Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Reactions of Non-readers to the HBP movie

Old July 18th, 2009, 2:50 am
First Year

Re: Reactions of Non-readers

I went with my parents. My dad hasn't read any of the books, and he thought it was the best movie in the series yet.

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2009, 3:24 am
Second Year

All of the people I went with (a few of whom hadn't read the books) felt that the movie was very confusing. They were asking tons of questions about what the horcruxes were and what the memories had to do with anything. They came out of the movie thinking that it was good, but that it didn't seem like a stand alone movie. One of my friends said it felt like the end was too random and abrupt, it didn't really have an adequate resolution for them.

Old July 18th, 2009, 3:31 am
First Year

I brought my best friend along, who hasn't read any of the books and recently just finished all of the movies because I wouldn't let her watch HBP without alteast some prior knowledge if she didn't want to read the books.

She understood the plot a bit and liked the action scenes but didn't understand the importance of the "Half Blood Prince" and questioned me why it was even the title of the movie. I had to quietly explain a few parts of the film to her, like DD drinking that horrible potion near the end of the movie. "Why can't harry just throw that potion out of the cup?" was the one question that she asked that made me upset because it should of been obvious that harry nor dumbledore could just scoop the liquid out.

Overall, I think she enjoyed the movie. She loved the comedy parts, balancing out the dark parts of the film. Half of the movie though, she had to pee really bad but I wouldn't let her go to the bathroom and miss all of the important parts, like the funeral that I thought she would miss if she went to relieve herself. Oh well

~92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.~
Old July 18th, 2009, 10:28 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaWeasley View Post
She got confused about a few points--she thought Draco was trying to kill Harry, not Dumbledore, but I think it was supposed to be unclear what Draco's mission truly was.
If I remember correctly, this was the reaction of most of us when we first read it. We knew Draco had been assigned to kill someone, but weren't sure if it was Dumbledore or Harry. I thought they made it really obvious in the film that he was supposed to kill Dumbledore, so it's interesting she'd reach the same hypotheses us book readers reached.

Old July 18th, 2009, 11:53 am
First Year

I've read the books, but from a film viewpoint alone, putting aside any bias for the books, this is how I saw it:

The film was choppy. It was choppy in the Order and it was choppy now. My friends who went to see it with me commented on this, remarking it was all over the place. At the best of times it seemed like it was zig-zagging, too fast for its own good ( although a marked improvement on the Order that was even more choppy, ultimately making it poor)

It feels like the film makers are in a constant rush to just get on with the movie, that they don't savour it. This is a major criticism and the films major flaw. Is it David Yates that is to blame? I don't know. It started out alright, but when they went to the Weasleys, you are left wondering, what the hell? Like somebody said, they presume you know what's happening, leaving no room for explaining why they left Hogwarts all of a sudden to go to the Weasley's.

Also, the fighting scenes were much to be desired. The film makers stated that the burrow scene made up for the lack of fighting at the end of the movie. It was rather boring and certainly not worthy of making up for the lack of the main fight at the end. What was the point?

Finally, the absence of a proper send off for Hogwarts and Dumbledore is laughable. Even if you haven't read the books, you feel like the last scene was half-assed and once again, way too quick. It lacked emotion when they were on top of the tower. It was like the trio were sad to go, but that it was no big deal. You'd swear they'd only spent a month there, when you bear in mind that Hogwarts was Harry's REAL first home. Yates doesn't seem to get it, neither does Heyman. The film was good, but it could have been great, if it weren't for a few really bad decisions. You feel kinda robbed.

Last edited by WhispWillow; July 18th, 2009 at 12:02 pm.
Old July 18th, 2009, 8:42 pm
Fourth Year

my sister is a non-reader and she was confused about the movie...i'm not exactly sure what about, but she said it confused her.

Imagination is not only the uniquely human capacity to envision that which is not, and therefore the fount of all invention and innovation. In its arguably most transformative and revelatory capacity, it is the power that enables us to empathise with humans whose experiences we have never shared.-JK Rowling
Old July 18th, 2009, 9:29 pm
Third Year

This is somewhat a reaction from a non-reader, my brother and his girlfriend went and while they were in line she decided that she was going to tell him that someone kills Dumbledore because while she was at church some little girl came up to her and said Dumbledore gets killed and she couldn't hold it in anymore and decided she HAD to tell him...needless to say he wasn't very happy going in to the movie so it kind of ruined his opinion of the movie and he felt it was drawn out too much

Proud member of

-She is the definition of perfect-
Old July 19th, 2009, 1:53 am
Second Year

I went with my family and a few friends. My sister has never read the books and doesn't like any of the other movies, but for some reason she really liked this one! She was laughing a lot during it, when normally she sits there bored or even sleeping! She says it was a lot more interesting than all of the other movies.

Old July 19th, 2009, 3:27 am
Second Year

My non-reader friend said she liked it but didn't understand what the potions book had to do with anything.

Proud owner of Emerson's autograph.
Old July 19th, 2009, 4:22 am
Second Year

I went with my mom, who hasn't read the books, and she screamed at the part when the inferi grabbed Harry's hand. Right before, she was like, "He's not supposed to get the water! He's not supposed to get the water!" And then, I was waiting for the inferi to grab Harry's hand, and I jumped when they did but my mom actually screamed, and the boys next to us were laughing so hard. So was I. And my mom totally missed that Dumbledore died at first. While Harry was fighting Snape after the Death Eaters burned Hagrid's house down, my mom was like, "Wait, did Dumbledore just die?" and I was like, "Yeah! Did you seriously miss that?"

Old July 19th, 2009, 4:45 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanduhrae View Post
I went with my mom, who hasn't read the books, and she screamed at the part when the inferi grabbed Harry's hand. Right before, she was like, "He's not supposed to get the water! He's not supposed to get the water!" And then, I was waiting for the inferi to grab Harry's hand, and I jumped when they did but my mom actually screamed, and the boys next to us were laughing so hard. So was I. And my mom totally missed that Dumbledore died at first. While Harry was fighting Snape after the Death Eaters burned Hagrid's house down, my mom was like, "Wait, did Dumbledore just die?" and I was like, "Yeah! Did you seriously miss that?"

hahahah that all is truly priceless I would of loved to of witnessed that, the 3rd time I saw the film just about every single person in the theater screamed which then made me jump.

Proud member of

-She is the definition of perfect-
Old July 19th, 2009, 5:34 am
Third Year

My little sister has never read the books, but I have told her some things about them, so she already knew Dumbledore died.
At any rate, I asked her what she thought, and she liked it. She wasn't confused about anything, and the only question she had was why Snape killed Dumbledore.

Chamber of Secrets
Always

Avatar by samelthecamel, found here
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:08 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Two of the friends I went with to see the movie haven't ever read the books. They understood and enjoyed the movie very much and are planning to read the books

They sort of connected well with the film and told me that they love HBP best One of them was crying when Dumbledore died.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:39 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
Two of the friends I went with to see the movie haven't ever read the books. They understood and enjoyed the movie very much and are planning to read the books

They sort of connected well with the film and told me that they love HBP best One of them was crying when Dumbledore died.
More converts

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old July 19th, 2009, 12:16 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape/Trapdoor Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post

Really! My friends are also tempted into reading the book but for completely opposite reason. They didn't understand the plot that well especially the whole R.A.B. part and my friends are supposed to be champs of 'Data Interpretation' and that's why they want to read the book. Anything that works...

I cried, when I saw the "It all ends!" banner!!

But now I know, it never will....
Old July 19th, 2009, 12:53 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
More converts
Indeed Mission Accomplished

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshnimbus View Post
Really! My friends are also tempted into reading the book but for completely opposite reason. They didn't understand the plot that well especially the whole R.A.B. part and my friends are supposed to be champs of 'Data Interpretation' and that's why they want to read the book. Anything that works...
I agree. Anything that makes them read the books is great. One of my friends asked me if the book would be as good as the HBP movie And I told her that the book is brilliant and way better

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old July 19th, 2009, 4:35 pm
Zonko's Employee

I saw the film again last night (this was my second viewing ) with some Tolkien fans.

They've all read the HP books so they knew what was coming.

They all liked the film. There was a lot of laughter from them at Snape's put-downs and Lavender's delirious love-struck silliness.

We discussed the film a bit afterwards and nobody had anything negative to say about it.

-edit-

Ummm, silly me, I have misunderstood this thread. I thought it was non-FANS, but it's about the reactions of non-READERS.

So disregard the above, it's off-topic.

Old July 19th, 2009, 4:38 pm
Second Year

Some have told me that they believe snape and Dumbledore set up his death.

Old July 19th, 2009, 4:44 pm
Sixth Year

I went with my mom, and she did get confused about the Horcruxes and the memories. She was all, "well, what ARE they looking for???" I think an explanation of how Voldemort liked using certain "treasures" as Horcruxes would have helped--at least less people would be under the impression that Harry was going to have to look through all sorts of junk to find Voldemort's soul pieces.

And she was really disappointed with Dumbledore's death scene. There was no suspense, no tension, no emotion at all, according to her. Sadly, most if not all of the people in the theater today (myself included) left with dry eyes...

"No trial, no error, no ability to conceptualize. Perfection would make us obsolete. Many magnificent things have been, and will continue to come into existence. And yet every last one of them will fall short of perfection's finish. Our function as men of science relies on their many shortcomings. Then, and only then, can we apply the fruits of our labor."--Mayuri Kurotsuchi, Bleach
Old July 19th, 2009, 5:07 pm
First Year

I went with my Dad, and he pretty much got the film, but then there was a long discussion in the car home explaining to him about DH. He wanted to know if Snape was a 'baddie' and basically everything else got divulged from there!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies