Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Old September 13th, 2013, 2:04 am
Second Year

Re: NEW PROJECT by JKR: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - The Film

Unbelievable news today!

At first I too was skeptical--it smacked too much of WB needing a quick buck and milking the HP franchise so to do--but upon hearing that Rowling herself would be writing the screenplay and that she's had a special fascination with Newt Scamander for some time, I think this new series is in very good hands. It's doubtful that it'll hold up to the standard of the main eight movies of course, but it's awesome we're getting to explore this universe further.

It does make me wish, though, that Rowling would've written the screenplays for the main films, however.

My ongoing choose-your-adventure story:

The Potter Games: Endgame
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2013, 4:30 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
I'm sceptical and always have been towards the adaptation of the companion books. While I do trust Jo, I still feel that it'd be best if the HP film series was just laid to rest. That Fantastic Beats has been said to be the start of a new film series I'm even more sceptical. I might have been ok if it was just the one film, but the possibility of all these spin offs is concerning to me.
Yeah I'm not too sure on how I feel about all this. I haven't gotten nearly as excited as everyone else seems to be. I don't base judgement though until we learn more of what's going to be entailed.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old September 13th, 2013, 7:15 am
Third Year

Very excited by this news! I had hoped that any return to the wizarding world would be outside of Harry Potter. Really excited to see how it turns out.

Two of the oddest men you would ever meet.

Supporter of splitting at shell cottage after Dobby's Heroic death.
Old September 13th, 2013, 8:27 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Seems there's still some money to be wrung out of the series.
It would seem so.

I'm apparently going against the consensus here as I'm not the least bit interested in Newt Scamander and his travelogue.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old September 13th, 2013, 8:36 am
Sixth Year

I don't know what to say. I'm so excited. My God I have been a part of the Harry Potter fandom for so long. I've been on these forums for ten years. I really don't know what to say, except I hope this leads to amazing things and I can stand in line all day to see these movies at midnight. Just typing in these forums again is wonderful. I just. These forums meant so much to me when I was 13 and now here I am again. And I'm seeing usernames here I recognize from many years ago.

I understand that a lot of people might not be "into" this, but it's far to early to judge. Wonderful things can come from this story, even though the idea of it isn't interesting at first.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old September 13th, 2013, 9:57 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

This sounds good but I'm holding my breath to see if it can be properly spun off . If as it says it starts 70 years before the HP books then we will likely see some of the older characters from the HP world as very young people . Unless of course JKR doesn't write about Wizard Britain in this story .

I wonder the "FB and Where to Find Them" book was originally done to support one of JKR's charities will that mean some of the profits from this movie will go to the same charity? .

YOU'RE THE STATUE!

Sorted

Last edited by twinsrule26; September 13th, 2013 at 9:59 am.
Old September 13th, 2013, 2:13 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Totally unexpected.

I'm excited because I love the HP universe and would love to spend more time there. I'm sure with Rowling writing, it will involve all sorts of new conflicts and complications. And as HP fans we can all take a break from the tired old debates and have something entirely new to enjoy together.

Here's hoping the forum will stay open now that there's new HP-universe material coming.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old September 13th, 2013, 7:29 pm
Second Year

I am a little puzzled. Does it take place 70 years before Harry is born or before the events in Philosopher's Stone?

Old September 13th, 2013, 8:56 pm
Fourth Year

I was so sceptical when I first heard about this, even when I found out that JKR was writing it, because it smacks of WB trying to make more money out of the HP franchise because they know we will watch more films, but I've warmed to the idea a little bit. Probably just because it's more HP and overnight I reverted back to my 10-year-old self

I think it could be good. I'm not sure how JKR is going to go about turning Fantastic Beasts into a film, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt while we don't know anything about it. A lot of people seem to think that it'll be set in the 1920's, so I'd love to see the Wizarding World during that time period and I hope JKR can show the culture of then in the film. It says that the film will start in New York, so I'm guessing that it'll show Newt's travels around the world as he collects information on all the different magical animals.

I'm not sure about the series concept, whether it's going to be a series about Newt, or if they'll turn the other companion books/textbooks into films too.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:33 pm
I want to believe

I have to say I was surprised to hear this news yesterday. I didn't think Rowling would ever revisit the HP world. That said, I can't say I'm super excited about it, but I'm sure I'll check it out. Though I am really wondering what kind of story could be made out of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. From the little info we have to go on, it seems to me like the movie will pretty much be "The Adventures of Newt Scamander". I feel like I need more information (which I'm sure will be forthcoming over the next few months) to decide whether this sounds like something I want to see.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old September 13th, 2013, 11:53 pm
Third Year

I'm very curious about the idea Warner Bros. originally approached Rowling with. I wonder if they came up to her and just asked "Would you try and create a story out of this book?" or if they had a plot outlined already.

Also, why 'Fantastic Beasts' and not 'Quidditch' or 'Beedle?' I mean, 'Fantastic Beasts' is not the obvious choice.

From what Rowling said in the statement, it does seem like the final idea for the series came from her; and I mean, I'm sure whatever she came up to will be way better than anything WB had in mind, but I'd still be interested in learning more about Warner's original proposal.

"You said to us once before that there was time to turn
back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?"
Old September 14th, 2013, 12:22 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhaps View Post
I'm very curious about the idea Warner Bros. originally approached Rowling with. I wonder if they came up to her and just asked "Would you try and create a story out of this book?" or if they had a plot outlined already.

Also, why 'Fantastic Beasts' and not 'Quidditch' or 'Beedle?' I mean, 'Fantastic Beasts' is not the obvious choice.

From what Rowling said in the statement, it does seem like the final idea for the series came from her; and I mean, I'm sure whatever she came up to will be way better than anything WB had in mind, but I'd still be interested in learning more about Warner's original proposal.
Well, if they are planning to do another series of films, then Quidditch through the Ages and The Tales of Beedle the Bard could be part of that. Particularly with framing the story around the authors. That works best for the textbooks anyway. They could also do Hogwarts, A History and frame it around the founders as they planned and built the school and the subsequent conflicts. That's one I would absolutely love to see.

Has there been any information about the series in general or has it all just been about this one film?

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old September 14th, 2013, 1:27 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
Well, if they are planning to do another series of films, then Quidditch through the Ages and The Tales of Beedle the Bard could be part of that. Particularly with framing the story around the authors. That works best for the textbooks anyway. They could also do Hogwarts, A History and frame it around the founders as they planned and built the school and the subsequent conflicts. That's one I would absolutely love to see.

Has there been any information about the series in general or has it all just been about this one film?
No they haven't cleared that up completely. And while many clues seem to point to the the idea of the new film series being entirely built around Newt, I was also thinking that it's possible they will built the new franchise around the textbooks; as in 1 film being based off 'Fantastic Beasts,' the next one off 'Quidditch' and so on... but who knows. We'll need to wait for more details.

"You said to us once before that there was time to turn
back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?"
Old September 14th, 2013, 3:18 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

I, for one, am really excited about this. In all the JKR interviews I've read, I've always gotten the impression that she wasn't fully done with HP but that she would never write more Harry Potter stories. I think this is a brilliant idea by Warner Brothers (even though it is purely formed from a profits standpoint). I think it gives JKR an entry back into the Wizarding World without revisiting the Potterverse.

What this really reminds me of, and here I'm totally speculating, is Gilderoy Lockheart and his series of books. That it could be a series of stand alone stories. Which I think it kind of has to be - otherwise JKR needs to conceive of one larger story that is broken up into parts but still has distinct beginnings, middles and endings (as HP does).

I think setting it 70 years before HP starts - I don't know if she means 1910's, 20's or 30's - but any time in that time frame is interesting. You get a mass culture shift from 1910-20, you get prohibition, immigration issues (esp in NYC and anti-immigrant sentiment), you get Gatsby society, Women's right to vote, the invention of the automobile, and that all leads into the Great Depression. SO much history she can pull from and weave her Wizarding World laws into.

Anyone out there read Libba Bray's The Diviners? It has a similar time frame and setting - something dark and evil awakens in the city that never sleeps... I don't think JKR will go dark with these movies, but the potential is there. I think she's gearing things more towards the next generation of HP readers, and that's who the audience will be for this movie series.

Lastly, the one thing I have always disliked about the HP movies was the screenplay. I loved the sets, props, costumes, cinematography, casting. Just hated the screenplay. So this really gives me hope that she can bring the wit and dialogue to the screen that HP missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhaps View Post
I recall that JKR was quoted as saying that she was happy to write her last Quidditch scene when it stopped showing up in the books. Beedle's stories are already there, and we've seen in HP7 pt2 that the Tale of the Three Brothers was animated, short and concise. I think you could make a whole movie out of a Fairy Tale (Cinderella anyone?) but the potential for discovering anything new from the wizarding world is minimal.

With Fantastic Beasts there is potential for adventure. How did Mr. Scamander discover the creatures? Who else is involved? Does he intervene if they are targeting muggles? Does he take time to learn their ways to communicate with them? Are there duels with other wizards in protecting/hiding secrets surrounding them? Is there an enemy who is trying to eliminate magical creatures? Is the American Ministry involved? What is the Wizarding system of government in the US? Do we get to see the Salem Institute? The possibilities are endless, and that's why Fantastic Beasts is the most likely material for a new series of stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
I wonder the "FB and Where to Find Them" book was originally done to support one of JKR's charities will that mean some of the profits from this movie will go to the same charity? .
That would be fairly groundbreaking in the movie biz. Gosh I hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IenjoyAcidPops View Post
I have thought that a TV series that's a twist/satire on an exotic-animal travelogue would be more fitting - and I'd like to think that Rowling's thought of that herself, but the idea that she's come up with is different enough from her book, and more appropriate for a film.
I too could see this as an extended TV series - like as complex as Game of Thrones - detailed enough to feel like a movie, but with the time frame of an hour.

Old September 14th, 2013, 6:58 pm
Seventh Year

I'm definitely excited about the possibilities presented by this project. While I'm sure Warner Brothers had a financial interest in getting more Harry Potter on the screen considering how their attempts to find "the next Harry Potter" haven't bore much fruit (The Hunger Games is the one series that's come close, but that's being distributed by Lionsgate), the fact that Jo is so heavily involved excites me. They could have simply made a "Next Generation"-type film and had the original trio return in some capacity, but instead we're getting a potential series of films based on an obscure character from the books who only the die-hard fans knew about before this announcement.

I don't think the story is simply going to revolve around a charming wizard traveling to different locations in order to learn more about magical creatures, however interesting that idea is on its own. I can't imagine there being another Dark Lord threat; we know enough about Newt's background to be sure of that much. Whatever the story turns out to be, I'll be following along with great interest.

I Support The Harry Potter Alliance (Potter Pride!)
“I am honoured and humbled that Harry’s name has been given to such an extraordinary campaign, which really does exemplify the values for which Dumbledore’s Army fought in the books."

Last edited by SwedishSkinJer; September 14th, 2013 at 7:03 pm.
Old September 15th, 2013, 12:48 am
Splendide Mendax

[quote=SwedishSkinJer;6078764]I can't imagine there being another Dark Lord threat; we know enough about Newt's background to be sure of that much.[quote]

"In 1947, Scamander was responsible for the inception of the Werewolf Register"

IMO, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to claim it was inspired by Grindelwald's use of the same...

The thing is, we do not know enough about Scamander's background. Which makes him the perfect lead in a new series - he was a contemporary of quite a few interesting characters we know nothing about, and he did work for the Ministry at one point.

Old September 15th, 2013, 2:50 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
What this really reminds me of, and here I'm totally speculating, is Gilderoy Lockheart and his series of books. That it could be a series of stand alone stories. Which I think it kind of has to be - otherwise JKR needs to conceive of one larger story that is broken up into parts but still has distinct beginnings, middles and endings (as HP does).
I think it could well be a series of standalone, but connected stories. I don't know if JKR would want to commit again to a long series with a central, continuing plotline.

Quote:
Lastly, the one thing I have always disliked about the HP movies was the screenplay. I loved the sets, props, costumes, cinematography, casting. Just hated the screenplay. So this really gives me hope that she can bring the wit and dialogue to the screen that HP missed.
Yeah, I'm looking forward to a JKR screenplay. I'm wondering if she pitched the screenplay to WB so that the rules she envisioned for her fantasy universe were not further ignored and discarded by screenwriters.

Quote:
I recall that JKR was quoted as saying that she was happy to write her last Quidditch scene when it stopped showing up in the books. Beedle's stories are already there, and we've seen in HP7 pt2 that the Tale of the Three Brothers was animated, short and concise. I think you could make a whole movie out of a Fairy Tale (Cinderella anyone?) but the potential for discovering anything new from the wizarding world is minimal.
Yeah, Newt does seem like the best opportunity for expanding the HP universe out of the three companion books. Anything based on Quidditch through the Ages would probably end up being just another formulaic sports movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishSkinJer View Post
I don't think the story is simply going to revolve around a charming wizard traveling to different locations in order to learn more about magical creatures, however interesting that idea is on its own. I can't imagine there being another Dark Lord threat; we know enough about Newt's background to be sure of that much. Whatever the story turns out to be, I'll be following along with great interest.
I did actually imagine it would be something like that, just with a bit more drama and adventure - a wizarding Indiana Jones type story, perhaps.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old September 15th, 2013, 5:07 pm
Third Year

Not too bothered but I hope this movie steers well clear of the Harry Potter timeline (which thankfully seems to be the case with it starting in the 1920's). Don't need any more movies butchering the actual books.

Old September 16th, 2013, 3:01 am
First Year

I hyperventilated when I heard the news. Being very late on the Harry Potter Fandom, I never got to experience the anticipation for another HP book or movie. I guess this is as close as it will get... For some reason, understanding that JKR has not yet left the Wizarding World, gives me hope that perhaps she'll consider writing a prequel about Tom Riddle one day... Is it too much of a stretch? *sigh* I can dream..

Grindelwald would be alive in that time period wouldn't he? I was always curious about him. I know it takes place in New York, but perhaps news of his wrongdoings could travel there... I don't know.. It seems I'm far more excited about HPverse related character cameos rather than Newt himself.

Old September 16th, 2013, 12:28 pm
Third Year

No, I haven't been sitting around salivating at the thought of learning more about Newt Scamander, and sure WB would like to make more money, but it's a movie (or movies) about the Wizarding World, Jo's in charge after squashing whatever idea Warner's came to her with, she's got an idea she's charged up about--that's all I really need to know to be excited about this. They could have told me it was about Bertha Jorkins' great-great grandmother recycling wand shavings and I'm sure Jo could blow us away with that.

I've always thought she'd created this world so dense, she could write another whole book/series about the kid eyeing up the Firebolt in Quality Quidditch Supplies, the rowdy warlocks once seen in the Three Broomsticks, the trolley lady, little Kevin who borrowed his dad's wand at the World Cup, or one of the offbeat characters seen on the Knight Bus. If it's in the Wizarding World, I'm thinking she's going to rock it.

Last edited by Rookie_Angel; September 16th, 2013 at 12:33 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies