Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Old February 27th, 2007, 3:28 am
Second Year

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

yeah prior incantatem. stag. marauders. snape in general. why the whole harry is alive thing is such a big deal. neville. pretty much everything.

Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2007, 4:03 am
Second Year

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozenone View Post
Actually most of my friends haven't read any of the books and they understand everything well. Alot of things us book fans notice they don't even think about actually and the only time I had to explain something is if I brough it up first. One thing thats really funny...yet weird..is one of my friends figured the whole Prior Incantatum thing without me explaining it. He was like "Did that happen because they have the same core like they said in the first movie?"...so nah the movies do a good job, I keep telling them there's soooo much more but they're movie fans and that's how they like it.
The same thing happened with me and I was very surprised. My friend had never read any of the books and after we saw GOF in the theater, we watched SS on DVD and when it showed Harry receiving his wand, he suddenly understood that entire Priori scene.

Old February 28th, 2007, 9:59 am
Fifth Year

I hadn't picked up a HP book until a week before Philosopher's Stone was to start in OZ. By the time I'd seen the movie I was half way through Azkaban.
Yes, Azkaban was hard to follow to someone who'd never read the books, I mean, it didn't even make much sense to me, even though I knew the story!

Old February 28th, 2007, 10:14 pm
Fourth Year

Why Harry keeps going back to the Dursleys every summer. My Dad just doesn't get it and when I explain it he says that its sounds like "something that was thought up at the last minute because the author realized it was a problem".

*sigh*

I can't explain things well and he refuses to read the books.

Old February 28th, 2007, 11:02 pm
Second Year

I'm lucky enough to be engaged to someone who reads...so we see the films together and no explaining necessary. Although there are heated discussions about everything that's left out...he's not quite as obessive as me, though...
When my dad was forced to watch PS on christmas day ages ago, during the quidditch match when snape was doing his incantation he said, 'so is he the villain?' Ah, the subject of hours of speculation...welcome to our world...

"Go tell the world I'm still around. I didn't fly, I'm coming down."
Old March 1st, 2007, 12:51 am
McMugwump Supreme

I usually explain that the books are more detailed and engrossing than the films. While my friends and family who don't read the books don't have any trouble enjoying the films, I think they miss out on the subtler nuances that make the books so wonderful.

I try, rather unsuccessfully, to explain why I love the books, but end up sounding a little bit crazy. Oh well.

Lunch was six dollars and thirty-one cents at the Lamplighter Inn, that's on Highway Two near Lewis Fork.
That was a tuna fish sandwich on whole wheat, slice of cherry pie, and a cup of coffee.
Damn good food. Diane, if you ever get up this way that cherry pie is worth a stop.

Old March 1st, 2007, 3:57 am
First Year

That this (the movies) is only (really) the TIP of the iceberg and that they should go and read the books if they have the slightest interest in their film version.
The books are the work of a genius while the movies are barely mediocre (PS: I studied literature and cinema in University so I have a reasonable understanding of both).

CW

Old March 1st, 2007, 4:06 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath2 View Post
I'm lucky enough to be engaged to someone who reads...so we see the films together and no explaining necessary. Although there are heated discussions about everything that's left out...he's not quite as obessive as me, though...
When my dad was forced to watch PS on christmas day ages ago, during the quidditch match when snape was doing his incantation he said, 'so is he the villain?' Ah, the subject of hours of speculation...welcome to our world...
Oh my God!!! My dad is the same way!!! Every movie (I make him go to the premieres with me ) he always says "Oh, now Snape is showing his true colors." This was BEFORE HBP, which by the way, he read the ending in the PX gasping loudly while fellow muggles around us wished desperately to have the ability to hex him! ...so now my dad is convinced he's evil incarnate...and I will never hear the end of it!!!

Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose.
- Tom Krause

If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.
- Winnie the Pooh
Old March 1st, 2007, 4:59 am
Fourth Year

I always try to encourage them to read the books first. This way they know what is going on and what certain words mean. There is NOTHING more annoying than someone who doesn't know the story and LOUDLY ask "What is she talking about?" "What on earth does he have a zig-zag scar on his forehead?"
The other reason I encourage them to read the books, especially SS BEFORE renting the movie is you get to see the INSPIRATION behind the movies. You get to see how closely Hogwarts,
Last year I went with a friend to see "Memoirs of a Geisha" and she asked question after question. She was really loud and people were looking at her. Some even "shhed" her. Needless to say my rule of thumb is I don't take someone to this type of movie unless they've read the book or know the background to the story. You also get to see the Characters and what they look like in your eye. This way you can see why they hired the Actors they now use in the movie, etc.

I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!
Old March 1st, 2007, 6:37 am
Second Year

The Marauders map. My mother and one of my good friends were so confused about how Remus and Sirius knew about it. The movie never even explains who Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs are. Along those same lines, I had to explain why it was significant that Harry's patronus was a stag.

Sort of a side note: a friend told me one day he thought he knew one of the people who was going to die in the last book. He's only seen the movies, and he said he thought Neville because he was a side character who didn't matter much to the plot line. I just sort of looked at him funny (my husband, who reads but isn't as into them as I am, burst out laughing), and then said "I think you should read the books and then decide if Neville's an important character."

Last edited by nevillesgal; March 1st, 2007 at 6:41 am.
Old March 1st, 2007, 10:33 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I've been reading the books to my three year old since she was about 10 months old so she knows the stories inside out. But when she watches the films with me, for the first time on DVD, I explain things and talk her through the scary parts. Like Nagini is not really real and that person is not really dead, it's all pretend etc. That way she dosen't get scared.

Old March 1st, 2007, 12:36 pm
Third Year

Actually I only watched the movies with the people who did read the books. My family or friends who didn't read the book didn't bother watching the movie.

Old March 1st, 2007, 2:00 pm
Fifth Year

i was so frustrated in the cinema that when i was watching it i had to tell my family to be quiet so i could watch it. when the movie came out on DVD i bought one got my family to sit and watch wit hme and when they had a question i would pause it so that they understood, it halped them to understand what was going on but it added an hour to the film telling them what was hapening lol

"The tank is empty let it dry,
I'm suffering.
A passion ending,
So the world ceases turning."
Old March 2nd, 2007, 6:28 am
Second Year

My cousin only watches the movies and doesn't read the book, so I have to explain a LOT to her, especially in PoA where she had questions about what that "map-thingy" was and who was the rat and why was the rat so important? In GoF, she didn't get the whole Mad Eye Moody plot line, so I had to explain all that to her. Luckily, I told her everything after the movie was over, so no interruptions.

I guess there is a major difference between movie fans, and book fans. We who read the book are waiting to spot certain things in the movie, and the movie fans just go for fun...

"As you can see, hi. My name is not Lance and Iím not an addict." --- Bolshoi Booze

"Iíve changed. In a really bad way. To the point where I donít even know whatís good and bad anymore." --- Wash

--- Paul Kellerman

Other FAVORITE Quotes:

""If I'm in a buttload of pain, I need a buttload of pills." ---- Dr. Greg House, House

"How did I get bridesmaids? Freaking stupid cotton candy colored bridesmaids?" ---- Christina Yang, Grey's Anatomy

http://www.chicklitbkwm.blogspot.com
Old March 3rd, 2007, 4:06 am
Third Year

After GoF, I vowed never to watch the movie for the first time with someone who hasn't read the books.
Pretty much nothing after CoS makes sense without reading the books. It's incredibly annoying to have to explain EVERYTHING to someone, during the movie.

Old March 3rd, 2007, 4:18 am
Registered Animagus

I didnt have to explain anythign to my friend (who hasnt read the books) for the first two but she got so lost during PoA. She didnt understand why Sirius was a dog or Remus was a warewolf.

Old March 3rd, 2007, 1:29 pm
Fourth Year

To my Dad, when watching GOF with him on DVD at home (his first tiem at seeing it). I exlained:

1) that Wormtail was peter pettigrew - the one who betrayed harry - not sirius. (a quick remind there - and the fact he's also called wormtail)

2) who ginny was

3) erm.....i'm not sure what else. but i don't think he got some tihings exactly (he just didn;t mention it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevillesgal View Post
The Marauders map. My mother and one of my good friends were so confused about how Remus and Sirius knew about it. The movie never even explains who Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs are. Along those same lines, I had to explain why it was significant that Harry's patronus was a stag.

Sort of a side note: a friend told me one day he thought he knew one of the people who was going to die in the last book. He's only seen the movies, and he said he thought Neville because he was a side character who didn't matter much to the plot line. I just sort of looked at him funny (my husband, who reads but isn't as into them as I am, burst out laughing), and then said "I think you should read the books and then decide if Neville's an important character."
LOL!!! Aand I don't think JK relly just kills of 'boring, sideline characters' for the fun of it anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBJ23 View Post
My dad has only seen the movies and I had to explain how Hermione and Harry were not going to get together.
hehe! well my dad knows - about one thing he does in HP!

BUt also, in GoF - he didn;t know that Krum was, well, the guy in the quidditch world cup. *rolls eyes*

but he may have noticed later on, once he'd ehard the name a few times

Old March 3rd, 2007, 2:15 pm
First Year

I can't remember exactly what I've had to explain, but I dare say it's been a lot. I know there's only so much they can put into the films, but they leave out so much detail it really ruins it. It's confusing for the people who haven't read the books, and even just the smallest details being left out can make a difference. For example in GoF (book) we learn that Mad Eye will only ever drink from his own hip flask. In the film this is left out, and although it's only a small thing, it's a clue that the polyjuice potion is in there.

Also, from what I remember about GoF film, it doesn't explain anything about Rita Skeeter being an unregistered animagus, leading to Hermione's blackmail etc & her not working for the Prophet any more, meaning that in OOTP her interview with Harry is printed in the The Quibbler as she has no credibility with the Prophet any more. I think this is an important issue, as it's that interview that leads most of the school to believe that V's back. From what I can find out, Rita Skeeter is NOT in OOTP, meaning they're just mentioning it in passing, or that they're bypassing that part of the story completely.

I'm sure that we could be over analysing, or even being picky, but a film should always be true to the book....after all, the films (as far as I know) don't say BASED on the books.

Here's to the sanest person in the wizarding world
Old March 6th, 2007, 3:22 am
Snidget of Champions

I have persuaded all of those that I see the movies with to read the books...except one. With each movie release there is something of a family reunion, even though my cousin and I are the only true Harry Potter fans. However, one cannot argue with tradition. My father thoroughly enjoys the movies, but he is too absorbed in his books on the Civil War to read the Harry Potter books. Therefore, after every movie I always do a summary (for everyone, considering they have read the books only one time each[ a long time ago at that]), and then I am forced to answer all of the questions about the details lost in the adaptation from book to film. It is very difficult to lecture my relatives on the matter, considering they always ask the questions that have not been answered by JKR. It is fun, but tiresome.

Luckily, my friends shun Harry Potter, and thus I do not have to discuss the movies with them (it is sad, in a sense, but I enjoy debating on here rather than with those 'friends' of mine in reality).

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old March 6th, 2007, 5:59 pm
First Year

My dad is HORRIBLE for this, expecially if he sits down in the laast 5 minutes of ANY movie and wants you to catch him up from the beginning AND explain the life stories of every person in the films. I've tried to get him to read the HP books to no avail, but after telling him to sit there and look pretty for the last 5 min of SS, I restarted the movie and he was able to watch it from the beginning. After that I created another HP Film nut! He's 60 years old and really enjoys the movies, his fav is probably COS because of the car but he has started getting friends of his to watch the HP movies as well. He would probably get more out of the movies if he were to read the books, but at least he has started to follow the series from the start so he is getting to know the characters and their stories.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies