Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What mistakes in the films can you just not overlook?

Old October 24th, 2006, 9:03 am
Second Year

Re: Which film drives you mad when reading the book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID824 View Post
If I had to pick a single movie, it would be Goblet of Fire. There were SO MANY things that bothered me about that movie, to list them here would be a painful exercise. But what REALLY bothers me is the differences between the movies. The fat lady should stay the same. The castle should stay the same. Hagrid's hut should stay the same. The Whomping Willow should stay the same. Why does each director feel the need to reinvent the wheel when they make another movie?
yes, i agree here. GoF was the worst of the lot. Choppy, inconsistent (as listed above, though throughout all the other movies too) and I just found the casting for fleur and krum disappointing. Krum in the movie depicted nothing of krum in the book and whilst fleur was a bit closer to the description in the book, simple things like her needing a stronger accent and more haughtiness was lacking. despite her being french!
....i should stop before it gets out of control.

then again, because of the high calibre (australian spelling) of JK's writing, and changing of directors, we were all destined to be disappointed with the movies.

Old October 24th, 2006, 9:15 am
First Year

It's official. I have given up all hope of any future movie even remotely resembling the books on which they are based. The first two movies (kudos to Chris Columbus) were at least as true to the books as a movie can be, but Prizoner of Azkaban turned the whole world upside down and Goblet of Fire seemed to be picking up the pieces.

This movie, as with Prizoner of Azkaban, had exactly the right atmoshpere for the tension, suspense and mystery that the storyline presents. Although unlike Prizoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire progressed far to rapidly for any of it to register. There was no time to even try to figure out who might be setting Harry up or why. There was no time to be concerned about whether or not Harry would figure out the task, because by the time we got around to realizing we should be in suspense, the event was already taking place and then it was over. That's it. That's all she wrote. I left this movie with all my nails still in tact, so to speak.

It all begins with, what do you know, the beginning of the movie. The dream sequence at the Riddle house is accurate enough, with the exception of one small detail... what the heck is Barty Crouch doing there?!?

The Dursleys weren't in it at all, which was to be expected as we were warned before hand that the Dursleys would be absent from this film. Although I would have loved to have seen Dudley's dieting and the scene where the Weasleys come bursting through the Dursley's fireplace and Dudley eats the twins' toffee that makes his tongue swell up like Aunt Marge! Priceless!

The Quidditch World Cup was a disaster. To start off, the Weasleys & co. find the Portkey, and although one of the twins mentions that it is a portkey, no one bothers to say what a portkey is. Once they get to the World Cup, it never happens! The group climbs to the top of the stands, which for the life of me I cannot grasp why they were not in the Ministry Booth as they were in the book, and we see the teams fly out into the stadium and then all of a sudden everyone is back in the tent, the World Cup is over and all hell breaks loose. There is no introduction of Bartemius Crouch or Winky, and we never even get to see the match.

Once all hell breaks loose, Harry is somehow separated from the group and sees someone (Barty Crouch Jr.) conjure the Dark Mark. Now, does someone want to tell me why... WHY?... Barty would stand out in the open where anyone could see him to conjure the Dark Mark? I mean seriously. For all of us book fans, we know he's supposed to be dead... and for those who haven't read the books, it still doesn't make sense why someone who is about to pull one of the most ingeneous hoodwinks ever, would risk it all by standing in the middle of an open field and conjure the Dark Mark.

Once the students get to Hogwarts, they are all standing around watching the Beauxbatons carriage and Durmstrang ships arrive. Why? Who knows? Its not until later, at the opening feast, that Dumbledore tells the students what is going on and why the students from the other schools are there.

Next is the only scene in which the students are actually seen attending class, and features the scene in which Moody demonstrates the Unforgiveable Curses for them. It was a decent scene in which we see Neville obviously bothered by the witnessing of the Cruciatus Curse that landed his parents permanent beds in St. Mungo's.

Its a good thing they decided to leave in two of the funniest scenes in the book:

The Weasley twins' rapid aging courtesy of Dumbledore's age line around the Goblet of Fire and...

Draco Malfoy, the amazing bouncing ferret!!!

Many of the main characters (Malfoy, Snape, McGonagal), however, are vastly underrepresented throughout the movie, much to my disappointment. That, and Viktor Krum says absolutely nothing until the very end of the movie when he asks Hermione to write him over the summer! Although thank God they left out the S.P.E.W. storyline... never cared much for it myself.

And Rita Skeeter was nowhere near as omnipresent and malicious as she was in the book. The only vile (if you can call it that) thing she did was jump in to take a picture of Harry and Hermione as they hugged rather abruptly in the champions' tent before the first task. I'm sitting there thinking 'what the hell? why on earth did they just jump into each others' arms for all of a sudden?'

Back to the plot... so the Goblet of Fire spits out four names instead of three and Ron gets ****** at Harry for entering and not telling him how to get passed the Age Line. This was a major fight between the two of them and it was vastly underplayed.

Dumbledore and the other teachers are concerned that someone entered Harry in order to harm him, and Sirius mentions the same to Harry in the fireplace, but after that, its never mentioned again.

The First Task was not at all the way it was portrayed in the book. Harry spends no time at all trying to figure out how to deal with a dragon. Moody tells Harry that he will have his wand and must play to his strengths. That's it. So Harry just up and decides while dodging the dragon's firey breath to summon his broom and fly... all over the school grounds? What happened to his capture of the golden egg being the fastest?

Next comes the Yule Ball and Harry and Ron, having made up after the First Task, are now tasked with finding dates for the dance. Lord knows where the dance lessons by McGonagal came from! So, Harry decides to ask Cho to the dance at the top of the owlery.

Now, this is only slightly unexpected, as we did see him act rather nervously on the train to Hogwarts when he saw her, but other than that we received no indication whatsoever that he had a major cruch on her. In fact, it was more obvious that Hermione was going to the dance with Krum! There was no doubt whatsoever when she said she had a date already, who she was going with as he had been 'giving her the eye' throughout most of the movie.

When the Ball actually rolls around, it plays out pretty well, although I still can't figure out when and where Harry bought his dress robes for the ball. Ron's mom sent him his and Hermione & Ginny are girls and thus probably brought there's with them or something girly and expectant like that. But Harry? WHo knows? Anyways, Ron's dismissal of Hermione as Krum's date was well played and the scene where Harry and Ron are *****ing about Krum while Padma and Parvati sit slumped in the seats next to them is priceless.

The Second Task played out fairly well, although again, Harry spent all of two minutes trying to figure it out. The hilarious scene with the egg, the Marauder's Map and the Invisibility cloak is missing, unfortunately, which also removes any mystery surrounding Barty Crouch. Said mystery does not begin to appear until the scene in Dumbledore's penseive.

So, anyways, Harry spends about 2 minutes mulling through books before Neville, not Dobby, presents him with gillyweed. The underwater scene is alright although Harry seems to find the mermaids rather quickly. Krum's half shark is quite amusing, I must say.

One of the most disturbing deviations from the book is the scene with Dumbledore's penseive. First, instead of pleading with his father and proclaiming his innocence, Barty just sneers at his father and does some weird thing with his tongue. I have to say, I was quite disappointed with Barty. He was far more 'off his rocker' than the impression I got of him from the book.

Nonetheless, the disturbing part comes after Harry is pulled out of the penseive by Dumbledore and he begins telling Dumbledore about his dream in the Riddle house. As he's telling Dumbledore about the dream he mentions that Voldemort, Barty and Wormtail were there... wait... Wormtail? Does someone want to tell me how on earth Harry knew that Peter Pettigrew was also called Wormtail when the whole backstory of the Marauder's Map was left out of the Prizoner of Azkaban movie?

So anyways, there's about 5 more minutes of movie before we're at the Third Task. The maze itself was incredibly obstacle free, with the exception of a few hedges that tried to either swallow or bury the champions and a bewitched Krum. Boy, its no wonder they got through it so quickly!

The only scene in the movie that was worth any merit was the graveyard scene. Cedric's death was abrupt and unexpected (unless of course you've read the book) and Voldemort was as malicious and deformed as I had imagined him to be. The 'three missing death eaters' speech was left out, but it didn't hurt the scene any. The Priori Incantatem scene was also very powerful and well done.

Once Harry got back to Hogwarts, however, things seemed to go downhill again. The initial scene with him cowering over Cedric's body and Amos Diggory coming out of the stands to find his dead son were well played, but once Moody took Harry away, the movie sped, once again, out of control.

They made a big point of introducing the Vertiaserum earlier in the movie and as big a point of pouring it all down 'Moody's' throat, for what? So Dumbledore could ask him if he was really Moody? And to ask if the real Moody was in the room. They didn't even bother to interrogate him about anything! What the hell?

So then Dumbledore gives his little speech to the students about how Voldemort is back and how he killed Cedric and then what... the next day, as everyone's getting ready to leave Hogwarts, everyone's running around like they haven't got a care in the world! Gee, I guess saying they took the announcement that Voldemort is back in stride would be an understatement.

So Dumbledore finds Harry in his room, packing to go home for the summer when Harry asks him what happened to his and Voldemort's wands in the graveyard and all Dumbledore says is "Ah, Priori Incantatem." He doesn't even bother to explain what that is. So what? Harry's just supposed to say 'Oh, Priori Incantatem. Gee, Dumbledore, thanks a lot for explaining that to me. Now I know why I saw Cedric and my parents. It all makes so much sense now!'

Anyways, being both a movie and a book lover, I understand that some things (S.P.E.W. for example) must be sacrificed in order to make a decent length movie version of said book, but come on. This was just ridiculous. I mean, as with Prizoner of Azkaban, they felt that they had to sacrifice certain parts of the book in order to meet a certain length, but what? They had time to throw in scenes that weren't even in the books?... Shrunken heads anyone?

I will hope that after a few more viewings the movie will grow on me and I will learn to appreciate it as a chapter in a different telling of a story I love. Much like watching Tombstone and then watching Wyatt Earp.

With that, I'm off to re-read Half-Blood Prince... simply because I feel like it.

Old October 24th, 2006, 9:39 am
Sixth Year

The first two movies a little bit, mainly because since they are so much like the books, whenever I read the books I just imagine the movies in my head. With the other books they were better adapted so it wasn't just the book on screen, and I can have my own imagination. I'm not sure if this makes sense but I hope it does.

I'm gonna love you like I'm indestructible

Your love is ultra magnetic and
it's taking over
This is hardcore
And I'm indestructible
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:35 am
First Year

Although POA had left out some key information, I thought that GOF was absolutely butchered. Barty Crouch Sr. plays a tremendous factor in the book, but was just overlooked in the movie. No one knew he was dead in the book til the very end. I also thought that Sirius played a major role in the book also. And also Priori Incantatem wasn't even explained. I also didn't like that the Dark Mark was underrepresented in the movie. Winky was a big factor in the movie, although I was glad that S.P.E.W. was left out. Oh and the Quidditch World Cup was just awful.

Also, I was extremely disappointed to hear that Dobby would not appear in OOTP. I was under the impression that Dobby played some of the key parts in the book.

Dobby gives Harry the Gillyweed before the Second Task (GOF).
Dobby tells Harry about the Room of Requirement (OOTP).
Dobby warns the DA about Umbridge (OOTP).
Dobby and Kreacher tail Malfoy (HBP).

Old October 24th, 2006, 11:42 am
Zonko's Employee

Prisoner of Azkaban. We went from nice movies, again judos to Columbus, then we went to something distorted. I didn't like that. But it doesn't make me go mad

Old October 24th, 2006, 12:31 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
This movie, as with Prizoner of Azkaban, had exactly the right atmoshpere for the tension, suspense and mystery that the storyline presents. Although unlike Prizoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire progressed far to rapidly for any of it to register. There was no time to even try to figure out who might be setting Harry up or why. There was no time to be concerned about whether or not Harry would figure out the task, because by the time we got around to realizing we should be in suspense, the event was already taking place and then it was over. That's it. That's all she wrote. I left this movie with all my nails still in tact, so to speak.
OK, I'll give you that. But on the other hand...the book doubles as a doortstop!

Quote:
It all begins with, what do you know, the beginning of the movie. The dream sequence at the Riddle house is accurate enough, with the exception of one small detail... what the heck is Barty Crouch doing there?!?
I love the sound of convoluted side plots being falling to the floor.

Quote:
The Dursleys weren't in it at all, which was to be expected as we were warned before hand that the Dursleys would be absent from this film. Although I would have loved to have seen Dudley's dieting and the scene where the Weasleys come bursting through the Dursley's fireplace and Dudley eats the twins' toffee that makes his tongue swell up like Aunt Marge! Priceless!
True, true.

Quote:
The Quidditch World Cup was a disaster. To start off, the Weasleys & co. find the Portkey, and although one of the twins mentions that it is a portkey, no one bothers to say what a portkey is.
"Why, why they touched that boot, and immediately appeared in a different location! How can this be? If only I knew what a portkey was, then this scene would make sense! Curse and drat!"

Quote:
Once they get to the World Cup, it never happens! The group climbs to the top of the stands, which for the life of me I cannot grasp why they were not in the Ministry Booth as they were in the book, and we see the teams fly out into the stadium and then all of a sudden everyone is back in the tent, the World Cup is over and all hell breaks loose. There is no introduction of Bartemius Crouch or Winky, and we never even get to see the match.
Ooh, there it goes again! Those sub-plots are dropping like flies! And look, they saved thousands on a redundant action scene!

Quote:
Once all hell breaks loose, Harry is somehow separated from the group and sees someone (Barty Crouch Jr.) conjure the Dark Mark. Now, does someone want to tell me why... WHY?... Barty would stand out in the open where anyone could see him to conjure the Dark Mark? I mean seriously. For all of us book fans, we know he's supposed to be dead... and for those who haven't read the books, it still doesn't make sense why someone who is about to pull one of the most ingeneous hoodwinks ever, would risk it all by standing in the middle of an open field and conjure the Dark Mark.
Yep. Why WOULD Barty Crouch stand right in the middle of the smoking, decimated remains of an open field? He's going to get caught!

Quote:
Once the students get to Hogwarts, they are all standing around watching the Beauxbatons carriage and Durmstrang ships arrive. Why? Who knows? Its not until later, at the opening feast, that Dumbledore tells the students what is going on and why the students from the other schools are there.
Um...................illegal time turners? OK, I've got nothing.

Quote:
Next is the only scene in which the students are actually seen attending class, and features the scene in which Moody demonstrates the Unforgiveable Curses for them. It was a decent scene in which we see Neville obviously bothered by the witnessing of the Cruciatus Curse that landed his parents permanent beds in St. Mungo's.
Amen.

Quote:
Many of the main characters (Malfoy, Snape, McGonagal), however, are vastly underrepresented throughout the movie, much to my disappointment.
Er...main characters?

Quote:
That, and Viktor Krum says absolutely nothing until the very end of the movie when he asks Hermione to write him over the summer!
Too right. I want the old extroverted and chattering Viktor from the books back!

Quote:
Back to the plot... so the Goblet of Fire spits out four names instead of three and Ron gets ****** at Harry for entering and not telling him how to get passed the Age Line. This was a major fight between the two of them and it was vastly underplayed.
Wha...? Underplayed?

Quote:
Dumbledore and the other teachers are concerned that someone entered Harry in order to harm him, and Sirius mentions the same to Harry in the fireplace, but after that, its never mentioned again.
Yep. Who wouldn't love to be burnt, drowned or crushed?

Quote:
The First Task was not at all the way it was portrayed in the book. Harry spends no time at all trying to figure out how to deal with a dragon. Moody tells Harry that he will have his wand and must play to his strengths. That's it. So Harry just up and decides while dodging the dragon's firey breath to summon his broom and fly... all over the school grounds? What happened to his capture of the golden egg being the fastest?
Isn't that kind of, y'know, non-cinematic? As in...dare I say it?...boring?

Quote:
Next comes the Yule Ball and Harry and Ron, having made up after the First Task, are now tasked with finding dates for the dance. Lord knows where the dance lessons by McGonagal came from!
But dance lessons= funny!

Quote:
When the Ball actually rolls around, it plays out pretty well, although I still can't figure out when and where Harry bought his dress robes for the ball. Ron's mom sent him his and Hermione & Ginny are girls and thus probably brought there's with them or something girly and expectant like that. But Harry? WHo knows?
The wardrobe store?

Quote:
Anyways, Ron's dismissal of Hermione as Krum's date was well played and the scene where Harry and Ron are *****ing about Krum while Padma and Parvati sit slumped in the seats next to them is priceless.
Best part of the movie, in fact.

Quote:
Nonetheless, the disturbing part comes after Harry is pulled out of the penseive by Dumbledore and he begins telling Dumbledore about his dream in the Riddle house. As he's telling Dumbledore about the dream he mentions that Voldemort, Barty and Wormtail were there... wait... Wormtail? Does someone want to tell me how on earth Harry knew that Peter Pettigrew was also called Wormtail when the whole backstory of the Marauder's Map was left out of the Prizoner of Azkaban movie?
It was on the Marauder's Map, wasn't it?

Quote:
The Priori Incantatem scene was also very powerful and well done.
Really? This was one of the scenes that looked just a little cheesy to me...

Needless to say, I might have a slightly different opinion about GoF than you do.

Last edited by Xenophanes; October 24th, 2006 at 12:35 pm.
Old October 24th, 2006, 12:54 pm
Second Year

GOF for me. Even though it was a good movie, they left out even more than usual... like the quidditch word cup. but so much was changed, like the sequences in the third task... it was just annoying!

Old October 24th, 2006, 5:29 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoonibWazley View Post
Two things, though:

The willow emphasized the theme of time in POA by showing it in the various seasons.

Also, if the willow hadn't been seen earlier in the film, then it wouldn't have made any sense when the Trio encounter it.
It only needed to be shown once. And there already is enough conceptual symbolism for time in the film.

Old October 24th, 2006, 5:47 pm
Fifth Year

None of them. I liked COS the most because of Lockhart. The films are mediocre but it doesn't bother me because it's not as if most people don't recognise this already. I just watch them and I know they don't stick to canon anymore so I like to think of them as just movies separate from the books. In fact, I think at some point they should just divorce themselves from the books altogether but continue to keep the name like A Walk to Remember did. It's time to stop going to these movies expecting them to be half as good as the books and nitpicking everything and just appreciate them as movies in themselves.

...and then she was kissing him as she had never kissed him before, and Harry was kissing her back, and it was blissful oblivion, better than firewhiskey; she was the only real thing in the world, Ginny, the feel of her, one hand on her back and one in her long, sweet-smelling hair ---

Interviewer: Why did you make Quirrell the bad guy instead of Snape?
JKR: Because I know all about Snape, and he wasn't about to put on a turban.

I lurves Professor Snape

Signature by Asha
Old October 24th, 2006, 6:39 pm
First Year

I like the PoA movie better than any of the others, but I will say that everytime I watch it, I remember what a great book it is. The movie didn't do the book justice, but in my opinion it had a much better feel than SS and CoS. CoS makes me want to pull out my eyes. It is the worst movie for me.

Last edited by element_of_one; October 24th, 2006 at 6:41 pm. Reason: I needed to add on.
Old October 24th, 2006, 7:58 pm
First Year

POA for me. It wasn't just that they left so much out, its that non-readers didn't know enough to know that important stuff was missing! My husband never even noticed that the Map wasn't explained, and couldn't figure out why I was upset about it. I had to explain to him that the rat, the criminal, and the teacher/werewolf were friends of Harry's dad. So not only was I annoyed once because of what was missing, I was annoyed a second time because I had to explain why I was annoyed!

I also didn't care for the "artsy" look to some of the scenes. I actually wished someone would take a chainsaw to the Whomping Willow!

But what drives me the maddest about that movie is that it actually confused me. Now I can't remember if Harry really noticed "Peter Pettigrew" on the Map. And if so, did Harry really mention it to Lupin? Urg!

Old October 24th, 2006, 8:03 pm
Fourth Year

Harry seeing Pettigrew on the map is actually a good thing. Movies must show, not tell. The book has Lupin tell that he saw Pettigrew on the map, which wouldn't work on film. The movie must show this, and it does it in a very effective way, because Harry expresses his doubts about the map's accuracy, and we can see Lupin's horror that Pettigrew was still alive.

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old October 24th, 2006, 8:27 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by folly54 View Post
None of them. I liked COS the most because of Lockhart. The films are mediocre but it doesn't bother me because it's not as if most people don't recognise this already. I just watch them and I know they don't stick to canon anymore so I like to think of them as just movies separate from the books. In fact, I think at some point they should just divorce themselves from the books altogether but continue to keep the name like A Walk to Remember did. It's time to stop going to these movies expecting them to be half as good as the books and nitpicking everything and just appreciate them as movies in themselves.
I agree. I used to want to nitpick the movies to death, but then I thought what's the point? Movies are completely different from books and as the books get longer, the harder it is to stick to everything in canon. I just enjoy them for being movies, not a play by play of the book.
There are always going to be things I wished they kept from the books, but I don't hate the movies because of it.

Old October 24th, 2006, 8:35 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelMe View Post
I also didn't care for the "artsy" look to some of the scenes. I actually wished someone would take a chainsaw to the Whomping Willow!
God forbid someone brought acutal artistic vision into a Harry Potter movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlegoddess
It's official. I have given up all hope of any future movie even remotely resembling the books on which they are based. The first two movies (kudos to Chris Columbus) were at least as true to the books as a movie can be, but Prizoner of Azkaban turned the whole world upside down and Goblet of Fire seemed to be picking up the pieces.
This makes no sense because everything that was in the movies was in the books. Sirius breaking out of Azkaban, Dementors effect on Harry, Remus teaching Harry Expecto Patronum, Scabbers=Pettigrew, Crookshanks, Firebolt, Time-turner, Whomping Willow, Shireking Shack, Buckbeak, Maurauder's Map... none of that was in the book?
Quote:
Originally Posted by riddlegoddess
Does someone want to tell me how on earth Harry knew that Peter Pettigrew was also called Wormtail when the whole backstory of the Marauder's Map was left out of the Prizoner of Azkaban movie?
Well doesn't Voldemort call Peter, Wormtail? I haven't seen the movie in a while but I'm pretty sure he refers to Peter as Wormtail so is it any suprise he knows the name? But this movie did a poor job at assuming the audience knew things. They shouldn't have expected audiences to remember things from previous movies (such as Polyjuice and Moaning Myrtle) which only confused people more.

Old October 24th, 2006, 8:46 pm
Fourth Year

Originally Posted by snugglepot View Post
PoA, definately!
When I read the Shrieking Shack scene and in the book it's Hermione sitting down terified and shaking, whilst Ron tries to stand on his broken leg between Harry and Sirius and says that line, "If you want to kill Harry....."
Then you look at the movie version!
Why is that ever important? The problem shown in this is that if we give it to Ron, then wouldn't it be a tad out of character for him (movie wise) when this guy who's generally the comedic foil, suddenly grows a backbone and defends Harry? Ron has proven himself to be brave in PS as well with CoS. No need to revisit it in PoA considering that he doesn't actually do anything to help Harry in the end.

so you're saying they should continue ther mistake and make hermione look so much braver in this movie? ron was done a lot better in GoF....was that such a problem? Ron may be the comedic foil, as you put it, but he also has a backbone.....why give his lines to hermione to make him sound weaker? and if he really was brave in the first two....then why do you say it would be a tad out of character? if they'd given him his lines all throughout the movie it would have been better....PoA was the first movie where he was really shown as weak......it's just trying to make hermione better than him? It makes no sense! The character's are shown as very one-dimensional in the films...and there's no need for it.

Besides.......isn't the fact that ron isn't able to help harry in the end a sign that he should be given more of the braver lines earlier on, when he can?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
I agree. I used to want to nitpick the movies to death, but then I thought what's the point? Movies are completely different from books and as the books get longer, the harder it is to stick to everything in canon. I just enjoy them for being movies, not a play by play of the book.
There are always going to be things I wished they kept from the books, but I don't hate the movies because of it.
i can see your point, but for the obvious things such as how ron and hermione are done, i think they could have easily kept to canon and done them like they're supppsoed to...i still loved GoF even though it was SOOO different, because the cahracterisation was finally getting somewhere.

Last edited by MissHufflepuff; October 24th, 2006 at 8:49 pm.
Old October 24th, 2006, 9:05 pm
First Year

Both PoA and GoF.
PoA- At the beginning, we see Harry performing the Lumos Maxima spell in his bedroom. What happened to the "no magic outside of school" rule? Other reasons have already been mentioned several times by other people.
GoF- I would have liked to have seen the Quidditch world cup. And I wondered why Harry was wearing Red and Black at the World cup, when I thought he was supporting the Irish? Also I wanted to see the scene of terror in the woods during the death eater's march. This movie just seemed so rushed...

Old October 24th, 2006, 9:09 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHufflepuff View Post
for the obvious things such as how ron and hermione are done, i think they could have easily kept to canon and done them like they're supppsoed to...i still loved GoF even though it was SOOO different, because the cahracterisation was finally getting somewhere.
Ron and Hermione serve as the comedic and serious foil respectively but in the books they are given moments where they are not entirely comedic or serious. Translating that to film requires sacrifices, mainly making Ron 100% comedic foil and Hermione 100% serious foil. If Ron is comedic 95% of the time and then given a few serious moment, those few serious moment would seem out of character for him and vice versa for Hermione. Their characters were changed for clarity and emphasis.

Old October 24th, 2006, 10:17 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Squall View Post
Ron and Hermione serve as the comedic and serious foil respectively but in the books they are given moments where they are not entirely comedic or serious. Translating that to film requires sacrifices, mainly making Ron 100% comedic foil and Hermione 100% serious foil. If Ron is comedic 95% of the time and then given a few serious moment, those few serious moment would seem out of character for him and vice versa for Hermione. Their characters were changed for clarity and emphasis.
That is why people complain that the characters are cariacatures or one dimensional and unrealistic and does an injustice to the characters created by Jo. I have to agree.

...and then she was kissing him as she had never kissed him before, and Harry was kissing her back, and it was blissful oblivion, better than firewhiskey; she was the only real thing in the world, Ginny, the feel of her, one hand on her back and one in her long, sweet-smelling hair ---

Interviewer: Why did you make Quirrell the bad guy instead of Snape?
JKR: Because I know all about Snape, and he wasn't about to put on a turban.

I lurves Professor Snape

Signature by Asha
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:38 pm
Fourth Year

The movies don't particularly bother me because I see them as nothing but a cash cow for WB, and therefore mere entertainment. The books are the heart and soul of HP, and the movies will never change that.

Having said that, PoA is the most interesting from a cinematic viewpoint, while CoS simply bores the pants off me. Then again, all of Chris Columbus's work is lamo.

Old October 24th, 2006, 10:40 pm
First Year

Yeah I agree...the only thing is there were some scenes in the book, that werent in the movies like how Hermione got Crookshanks, but the directors must've thought that that scene really wasn't imperative.

(My MWPP Era fanfic)

Remember 9/11-NEVER forget

United We Stand
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies