Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

His Dark Materials

Old December 11th, 2007, 1:11 am
Secret Keeper

Re: His Dark Materials

I met up with my friend, and she's a huge fan. She was like twitching and going "oh my god, oh my god" since she knew that
Spoiler: show
roger was going to die
, so she was freaking out, and then she saw the credits come in, and she was like "WHAT?!?!??!" really really loud. I don't blame her though. I think i went into shock. I think she's planning something to get them to remake the movie .

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2008, 8:41 am
Second Year

I'm working on The Amber Spyglass now. So far, a very good series. I can't wait to see where it ends.

If I was still into Christianity like I was for a time, I'm sure I would be offended by these books. Hell, I stayed away from Harry Potter for a long time because of Christian perception.

Overall though, this is a very well written, entertaining series. I would recomend it for just about anybody, unless you do not get into fantasy or anything like that.

I too couldn't believe the ending. I think I made my wife mad when I started complaining when the credits came up.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 3:54 pm
Fourth Year

I wasn't surprised about the ending just because I had read about it in this thread. I am curious to see how they are going to make that scene.

I really wonder how are they going to make the second movie family-friendly, as it has a lot of violence. For example,
the part where Will loses his fingers: how can you make that family-friendly?

My Dark Lord? Sorry I disturb you,
but Muggles have started catching up with us...

My Harry Potter fanart
My deviantart page

Last edited by Dancing_Blade; January 2nd, 2008 at 3:57 pm.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 9:46 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I met up with my friend, and she's a huge fan. She was like twitching and going "oh my god, oh my god" since she knew that
roger was going to die
, so she was freaking out, and then she saw the credits come in, and she was like "WHAT?!?!??!" really really loud. I don't blame her though. I think i went into shock. I think she's planning something to get them to remake the movie .

Exactly! I kept on turning to my friend and just cringing because we were so worried. and then nothing happened! I was so disappointed. Imagine how depressing the first five minutes of the next movie is going to be!

One door, one key, one idea...one big mess.
The Phenomenon Begins
Old January 3rd, 2008, 11:02 pm
Unspeakable

I just finished the series a few days ago, having actually gotten it for Christmas. It's great because it is so layered and well, deep, which is the intention.

That's why I don't think I'll ever be obsessed with these books in the same way I'm obsessed with HP and a few others, but I did love reading it. Just from my one read, HDM lends itself well to contemplating the profound questions of the universe outside the context of the story, and the plot and characters are secondary to that, in my opinion. When I get "obsessed "with a book, it's because of the characters' lives. Though I did love the characters and the plot, especially the way all the sub-plots and themes intertwine into the bigger picture, and I cried at the end of the Amber Spyglass. The characters are still human in the middle of all the themes being developed, so it was still a human, emotional ending.

Other than that, I can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. It is a great series. I personally don't agree with the, er, philosophies of the book, but in some ways, they're more open to interpretation than I expected. For me, the portayal of the Church is very interesting and I think I got a little fixated on that sometimes while I was reading.

Last edited by hermy_weasley2; January 4th, 2008 at 4:00 pm.
Old January 7th, 2008, 11:38 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing_Blade View Post
I wasn't surprised about the ending just because I had read about it in this thread. I am curious to see how they are going to make that scene.

I really wonder how are they going to make the second movie family-friendly, as it has a lot of violence. For example,
They could probably make it as vague as possible. (not showing it directly) It could probably still stay in the PG range that way

ON THE QUEST

Watch Chuck ~ = ~ Chat Chuck ~ = ~ Support Chuck
Harry Potter Caption Contest
: The best fanfiction out there.
in - - I grudgingly trust Severus Snape. ~ ~ ~ ~ Black Σφ390
Old January 7th, 2008, 11:57 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:

I think they'll just try to stay away from that a lot and try to make it kind of vague. Would it be rated R if his fingers cut off?

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old January 8th, 2008, 12:20 am
Third Year

No. At worst it would be PG-13. R would need to be really really gory

ON THE QUEST

Watch Chuck ~ = ~ Chat Chuck ~ = ~ Support Chuck
Harry Potter Caption Contest
: The best fanfiction out there.
in - - I grudgingly trust Severus Snape. ~ ~ ~ ~ Black Σφ390
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:53 am
Second Year

The first movie was rated PG-13. I don't think the second book would garner anything worse.

Old January 8th, 2008, 10:24 pm
Fourth Year

Well, I guess you are right.
With the special effects they have these days, they could even think of something to put around the wound in order to make it more impressive than scary.

My Harry Potter fanart
My deviantart page
Old January 16th, 2008, 7:07 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
It can stay pg13 so long as they don't show too much blood. I believe the MPAA rates bloody violence as R but non-bloody violence (as in Star Wars light saber) as pg13.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but loved the books. I think it is hard to make a movie out of the books because it isn't really 3 books, it is really 1 long story. Much more so than HP.

Old January 17th, 2008, 4:27 pm
Second Year

Okay, I just finished reading The Amber Spyglass last night. And now I can say, I really hope the rest of these books do get made into movies. This was an amazing trilogy. Kind of made me think about things I've been questioning for a while anyway.

Old January 17th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

I've read up to half-way through The Amber Spyglass. I thought that the first two were really interesting. I loved the religious themes and for once I was actually interested in Science. However, The Amber Spyglass failed to reel me in and actually bored me. I might try to read it again

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old January 18th, 2008, 1:19 am
Second Year

I really liked it, but I read it a lot slower. I think I went a few days without reading it. But you should really finish it. The last 150 pages were dynamite!

Old January 18th, 2008, 10:52 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyMagic View Post
I've read up to half-way through The Amber Spyglass. I thought that the first two were really interesting. I loved the religious themes and for once I was actually interested in Science. However, The Amber Spyglass failed to reel me in and actually bored me. I might try to read it again
You should definitely finish it - it makes the whole trilogy into one book and you actually feel a sense of end after the 3rd book, unlike the first and second. Where did you leave off?

Old January 19th, 2008, 3:42 am
Unspeakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyMagic View Post

I thought that part dragged out a little too, but you should definitely finish it. The end is so worth it.

Old January 19th, 2008, 7:27 am
Second Year

Finish it. Nearly every book has a part in it at some point that drags on a bit. The ending is very cool. Again, this is another series that I was very sad to put down.

Old January 19th, 2008, 12:07 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
You should definitely finish it - it makes the whole trilogy into one book and you actually feel a sense of end after the 3rd book, unlike the first and second. Where did you leave off?
I read up to Chapter 16 - The Intention Craft. I think I'll try to finish it. I know a basic outline of what happens at the end and it sounds really good. And you guys seem to like it a lot

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old January 19th, 2008, 2:38 pm
Fourth Year

I loved the amber spyglass! Especially Mary's storyline.
The book I liked less from all three of them was the second one.

My Harry Potter fanart
My deviantart page
Old January 19th, 2008, 6:27 pm
Defender of Dogs

I'm about in the middle of the Golden Compass right now. I finished the first section, Oxford, and haven't begun reading the next. It's a rather odd book. I'm not sure if I like it or not yet. I really don't get anything that happened wwith the Master and Lord Asriel.
If Asriel was helping the Master, why did the Master try to kill him?
Farder Coram is kind of wierd because he's been stalking Lyra pretty much her whole life. Oh, well, I bet everything will get explained later on.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy