Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Which Film Is The Darkest?

Old March 30th, 2010, 4:59 am
Seventh Year

Re: Which Film Is The Darkest?

Yeah, Rickman does a brilliant job of conveying Snape's feelings with the slightest facial expression.

I would say that the cinematography, music, and mood made HBP the darkest for me, with OotP coming in a close second due to the heavy political themes and the eerie Department of Mysteries set (bravo on that one, Stuart Craig).

I Support The Harry Potter Alliance (Potter Pride!)
“I am honoured and humbled that Harry’s name has been given to such an extraordinary campaign, which really does exemplify the values for which Dumbledore’s Army fought in the books."
Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:32 am
First Year

Goblet and Half-Blood for me.

Old March 31st, 2010, 8:25 pm
Foppe

PoA there was a lot of dark scences in that.

Old April 1st, 2010, 1:52 am
Aornis

But PoA didn't have as Dark a theme as HBP. In that one Dumbledore got killed. Now that is what I think dark is supposed to be.

Old May 8th, 2010, 8:23 pm
First Year

HBP is the darkest to me.

Old May 8th, 2010, 9:07 pm
Banned

Half Blood Prince, I think they were saving on electricity. I couldn't see what was going on half the time.

Old May 8th, 2010, 10:36 pm
Fourth Year

Definitly PoA, it never seems to be day time during that film.

Old May 10th, 2010, 12:36 am
First Year

In my opinion it's important to distinguish between books and films. You can't say that HBP is the darkest film just because Dumbledore got killed: the 90% of the movie is focused on Lavender and on the love stories. You can say that the sixth book is the darkest one (and I'd completely agree) but the film is not like it. I think the darkest film so far is POA.

Old May 10th, 2010, 4:31 am
Second Year

In my opinion, I found GoF the darkest, both in movie and book. The story started with killing and ends with another killing. And the killing of Cedric was absolutely tragic. The rebirth of Voldemort was also scary. It gave me chills and I had to hold my breath both when reading the book and watching the movie.

Winyk45

Old May 10th, 2010, 3:05 pm
Sixth Year

GoF. To me, literally, lighting-wise, it is the darkest. There are not many bright scenes in the whole film lol. The whole time Harry is worried, and then he loses his innocence when Cedric dies.

Old May 10th, 2010, 8:07 pm
Second Year

Both OoTP and PoA feature very dark themes, PoA through the dementors, OoTP through Harry's persistent angst and feelings of self-doubt and isolation and Umbridge's use of torture. I think the film HBP, despite all the comedy, has a lot of darkness and sadness too, which is seen both in the cinematography, the music and above all Malfoy's story.

On the whole, though, I would say that OoTP is the darkest film, since it goes so deeply into Harry's doubts about himself.

Old June 13th, 2010, 8:32 am
Fourth Year

I think that out of the movies out HBP is the darkest mainly due to the lighting and the ending. Also the scenes with Tom Riddle were so creepy.

‘And now – piertotum locomotor!’ cried Professor McGonagall. And all along the corridor the statues and suits of armour jumped down from their plinths, and from the echoing crashes from the floors above and below, Harry knew that their fellows throughout the castle had done the same.
‘Hogwarts is threatened!’ shouted Professor McGonagall. ‘Man the boundaries, protect us, do your duty to our school!’
Clattering and yelling, the horde of moving statues stampeded past Harry: some of them smaller, others larger than life. There were animals too, and the clanking suits of armour brandished swords and spiked balls on chains.

Pottermore Username: HallowSkull189
Old June 14th, 2010, 1:08 pm
Sixth Year

In the literal sense, all the last movies are quite dark. Seems like wizards are allergic to sunlight.

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Old June 14th, 2010, 1:09 pm
First Year

I think PoA is the first film to have a dark feel to it so it sticks in the mind. The Dementors and Harrys memories of dying parents run through the whole film and keep reminding me of the sadder/more serious theme to the book.

I didn't find the HBP film to be as dark as it should be. Although the ending was shocking and, having already read the book, i was inserting the dark bits in my head i thought the film didn't really have the same dark background that i felt it should do.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

(Discworld: holding a wavy mirror to reality)

SORTED !
Old June 14th, 2010, 6:46 pm
First Year

i think the darkest movie was the sixth and seventh book. the sixth because the death eaters are now the muggle world and having their fun with out care. they show it in the movie as well as in the book. its for the first time that we see them in the muggle world for who they really are. not only that but we also see the attack on a student by a dark object and the poisoning that happened to ron. we also see harry use a spell that causes a lot of damage. and most important we see the death of dumbledore. we see how far snape goes and its there were we come to the conclusion that snape might actually be bad.

the seventh is the darkest because its like lupin said, we encounter magic we never dreamed off. we find out how to make a horcrux and how it can be destroyed. we find out things of our favorite headmaster that seem really surprising. not only that but we see what bagshots body has been put to use. the way malfoy is been used is also hard to believe. there is so much darker stuff in the final book then in all the others. its also the darkest because of the many deaths that we see happen. we lose characters that we have follewed for a long time and have come to love. the final book is the darkest because of the detail, spells used, and deaths.

Old June 14th, 2010, 6:56 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

POA is the darkest movie.

Old June 14th, 2010, 6:58 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

With Deathly Hallows not out, I think I'll go with Order of the Phoenix. Half-Blood Prince is pretty dark, but OOTP just seems darker to me. I think it's because of the humor and romance added to HBP.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old June 14th, 2010, 11:37 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixFelicis89 View Post
In my opinion it's important to distinguish between books and films. You can't say that HBP is the darkest film just because Dumbledore got killed: the 90% of the movie is focused on Lavender and on the love stories. You can say that the sixth book is the darkest one (and I'd completely agree) but the film is not like it.
I couldn't agree more. It seems that people are focusing on single events within the story and not the films themselves. I agree the Half-Blood Prince book was the dark, but not the movie. There was so much comedy and teenage love... the movie as a whole wasn't incredibly dark (which is fine).
I'm going to have to say that the Order of the Phoenix was the darkest film.. From start to finish the movie is dark. From flashbacks of Cedrics death, to torture, to Harry's re-occuring nightmares..

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:33 pm
First Year

I remember being terrified by The Chamber of Secrets at first, I was young and it seemed like such a darker film that it's predecessor.

But, overall, I'd say Half Blood Prince, I personally feel that they do get darker with each instalment.

Old July 10th, 2010, 7:45 am
Second Year

I think that the OOTP was the darkest movie. I agree with the nightmares and the whole Department of Mysteries scenes as pretty creepy. HBP comes in close second but the whole romance and comedic elements kind of ruin the darkness that the book had.

©GryffnSoldier
| USE KNOWLEDGE FOR POWER |
PROUD SLYTHERCLAW

HereThere
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies