Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Stephen King

Old September 1st, 2006, 4:37 am
Fourth Year

Stephen King

I searched for a thread about him but couldn't find any... I read some of his books.. HORiFfic! but the reason I searched for him is because he said he was scared of death eaters

When Stephen King was asked what scared him, he named the Death Eaters among the list. Jo Rowling said in awe I scared Stephen King! and he responded I hope youre proud of yourself!

Iremember reading a looong time ago (when book 5 came out) that Steven King gave a reveiw on it.... I think he is a fan!

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2006, 4:29 pm
Suteki da ne

Re: Stephen King

You don't say...he wouldn't have been able to comment on the books in the way that he did if he wasn't a fan

If you change your mind
Old September 1st, 2006, 5:32 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub
You don't say...he wouldn't have been able to comment on the books in the way that he did if he wasn't a fan
well, he could have read the books - as an author - to see what's out there. doesn't necessarily mean he is necessarily a fan I read lots of books, but I did not become a fan of the authors. (I read Janet Evonovich but i'm not her Fan. I read Jhon Grishm but I'm not his fan... and I read tons of other books that I can't even remember the name of their author!

Old September 1st, 2006, 8:47 pm
Fifth Year

I know there was a Stephen king thread at some point, but it may have been so long ago it's not around anymore. I love Stephen King. I also read the review he did of book 5, and it was great. I remember it having a lot to do with Harry's anger and how he thought JKR did a great job of getting to the heart of how teenagers really feel.

Old September 1st, 2006, 8:52 pm
Third Year

I like to read Stepehen King.
Indeed he mention in his books Harry Potter, good to know the master of horror can be sacred by Harry Potter too

I think he is fan, perhaps not a huge fan, I dont know, but I like Stpehen King and I like Harry Potter, Stephen King should like HP as me.

Old September 1st, 2006, 9:22 pm
Second Year

I've never read a single book written by Stephen King. I've seen the movies though. I've intended to read some of his novels, but never got the chance.

Old September 1st, 2006, 11:07 pm
Sixth Year

Since I have been browsing this thread (only about 3-4 months) there have been two attempts to start and maintain Stephen King threads: one just on him and one on the Dark Tower Series.

After about 30 people posted, we staunch Stephen King fans, the thread has died. Once a thread gets past the 6th page of thread listings, they seem to delete the whole thing. (Even though it might be a television show that has been on hiatus for the summer, and was a very popular thread during the season.) I'm not complaining, I'm just explaining it, as I have observed it.

Old September 1st, 2006, 11:18 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFly
Iremember reading a looong time ago (when book 5 came out) that Steven King gave a reveiw on it.... I think he is a fan!
He is a fan . Check out his book On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft. He praises Harry Potter in this book and uses the series as an example of good writing. Also, he lists the series in his book recommendations in the back of On Writing.

If one feels the need of something grand, something infinite, something that makes one feel aware of God,
one need not go far to find it...I think that I see something deeper, more infinite, more eternal than the ocean in the
expression of the eyes of a little baby when it wakes in the morning and coos or laughs because it sees
the sun shining on its cradle.

- Vincent van Gogh -
Old September 1st, 2006, 11:52 pm
Sixth Year

Stephen King is pretty...(cool is NOT the word) impressive. I like some of his books but I am not a huge fan. I'd rather read books by Dan Brown
Yes he said he is scared of Death Eaters. I was surprised to hear a person like him was scared by things like Death Eaters Even dementors would have made sense.

Old September 2nd, 2006, 12:11 am
Fourth Year

He is a pretty famous author, and I heard so much about him, so I decided to go and buy one of his books.
I bought Cell.
I was disgusted I threw the book away and I have no idea where it is.
It's just so GORY.

Old September 2nd, 2006, 12:23 am
Fourth Year

King's a great writer, and his books are a million times better than many of the movies based on them.

And yep, he is a Rowling fan.

Old September 2nd, 2006, 12:44 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherngoddess
I've never read a single book written by Stephen King. I've seen the movies though. I've intended to read some of his novels, but never got the chance.
I have to say (as any fan of Stephen King will tell you) the movies are almost always horrible compared with the books (The exceptions to this are Stand by Me based on The Body and The Shawshank Redemption). You simply have to read something to get the true Stephen King experience! If you like "literary horror" (if that's a real term ), you should read Bag of Bones. If you just want to be scared witless, you could go with The Mist (a short story in the book Skeleton Crew).
I think Stephen King deserves kudos for versatility. I have actually cried reading one of his books before. I have also been traumatized for life, on some occasions. I've also laughed out loud.

Old September 2nd, 2006, 4:28 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyMcFly
When Stephen King was asked what scared him, he named the Death Eaters among the list. Jo Rowling said in awe I scared Stephen King! and he responded I hope youre proud of yourself!
Hehehehe

Stephen King fans, I assume you have read all/most of his books, so could you advise me on this? The only Stephen King I have read is Cujo . Have you read that? And if you have, does the fact I didn't like it mean is isn't a very good example, or that I just don't like Stephen King? Because I would like to know if I should try his other stuff. I do like horror, but so far he really doesn't appeal to me.

Old September 3rd, 2006, 7:21 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Cujo is not one of his finer works (written, as it was, in he depths of alcoholism).

Of the 30+ other books favourites include the first four (Carrie, 'Salems Lot, The Stand and The Dead Zone).

Later ones I liked were It, the two Straub collaborations, Misery and the Dark Tower and Green Mile series.

His collections of shorter works are good too.

http://stephenking.com/pages/Works/list_written.php

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old September 3rd, 2006, 12:44 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaryllis
He is a fan . Check out his book On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft. He praises Harry Potter in this book and uses the series as an example of good writing. Also, he lists the series in his book recommendations in the back of On Writing.
This is what I was going to say.

On Writing is the only book I ever finished by him. Insightful stuff.

I can't remember what it's called, but in his newest book of short-stories there's one where the maitre'd (sp?) of a nice restaurant runs amok with a butcher knife. Pretty cool.

Old September 13th, 2006, 6:57 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravclawprefec View Post
I have to say (as any fan of Stephen King will tell you) the movies are almost always horrible compared with the books (The exceptions to this are Stand by Me based on The Body and The Shawshank Redemption). You simply have to read something to get the true Stephen King experience! If you like "literary horror" (if that's a real term ), you should read Bag of Bones. If you just want to be scared witless, you could go with The Mist (a short story in the book Skeleton Crew).
I think Stephen King deserves kudos for versatility. I have actually cried reading one of his books before. I have also been traumatized for life, on some occasions. I've also laughed out loud.
I never read it, but I really enjoyed the movie The Shawshank Redemption. I also liked Carrie (the book and the movie). I do like to watch movies that are based on books for a couple of reasons -- to see if the movie stays true to the story, and to get a visual experience for the story. It is one thing to create images in your own mind through reading, but I also like to see what other people visualize and I really like special effects in films.

Old September 13th, 2006, 7:19 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I've always enjoyed reading Stephen King. I like alot of his earlier stuff, as I haven't read a lot of his newer works.
One of my all time favorites is "The Shining". There are a lot of psychological elements that make that book really scary. Ironically, I've never seen the movie.
I also enjoyed Salem's Lot. I think it's one of the scariest books I've ever read. It scared me so much that I wouldn't read it after dark.
Other favorites include Needful Things, Four Past Midnight, IT, and Carrie.

Nerf Herder
Old September 19th, 2006, 1:31 am
First Year

I've read five or six Stephen King books and simply ADORE THEM.

But I've a twisted mind.

let me be your half-blood princess

you took your coat off and stood in the rain.you were always crazy like that.i watched from my window, always felt I was outside looking in on you.you were always the mysterious one with dark eyes and careless hair.you were fashionably sensitive, but too cool to care.then you stood in my doorway, with nothing to say besides some comment on the weather.well in case you failed to notice.in case you failed to see.this is my heart bleeding before you.this is me down on my knees.these foolish games are tearing me apart.your thoughtless words are breaking my heart.you're breaking my heart.
foolish games.jewel.
Old September 19th, 2006, 5:41 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirefightingMuggle View Post
I've always enjoyed reading Stephen King. I like alot of his earlier stuff, as I haven't read a lot of his newer works.
One of my all time favorites is "The Shining". There are a lot of psychological elements that make that book really scary. Ironically, I've never seen the movie.
I also enjoyed Salem's Lot. I think it's one of the scariest books I've ever read. It scared me so much that I wouldn't read it after dark.
Other favorites include Needful Things, Four Past Midnight, IT, and Carrie.

I love Needful Things; that is a crazy story (it also taught me an expression I'll not use here, but suffice it to say it made me ).
Anyway, I haven't read anything he's written in the last couple of years, but I read a lot of things that weren't really his older books or his new books(I'm starting to realize what a huge body of work this man has). A lot of that stuff was really good. Bag of Bones is a story that I continued to think about for months after reading it. I think Dreamcatcher was the last thing I read of his while it was new, and that was pretty good, too. I think I have different favorites for different moods. I used to like being scared a lot more and then it was all about the older stuff. If anyone wants to read a seriously diverse collection of short stories, I'd tell you to go with Skeleton Crew.

Old September 19th, 2006, 8:35 pm
Seventh Year

The only King book I've ever read is the Shining and that was only because I loved the film. The book is miles better though with loads more scenes they couldn't fit in the film.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy