Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion

Movie: Neil Gaiman's Stardust

Old August 11th, 2007, 8:59 pm
Banned

Movie: Neil Gaiman's Stardust

I basically want to see this film very much. Too bad that it probably won't arrive in theatres here for a while (or at all) but it is opening this weekend and therefore some other people should share their experiences.

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2007, 4:03 pm
First Year

Re: Movie: Neil Gaiman's Stardust

I saw it and have read the book twice before seeing it! Go on thinking it as a film and not a page to page adaptation. As a movie, I really enjoyed it!

Old August 12th, 2007, 4:12 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

It's still not yet released here but as Gaiman is the best fantasy writer of the current era it should be well worth a look.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 12th, 2007, 4:30 pm
First Year

I totally agree with that!

Old August 13th, 2007, 3:49 am
First Year

I saw it on Friday, but I have not read the book. I went in thinking it would be alright, but since the marketing was poor thought it might be lacking. Maybe a fun movie to watch, but nothing to write home about. Honestly, I thought it was one of the best movies I've seen this year. I was so excited to see this movie again after I left. I don't know how close this movie is to the book and I don't care. It can stand on it's own.

<3.
Old August 13th, 2007, 4:03 am
Third Year

I've not read the book, but thouroughky enjoyed the movie. For me, it's a keeper. I wouldn't mind seeing it again. I'm now trying to put my hands on a copy of the book.

Member of the Insane Becky Posse (IBP) and the Gator Fan Club

Old August 17th, 2007, 1:57 pm
Second Year

the movie was GREAT, it was sooooooooooo cute!!! it is def. a getaway movie, no the best, but certainly a great summer movie!!!

Old August 17th, 2007, 6:39 pm
Fourth Year

I haven't read the book, but I loved the movie. I intend to read the book as soon as possible...

Old August 19th, 2007, 12:32 pm
First Year

I haven't read the book, but after seeing the movie, I intend to. Was pretty good. At first, I didn't think it was worth a look. It was like, "Oh no, one of those movies that comes in right after Harry Potter so they can bank in on the whole fantasy franchise." Actually, good. Not the best movie I've seen this year, but worth a look-see, methinks.

Old August 19th, 2007, 4:38 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
It's still not yet released here but as Gaiman is the best fantasy writer of the current era it should be well worth a look.
Apparently Caroline is being directed by the person who directed The Nightmare Before Christmas as well with a future adaption of Nevermore. Of course Death and the High cost of Living has always been up in the air for a while.

Old August 19th, 2007, 11:08 pm
MODLY CREW

I'm really keen on seeing it. I loved the book and the cast looks promising. The trailer wasn't half-bad, either.

Old August 20th, 2007, 12:33 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinMayflower View Post
Apparently Caroline is being directed by the person who directed The Nightmare Before Christmas as well with a future adaption of Nevermore. Of course Death and the High cost of Living has always been up in the air for a while.
Didn't Tim Burton direct that?....

I was going to see this yesterday[we ended up not seeing a movie at all though....we had decide on The simpsons movie]..but my mom thought it might be a bit...."ify"....after reading some of your post though...I am not sure anymore...maybe I will see it once it comes out on DVD...maybe I will just find the book for now and read that....

Old August 20th, 2007, 1:21 am
Fourth Year

I haven't read the book, but I can't wait to see the movie! It looks awesome and it looks like everything that is #1 now mixed together, and it's completely original, as it looks, I can't wait to see it!

Please check out my non-Harry Potter story Elmandoroth Chapter Two is finished.

Old August 20th, 2007, 2:06 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinMayflower View Post
I sincerely hope that none of The Sandman stuff makes it too the screen which is pretty near perfect as are his novels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathplce4myhed
Didn't Tim Burton direct that?....
Despite the full title having the auteur-style Tim Burton's... which generally names the director Tim Burton co-wrote, but didn't direct Nightmare.

IMDb

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless

Last edited by Wab; August 20th, 2007 at 2:11 am.
Old August 21st, 2007, 6:40 pm
Second Year

I can't really explain why, but this movie really touched me. When I first left the threatre it was already third on my very short list of all-time-favourite movies...

By the time I went to bed, it had jumped past Serenity to take spot #2...

And now I'm wrestling with the difficult decision whether or not it has the power to topple my favourite movie since I was 4, The Princess Bride...I didn't think any movie would ever come close...

Only time will tell

Yvaine: "What do stars do?"
Old August 24th, 2007, 7:12 am
Banned

darI saw it and I can't but help feel a bit disappointed. It's a great film, but a lot of the characters seem pretty empty and unspecial with the exception of DeNiro. It's just that some other characters could have been fleshed out in a better sense.

The editing was choppy at best, chase scene here, one character seen running off to get our damsel there etc. etc. While it's loads more original that some of the sequelitis we've seen all year, there's a real lack of anything special to some of the sets and locales. IMHO a lot of times it's trying to capture the scenary of LOTR but fails greatly and kinda of looks less fantasy and more commonplace. The parts where you actually see locales like the cities and the towns are great, but I wish there was more of that.

With that said, the music is a bit overbearing but awesome at the same time. The story is touching but real lacking Gaiman's wordcraft. It's almost Gaiman-lite and while I've never read Stardust, I'm fearing that the book might be reflected in that way as well. In comparison to the other film he wrote the screenplay for Mirrormask, it could have been so much more weirder and Gaiman-like but it isn't. Nevertheless I love Charlie Cox in this. He's a great actor in this film and he really grows into a man by the time the end of the film comes by. The 7 brothers (while so underused) is also a great delight as with Deniro and Ricky Gervais.

But I have to say it possibly has one of the BEST SWORD FIGHT SCENES in recent years.

Last edited by DarwinMayflower; August 24th, 2007 at 7:41 am.
Old August 24th, 2007, 7:55 am
Third Year

I thought it was a FANTASTIC film. I mean, yes, some stuff absolutely reeked of cheese, but overall it was really good. Robert deNiro deserves something for this. Also, I would like to say that the music was very well done.

Old August 25th, 2007, 8:04 pm
Fifth Year

I love, love, LOVED this movie. It was soooooo great. I really want to read the book now. Captain Shakespeare was HILARIOUS. I've seen it twice and I can't wait to see it again.

"We'll hold hands and skip afterwards." -Jess from Gilmore Girls

"Put your gun back in your pants, Sawyer" -Kate

"But why is the rum gone?" -Captain Jack

"I don't know what kind of commie sharefest you're running up there in cavetown..." -Sawyer

"Is there anyway I can get this off my fingers quickly without betraying my cool exterior?" - Fox Mulder

Oh Captain Jack, you've swashbuckled your way into my heart.
Old August 25th, 2007, 8:22 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachblossom View Post
I love, love, LOVED this movie. It was soooooo great. I really want to read the book now. Captain Shakespeare was HILARIOUS. I've seen it twice and I can't wait to see it again.
I actually bought and read the book yesterday, and it's quite different from the movie. Firstly, it's a bit more, well explicit...the movie had to make a lot of changes to the book to get a PG-13 rating.

And secondly, the ending (don't worry, I won't spoil it for you) has a few important differences which you may or may not like, depending on what you liked about the movie.

Overall, I thought the movie was much better than the book (although I did like the book), but that's probably because everything I loved about the story was in both the book and the movie, while some things I liked (like Captain Shakespeare) weren't actually in the book...

Yvaine: "What do stars do?"
Old August 26th, 2007, 1:27 am
Third Year

I haven't seen it yet, but I want to, but before I do I'm going to read the book, because I always do, just to compare.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > In Cinemas & General Movie discussion