Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Do Quidditch through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts have a chance to become movies?

Old July 21st, 2011, 9:30 pm
First Year

Re: Do Quidditch through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts have a chance to become movies

I don't think so; those books are not really stories, they're textbooks. I just can't see what the movie-makers could do with them to make them interesting to watch. Quidditch through the Ages is something that a documentary could be made about, I suppose, but Fantastic Beasts is a schoolbook. No story at all.

Though I walk through the valley of the Shadow of Death,
I will
FEAR NO EVIL.
Psalm 23
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2013, 4:23 pm
Snidget of Champions

Re: Do Quidditch through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts have a chance to become movies

It looks like they do! At least, Fantastic Beasts does:
Warner Bros. announcement of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Sept. 12, 2013 Warner Bros. announced on 12th September 2013 that J.K. Rowling would be making her screenwriting debut with 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them', the first in a new film series which is part of their expanded creative partnership with J.K. Rowling. The films will be inspired by Harry Potter’s Hogwarts textbook of the same name, and will feature the book’s fictitious author, Newt Scamander.

“It all started when Warner Bros. came to me with the suggestion of turning 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' into a film. I thought it was a fun idea, but the idea of seeing Newt Scamander, the supposed author of 'Fantastic Beasts', realized by another writer was difficult. Having lived for so long in my fictional universe, I feel very protective of it and I already knew a lot about Newt. As hard-core Harry Potter fans will know, I liked him so much that I even married his grandson, Rolf, to one of my favourite characters from the Harry Potter series, Luna Lovegood.

As I considered Warners’ proposal, an idea took shape that I couldn’t dislodge. That is how I ended up pitching my own idea for a film to Warner Bros.

Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for seventeen years, 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world. The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt’s story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry’s gets underway.

I particularly want to thank Kevin Tsujihara of Warner Bros. for his support in this project, which would not have happened without him. I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it.”

J.K. Rowling continues to shock and excite me, and the fandom in general!

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138

Last edited by MrSleepyHead; September 12th, 2013 at 4:37 pm.
Old September 12th, 2013, 4:29 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
Warner Bros. announcement of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Sept. 12, 2013 Warner Bros. announced on 12th September 2013 that J.K. Rowling would be making her screenwriting debut with 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them', the first in a new film series which is part of their expanded creative partnership with J.K. Rowling. The films will be inspired by Harry Potter’s Hogwarts textbook of the same name, and will feature the book’s fictitious author, Newt Scamander.

“It all started when Warner Bros. came to me with the suggestion of turning 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' into a film. I thought it was a fun idea, but the idea of seeing Newt Scamander, the supposed author of 'Fantastic Beasts', realized by another writer was difficult. Having lived for so long in my fictional universe, I feel very protective of it and I already knew a lot about Newt. As hard-core Harry Potter fans will know, I liked him so much that I even married his grandson, Rolf, to one of my favourite characters from the Harry Potter series, Luna Lovegood.

As I considered Warners’ proposal, an idea took shape that I couldn’t dislodge. That is how I ended up pitching my own idea for a film to Warner Bros.

Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for seventeen years, 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world. The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt’s story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry’s gets underway.

I particularly want to thank Kevin Tsujihara of Warner Bros. for his support in this project, which would not have happened without him. I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it.”

J.K. Rowling continues to shock and excite me, and the fandom as general!
Hey, you beat me to it! My thread about this is under moderation, just had the link in it. I am kinda excitred about this!

I'm a Hufflepuff in a Slytherin World!

snape lives imho
Old September 12th, 2013, 4:48 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimeldaDursley View Post
Hey, you beat me to it! My thread about this is under moderation, just had the link in it. I am kinda excitred about this!
I just remember this thread from a while ago (dates from 2008-2011!) and that I had always meant to post in it - I'm glad I now have the reason to! It's interesting, though, to see that in over 3 pages the majority of users do not see adapting these textbooks into films. Even more interesting is that the announcement indicates that Fantastic Beasts will not just be a film/documentary, but a film series: "It is planned as the first picture in a new film series." So it looks like we may get a "Newt Scamander and the Traveling Kettle", and on from there. I'm curious how it will succeed. Just that it is steeped in J.K. Rowling's influence and in the Harry Potter world will likely lead to some success, but unless she can make Newt and his adventures just as alluring Harry and his on-screen, it may fade quickly.

I always expected a TV miniseries or the like with Fantastic Beasts and Quidditch, so this is very surprising. But I'm very excited to gain some new information about the wizarding world, even if in the context of Newt Scamander's life.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old September 12th, 2013, 5:02 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Just when we thought it was over! Very exciting. I just heard the news and knew someone over here would be posting about it already.

Of course I'd prefer a new book series, but I guess I'll take what I can get. 70 years earlier brings us to the 1940's if I'm doing my math right. Which means during WWII and during Grindlewald's rise to power. Taking place in NY of course is very exciting, but also interesting because the US didn't become involved in the war until 1941. This gives her a lot of leeway to use political and international relations issues in her storytelling. I would have never imagined this, but I have full faith in JKR for this to be a success.

Quote:
I always expected a TV miniseries or the like with Fantastic Beasts and Quidditch, so this is very surprising. But I'm very excited to gain some new information about the wizarding world, even if in the context of Newt Scamander's life.
And more wizarding world internationally. The culture differences opens up a world of possibilities.

Old September 12th, 2013, 6:10 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
Just when we thought it was over! Very exciting. I just heard the news and knew someone over here would be posting about it already.
Which is one key reason why I truly love CoS! Hopefully users who have distanced themselves of late from CoS will return for discussion: much like when Pottermore was announced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN
Of course I'd prefer a new book series, but I guess I'll take what I can get. 70 years earlier brings us to the 1940's if I'm doing my math right. Which means during WWII and during Grindlewald's rise to power. Taking place in NY of course is very exciting, but also interesting because the US didn't become involved in the war until 1941. This gives her a lot of leeway to use political and international relations issues in her storytelling. I would have never imagined this, but I have full faith in JKR for this to be a success.
JKR said, "Newt’s story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry’s gets underway." Now, what does she mean by Harry's story getting underway? Is it when he was born (1980))? When he started Hogwarts (1991)? The Marauder era (~1970-1980)? So these different interpretations could place Newt's story beginning any time from ~1900-1921. But as it seems like it may be a series, there seems a definite possibility that the story will overlap during the WWII/Grindelwald era - a fascinating time period in the wizarding world about which many of us have often wondered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN
And more wizarding world internationally. The culture differences opens up a world of possibilities.
When I first read that Newt's story opens up in New York, this was exactly my reaction. I'm very excited for JKR to introduce us into new realms of the wizarding world that Harry's story didn't encompass: culture, time, space, magical theory, etc. Given this new perspective on the wizarding world, I would prefer having Newt's adventures documented in a book format initially, with a screen adaptation to follow; but I can understand JKR's draw toward the film format.

I think this film(s) has a lot of potential, but a huge challenge will be selling it to the general public. Since we'll presumably be following Newt's life, I wonder if she'll tie in any known characters that may have had interactions with him - for instance, Dumbledore, Prof. Kettleburn, Hagrid, Luna... It would be a neat way of tying this new series to the old (and a way to engage fans who may be wary of this new perspective).

WalnutFirebolt138
Old September 12th, 2013, 6:42 pm
Seventh Year

This is great news. Odds are the forum will stay alive now as well since the Harry Potter series is no longer over.

It may not have Harry Potter in it but it has the Harry Potter universe.

Also the mods have really dropped the ball as they have at least 3 new threads about this topic and the mods have activated none of them.

Old September 12th, 2013, 6:44 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post

I don't think it will be taking place in the 1940's though. The movie is suppose to take place 70 years before the first Harry Potter book takes place in 1991, so the roaring twenties in New York seems to be the possible setting (if I'm doing my math right)!

Old September 12th, 2013, 6:47 pm
Third Year

I was completely shocked by this. It was probably the last thing that anyone was expecting as a continuation of Harry Potter, but I'm super excited to see how it turns out.

I hope it follows Scamander as he discovers some new creatures, and that they keep the characters from HP to a minimum (ie its not completely about Dumbledore). I think the dangerous thing is that it could very easily turn into a prequel, even unintentionally, and I think it would be a lot cooler if it was almost completely detached from the main story.

“But that’s – I’m sorry, but that’s completely ridiculous! How can I possibly prove it doesn’t exist? Do you expect me to get hold of – of all the pebbles in the world and test them? I mean, you could claim that anything’s real if the only basis for believing in it is that nobody’s proved it doesn’t exist!” [DH 21]
Old September 12th, 2013, 6:56 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Which is one key reason why I truly love CoS! Hopefully users who have distanced themselves of late from CoS will return for discussion: much like when Pottermore was announced.
My thoughts when I saw it on BBC news was "wasn't there a forum where I used to talk about this sort of thing". Even remembered my password first time!

Sounds interesting, I was always a books over the movies guy so I'd have preferred a book but a film is interesting too. Something that perhaps will make it different to the HP films is that it will be written specifically for the format rather than having to adapt or improvise to stay true to the books.

Old September 12th, 2013, 7:34 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Guys let's discuss the new film series about Fantastic Beasts it it's new thread here

You can continue about Quidditch through the Ages in this thread of course

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old September 12th, 2013, 7:38 pm
Seventh Year

The title question of this thread used to seem like a reach, except in the sense of, 'Well, these books connect to a larger property that WB will want to continue to exploit." Turns out they do! I figured that if any of the spin-off books were to be adapted for film, it would be The Tales of Beedle the Bard first - and this seems to be more a story of Newt Scamander than a strict adaptation (or translation) of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, because how would you do a strict adaption or translation of Fantastic Beasts?

Last edited by IenjoyAcidPops; September 13th, 2013 at 7:28 am.
Old September 12th, 2013, 9:57 pm
Third Year

quidditch movie...
Like great movies and Potions you need a Formula
Take

Harry Potter style Characters +

Invictus Tone +
The Replacements bunch of misfits
= Success

Then the team should be the WORST TEAM in Quidditch History...
The Chudley Cannons!

Throw in a Ginny + Harry Cameo in the stands watching the game...

You got Box office Gold!

Who the Heck Recast?

See my HP music videos at Youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAAm8ogssSU What is behind the Shell?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBRqBm52n-8 Is Harry "Good Enough" by Evanescence
Read My Crossover Fanfic: Goblet of Fire
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114176

Last edited by skullangel; September 12th, 2013 at 10:00 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies