Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

The Clone Wars - the Movie

Old August 17th, 2008, 7:03 am
Fourth Year

Re: The Clone Wars - the Movie

Quote:
And it is Lucas' fault that any of these points were missed because of the way he presented them.
Haha. I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
However, the whole point was to build Anakin's character up, qualified by his momentary ventures into the dark side - in order to show his potential and achievements as a Jedi Knight and the depth of his fall to the dark side. I think most people kind of caught that idea, even if they missed the fine points. The thing is, they truly didn't understand it to the degree GL wanted - which he says is one of the reasons he was very interested in doing the Clone Wars. He really wanted people to understand what Anakin was and if they watch ROTS again, it will have an even greater impact.
Shouldn't ROTS be able to tell ROTS's story? Granted, Lucas is fairly incompetent as a director, but still. Didn't anyone tell him somewhere along the line, "Hey, George, maybe you should reconsider this, these movies are turning out awful"?

Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2008, 7:30 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwickedboy View Post
At SW forums, the majority of the members are adults and I've yet to hear a single member (nearly 400,000 at the site) indicate they are not eager to see the show, for various reasons and despite their mixed expectations.
Hardly a unbiased selection.

I loved the first three movies and even enjoyed the second three but I'm mightily tired of having both my intelligence and wallet insulted by Lucas's progressively declining (in quality at least) output.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 17th, 2008, 9:44 am
Fourth Year

Regardless of whether or not The Clone Wars is good, I hope this is the last time they so blatantly milk the franchise. Novels? Okay. Video games? Sure. But extra movies...that's going a little far. The saga is complete.

I mean, unless they want to retcon the prequels from existence and replace them with good movies. I'd be all for that.

Old August 17th, 2008, 11:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfRebirth View Post
The saga is complete.
Which was old George's argument for making I-III. When they were done, he said, the Skywalker saga was told.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old August 18th, 2008, 11:15 pm
Sixth Year

Has anyone on here actually seen the film? I love star wars but the reviews have really been awful- far worse than I'm used to even for star wars. EW gave it an F. I was really hoping for another live action film. I did like the clone wars cartoons- not for the animation ( which I thought was awful- sorry for those who loved it) but the story was good- it introduced general grievous, we got to see the other jedi fighting the separatists on other worlds, etc. It made that montage in ROTS of the jedi getting killed by their own soldiers that much more moving for me because of the cartoon.

I'm still 50/50 about seeing this animated film- mainly because I feel like the story is already complete. Aside from adding more adventures in the clone wars I can't imagine how it will enrich the story any further. I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Old August 19th, 2008, 2:22 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Has anyone on here actually seen the film? I love star wars but the reviews have really been awful- far worse than I'm used to even for star wars. EW gave it an F. I was really hoping for another live action film. I did like the clone wars cartoons- not for the animation ( which I thought was awful- sorry for those who loved it) but the story was good- it introduced general grievous, we got to see the other jedi fighting the separatists on other worlds, etc. It made that montage in ROTS of the jedi getting killed by their own soldiers that much more moving for me because of the cartoon.

I'm still 50/50 about seeing this animated film- mainly because I feel like the story is already complete. Aside from adding more adventures in the clone wars I can't imagine how it will enrich the story any further. I guess I'll have to wait and see.
I can't figure out whether I want to see this thing or not. For a TV show it had looked fantastic. For a movie it looks pretty lackluster.

Old August 19th, 2008, 12:04 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix88 View Post
Has anyone on here actually seen the film?
I'm going to try for this weekend.

I've read some of what y'all are saying, and you have really low expectations of this film. I'm sure your criticisms are valid and I'll probably be disappointed, too.

That being said, I'm going to the movie for my 10 year old. I finally got him to watch the first three (original) movies several months ago. He was so excited, I got him all six DVD's for his birthday, and now he's excited about this new movie. I think he'll love it.

Old August 19th, 2008, 2:44 pm
I want to believe

I do think this movie will appeal to children much more than adults, especially young boys (though my 9 year old cousin has expressed his skepticism as to the quality of the movie based on the trailer). I think it's possible this movie could serve to get a younger audience interested in Star Wars, so that they'll get into the fandom and want to see the "real" Star Wars movies.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old August 19th, 2008, 9:18 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
I think it's possible this movie could serve to get a younger audience interested in Star Wars, so that they'll get into the fandom and want to see the "real" Star Wars movies.
Isn't that what the horrendous prequel trilogy was for?

Old August 20th, 2008, 6:15 pm
Hogsmeade's Worst Icon Maker

I saw the movie this past weekend and it is as bad as the reviews that I have read say. A lot of the dialog seems to have been written by a child. Also, to me, the new padawan character just didn't fit in.
Spoiler: show
I didn't like the idea of a padawan for Anakin because I just couldn't see Yoda approving something like that. I also found her too oblivious to the war and hardships that were going on around her.

And I couldn't stand the way Jabba's uncle talked, although it was less annoying than Jar Jar Binks.

The animation itself was alright and the story, though simple, wasn't bad. This is just not a movie I will see again.

Old August 21st, 2008, 5:40 am
Lycanthrope

Well I was trying to not speak about the movie itself because so many people haven't seen it. I saw the midnight opening and of course I dug it alot. I thought it was wicked. But you know, I am totally the wrong person to ask cuz I am admittedly a fanatic. I'll give the low down on what I have heard criticised in the spoiler - but I won't spoil the movie by talking about what happened:

Spoiler: show
First, Ahsoka is said to be obnoxious to the point where you want to slap her. Lie. She was great and perfect as a Padawan for Anakin. They say the effects are too Television - well I suppose that could be true, but I am not horribly picky on that front when it comes to seeing more Star Wars tales and they are not god awful by any means. If you dig CGI, then you will be fine with it for what it is. If you can only stand watching movies of the highest tech, then you lose on this one. The dialogue is funny - in parts and in MANY parts and VERY funny if you are a die hard fan because George gives nods to the EU, while staying totally true to the Saga. We do not have "all new" characters by any means - it is the same Obi-Ani-Yoda-Mace, etc. we had before. All PERFECTLY in character and that is beautiful man because the EU has ruined it for many of us. Lots of kick battle action, much more than shown in the previews, so the rumor that there was little battle is a complete lie. The storyline is very simple, but if you keep in mind it is the start of a TV series it rocks. The new characters are not horrible as described (Zero the Hutt, etc.) they are actually very Star Wars and cool. Zero's voice wasn't like Jabba's, but then again, do we want a duplicate character? It simply wasn't any big deal. They say it is a disaster - far from it, I loved every minute, plus it totally left me wanting more. Again, I am a diehard fan, so keep that in mind. . The sound is great, the music, although remixed in parts is awesome because we do get the original score in wicked moments and it just works out totally awesome. What I guess I love the most is that it remained totally loyal to SW - and kept the vision going. I am looking forward to the series - can't wait!

Anyway, in the spoiler tags I haven't told any of the story line, just talked about why I feel all the rumors are wrong. For me it was highly entertaining, true to Star Wars and left me excited about the series to come. But I loved all 6 movies equally and fervently disagree with everyone who hated the prequels, which I felt rocked from beginning to end. Sure, Jar Jar was annoying, but you know, so were the Ewoks - that is just Star Wars, so deal or don't. Go George!

Last edited by wickedwickedboy; August 21st, 2008 at 5:45 am.
Old August 21st, 2008, 3:34 pm

Watching a making of special. The animation is just so butt ugly.

Old August 24th, 2008, 6:15 pm
Fifth Year

I wasn't excited about this movie at all, and think the prequels are mediocre, but I decided to see this out of sheer curiosity.

Awful. Just really, really awful.

At several points in the movie, I expected the words "Level complete" to flash up on screen. The characters look so wooden, emotionless, and downright creepy. The action scenes were just endless upon endless scenes of clones fighting against droids, laser fire going back and forth, over and over again. C'mon, we've seen this **** before. No establishing shots, no idea of the battleground, just a bunch of shapes shooting at each other, ad nauseum. Even kids would lose patience. There's no dramatic tension, no one cares what happens to the clones or the droids. Oh, and what's with the offensive gay stereotype of Ziro the Hutt?

The character development is accomplished by the introduction of Ashoka, who serves as a little sister figure for Anakin. Though most of the character development was just boring bickering with the occasional kind moment. And what a totally obnoxious character! Ashoka is always making lame jokes and being so smug about it too. My only solace was knowing that Anakin most likely beheaded her along with the other younglings in Revenge of the Sith.

Afterwards, I needed to rinse my eyes out with a viewing of The Empire Strikes Back.

Old August 25th, 2008, 8:09 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGrindelwald View Post
I wasn't excited about this movie at all, and think the prequels are mediocre, but I decided to see this out of sheer curiosity.

Awful. Just really, really awful.

At several points in the movie, I expected the words "Level complete" to flash up on screen. The characters look so wooden, emotionless, and downright creepy. The action scenes were just endless upon endless scenes of clones fighting against droids, laser fire going back and forth, over and over again. C'mon, we've seen this **** before. No establishing shots, no idea of the battleground, just a bunch of shapes shooting at each other, ad nauseum. Even kids would lose patience. There's no dramatic tension, no one cares what happens to the clones or the droids. Oh, and what's with the offensive gay stereotype of Ziro the Hutt?

The character development is accomplished by the introduction of Ashoka, who serves as a little sister figure for Anakin. Though most of the character development was just boring bickering with the occasional kind moment. And what a totally obnoxious character! Ashoka is always making lame jokes and being so smug about it too. My only solace was knowing that Anakin most likely beheaded her along with the other younglings in Revenge of the Sith.

Afterwards, I needed to rinse my eyes out with a viewing of The Empire Strikes Back.

Wow, that bad huh? I am a star wars fan but shied away initially because the reviews were so awful. I was trying to decide yesterday between this and tropic thunder. I am not sure what would have been better. I ended up with tropic thunder which was pretty bad but I suppose would entertain ben stiller fans sufficiently.

Old August 25th, 2008, 8:18 pm
Banned

The only Star Wars films I can tolerate are ANH and ESB. The rest suck horribly, especially the prequels. It is because of this that I will never watch anything new from the Star Wars franchise. It needs to die, just like the Stargate franchise needs to.

Edit: The poor animation is also another reason that why I won't see this film.

Edit #2: I just want to let it be known that I am not trying to troll. I just don't like the prequel films and ROTJ.

Last edited by NumberEight; August 26th, 2008 at 12:35 am.
Old August 26th, 2008, 12:29 am
Lycanthrope

It can die for you if you don't go see anything else. But I don't wish it to die, I loved the Clone Wars and all of the movies.

Old August 26th, 2008, 8:19 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
My only solace was knowing that Anakin most likely beheaded her along with the other younglings in Revenge of the Sith.
Ouch. That's harsh.

Quote:
At several points in the movie, I expected the words "Level complete" to flash up on screen.
Come on, now, that's not being fair to video games.

Old August 27th, 2008, 4:58 am
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfRebirth View Post
Come on, now, that's not being fair to video games.
Whaddaya mean, you haven't played Call of Duty 4?

Old August 27th, 2008, 7:10 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Whaddaya mean, you haven't played Call of Duty 4?
I was more responding to this, I guess:

Quote:
The characters look so wooden, emotionless, and downright creepy. The action scenes were just endless upon endless scenes of clones fighting against droids, laser fire going back and forth, over and over again.
Saying the movie is like a game because it's mindless isn't really fair to games. These days games aren't mindless...quite a few of them have more substance than these mediocre summer blockbuster films. Eh?

And in half-hearted defense of this movie's admittedly sub-standard animation: maybe Pixar has spoiled us all rotten. Not every CGI movie is going to be The Incredibles, as much as I hate to admit it.

Old August 28th, 2008, 2:12 am
Registered Animagus

My Review:

Absolutely great movie! Better than I thought!

Ashoka is my new favorite Star Wars Character! I just love her.

The funniest bits were the droids! I loved it. Comic genius with some of their dialogue!

This is definitely a rewatch and a must see. 10/10 and 5 Stars!