, this movie rocks.
I have to agree i love the lyrics to the song!!!

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2006, 3:50 pm
First Year

I liked the movie, but, for all those who think GB played a good Phantom, go listen to MC on pretty much any recording. MC grinds GB into the dust...put it this way: They 'trained' GB to play the role while he was shooting another movie. MC they considered because of his phenomenal performance in Barnum, GB because of sex appeal. I don't mean to start a debate here, just saying that MC is a better singer in pretty much every meaning of the phrase. He holds that MOTN note for 14 seconds...GB they had to use digital looping for long notes, for example.

Old September 16th, 2006, 4:58 pm
First Year

I saw it on Broadway first in April, and i was a little underwhelmed by the movie when i saw it in June. in my opinion, you haven't really experienced The Phantom of The Opera until you've seen it on Broadway. no wonder it's the longest running show!

Old September 16th, 2006, 5:34 pm
First Year

I agree Wonder Wombat. However, I think to enjoy GB in the role of the Phantom you have to look at the movie seperately from the Broadway show. I'm not saying ignore the fact that it is different from the show, but not compare them when they are so taken in a different direction where the Phantom is concerned.

However, I do wish that MC had played Erik in the films. It would have been sooooo much better, and much more popular.

"Abandon thought and let the dream descend."

"Close your eyes for your eyes will only tell the truth, and the truth isn't what you want to see. In the dark it is easy to pretend that the truth is what it ought to be.
Old September 16th, 2006, 6:21 pm
Fourth Year

I love love love this movie. Gerald Butler did a fantastic job. I was left rooting for the Phantom at the end. Poor guy just wanted to love and be loved.

Old September 16th, 2006, 8:33 pm
First Year

The thing is that the movie's different from Broadway in only a few aspects. It's still incredibly difficult, too difficult for GB. Erik was never intended to be as...shall we say attractive...as GB made him. He isn't supposed to need tight-fitting Red Death and Don Juan outfits to be attractive. Physically he's ugly. Period. He's supposed to sort of have an aura of sex appeal. Which GB doesn't have and apparantly can't imitate. If you hear MC you can flat out hear that aura. GB all I hear is a smoker's rasp.

Old September 17th, 2006, 12:42 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder_wombat View Post
He's supposed to sort of have an aura of sex appeal. Which GB doesn't have and apparantly can't imitate. If you hear MC you can flat out hear that aura. GB all I hear is a smoker's rasp.
Watch Cradle of Life my friend. Gerald oozes sex appeal. I thought he did a great job in Phantom.

Old September 17th, 2006, 1:42 am
Sixth Year

As do I, Muahahaha. (And I'm also finding that we have a lot of the same tastes in threads!). I think that Gerard Butler did a wonderful job and played his Phantom really well.
I have seen the play twice and I've read the book as well. And so with all 3, all 3 are vrey different. In the play and in the movie, the Phantom is not Erik, he's just the Phantom. He's only Erik in the books. And as I'm sure that us Harry Potter fans can all appreciate, that there's a huge difference between the books and the movies. And in this case, between the play and the movie. And play that is transformed into a movie is always going to be changed a bit to fit the world of film. And if they brought back 70 year old Michael Crawford to play the Phantom opposite a 17 year old girl...well...that would be a bit too creepy and gross! They needed someone young enough so that it wouldn't be that creepy. Yes, Michael Crawford does have a phenominal voice and will always have the heart of Phans everywhere, as well as Sarah Brightman. But I think the for the movie, Gerard makes it shine and I think he's got a vulnerability to his voice that Michael doesn't have.

Old September 17th, 2006, 7:36 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny1976 View Post
As do I, Muahahaha. (And I'm also finding that we have a lot of the same tastes in threads!). I think that Gerard Butler did a wonderful job and played his Phantom really well.
I have seen the play twice and I've read the book as well. And so with all 3, all 3 are vrey different. In the play and in the movie, the Phantom is not Erik, he's just the Phantom. He's only Erik in the books. And as I'm sure that us Harry Potter fans can all appreciate, that there's a huge difference between the books and the movies. And in this case, between the play and the movie. And play that is transformed into a movie is always going to be changed a bit to fit the world of film. And if they brought back 70 year old Michael Crawford to play the Phantom opposite a 17 year old girl...well...that would be a bit too creepy and gross! They needed someone young enough so that it wouldn't be that creepy. Yes, Michael Crawford does have a phenominal voice and will always have the heart of Phans everywhere, as well as Sarah Brightman. But I think the for the movie, Gerard makes it shine and I think he's got a vulnerability to his voice that Michael doesn't have.
Sorry to say but I like Michael.......
Yes it is creepy that he's like 30 and the girl is about 17(can you say Woah)....
But Michael has a great voice.

Question
Gerad or Michael(well see what others like better)

Old September 17th, 2006, 9:57 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard_1 View Post
Question
Gerad or Michael(well see what others like better)
I haven't seen or heard the latter but I read the book, saw the musical in the West End and then, last of all, the movie. I first saw the German synchronisation which was done by a range of very well-trained German singers, the voice of the Phantom was sung by the singer who plays that part in the German musical as well and he is about the most well-known musical star in my country. He's got prizes. Loads of them. And he was still not nearly as good as Gerard Butler. While he was most definetly a better singer he just didn't give him any character. Ergo - being a better singer doesn't necessarily make you a better Phantom (as long as you see him as something more than a good voice behind a mask). And honestly, if Andrew Lloyd Webber plays the piano for your singing audition and you still get the part, what more do you need?
As for the acting, it very much exceeds the play. Of course, you can never have close-ups in a theatre, the audience is sitting a long way away from you and a weekly routine of 8 performances might not enable you to give as much as a film actor can who will only have one single chance to show his interpretation. That of course reduces the likeliness of an audience bursting into tears at the end but even with all these advantages of a movie portrayal I think Gerard was excellent. He managed a great shift from the composed, ingenious, controlling Phantom to a desperate, dishevelled (and strangely blonde) semi-madman. He managed to be mesmerising at the beginning and absolutely pityful in the end.
So, yes, I liked him. His voice isn't trained but he uses it wonderfully to complement his acting. Which, as I said above, puts him above those who can reach the highest notes and hold them the longest but appear to just be reading it off a sheet.
The play mainly lives off the music (as anyone who heard the ouverture in live music will probably agree) but a movie, at the end of the day, is a piece of acting. And if you got the best person for the job, which I think he was, you can overlook a few shortcomings. After all, Erik, in the book, never sung either, so the original story became popular for the plot which was done very well in the movie version.

- Homer Simpson
Old September 17th, 2006, 10:00 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I haven't seen or heard the latter but I read the book, saw the musical in the West End and then, last of all, the movie. I first saw the German synchronisation which was done by a range of very well-trained German singers, the voice of the Phantom was sung by the singer who plays that part in the German musical as well and he is about the most well-known musical star in my country. He's got prizes. Loads of them. And he was still not nearly as good as Gerard Butler. While he was most definetly a better singer he just didn't give him any character. Ergo - being a better singer doesn't necessarily make you a better Phantom (as long as you see him as something more than a good voice behind a mask). And honestly, if Andrew Lloyd Webber plays the piano for your singing audition and you still get the part, what more do you need?
As for the acting, it very much exceeds the play. Of course, you can never have close-ups in a theatre, the audience is sitting a long way away from you and a weekly routine of 8 performances might not enable you to give as much as a film actor can who will only have one single chance to show his interpretation. That of course reduces the likeliness of an audience bursting into tears at the end but even with all these advantages of a movie portrayal I think Gerard was excellent. He managed a great shift from the composed, ingenious, controlling Phantom to a desperate, dishevelled (and strangely blonde) semi-madman. He managed to be mesmerising at the beginning and absolutely pityful in the end.
So, yes, I liked him. His voice isn't trained but he uses it wonderfully to complement his acting. Which, as I said above, puts him above those who can reach the highest notes and hold them the longest but appear to just be reading it off a sheet.
The play mainly lives off the music (as anyone who heard the ouverture in live music will probably agree) but a movie, at the end of the day, is a piece of acting. And if you got the best person for the job, which I think he was, you can overlook a few shortcomings. After all, Erik, in the book, never sung either, so the original story became popular for the plot which was done very well in the movie version.
All that counts in my opinion is the siging and acting and if they enjoy it.....

Old September 19th, 2006, 11:41 pm
First Year

Sorry if I started a debate here. It's just I felt it's sort of necessary to point out to everybody who's fainting at GB's performance that there's something much better out there.

Old September 20th, 2006, 12:09 am
First Year

I have a musical background, so for me, Gerald Butler's voice was so horrible and distracting it helped to ruin the movie.

Emmy Rossum was a little better, but still, there are much better voices out there that can completely flatten her in that role.

The music is good, the best Andrew Lloyd Webber stuff that I can think of off the top of my head, but it's so dang repetitive I can't stand it. It seems like there are about five melodies just repeated over and over again. Lots of musicals do this, but not to the extent that is seen in Phantom. The play is good because the special effects are awesome and totally make up for it, but the magic of the effects, lighting, costumes, etc., are lost when it's put to film.

I can understand why people like the film, but the music and the singers are what I'm valuing it on, and they didn't score too well in my book.

"If I were a death-eater, I would be sure to research my own jam preferences before impersonating myself."
Old September 20th, 2006, 2:00 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubisteinschuh View Post
I have a musical background, so for me, Gerald Butler's voice was so horrible and distracting it helped to ruin the movie.

Emmy Rossum was a little better, but still, there are much better voices out there that can completely flatten her in that role.

The music is good, the best Andrew Lloyd Webber stuff that I can think of off the top of my head, but it's so dang repetitive I can't stand it. It seems like there are about five melodies just repeated over and over again. Lots of musicals do this, but not to the extent that is seen in Phantom. The play is good because the special effects are awesome and totally make up for it, but the magic of the effects, lighting, costumes, etc., are lost when it's put to film.

I can understand why people like the film, but the music and the singers are what I'm valuing it on, and they didn't score too well in my book.
The film was so great!!!

Old October 2nd, 2006, 3:30 pm
Third Year

I love this film my favorite person is Erik!!!

Love Struck and Feedback

Last edited by Jedi_Girl; October 2nd, 2006 at 3:44 pm. Reason: spelling
Old October 2nd, 2006, 3:42 pm
Sixth Year

Ooh! Don't let BuckbeakLupin see you type Erik's name wrong, Jedi Girl! From the book, the Phantom's name is spelled, Erik!

Old October 2nd, 2006, 3:44 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny1976 View Post
Ooh! Don't let BuckbeakLupin see you type Erik's name wrong, Jedi Girl! From the book, the Phantom's name is spelled, Erik!
Sorry you know i should edit that LOL

Love Struck and Feedback
Old October 7th, 2006, 10:40 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Hm, I did listen to Michael Crawford on youtube and thought his voice is a bit...weak, for lack of a better word. It's obvious it's more developed but it doesn't hold as much volume to it, which I think the Phantom should bring across. Perhaps it's because Gerard Butler's singing voice seems deeper but for some reason I didn't think Michael Crawford's Phantom had such a powerful aura to it. Bit disappointing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubisteinschuh View Post

Uhm, I venture to guess from your screen name that you might be German. If I'm right, how did you like Butler's version compared to Uwe Kröger's?

- Homer Simpson
Old October 7th, 2006, 10:54 pm
First Year

the movie is good, the opera is better.

Read Nothing Stays the Same by Bogart!
Old October 7th, 2006, 11:00 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dta View Post
the movie is good, the opera is better.
Yep i enjoyed the singing more than the acting. When i first heard of it i never wanted to see it. Then my freind watched it. I was there and went on the computer. But when Christina started singing I started to watch it

Love Struck and Feedback
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion