Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Phantom Of The Opera



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old September 14th, 2006, 2:44 am
wizard_1  Undisclosed.gif wizard_1 is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4609 days
Posts: 525
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomofPoker View Post
I love the movie, and I love the stageshow. I like Gerry in the role of Erik, however no one can match Michael Crawford. The point is, this movie rocks.
I have to agree i love the lyrics to the song!!!


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #22  
Old September 16th, 2006, 3:50 pm
wonder_wombat  Female.gif wonder_wombat is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4572 days
Location: The Paris Opera House sewer.
Posts: 3
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

I liked the movie, but, for all those who think GB played a good Phantom, go listen to MC on pretty much any recording. MC grinds GB into the dust...put it this way: They 'trained' GB to play the role while he was shooting another movie. MC they considered because of his phenomenal performance in Barnum, GB because of sex appeal. I don't mean to start a debate here, just saying that MC is a better singer in pretty much every meaning of the phrase. He holds that MOTN note for 14 seconds...GB they had to use digital looping for long notes, for example.


Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old September 16th, 2006, 4:58 pm
brocadivide  Undisclosed.gif brocadivide is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4953 days
Posts: 21
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

I saw it on Broadway first in April, and i was a little underwhelmed by the movie when i saw it in June. in my opinion, you haven't really experienced The Phantom of The Opera until you've seen it on Broadway. no wonder it's the longest running show!


Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old September 16th, 2006, 5:34 pm
PhantomofPoker  Female.gif PhantomofPoker is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4707 days
Location: Iowa
Age: 31
Posts: 10
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

I agree Wonder Wombat. However, I think to enjoy GB in the role of the Phantom you have to look at the movie seperately from the Broadway show. I'm not saying ignore the fact that it is different from the show, but not compare them when they are so taken in a different direction where the Phantom is concerned.

However, I do wish that MC had played Erik in the films. It would have been sooooo much better, and much more popular.


__________________
"I TRUST SEVERUS SNAPE COMPLETELY."


"Abandon thought and let the dream descend."

"Close your eyes for your eyes will only tell the truth, and the truth isn't what you want to see. In the dark it is easy to pretend that the truth is what it ought to be.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old September 16th, 2006, 6:21 pm
Muahahaha  Female.gif Muahahaha is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4691 days
Location: Canada
Posts: 599
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

I love love love this movie. Gerald Butler did a fantastic job. I was left rooting for the Phantom at the end. Poor guy just wanted to love and be loved.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old September 16th, 2006, 8:33 pm
wonder_wombat  Female.gif wonder_wombat is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4572 days
Location: The Paris Opera House sewer.
Posts: 3
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

The thing is that the movie's different from Broadway in only a few aspects. It's still incredibly difficult, too difficult for GB. Erik was never intended to be as...shall we say attractive...as GB made him. He isn't supposed to need tight-fitting Red Death and Don Juan outfits to be attractive. Physically he's ugly. Period. He's supposed to sort of have an aura of sex appeal. Which GB doesn't have and apparantly can't imitate. If you hear MC you can flat out hear that aura. GB all I hear is a smoker's rasp.


Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old September 17th, 2006, 12:42 am
Muahahaha  Female.gif Muahahaha is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4691 days
Location: Canada
Posts: 599
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder_wombat View Post
He's supposed to sort of have an aura of sex appeal. Which GB doesn't have and apparantly can't imitate. If you hear MC you can flat out hear that aura. GB all I hear is a smoker's rasp.
Watch Cradle of Life my friend. Gerald oozes sex appeal. I thought he did a great job in Phantom.


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old September 17th, 2006, 1:42 am
Ginny1976's Avatar
Ginny1976  Female.gif Ginny1976 is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5338 days
Location: Missouri
Age: 43
Posts: 1,217
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

As do I, Muahahaha. (And I'm also finding that we have a lot of the same tastes in threads!). I think that Gerard Butler did a wonderful job and played his Phantom really well.
I have seen the play twice and I've read the book as well. And so with all 3, all 3 are vrey different. In the play and in the movie, the Phantom is not Erik, he's just the Phantom. He's only Erik in the books. And as I'm sure that us Harry Potter fans can all appreciate, that there's a huge difference between the books and the movies. And in this case, between the play and the movie. And play that is transformed into a movie is always going to be changed a bit to fit the world of film. And if they brought back 70 year old Michael Crawford to play the Phantom opposite a 17 year old girl...well...that would be a bit too creepy and gross! They needed someone young enough so that it wouldn't be that creepy. Yes, Michael Crawford does have a phenominal voice and will always have the heart of Phans everywhere, as well as Sarah Brightman. But I think the for the movie, Gerard makes it shine and I think he's got a vulnerability to his voice that Michael doesn't have.


Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old September 17th, 2006, 7:36 pm
wizard_1  Undisclosed.gif wizard_1 is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4609 days
Posts: 525
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny1976 View Post
As do I, Muahahaha. (And I'm also finding that we have a lot of the same tastes in threads!). I think that Gerard Butler did a wonderful job and played his Phantom really well.
I have seen the play twice and I've read the book as well. And so with all 3, all 3 are vrey different. In the play and in the movie, the Phantom is not Erik, he's just the Phantom. He's only Erik in the books. And as I'm sure that us Harry Potter fans can all appreciate, that there's a huge difference between the books and the movies. And in this case, between the play and the movie. And play that is transformed into a movie is always going to be changed a bit to fit the world of film. And if they brought back 70 year old Michael Crawford to play the Phantom opposite a 17 year old girl...well...that would be a bit too creepy and gross! They needed someone young enough so that it wouldn't be that creepy. Yes, Michael Crawford does have a phenominal voice and will always have the heart of Phans everywhere, as well as Sarah Brightman. But I think the for the movie, Gerard makes it shine and I think he's got a vulnerability to his voice that Michael doesn't have.
Sorry to say but I like Michael.......
Yes it is creepy that he's like 30 and the girl is about 17(can you say Woah)....
But Michael has a great voice.

Question
Gerad or Michael(well see what others like better)


Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old September 17th, 2006, 9:57 pm
Romy's Avatar
Romy  Female.gif Romy is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5410 days
Location: The middle of Europe
Age: 35
Posts: 2,432
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard_1 View Post
Question
Gerad or Michael(well see what others like better)
I haven't seen or heard the latter but I read the book, saw the musical in the West End and then, last of all, the movie. I first saw the German synchronisation which was done by a range of very well-trained German singers, the voice of the Phantom was sung by the singer who plays that part in the German musical as well and he is about the most well-known musical star in my country. He's got prizes. Loads of them. And he was still not nearly as good as Gerard Butler. While he was most definetly a better singer he just didn't give him any character. Ergo - being a better singer doesn't necessarily make you a better Phantom (as long as you see him as something more than a good voice behind a mask). And honestly, if Andrew Lloyd Webber plays the piano for your singing audition and you still get the part, what more do you need?
As for the acting, it very much exceeds the play. Of course, you can never have close-ups in a theatre, the audience is sitting a long way away from you and a weekly routine of 8 performances might not enable you to give as much as a film actor can who will only have one single chance to show his interpretation. That of course reduces the likeliness of an audience bursting into tears at the end but even with all these advantages of a movie portrayal I think Gerard was excellent. He managed a great shift from the composed, ingenious, controlling Phantom to a desperate, dishevelled (and strangely blonde) semi-madman. He managed to be mesmerising at the beginning and absolutely pityful in the end.
So, yes, I liked him. His voice isn't trained but he uses it wonderfully to complement his acting. Which, as I said above, puts him above those who can reach the highest notes and hold them the longest but appear to just be reading it off a sheet.
The play mainly lives off the music (as anyone who heard the ouverture in live music will probably agree) but a movie, at the end of the day, is a piece of acting. And if you got the best person for the job, which I think he was, you can overlook a few shortcomings. After all, Erik, in the book, never sung either, so the original story became popular for the plot which was done very well in the movie version.


__________________
"Marge, is Lisa at Camp Granada?"

- Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old September 17th, 2006, 10:00 pm
wizard_1  Undisclosed.gif wizard_1 is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4609 days
Posts: 525
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I haven't seen or heard the latter but I read the book, saw the musical in the West End and then, last of all, the movie. I first saw the German synchronisation which was done by a range of very well-trained German singers, the voice of the Phantom was sung by the singer who plays that part in the German musical as well and he is about the most well-known musical star in my country. He's got prizes. Loads of them. And he was still not nearly as good as Gerard Butler. While he was most definetly a better singer he just didn't give him any character. Ergo - being a better singer doesn't necessarily make you a better Phantom (as long as you see him as something more than a good voice behind a mask). And honestly, if Andrew Lloyd Webber plays the piano for your singing audition and you still get the part, what more do you need?
As for the acting, it very much exceeds the play. Of course, you can never have close-ups in a theatre, the audience is sitting a long way away from you and a weekly routine of 8 performances might not enable you to give as much as a film actor can who will only have one single chance to show his interpretation. That of course reduces the likeliness of an audience bursting into tears at the end but even with all these advantages of a movie portrayal I think Gerard was excellent. He managed a great shift from the composed, ingenious, controlling Phantom to a desperate, dishevelled (and strangely blonde) semi-madman. He managed to be mesmerising at the beginning and absolutely pityful in the end.
So, yes, I liked him. His voice isn't trained but he uses it wonderfully to complement his acting. Which, as I said above, puts him above those who can reach the highest notes and hold them the longest but appear to just be reading it off a sheet.
The play mainly lives off the music (as anyone who heard the ouverture in live music will probably agree) but a movie, at the end of the day, is a piece of acting. And if you got the best person for the job, which I think he was, you can overlook a few shortcomings. After all, Erik, in the book, never sung either, so the original story became popular for the plot which was done very well in the movie version.
All that counts in my opinion is the siging and acting and if they enjoy it.....


Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old September 19th, 2006, 11:41 pm
wonder_wombat  Female.gif wonder_wombat is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4572 days
Location: The Paris Opera House sewer.
Posts: 3
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

Sorry if I started a debate here. It's just I felt it's sort of necessary to point out to everybody who's fainting at GB's performance that there's something much better out there.


Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old September 20th, 2006, 12:09 am
dubisteinschuh  Female.gif dubisteinschuh is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4566 days
Location: Right behind you.
Posts: 48
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

I have a musical background, so for me, Gerald Butler's voice was so horrible and distracting it helped to ruin the movie.

Emmy Rossum was a little better, but still, there are much better voices out there that can completely flatten her in that role.

The music is good, the best Andrew Lloyd Webber stuff that I can think of off the top of my head, but it's so dang repetitive I can't stand it. It seems like there are about five melodies just repeated over and over again. Lots of musicals do this, but not to the extent that is seen in Phantom. The play is good because the special effects are awesome and totally make up for it, but the magic of the effects, lighting, costumes, etc., are lost when it's put to film.

I can understand why people like the film, but the music and the singers are what I'm valuing it on, and they didn't score too well in my book.


__________________
Harry Potter is my anti-drug.

"If I were a death-eater, I would be sure to research my own jam preferences before impersonating myself."
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old September 20th, 2006, 2:00 am
wizard_1  Undisclosed.gif wizard_1 is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4609 days
Posts: 525
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubisteinschuh View Post
I have a musical background, so for me, Gerald Butler's voice was so horrible and distracting it helped to ruin the movie.

Emmy Rossum was a little better, but still, there are much better voices out there that can completely flatten her in that role.

The music is good, the best Andrew Lloyd Webber stuff that I can think of off the top of my head, but it's so dang repetitive I can't stand it. It seems like there are about five melodies just repeated over and over again. Lots of musicals do this, but not to the extent that is seen in Phantom. The play is good because the special effects are awesome and totally make up for it, but the magic of the effects, lighting, costumes, etc., are lost when it's put to film.

I can understand why people like the film, but the music and the singers are what I'm valuing it on, and they didn't score too well in my book.
The film was so great!!!


Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old October 2nd, 2006, 3:30 pm
Jedi_Girl  Female.gif Jedi_Girl is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4555 days
Location: California
Posts: 442
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

I love this film my favorite person is Erik!!!


__________________

Love Struck and Feedback

Last edited by Jedi_Girl; October 2nd, 2006 at 3:44 pm. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old October 2nd, 2006, 3:42 pm
Ginny1976's Avatar
Ginny1976  Female.gif Ginny1976 is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5338 days
Location: Missouri
Age: 43
Posts: 1,217
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

Ooh! Don't let BuckbeakLupin see you type Erik's name wrong, Jedi Girl! From the book, the Phantom's name is spelled, Erik!


Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old October 2nd, 2006, 3:44 pm
Jedi_Girl  Female.gif Jedi_Girl is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4555 days
Location: California
Posts: 442
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny1976 View Post
Ooh! Don't let BuckbeakLupin see you type Erik's name wrong, Jedi Girl! From the book, the Phantom's name is spelled, Erik!
Sorry you know i should edit that LOL


__________________

Love Struck and Feedback
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old October 7th, 2006, 10:40 pm
Romy's Avatar
Romy  Female.gif Romy is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5410 days
Location: The middle of Europe
Age: 35
Posts: 2,432
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

Hm, I did listen to Michael Crawford on youtube and thought his voice is a bit...weak, for lack of a better word. It's obvious it's more developed but it doesn't hold as much volume to it, which I think the Phantom should bring across. Perhaps it's because Gerard Butler's singing voice seems deeper but for some reason I didn't think Michael Crawford's Phantom had such a powerful aura to it. Bit disappointing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by dubisteinschuh View Post
I have a musical background, so for me, Gerald Butler's voice was so horrible and distracting it helped to ruin the movie.

Emmy Rossum was a little better, but still, there are much better voices out there that can completely flatten her in that role.

The music is good, the best Andrew Lloyd Webber stuff that I can think of off the top of my head, but it's so dang repetitive I can't stand it. It seems like there are about five melodies just repeated over and over again. Lots of musicals do this, but not to the extent that is seen in Phantom. The play is good because the special effects are awesome and totally make up for it, but the magic of the effects, lighting, costumes, etc., are lost when it's put to film.

I can understand why people like the film, but the music and the singers are what I'm valuing it on, and they didn't score too well in my book.
Uhm, I venture to guess from your screen name that you might be German. If I'm right, how did you like Butler's version compared to Uwe Kröger's?


__________________
"Marge, is Lisa at Camp Granada?"

- Homer Simpson
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old October 7th, 2006, 10:54 pm
dta  Female.gif dta is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4603 days
Posts: 26
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

the movie is good, the opera is better.


__________________
Proud member of IBP
Sailing aboard the HMS Arts & Crafts & the S.S. Strawberries & Cream!

Read Nothing Stays the Same by Bogart!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old October 7th, 2006, 11:00 pm
Jedi_Girl  Female.gif Jedi_Girl is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4555 days
Location: California
Posts: 442
Re: Phantom Of The Opera The Movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dta View Post
the movie is good, the opera is better.
Yep i enjoyed the singing more than the acting. When i first heard of it i never wanted to see it. Then my freind watched it. I was there and went on the computer. But when Christina started singing I started to watch it


__________________

Love Struck and Feedback
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 2:27 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.