Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Electronic Readers

Old January 24th, 2012, 7:14 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Re: Electronic Readers

It seems that most of my friends have gotten ereaders and I use a Kindle app on my laptop so it makes me want to get one. I see the convenience of having one.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2012, 3:47 am
Third Year

Do you have an e-reader or would you consider getting one?
- I have two Kindles (2nd Gen and 3rd Gen "keyboard") and an iPad 2 with the B&N and Kindle apps.

What do you feel are the advantages or disadvantages of e-readers?
- The most obvious advantage is convenience. I love being able to carry around a bunch of in-progress books on my Kindle. I like that my place is always saved and I can sync any of my devices to skip to the furthest point read. I also love the e-ink displays on the non-backlit e-readers (so many hyphens) because they really do look just like printed paper, it's crazy.

On the disadvantages side I would put smell, because nothing really can replace the smell of a new book (if you're into that sort of thing).

Do you feel that e-readers change the nature of reading?
- The nature of reading? Nope, not at all. I think e-readers make it easier to take reading with you, but I doubt they will ever change the way stories make us feel, or convince someone to read who otherwise wouldn't.

Thank you, COS, for the last 16 years. Iím so happy to see youíre still around.
Old January 25th, 2012, 4:16 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Imago View Post
What do you feel are the advantages or disadvantages of e-readers?
- The most obvious advantage is convenience.
How is it more convenient? The book is as close to perfect a bend of form and function as you're likely to get.

Quote:
I also love the e-ink displays on the non-backlit e-readers (so many hyphens) because they really do look just like printed paper, it's crazy.
It is crazy. Because e-ink does look different. Printed paper looks, feels and handles like printed paper.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old January 25th, 2012, 5:43 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
How is it more convenient? The book is as close to perfect a bend of form and function as you're likely to get.
I think the constraints of physical storage compared to digital storage make this pretty obvious.

Old January 25th, 2012, 6:05 am

Only if you want to carry around an entire library and I've never met a book that needs recharging and never had a retailer break into my house and remove a book as Amazon did with Kindle editions of 1984 and Animal Farm.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Last edited by Wab; January 25th, 2012 at 6:10 am.
Old January 25th, 2012, 6:36 am
The Forums Red Hypergiant Star

Well yes, and I certainly treasure my collection of books, but I can think of a few lifestyle choices and everyday situations that would render an e-reader more convenient than a stack of books.

Old January 25th, 2012, 3:25 pm
Second Year

Even though I love having physical copies - if I'm honest, I like those better than eBooks - I love my ereader. I was seriously considering buying one in 2011 (before I won a Kindle), mainly because I'm simply running out of room. For someone like me, with limited space (I cannot fit a tall bookcase or bookshelves on the wall), an ereader is an excellent solution.

A book is a book, no matter the format. I love reading, and I don't exclude any format to experience a book.

Old January 25th, 2012, 7:34 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

You won a Kindle? Jealous.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old January 25th, 2012, 11:15 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvngbooks View Post
Even though I love having physical copies - if I'm honest, I like those better than eBooks - I love my ereader. I was seriously considering buying one in 2011 (before I won a Kindle), mainly because I'm simply running out of room. For someone like me, with limited space (I cannot fit a tall bookcase or bookshelves on the wall), an ereader is an excellent solution.

A book is a book, no matter the format. I love reading, and I don't exclude any format to experience a book.
I think that would probably be my main reason for buying a e-reader. My bookshelf is bursting with books. Even when I got another smaller bookshelf, and transferred my things over I am still having a hard time finding a spot for a new book. Plus, e-readers are probably more convenient for traveling.

...You won one? Lucky!

Old January 26th, 2012, 4:30 pm
Sixth Year

Yeah, I agree. An e-reader is so much better because there's less clutter when you have one. That's one of the reasons I want one. And I'm going with a Nook because I can get the Barnes & Noble gift cards to use to buy them, so that's what I'm going to do.

Old January 27th, 2012, 2:04 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
It seems that most of my friends have gotten ereaders and I use a Kindle app on my laptop so it makes me want to get one. I see the convenience of having one.
I also have the Kindle app for my laptop, and after my mobile phone died, I got a smart phone, and downloaded the Kindle app for that as well. Before, I considered getting a Kindle, but now I don't feel like I need one as long as I have my phone. My "main reads" are usually in the old-fashioned paper format, but I love having a book on my phone that I can read when I have a few unexpected minutes to kill.

It would be handy with a Kindle when I go away for more than a week, as it's really hard to be sure I bring enough books without bringing half my collection. With an e-reader I could bring my whole collection, but then again, it's only summer holidays once a year. Though I do think it looks better using an e-reader to read rather than your mobile phone - with the phone it just looks like you're playing silly games.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old January 27th, 2012, 2:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuStark View Post
Plus, e-readers are probably more convenient for traveling.
Any convenience on a longer trip would be the need to carry the charger and the fact that they are thief magnets.

Old January 27th, 2012, 5:20 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Any convenience on a longer trip would be the need to carry the charger and the fact that they are thief magnets.
Eh, I don't see how carrying a charger would be a big problem. It's like traveling with a laptop, which a lot people seem to do these days. I like to bring many books with me when I travel, so an e-reader would probably be lighter in the long run, even with the charger, but that's just me. Aren't most electronics thief magnets these days?

Old January 27th, 2012, 5:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuStark View Post
Eh, I don't see how carrying a charger would be a big problem. It's like traveling with a laptop, which a lot people seem to do these days.
I never carry a laptop either. And I never carry a phone when I can get away with it.

Old January 27th, 2012, 7:51 am
First Year

I have a Kindle and so far I really like it. Can store a lot of books, and it is easy to carry with you anywhere

Old January 27th, 2012, 12:09 pm
Malum Veneficus

Are all books available for the Kindle (and other ereaders)? Well, I know that not all books are available yet, (the HP books for example). I know many classics and new releases are available but my question is: just how large is the collection of books available on the Kindle? That would definitely affect my choice of getting an ereader. I definitely agree it's much easier in carrying around than normal books, especially in travelling. But I wouldn't like to get one, then find a limited collection of books on it.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old January 27th, 2012, 1:38 pm
Second Year

Even if you have to carry a charger (which I doubt, because I can use my ereader every day for several hours and still only have to charge it once every 1.5/2 months), the charger is a thin cord without a bulky part or whatever so it fits easily in your carrier/suitcase. The fact that it's supposed to be a thief magnet is overdone, I think. All electronics are 'thief magnets' and it's not like you're going to wave your ereader in someones face or something.

Bellatrix; most books are available for kindle. Especially new titles seem to come out with a kindle version on the releasedate of the physical copy, but some require a little bit of a wait. If you look in the Kindle store on Amazon, you'll see that they have over 1 million titles in digital format. You can always look some titles up to see if they have the books you'd be interested in

Old January 27th, 2012, 7:55 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I take my laptop with me on overnight trips, so having the app there is a good thing (but it is much easier just opening up a book than it is turning on my laptop). Can't fit my laptop in my purse so it's not like I can take it wherever I go.

Old June 1st, 2012, 7:47 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

I discovered another advantage of regular books yesterday - I had a visa interview at the American embassy and they had to take all electronic devices I had with me before they let me in. I got to keep my paperback and read it while I waited for the interview a couple of hours.

Old June 8th, 2012, 6:54 am
First Year

I ended up giving my Kindle to my sister as she ended up using it over Christmas and New Year more than I had in owning it. I found the screen to be too small and didn't like the font sizes. One was either too big while the next size down was too small. I've ended up buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab and have the Kindle app on that and have found it more enjoyable to read on than the actual Kindle. The plus side being that the tab is multi-purpose.

Serial Lurker Extraordinaire
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction