Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Old March 6th, 2007, 5:13 pm
Snape Lover

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
It is very difficult to lecture my relatives on the matter, considering they always ask the questions that have not been answered by JKR. It is fun, but tiresome.
Exactly! I come on here so much that I forget that the average HP 'fan' doesn't keep up with all the details and news. I spent almost an hour trying to explain to my sister (who's read the books once) why Snape is really good but you can forget about trying to get into the invisibility cloak or the unbreakable vow etc. I think you have to be submerged before you even care about such things

I think the biggest thing from the films that I've had to explain was to do with POA since the entire storyline was rather muddled and the Marauder's background was unclear.

Old March 6th, 2007, 5:27 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Yeah, I've had to explain random things. Like:
The whole "how Tom Riddle came out of the diary" thing.
Who's house Voldemort was in at the begining of GoF.
The Mr. Crouch, Barty Jr. thing really took a lot of explaining.
I've also had to tell my friends that some things that bothered them weren't in the books at all. The biggest thing was the entrances of the other schools in GoF. Nobody liked the dancing, fire breathing, stick banging, butterfly antics.

Old March 6th, 2007, 6:10 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore4965 View Post
My dad is HORRIBLE for this, expecially if he sits down in the laast 5 minutes of ANY movie and wants you to catch him up from the beginning AND explain the life stories of every person in the films. I've tried to get him to read the HP books to no avail, but after telling him to sit there and look pretty for the last 5 min of SS, I restarted the movie and he was able to watch it from the beginning. After that I created another HP Film nut! He's 60 years old and really enjoys the movies, his fav is probably COS because of the car but he has started getting friends of his to watch the HP movies as well. He would probably get more out of the movies if he were to read the books, but at least he has started to follow the series from the start so he is getting to know the characters and their stories.
that's pretty good! at least he's stil a fan! shows that the films can't be that bad!

Old March 9th, 2007, 4:01 pm
First Year

My parents are terrible about it. I tried to make them watch GOF the other day, and they didn't understand anything, lol. The Moody stuff particularly confused them too. And my father asked me why there was a rock band at Hogwarts
My mum liked PoA, but she was confused about the Pettigrew thing...

My friends are okay, though, but I still have to explain things to them.

"And Harry Potter's now having an argument with his Keeper. I don't think that'll help him find the snitch, but maybe it's a clever ruse..."Luna Lovegood
Old March 10th, 2007, 1:55 am
Second Year

Er-everything, really. I know my father dosen't understand a thing that's happening but, bless him, dosen't ask a single question. Just sits there looking all confused. Same for my brother as well. Must be hereditary .

I don't really blame them, though. If you haven't read the books you're sort-of hopeless...

My youngest brother though, arghh! He's starting to get into hp, and I'm reading the books to him (He's only 7, have mercy) and teaching him the spells, you know, the usual. But he asks the largest questions!

Example:"WHY DID VOLDEMORT WANT TO KILL HARRY?"

Well, then I have to explain to a 7 year old, in words he'll understand, horcruxes, the prophecy, what Godric's Hollow is... Yeah. It does take a while.

<3

Last edited by chocolatefrog99; March 10th, 2007 at 2:00 am.
Old March 10th, 2007, 4:40 am
Second Year

nothing... just don't go telling me that the movie sucks... I'll sl*p the books in their face... It's so irritating.... <grins><haha>

Old March 10th, 2007, 5:12 pm
First Year

I have to explain the history of the characters. Like Neville and how he came to live with his grandparents, Voldemort and how we went bad, Dumbledore, how harry got his scar. Which is a DEAD GIVEAWAY in the first movie.

I.Love.You.
Old March 10th, 2007, 5:19 pm
Third Year

The hardest thing to explain is why Voldemort wanted to kill Harry, and how he keeps coming back and everything. Also, about the diary too.
Becuase then you have to get into this long rant about how Tom Riddle made these Horcruxes, after he killed his relatives, and so on...

Old March 10th, 2007, 5:31 pm
BANNED... No really they are...

PS/SS: Didn't have to explain anything. This one wasn't as confusing as others, and I started with the movies and not the books. So, I didn't have to explain anything.

CoS: Didn't like it as much as the first, but wasn't at all confused.

PoA: I watched this movie before reading the book, and I was so lost. My sisters, who had read the books before me, tried to explain how Lupin knew the Marauders map was a map, why Sirius said to Snape to go back and play with his chemistry set, and some other things I can't remember right at the moment. Ironically, it is my favorite of the four.

GoF: I didn't really have to explain much to my mother, except for certain things. For example, what was gillyweed, and the foe glass, etc.

I have to admit, PoA was the most confusing for me. My sisters had to explain quite a lot to me.

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Old March 10th, 2007, 7:46 pm
Curse Breaker

After the first two movies, to give the 3rd film a chance.

Nothing for the 3rd movie, except whether it was explained in the book how Harry survived the Dementor attack if his survival depended on him already surviving. (Most of them already knew different time travel theory; they were just wondering if it was made explicit.)

For the 4th movie, the question was what analogue of an "egg" was cut from the second task on the assumption that the 2nd task set up the 3rd in the same way that the 1st set up the 2nd; then the question was why it was retained!

However, after the 3rd movie, I did not have to explain to people that good films were coming: PoA hooked them. Most of them have never seen Chamber, however, and have no interest in doing so. (I already told them that everything important about Chamber will be summarized in one line in a future movie.)

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old March 10th, 2007, 10:41 pm
First Year

Are you kidding? Seven people live in my household and I'm the only that has ever read the books. When I watch the movies I'm always pointing out the things that are different from the books and people think it's annoying after a little while. Not very many people at my school have read them either. You're almost considered a dork if you read them.

Old March 18th, 2007, 12:27 pm
Fifth Year

i watched GoF with my mum the other day.....she kept asking little questions like:
"why did he (moody) point a direction out to harry?"
"is he (Mr . crouch) a baddie?"
"does hermione fancy harry?" (when she asked this i just stared at her and said "no...she likes ron" and she said "what! really?? how did you know that and i was like "have you not picked up on any of the signs? its a bit obvious!")

when i watched PoA with her she asked little questions like:
"is he (lupin) a bad guy?"
"Does he die" (i told her nobody dies in this film and then about 5 mins later...."does he die?" and i was like *sigh*
she asked why the dementors liked to go after harry...and i said to her "well as the film says "because there are true horrors in your past that the others dont have" and then she was like.."what horrors? but why do they like him?" and i go "His Mum and Dad are dead!". and then once we got to the part when lupin tells harry why the dementors like him (in almost the exact words i told her) she goes "oh so theres my answer" and i looked at her and said "i told you those exact words just now!"

even though she had only seen PoA when it came out in the cinema..when i watched it with her she kept remembering tiny little things that werent important. like:
when aunt marge was about to blow up she siad "this is the part where she blows up isnt it and i was like "yea...how did you know that" and she just goes "ive seen it before" and i was thinking *yea about 3 years ago*

also when harry and hermione have gone back in time and the bit where hermione goes "is that really what my hair looks like from the back?" i said to her "i love this bit its really funny" and then she said to me "is it the bit with her hair" and i stared and said "how the HELL did you remember that?!"

"The tank is empty let it dry,
I'm suffering.
A passion ending,
So the world ceases turning."

Last edited by popcornzyum; March 18th, 2007 at 1:22 pm.
Old March 18th, 2007, 12:53 pm
Seventh Year

me and my mother have read the books, but when we watch them on dvd...shes always asking whos he...what does he do...does he die???? its fustrating...my sister just has no idea whats happening at all......my father......lets not get started about him...lol. i had to explain the whole of the poa to my family.... the only reason they know about the first two movies is cos i stuck the soundtracks on in the car when we were going on holiday and kept on saying ' on this is where...oh here....oh harry here...etc' you get the point...

Old March 19th, 2007, 11:32 am
Fifth Year

There were a couple of things from POA and GOF that the people not reading the books couldn't understand. But bless them, they waited until the movie was over before asking the questions.

Tarot Cards for Fun and Fortune Telling

Someone who spoiled Deathly Hallows

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old March 21st, 2007, 6:01 am
First Year

Considering out a family of 8, me and my younger sister Sara are the HP freaks. So yes, we end up having to explain a lot. I mean just some of the minor details can be a pain. Because you keep thinking "Just read the bloody book!" So you get tired of having to explain what's what, and what does what, and what something meant. You know...ugh. Infuriating.

Especially when you have to explain it 40-50 times.

And Priori Incantatem was a big one. I had loads of time to talk about that to my brother and sisters with Sara.

Who wants to be a ferret? I do! I do!

I'm a sneaky, no-good slytherin! And proud of it...^^

"Scared Potter?"
"You..wish."
Old March 21st, 2007, 10:33 pm
First Year

I've actually gave up trying to explain things to my
husband who has only seen the films and doesn't see what
all the fuss is about!!??

We watched GoF together at Christmas on DVD and I
ended up switching it off because every five minutes he
would ask another question!

I have told him a thousand times to read the books
but he wont listen! aaargh he drives me mad!

(sorry rant over :

Debs xxx

Old March 21st, 2007, 10:40 pm
Second Year

It goes like this;
Mum, Harry's the one with the glasses, no dad Hermione's the girl, Yes those are twins, No that gigantic spider is not scary, and so on.

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.
Visit this website
godisimaginary.com/index.htm
Old March 22nd, 2007, 3:37 am
First Year

Some people have asked me why Harry has an 'N' on his forehead.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 6:01 am
Third Year

Well, I never watch the movies with anyone who hasn't read the books because all my friends have read the books. Well, most of them. The main exception is my friend Gabby, but I only met her this year and there obviously hasn't been any new movies this year. She's seen all the movies, but hasn't read the books. This isn't exactly the same thing, but in gym class I just ramble on about Harry Potter to her explaining all these little details. For some reason, she actually likes listening to it. I don't know why, but she does. Usually, I'm half talking to myself because she'll be listening, but I'll go off on some random detail, a theory half-formed in my mind before going back and explaining it to her.

Do you like The Daily Show with Jon Stewart? Then visit my petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/daily135/petition.html and sign your name to get the earlier episodes released on DVD!

Save the Canon at http://community.livejournal.com/sporkhpmovie

I'm engaged to Remus Lupin!!!
Old March 23rd, 2007, 7:27 am
First Year

A friend recently asked to watch the movies. So we had a movie-marathon day. SS and CoS she basically took for face value, didn't really question much of anything. There were a few questions in PoA about the map, the petronus stag and how is it that LV keeps coming back after he's been defeated at different intervals.

Proud Member of The Pottermore Battalion
Brave Member of The BloodSnitch Legion
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Pottermore : TBA!
Harry Potter and the Week Without Sleep
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies