Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Harry Potter Theme Park v.2

Old January 9th, 2011, 4:07 pm
Second Year

Re: Harry Potter Theme Park v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
Welll thats the thing. I am pretty sure if they do expand they will probably take over the rest of the Lost Continent. Other then that, they might try and put something Harry Potter in Universal Studios to even out the crowd. nothing like hogsmeade but maybe another simulator type ride. They are looking to shut down either ET or Jaws or both. both these rides could be converted to a real set Harry potter ride. A flight thru the Forbidden Forest for the ET ride, or a boat ride in the black lake for Jaws. Who knows really.
some of their best attractions? Getting replaced? I don't think so, they STILL have relatively large lines during the day. If anything will get the ax, it will be Terminator 2: 3D (much less relevant than ET or Jaws), or something like Twister, and even Terminator still gets large lines on busy days. And your ideas are... Very iffy at best, because the parks are so separate, so the Forbidden Forest would be too far away, as would the Black Lake, and it's not "Harry Potter land", it's still Universal. What I believe will happen is a partial take over of the Lost Continent (the island before HP) in 4-5 years, and then a final take over of the LC. However, everything is speculation at this point. I do know an insider who has confirmed that plans have been drawn up in what is known as the "Blue Sky" phase, the earliest part of theme park additions/plans. Meaning anything could happen with the plans at this point, including being dropped. However, if they have done this (and this guy knows that, indeed, they have), they are considering an expansion. Let the speculation begin

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is now officially open! We can finally enter the world we always dreamed about!

"Of course it's been happening in your head Harry, but why on Earth should that mean it's not real?" Albus Dumbledore

"Do not pity the dead Harry, pity the living, and above all, pity those who live without love" Albus Dumbledore

"After all, to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure" Albus Dumbledore

Love Dumbledore's wise quotes, he's definitely got his priorities straight and his heart in the right place.
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2011, 5:38 pm
Third Year

I am so jealous on everyone who have been there or are going

I so want to go there. But at the moment the travel and everything around would be way to expensive for me. Hopefully i'll be able to go there in 2-3 years

"The stories we love best, do live in us forever. So whether you come back by page or by
the big screen, Hogwarts will allways be there to welcome you home"

- JK Rowling
Old January 9th, 2011, 5:47 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogki View Post
some of their best attractions? Getting replaced? I don't think so, they STILL have relatively large lines during the day. If anything will get the ax, it will be Terminator 2: 3D (much less relevant than ET or Jaws), or something like Twister, and even Terminator still gets large lines on busy days. And your ideas are... Very iffy at best, because the parks are so separate, so the Forbidden Forest would be too far away, as would the Black Lake, and it's not "Harry Potter land", it's still Universal. What I believe will happen is a partial take over of the Lost Continent (the island before HP) in 4-5 years, and then a final take over of the LC. However, everything is speculation at this point. I do know an insider who has confirmed that plans have been drawn up in what is known as the "Blue Sky" phase, the earliest part of theme park additions/plans. Meaning anything could happen with the plans at this point, including being dropped. However, if they have done this (and this guy knows that, indeed, they have), they are considering an expansion. Let the speculation begin
Jaws and ET almost never have big lines, even on busy days. But the buzz is already that either jaws or ET will go. Jaws was iconic and that is the only reason its still there today. I am sure it will be closed up very soon and the big shark will be moved somewhere else in the park so people can still stick their heads in it and take pictures, much like the back to the future train and car.

I agree with the T2 theater. And there have been talks that one is on the list as well. My guess is that they knew the last Terminator film and the new TV show was coming and wanted to ride what probably was the last wave of Terminators stuff to be released.

I really won't get into the whole "continuity debate" as we already did that in the other thread. All I will say is yes, it is "iffy" these rides will be replaced by Harry Potter themed attractions. Not because they are worried the black lake and the forest are too far away, but rather because it would be unprecedented that a single theme would be spread out like that in general. However, because Universal has seen just how powerful the HP IP is they might consider it.

As I am writing this I just thought of another thing. If Jaws was to go that would open up that whole northern corner of Universal Studios. The fear factor show is now being closed during not peak days, meaning that will have to be replaced. There could be a whole new Wizarding World that could fit in there. That closed area would stretch all the from the disaster ride all the way around to the Men in Black ride.

Again HP stuff at the Studios maybe unlikely but we can dream. And it looks like that they will be adding new stuff to Studios before they add to Islands which could mean we don't see a lot of new HP stuff for a long time.

Old January 10th, 2011, 5:36 pm
First Year

I have a feeling they are going to axe the Lost Continent. Although, what are they going to do with the best amusement restaurant from 2003-2008? Kidding. It's that Mythos, which wasn't that impressive anyways.

I went the 15th & 16th of November and it wasn't crowded at all...except for the Wizarding World. As you walk around Island of Adventures, you notice that nobody is visiting the other attractions in the park. I like the other attractions but nothing can compete with the Wizarding World, especially since you can't ride the Jurrasic Park pterodactyl ride without riding with someone who is between 36-48 inches tall.

I'm not sure about the land between Univseral and Island of Adventures but pretty much the only way of expanding in IoA is thru the Lost Continent or Jurassic Park. I feel Jurassic Park will stay because it's becoming nostalgic in its age, which leaves Lost Continent to go. Did anyone else take the Poseidon Tour there? I thought it was kind of neat but more Wizarding World would be better. I don't think they could get away with cutting down some of the Lost Continent but would have to get rid of it entirely.

"The right man for the job...or something."
Old January 11th, 2011, 5:06 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGryffindor View Post
I have a feeling they are going to axe the Lost Continent. Although, what are they going to do with the best amusement restaurant from 2003-2008? Kidding. It's that Mythos, which wasn't that impressive anyways.

I went the 15th & 16th of November and it wasn't crowded at all...except for the Wizarding World. As you walk around Island of Adventures, you notice that nobody is visiting the other attractions in the park. I like the other attractions but nothing can compete with the Wizarding World, especially since you can't ride the Jurrasic Park pterodactyl ride without riding with someone who is between 36-48 inches tall.

I'm not sure about the land between Univseral and Island of Adventures but pretty much the only way of expanding in IoA is thru the Lost Continent or Jurassic Park. I feel Jurassic Park will stay because it's becoming nostalgic in its age, which leaves Lost Continent to go. Did anyone else take the Poseidon Tour there? I thought it was kind of neat but more Wizarding World would be better. I don't think they could get away with cutting down some of the Lost Continent but would have to get rid of it entirely.
Ya this is pretty much as a given. They will definitely NOT cut into the JP portion of the park and so the only place they can expand is through LC. In between IOA and Studios is all storage and back lot stuff, so there really isn't a way expand out there either. Everybody knows that when the Wizarding world expands it will take over the LC.

The questions that came up however is in the article I posted. There is definitely a huge population gap between IOA and Studios. So the execs first order of business before any Wizarding world expansion is to add or change things over in studios. But the execs also stated they are looking to capitalize on the Harry Potter IP. Though I don't think HP will go to the studios, I wouldn't rule it out either. What ever they do in studios, they will have to a great job to pull more people over from IOA.

A survey they did this summer may be clues as to what they are thinking as far as different themes they are playing with. They include: Avatar, Twilight, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy, and Lord of the Rings. Out of all these themes Lord of the Rings had the most in depth questions, and for good reasons. LOTR is one of the few IP's that has the fan base like Harry Potter. LOTR is an available IP. Also the Hobbit movie will be released in a few years so it would be pretty good timing.

Last edited by Snuffy; January 11th, 2011 at 5:08 pm.
Old January 13th, 2011, 6:50 am
First Year

I went in December, and it was sooo busy! Long lines everywhere, in both parks, but nothing was packed like HP. I did two days at IOA, so I got to see every single thing. I would recommended to everyone to do the walking tour of Hogwarts (ask the people to direct you). This is not a line for the ride, but you get to see everything, and you can take as much time as you want, take pictures, whatever.

I got Dumbledore's wand, cuz who doesn't want the Elder Wand! If you for sure want a character wand, you are probably better off buying it at the little cart just outside of Filch's Emporium of Stolen Goods (exit of Forbidden Journey ride), as the line is 5 minutes at most.

Personally, I didn't like the Butterbeer. It was too sweet for me, but definitely worth the try.

Every half an hour, they have little shows by the House flags. Two different shows: Hogwarts choir with giant frogs, and Triwizard Spirit Rally. Afterwards, you can take pictures with them.

Old January 13th, 2011, 2:44 pm
Fifth Year

I really can't fathom why park themes for T2, Jaws, ET, and Jurassic Park are still hanging around. All those films are passe. Does anyone really care about Jaws anymore? Or ET?
Universal is a business first and foremost, so the bottom line (profits) trumps all else; if the WWoHP is raking in record profits, (which it is) that's where I think they're going to concentrate.
That said, ideas for a new park theme aren't out of the question - I'd love to see a LotR park too.

I was thinking of going down there during my son's Easter vacation, which is April 18-22 this year.
Or maybe that'd be a bad idea.. when is everyone else currently in school doing their Easter vacation? The week before, or after, April 17th?

Old January 13th, 2011, 3:04 pm
Eldest Gruff

If I could chose from all these parks, I'd definitely took ET. I hadn't thought either that it's a smart decision to keep them moneywise, but seems it works that more people like to get nostalgic.

I don't want to live in a world
where the strong rules and the weak cower.
Harry Dresden.
Old January 13th, 2011, 3:07 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdvines View Post
I went in December, and it was sooo busy! Long lines everywhere, in both parks, but nothing was packed like HP. I did two days at IOA, so I got to see every single thing. I would recommended to everyone to do the walking tour of Hogwarts (ask the people to direct you). This is not a line for the ride, but you get to see everything, and you can take as much time as you want, take pictures, whatever.

I got Dumbledore's wand, cuz who doesn't want the Elder Wand! If you for sure want a character wand, you are probably better off buying it at the little cart just outside of Filch's Emporium of Stolen Goods (exit of Forbidden Journey ride), as the line is 5 minutes at most.

Personally, I didn't like the Butterbeer. It was too sweet for me, but definitely worth the try.

Every half an hour, they have little shows by the House flags. Two different shows: Hogwarts choir with giant frogs, and Triwizard Spirit Rally. Afterwards, you can take pictures with them.
Yeah I did the same thing and went for 2 days at IoA. Anytime you can get a tour, it's well worth it. Speaking of Filch's Emporium, I hope they can expand that space because it gets a little too crowded with everyone coming off the Forbidden Journey ride.

The Three Broomsticks was wonderful and I agree with the Butterbeer...it is a bit too sweet but it is good.

Old January 13th, 2011, 11:55 pm
Third Year

Agree with everyone about Jaws, ET, and Terminator. Of these, I get the feeling that Jaws and the ET are the ones showing their age more. But as mentioned, they are at Studios, and I'm sure they'll take over Lost Continent first.

Old January 14th, 2011, 12:04 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyesbo View Post
Agree with everyone about Jaws, ET, and Terminator. Of these, I get the feeling that Jaws and the ET are the ones showing their age more. But as mentioned, they are at Studios, and I'm sure they'll take over Lost Continent first.
Well I'm honestly going to have to say, I highly doubt that any HP attraction will ever end up in Universal Studios, however, all possibilities are open with this kind of place...

Jaws and E.T. are showing their age, but they are so nostalgic lol... Everyone knows about them, and most people who haven't been will ride them... Jaws is always a must do for most people who go to USF (every time), and me and my family have to go on all the things mentioned excluding Terminator: 3D...

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is now officially open! We can finally enter the world we always dreamed about!

"Of course it's been happening in your head Harry, but why on Earth should that mean it's not real?" Albus Dumbledore

"Do not pity the dead Harry, pity the living, and above all, pity those who live without love" Albus Dumbledore

"After all, to the well organized mind, death is but the next great adventure" Albus Dumbledore

Love Dumbledore's wise quotes, he's definitely got his priorities straight and his heart in the right place.
Old January 14th, 2011, 4:03 am
Second Year

I hate the fact that I haven't even been to the WWOHP and I live in Florida! It bugs me so much because it really is a dream come true for me and I really love HP. But I'm always too busy to go. Hopefully I'll get to go during spring break!!

©GryffnSoldier
| USE KNOWLEDGE FOR POWER |
PROUD SLYTHERCLAW

HereThere
Old January 14th, 2011, 3:18 pm
Fifth Year

I wonder if George Lucas ever considered building a whole Star Wars theme park? (Lord knows he has the money to do it!) I know there are elements of it at Disney/20th CF, (as well as Indiana Jones) but I'd bet an entire park would do well, considering how popular Star Wars is and continues to be.
"Jedi" is now a real religion in the UK, isn't it? Or was that NZ?

Old January 15th, 2011, 9:24 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grymmditch View Post
I wonder if George Lucas ever considered building a whole Star Wars theme park? (Lord knows he has the money to do it!) I know there are elements of it at Disney/20th CF, (as well as Indiana Jones) but I'd bet an entire park would do well, considering how popular Star Wars is and continues to be.
"Jedi" is now a real religion in the UK, isn't it? Or was that NZ?
Ya Disney probably holds most of the rights when it comes to star wars in theme parks. I highly doubt Disney will put an entire theme park for star wars, although it probably would do well. All I can say is Universal upped the ante when it comes to a single IP portion of the. Hopefully Disney follows suit and can do the same with star wars or even their new IP Marvel.

Old January 15th, 2011, 12:57 pm
Second Year

;___;

I haven't gone yet.

It's nice they're expanding it, though; maybe they'll be able to build more of the castle.

"Where are you now? Are you lost? Will I find you again? Are you alone? Are you afraid? Are you searching for me?"

~Proud Ravenclaw!~
Old January 22nd, 2011, 4:15 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccioSeverus View Post
;___;

I haven't gone yet.

It's nice they're expanding it, though; maybe they'll be able to build more of the castle.
I don;t think they will add onto physically to the castle. Although they might try and slip in another portion of the castle somewhere in the LC. Hiding it in a mountain and making the queue some sort of hidden passage to hogwarts.

Old January 22nd, 2011, 4:21 pm
First Year

I would LOVE to go to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. From what I've heard it is amazing. I feel it should have been built in England. I mean Harry Potter is British. I don't expect I'll ever get to visit considering it is america and all. Shame, it would be the trip of a lifetime.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 4:51 am
Second Year

Heres a snippet form screamscape. All just rumors as of now though. However screamscape does have good connections.

Quote:
While the rumor mill about what may or may not be in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter expansion site is just starting to ramp up, Behind the Thrills has posted a poll to allow their readers to vote on what things you would like to see added.
(1/29/11) According to one rumor, Universal is looking into having the expansion of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter finished by 2013… which is confidently the same time that Disney should be done with their Fantasyland expansion down the road. (I love it when they play nasty…)
As for the expansion, the plans are still being worked on, but the general idea is to take over the rest of Lost Continent, though at the same time they do not want to disturb the Mythos restaurant. (Just my 2 cents… but just place the new gateway to the Wizarding World just beyond the entrance of Mythos to avoid the clash.) The obvious and early idea here right now is to re-create a Diagon Alley environment… full of more theme appropriate shops to sell merchandise of course. An action show of some kind is being tossed around to replace Sinbad, and one possible storyline could involve the TriWizard Tournament. As for what may become of Poseidon’s Fury… the jury is still out, and many ideas are said to be on the table, however one possible idea under consideration would be an indoor steel coaster ride themed to Gringotts Wizarding Bank vaults seen in the first film.
The only thing I wouldn't like is Diagon Alley. It would be great and all but one of the most iconic places in Diagon Alley is Ollivanders. It doesn't make sense to have two but who knows. they might do it just because of the long lines in the current Ollivanders.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 3:51 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
Heres a snippet form screamscape. All just rumors as of now though. However screamscape does have good connections.

The only thing I wouldn't like is Diagon Alley. It would be great and all but one of the most iconic places in Diagon Alley is Ollivanders. It doesn't make sense to have two but who knows. they might do it just because of the long lines in the current Ollivanders.
Well, they could always just move Ollivanders out of Hogsmeade to Diagon Alley, but really, considering the wait time, lines, and interest in the experience, having two Ollivanders probably wouldn't be a bad idea, really.
Diagon Alley would also potentially provide for another restaurant - the Leaky Cauldron. And Gringotts would probably be a huge ATM (Enticement to get customers to spend more of their money!)
We probably won't see a Knockturn alley though.. bummer. I loved the looks of Borgin and Burkes. I could use a few more skulls and a hand of glory around the house.

Old February 3rd, 2011, 9:02 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grymmditch View Post
Well, they could always just move Ollivanders out of Hogsmeade to Diagon Alley, but really, considering the wait time, lines, and interest in the experience, having two Ollivanders probably wouldn't be a bad idea, really.
Diagon Alley would also potentially provide for another restaurant - the Leaky Cauldron. And Gringotts would probably be a huge ATM (Enticement to get customers to spend more of their money!)
We probably won't see a Knockturn alley though.. bummer. I loved the looks of Borgin and Burkes. I could use a few more skulls and a hand of glory around the house.
This could be a great opportunity to adjust the size of Ollivanders with the popularity it has. Of course, they would have to renovate where the current Ollivanders is once the new location is up. Personally, I don't think Mythos is that great and I would pick the Three Broomsticks before it, so putting another Harry Potter themed restaurant in its place would be worth it, IMO. There's a lot of room in LC if they get rid of all the structures (i.e. Sinbad and Poseidon) and would be able to add more than just a Diagon Alley and Gringotts but I'm on board with any addition.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies