Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

Old January 2nd, 2007, 7:11 am
Third Year

Re: Do you prefer the books or the films?

I could break it down like Pumpkin juice did but why I already know the answer

Books win everytime.. Sometimes I would rather that i never saw the movies beacuse that takes away from the images that each individual makes by themselves. I mean yes the movies are good but I definitely had different ideas and i can not get back to my ideas i originally had about all the characters because Rupert Grin pops into my head for Ron. I think that the movies cut down the readers personal ideas

Old January 2nd, 2007, 9:02 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytail View Post
Books win everytime.. Sometimes I would rather that i never saw the movies beacuse that takes away from the images that each individual makes by themselves. I mean yes the movies are good but I definitely had different ideas and i can not get back to my ideas i originally had about all the characters because Rupert Grin pops into my head for Ron. I think that the movies cut down the readers personal ideas
I totally agree
I for example had a totally different idea about how Sirius looked (in my imagination he was much cooler ).

Old January 2nd, 2007, 3:37 pm
Snidget of Champions

The books are hundreds of times better than the movies. Very few movies are better than the books they imitate, and books in general are better than movies. The Harry Potter books are done in such detail, and you do not get that with the movies. Also, I enjoy reading every word JKR writes, and therefore I cannot say that I like the movies more simply because there is so much cut out. It is also much easier to understand what a character is thinking when reading the books, and in the movies the main actors are simply too young and inexperienced to show their emotions properly.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old January 2nd, 2007, 3:46 pm
First Year

I love to read the books. But its fun sometimes just to watch the dvd if I am to lazy to read the day. I think there is a thread already up about this topic.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 4:42 pm
Second Year

I prefer the books over the films any day. Now, I'm not just complaining about the films here, but I think it's sort of obvious that the books provide more, and sometimes not so boring, information.

Sometimes I like the films over the books, however, I have seen them so many times that they become somewhat boring to me. The books can never do that to me, because almost every time you re-read them, you find out something new.

Right now I'm re-reading 'Half-Blood Prince' for the 4th time.

-Simon

"Well- it's just that you seem to be labouring under the delusion that I am going to - what is the phrase - come quietly. I am afraid I am not going to come quietly at all, Cornelius. I have absolutly no intention of being sent to Azkaban. I could break out, of course - but what a waste of time, and frankly, I can think of a whole host of things I would rather be doing."
-- Albus Dumbledore
Old January 2nd, 2007, 6:15 pm
Fifth Year

Like every other poster yet I much prefer the books to the movies. They are so much more detailed, longer, more enjoyable and most importantly what the movies are based on.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 6:17 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

I prefer the books to the films, mainly because I started the books first, and prefer the characterization in the books compared to the movies, especially where Ron's character is concerned. He's been downplayed way too much for the films, where as Hermione has been up-played, if that's an actual word.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 6:20 pm
First Year

I like the last two films more than I like the first two books, but otherwise I prefer the books.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:38 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguard View Post
I prefer the books over the films any day. Now, I'm not just complaining about the films here, but I think it's sort of obvious that the books provide more, and sometimes not so boring, information.

Sometimes I like the films over the books, however, I have seen them so many times that they become somewhat boring to me. The books can never do that to me, because almost every time you re-read them, you find out something new.

Right now I'm re-reading 'Half-Blood Prince' for the 4th time.

-Simon
Heh. Usually I re read the books a ton but not necesarily read the book word by word, chapter by chapter again. I'll go to a chapter I want to read, start there read a few chapters etc. But I love the GOF book so much so I am reading it fully for about the sixth time.

For example scenes like the triwizard tasks I think are so much better in the books than the movie. I mean the first task was kind of crazy, a little too out of control, it would never become a dragon chasing Harry around the school. The book version is obviously short, only two pages or so, but still it just sort of gives me a little emotion while reading it, I guess very happy because the scene is so relieving and Happy. Everyone, he thinks is against him aside from the Gryffindors, Ron wont talk to him. He goes and performs amazingly and everything turns out good, everybody cheering him, Ron makes up with him, everyone praising him, Charlie, McGonagal, Hagrid, Imposter moody etc. I dont know, its just such a good chapter in the book IMO.

Last edited by KDOG; January 3rd, 2007 at 12:45 am.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:45 am
Fourth Year

The books. No question. There's only one instance in my entire lifetime where the movie has been better than the book, IMO. "Chocolat."

There's no way you can get the amount of detail, the little "homey" stuff into the movies. All the potterverse that we know and love has no way of making it in the movies. And that's totally okay wth me... movies and books are different media, and the movies have to be Harry-Centric in order to get out the entire story in less than twenty hours.

Although I do love the movies in their own way. PoA being my favorite, that one made me think "This isn't a Harry Potter film, this is a film." It completely caught the essence of the book. But this is neither the time nor place...

At any rate. Long story short... books.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 2:20 am
Sixth Year

Books...definately!

Without the books there would be no movie!

the movies are pretty good, except for PoA though

- I John 4:18

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Enter the world of my fanfictions! Deviantart
Old January 3rd, 2007, 2:28 am
Third Year

Historically, I've liked books better than movies, especially when the movie is based off of a book. There are aspects of the movies I have really liked - the special effects are absolutely amazing at times - but I prefer getting the stories in small doses, not to mention I think books give a better appreciation for the amazing facets of language use.

One thing I really don't like about movies is when they change the physical characteristics from the way you picture someone. Notably, I really pictured Remus Lupin and Sirius Black as totally different from the way they were portrayed in the films - now it's hard for me to come up with that character because they get replaced by the characters in the movies. Most of them are pretty close to the way I'd picture them, but sometimes they can give you a nasty shock when you see them all wrong.

That being said, it is really cool to actually "see" the world of Hogwarts and the secrets that are embedded in a relatively short period of time.

He was the bravest man Harry knew. ~Long Live Severus Snape~
Old January 3rd, 2007, 2:49 am
First Year

Ditto for me; books have more detail that the Kloves can't translate or bother to include or just change for excample in "GoF movie no Dobie stealing the gillyweed and shift the "deed" over to
honest Neville alot of things but he's no thief!
kittyboy

Old January 3rd, 2007, 2:50 am
Hogwarts Graduate

The books of course. W/o the books no movies. Plus th emovies have left to much out.

Elizebeth: Barbosa marry us.
(best movie scene ever!)

"

Will Turner: "It depends on the one day.
Old January 3rd, 2007, 2:51 am
Second Year

I prefer reading the books, as you can imagine the characters exactly as they're written (no bad acting!) and not as the exaggerated versions in the movies, and the places... well it just feels like you're there. With the movies, you have to deal with the fact that its how the director sees the books, and lately, thts just not cutting it. GoF was a huge disappointment for me, not only with the acting, but the movie as a whole.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 3:33 am
First Year

Books

Old January 3rd, 2007, 3:35 am
First Year

Booooooooks!!!!! Movies are nice, but since they can't fit every detail from the books, you can get annoyed that they didn't put things in (SPEW and Peeves for instance) I choose books over movies any day.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 3:38 am
First Year

Books of course. There is so much in the books that the movies just cant capture. But still i cant wait for the 5th movie.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 8:14 am
Registered Animagus

The books, no doubt. The movies are reasonable but the books are what got me hooked in the first place.

Old January 3rd, 2007, 8:53 am
First Year

I like both but I would have to say that I prefer the books a little bit more. The movies convey the story very well but the books hold so much more details that, if put into the movie, would make the movie over 3 hours long. Or over 4 hours long if you're talking about OOTP. What I say is, read the books, love the books, escape into Harry's world. Then go watch the movie and have fun. Don't nit pick the movie, just be thankful that we have movies of these great books. And for the record, if they wanted to do the movies right and put in all the details that hardcore HP fans want and that meant that the movie would run 3 hours or more, then I would be all for it. Give me all of it, I'll sit and watch. I did it for LOTR and still do it when I watch LOTR Extended Edition.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies