Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Iron Man

Old June 1st, 2008, 5:59 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Iron Man

I loved it It was super hero movie for the thinking person and Robert Downey Jr= genius of the highest order I am a long time fan of Robert and to finally see him have a legitimate hit is gratifying

The best-looking, most rebellious, most dangerous of the four marauders...
Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2008, 9:18 pm
MODLY CREW

I didn't think it was slow at all. Compared to Batman in Batman Begins, Tony Stark started hammering that suit rather quickly.

Old June 2nd, 2008, 4:24 pm
Curse Breaker

We're all going to have differing opinions--by and large we accept the pace in Batman Begins because it's about what drove Bruce Wayne to don the mask and his experimentatioin and early failures--rather like Spider-Man is about Peter Parker first getting his abilities, learning to use them, and learning their cost. And Bruce Wayne has a very rich history. Stark is a new figure to most moviegoesrs--so his origin story is either interesting because it's new--okay because the twist at the end of the escape is telegraphed and semaphored--or boring because the action doesn't pick up until after he gets back in the world. I was sort of split between options one and two.

Spider-Man was a true pheonomenon, but it had its problems--mostly villain problems, but they tried to make the character of MJ Watson go through too many transformations in the last three minutes of the film. I mean, you could tell they were heading there, but even with the foreshadowing, it was like trying to watch two seasons of L&C occur in 90 seconds at Osborn funeral. As much as I truly love Kirsten Dunst, she didn't succeed in pulling all that together--but, every time I watch, she gets closer to success.

No worries. No spoilers here.

Last edited by jordmundt6; July 10th, 2008 at 6:12 am.
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:49 pm
Sixth Year

It was certainly an entertaining film, that's for sure. Downey Jr was very good as Stark. The plot was pretty rickety, however, and you did have an awful lot of disbelief to suspend, but that's to be expected of the genre. The one thing which I disliked was its reinforcement of the gung-ho American mindset. To illustrate: Stark announces that he is going to halt weapons production after realising that his weapons are killing, wait for it, not Afghans, but American soldiers! That irked me.

I'm no superman.
grarpirates
flickr
Old July 7th, 2008, 5:48 am
First Year

I protested against seeing the movie, but when I went and saw it I feel in love with it. It was remarkable! The directing was good, the casting was very nice, and the story flowed along very nicely. Robert Downey Jr. was funny as anything and was very hott! It was so amazing that I saw it a second time. I can't wait to see the rest. I liked how it was put into modern times, by him being in Afghanastan, etc.

Old July 7th, 2008, 6:50 am
Seventh Year

I was very satisfied with Iron Man; I think it's the strongest Marvel movie since Spider-Man 2 ('though I'm not sure that's saying much). I was definitely impressed with Jon Favreau's direction here - he caught a great balance between action, character interplay, and down-to-earth humor, captured the right tone - but the real revelation here is Robert Downey Jr., who owns the role of Tony Stark now the way Michael Keaton owned Batman after that first film, or Hugh Jackman owned Wolverine after X-Men, or Christopher Reeve owned Superman after that film. I just can't picture anyone else having played the part.

The rest of the cast deserves their credit too, though. It's great to see Gwyneth Paltrow do something like this; she's clearly having a great time, and she and Downey have a nice spark together. Jeff Bridges was a good menacing rival, and Terrence Howard was solid in a part that looks like it'll be much-expanded in the sequel.

I know very little about the comic book, but I look forward to Iron Man II...and to The Avengers!

Also, if anyone here hasn't seen the film yet but wants to or has but didn't do this, stay through the end of the credits.)

Old July 7th, 2008, 3:44 pm
Fifth Year

yeah I missed after the credits.

I was with mom and she tends not to.

Fan Fic
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114430

Feedback
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114436
Old July 10th, 2008, 4:13 am
First Year

My brother and I stayed through the end of the credits and did not quite get what the little video was about, my brother said it was probably for the next Iron Man movie, but yeah I didn't quite know what it was about.

I Sirius Black.
Old July 30th, 2008, 7:43 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Everyone was saying it was really good. I looked forward to it. My aunt bought it, and I watched it. It turned out pretty good. I was most impressed.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....

Last edited by Moriath; July 30th, 2008 at 7:54 pm. Reason: CoS does not condone illegal activities
Old July 30th, 2008, 8:57 pm
Fifth Year

it's out on DVD?

Fan Fic

Feedback
Old July 31st, 2008, 3:25 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter_fan View Post
it's out on DVD?

No, I believe its still in theatres. I forgot to mention that she bought it illegally, there was a little store that had all the new movies. They got busted though.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old July 31st, 2008, 4:37 am
Fifth Year

I See

Fan Fic

Feedback
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion