Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Other Fantasy Series you recommend/recommend people avoid?

Old August 8th, 2009, 11:35 pm
First Year

Other Fantasy Series you recommend/recommend people avoid?

Post your favorite fantasy series or book (Other than Harry Potter) that you reccomend or would advise people avoid

Here are a few of mine

The Dresden Files while some of the Armour and Weapons terminology and facts are off, the characters, the plots, the settings and everything else are wonderful except for the character Murphy who I dislike and a few of Dresdens personal principles.

I give it an 8.5 out of ten. In other words get the books and read them. Now!

Note: These are not kids books don't read these unless you're over 15 years of age and preferably not till you're 18 years old.

Robert Jordans stuff I would advise you advise you avoid those along with Terry Goodkinds stuff. Just . . . Well to remain family friendly and not expand the younger viewers (and a few olders ones as well I'll wager) vocabulary and education far beyond their years. I'll just stick with saying the books are bad and don't read them. Ever. Period.

0 out of 10 for both of them.

For younger readers I'd recommend the Redwall series by Brian Jaqques and Cornelia Funkes stuff good stuff for a younger audience although plenty of older people read them as well.

8 and 8 out of 10 for both of them.

George R.R Martins stuff

Great books all sorts of wonderful characters, a cool setting, cool plot, cool everything but all the Misiogny and Burlequeness was off putting and Martins messes up with medieval armour and weapons terminology use and performance and he messed up with the fight scenes so

2 out of 10 for Martin

Be warned these books should not be read until you're at least 25 years old

R.A Salvatore's Legend of Drizzt

Now I disliked Salvatores other stuff. But with this series considering what he had to work with (writing books set in gaming universe no less) he wrote a great and pretty well done series with cool everything and lots of awesome sauce and wonderful characters sometimes the comedy was little silly but there an undercurrent of bittersweet sorrow that is so well done you find yourself shying away from and trying to pretend it isn't there just like the characters. The fight scenes and armour and weapons stuff could be better. I do think Salvatore should have stopped several books earlier and the latest one buckled in places but in others it held up admirably and as long as they keep coming out I'll keep buying them.

8.5 for Mr. Salvatore

Ed Greenwood

Now I liked his books they set in the same place as Salvatores but he got the fights and armour and such right and kept a tight reign on his magic and still managed to just ooze awesome sauce.

9 for Greenwood

Christopher Paolini

His later stuff is better and more original but I'm still made at him for his anti-climatic ending in the latest one and for stealing stuff for Lord of the Rings and Star Bores and somehow despite being the most powerful race in the world the elves are doing that irritating fading nonsense so

4 out of 10 for Paolini

The Weis Kings Lackey < (Bad Pun, I know)

Don't read their books. All I've got to say.

Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2009, 11:48 pm
Secret Keeper

Re: Other Fantasy Series you recommend/recommend people avoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil View Post
Post your favorite fantasy series or book (Other than Harry Potter) that you reccomend or would advise people avoid

Here are a few of mine

The Dresden Files while some of the Armour and Weapons terminology and facts are off, the characters, the plots, the settings and everything else are wonderful except for the character Murphy who I dislike and a few of Dresdens personal principles.

I give it an 8.5 out of ten. In other words get the books and read them. Now!

Note: These are not kids books don't read these unless you're over 15 years of age and preferably not till you're 18 years old.
heh, i wish someone had told me before i read them at 13 with multiple people on this site recommending them including staff . But I definitely recommend them, they're currently my favorite series

Twilight. I know a lot of people like them, but in an attempt to save the remaining youth from the poison that is Twilight, don't read them. The characters are characterless, Edward's pickup lines are extremely cheesy, you can find better fanfiction than Breaking Dawn, Bella is a terrible role model, for more reasons check out the Twilight thread
0/10

I'm not totally sure it counts as fantasy, but Wicked is amazing. I haven't read Maguire's other works but I loved Wicked. Not recommended for anyone under high school age
7/10

Golden Compass or His Dark Materials is one of my all time favorite series. It can be boring sometimes, but it's such a wonderful story. It's meant for a younger audience, but I actually think older kids or even adults would like it more
8/10

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old August 9th, 2009, 12:00 am
First Year

*Thanks you for saving a generation of young minds from the sheer awfulness that is Twilight*

Here are some more

David Eddings: Don't read them. Boundless magic power that is never used, badly written, bad dialogue, stupid characters, nothing is ever explained, words can't describe how he butchered weapons armour and fight scenes, books are all the same, just bad don't read them, you can get better fanfic.
0/10

Garth Nixs stuff: Yes there are better writers (and I didn't like the Sabriel books) but his stories are always orginal and inventive (which is more than can be said for some people) great for both younger and older readers
8/10

Anne Macaffery: Don't read them

0/10

BTW does anyone know who wrote the Haunted Lands Books?

Last edited by Korhil; August 9th, 2009 at 7:26 pm.
Old August 11th, 2009, 2:38 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
Golden Compass or His Dark Materials is one of my all time favorite series. It can be boring sometimes, but it's such a wonderful story. It's meant for a younger audience, but I actually think older kids or even adults would like it more
8/10
Along the same lines, I dig on Michael Scott's Alchemyst series, and my mom is actually getting into the Fairy Godmother Academy.

*along the same lines in terms of target audience, but stellar nonetheless.

Old August 12th, 2009, 3:20 am
Sixth Year

Just read the mortal instruments books by cassandra clare: city of bones, city of ashes, and city of glass.

I LOVED these books- great action, suspense, plot twists, etc.

Old August 16th, 2009, 3:03 pm
First Year

I think your giving David Eddings to much mis credit. Yeah maybe it is not the best fantasy books ever. But the characters are rich and deep of personality. The universe and magic is uniqe it is great high fantasy books. It has no deep messages but I recommend it for the younger audience. He can off cause not measure himself with Rowling.
6/10

Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkinds
This is a great series I love it one of my favorite authors. Reading from the first book in the series and further into the series you can see how the authors writing skills develop, from being highly lyric/romantic to a more down to earth and round writing. I advise this series for a mature audience as there are a few sexual scenes. This series is off cause also a fantasy series. It is about a young woodsman who finds his true love in the women who has come his grandfather for help to save the world against and evil mage. Together they travel out in the world and fight the evil and brings a new order to the world. The books can be a bit sugar sweet now and then, in addition to that it has a political messages.

I will give it 7 out of 10

Old August 16th, 2009, 8:20 pm
Fourth Year

Percy Jackson and the Olympians, by Rick Riordan

Very good books that offer a modern spin on Greek mythology. They're marketed as kids books but I know many more teens who enjoy them than little ones. They're action-packed and often very funny too.

8/10

The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, by Heather Brewer

Vampires done RIGHT! Nothing like Twilight at all (if that were the case I'd be embarrassed to admit I read it). Vlad is half-human, half-vampire, an abomination to the laws of Elysia (vampire society). He's the only one of his kind. But an old prophecy speaks of the Pravus, a half-breed who will become ruler of vampires and enslave the human race. Vlad may very likely be the Pravus.

7.5/10

Twilight Saga, by Stephenie Meyer

Now, I can only judge this because some of my friends back in 6th grade made me sample it. And to be honest, it feels better to bash something when you actually know what you're bashing. I hated Twilight before reading the beginning. I still did afterwards. "Keaton, read the climax! It's the best part!" Okay. *reads climax* Well that was ****.

It's misogynist, sexist to both men and women, and anti-feministic. All the characters are one-dimensional and uninteresting. There's virtually no plot. The setting is nothing special. Worst of all, it portrays a false image of romance. It's sells one that's abusive, yet somehow perfect. It says that the guy you "love" should be perfect, and if he's not don't waste your time on him. It's "romance" based on lust and not love. Neither Bella nor Edward has any personality whatsoever. It's a relationship found on looks and not love. Bella's constantly noticing, swooning, and worshipping his "perfect body". They say men are only in it for sex. Maybe women are too. At least that's what this book says.

A waste of paper, a waste of trees, and quite frankly a waste of your time.

0/10

Old August 19th, 2009, 3:26 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
George R.R Martins stuff

Great books all sorts of wonderful characters, a cool setting, cool plot, cool everything but all the Misiogny and Burlequeness was off putting and Martins messes up with medieval armour and weapons terminology use and performance and he messed up with the fight scenes so

2 out of 10 for Martin

Be warned these books should not be read until you're at least 25 years old
Just to clarify when you say "stuff" are you talking about all of Martin's writings or just the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series? Also, I am curious as to where your age ratings come from. Are they just your personal opinion or is there a source somewhere that states age recommendations for the books?

Old August 19th, 2009, 3:42 am
First Year

Yes it's my personal opinion and yes I'm referring to his SoiaF books

The reasons I dislike Eddings are because of the repetitve plots it's sexist to both men and women, the magic has no bounds yet they don't use to solve their problems the characters are very stereotypical and the women are all pseudo-feminists.

I have some reviews on Goodkind which I will post later on

Old August 21st, 2009, 1:57 am
Member of the Order

Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files are fun to read. Butcher typically grabs you from the first page and doesn't let go.
His other series the "Codex of Alera" is also enjoyable.

Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series is seriously epic. In my opinion the author hit a high note at book 6. From what I remember reading, he experimented with differing writing styles and that decreased the quality a bit. But he came back at the 11th book. Unfortunately the author passed away before he could finish the series. The series will be taken over by Brandon Sanderson under the editing aegis of Jordan's wife, who also edited all of her husband's work. I remeber being so into book 6 I was almost yelling at it. The buildup to that ending was intense!

George R.R Martins stuff...well, I'll repeat what I posted in an earlier thread:
To me, a mark of a good author is one who engages the reader emotionally...makes an emotional connection between the characters written and the reader.

George R.R. Martin does this damn well. (Weis and Hickman did this even better in their Dragonlance books)

Martin make one angry for what happens in the books, and then tells you that you can't do a thing about it.
He created a wide cast of complex characters...nice. But if I want to read of things that are going to **** me off and can't do anything about, I can read history tracts on torture and abuse. Which is what I feel as if I have been reading, abused.
I was looking for more emotional payback here. The fourth book and I have not gotten it. So to hell with this series for now.
When the next book comes out I won't be buying it. At best I'll scan through it at the bookstore.

I thoroughly enjoyed the anthologies he headed, the Wildcard Series (needed to be read in order)

R.A Salvatore's books have been fun to read until recently. His Hunter's Blades series read as if it were hacked to death at the editing stage. (At least that's what I want to believe.)

Ed Greenwood's material got its start writing for TSR's Dragon magazine. His books initially focused on the character the archmage Elminster or the Seven Sisters. And they were fun to read. His other material tend to devolve into magical explosions and firefights and do little for the very thin plot he presents.

David Eddings' Pawn of Prophecy was a breath of fresh air in a time that the genre was pretty much stale. The Belgariad and the Elenium were fun to read. His follow-ups to both series, well, if you're bored go for it. But I found them lesser lights.

Terry Goodkind's...ugh.
I read his first book, "Wizard's First Rule," and that's all I'll read. Other comments from aquaintances of mine were: I stopped reading after Faith of the Fallen when Goodkind stops being a fantasy writer with Randian overtones and just makes Richard Rahl into John Galt. The rest started to degenerate into an Objectivism/rapefest. The problem with Faith of the Fallen is that it's less a fantasy novel than a philosophy lesson (it's less rapey than the last two books). I suppose you if don't mind that sort of thing it's fine however after reading the first five books and watching them slide from storytelling to ham-fisted indoctrination with a bunch of gratuitous rape scenes, S&M bodyguards, and naughty nuns thrown in it just got really tiresome.
Well, they did say it best.

Other good stories: Dragonlance Chronicles, and the follow-up, the Dragonlance Legends. (both trilogies)

Kate Eliot's Crown of Stars series is a bit thick and baroque, but not bad at all. Kudos to the author for refusing to cut her final manuscript, thereby giving us all another book to read.)

I also got a kick out of Janny Wurt's War of Light and Shadow series. Looking forward to her final book in that series. (Comes out in the US in the Fall)

That's it for now...

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old August 21st, 2009, 3:02 am
First Year

Well you all know how much I dislike Jordans work

And I would keep reading Martin except for the unecessary off-putting stuff

Eddings well you all know how I feel about Eddings

I found Ed Greenwoods newest Knights of Myth Drannor to be very good with a good plot and I like his works because he gets his stuff on armour and weapons right and the characters are well done none of the D&D stereotype quest group for him.

Richard Lee Byers was also pretty good

I do agree with you on Goodkind and I agree that Salvatore should have quit with or before Hunters Blades or with the last Trilogy. I think you're probably right that his work got edited up pretty badly because he's usually much better.

I have heard good stuff about Janny Wurts and I will check her and Eliot out

As for Weis and Hickman: Well you know how I feel about them

I would suggest checking other Fantasy authors from before Tolkien when authors had to come up with their own ideas instead of ripping off Tolkien such as Dansany, Cellum, Lovecraft, and Howard (Conan is nothing like the blooming idiot they made him in the movies and Howards poems and Kull and Bran Mak Morn stories are good as well)

Old August 24th, 2009, 10:03 pm
First Year

avoid the septimus heap series. i started the first, and got so boreddd.

x:*.*:x_MeLiSsA_x*.*:x
“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”
Old September 1st, 2009, 1:14 am
Member of the Order

Quote:
I found Ed Greenwoods newest Knights of Myth Drannor to be very good with a good plot and I like his works because he gets his stuff on armour and weapons right and the characters are well done none of the D&D stereotype quest group for him.
There was a plot?
Really?
And who gives a load about armour and stuff? I have tons of non-fiction for that.

I started reading the Magicians by Lev Grossman, and I dumped it about halfway through. The book billed as some sort of adult Hogwarts theme is contrived, dull, full of filler, boring, and depressing. One key note in writing fiction of this kind (yes, I'm arrogant enough to presume here) is to create some sort of sympathy with either the protaganists or the events happening. Our alleged "hero" really isn't. He's some sort of self-absorbed/self-involved jerk who whines incessantly about how dull the world is, then when he realizes he's been accepted in a school of magic, (Brakebills) whines incessantly at how dull the school is.

The author tries to invest the reader into the characters but plods on and on about how miserable they are...and you realize you really don't care. The characters themselves are just as unlikable as they behave pretentiously, drinking and drug-using and whining about the fallout from their behaviour.

And as for the supposed school of magic, there was rather little magic than the Hogwarts theme suggests. (And that's not going into how much that was ripped from the Chronicles of Narnia). There are none of the moments filled with wonder that there are in JK Rowlings books.

Pretty much a waste of money and time.

Another series I've avoided was the Maximum Ride books.
When the series first began it was with the book "When the Wind Blows," followed by "the Lake House." Both were entertaining enough to make me look for the 3rd book. Patterson apparently was reaching for the Harry Potter crowd when he created Maximum Ride. He rewrote the characters and the premise of the story, getting rid of charcters and adding a few.
Unfortunately, the plot was dumbed down for that readership, and what began somewhat promisingly, is now ridiculous, inane tripe. Sci-fi/fantasy takes a leap where believability is called for. But there was no way I could even make any imaginative stretch to believe what I was reading. It was written simple-mindedly and insulting.
Maximum Ride was the first book I've ever returned to the book store for a refund. I didn't want this drek tainting my library.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

Old September 1st, 2009, 2:12 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
There was a plot?
Really?
And who gives a load about armour and stuff? I have tons of non-fiction for that.
I guess . . . Everyone who reads fantasy and knows about this stuff except you I for one want a fantasy where the author can get it right. That's not to much to ask what exactly does Non-fic have to do with it?

Old September 1st, 2009, 1:48 pm
Fifth Year

The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness by Michelle Paver: a BRILLIANT series, written for much the same audience as Harry Potter (and there are several parallels - Torak, the main character, is very similar in character and circumstances to Harry, and the bad guys are called soul-eaters - although it's definitely not copying; it is extrememly original). It's set 6000 years ago in the forests of northern europe, and follows an orphaned boy, Torak, on his "voyage of discovery" as he struggles, ultimately, to destroy the evil Soul-Eaters, with his Wolf Brother, called Wolf, and his friend Renn (who has something of a resemblance to Ginny). It sounds cheesy and a lot like Harry Potter, but it really is a great and original series, and extremely interesting from an anthropological view, or if you are interested in hunter-gatherer societies and practices. The last book in the series, Ghost Hunter, has just come out, but I haven't read it yet.

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old September 1st, 2009, 3:44 pm
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Caution: I don't read a great deal of fantasy, so my opinion is probably not worth much - I'm hardly an expert and haven't really read enough to recognise cliche and derivativeness when I see it.

I have liked:

Trudi Canavan's The Black Magician Trilogy (7/10) and even more so The Age of Five trilogy (8.5/10). In literary terms, they're pretty poorly written and I suspect they're a bit clicheed, but the characters are so likeable, the plots quite gripping (although a little predictable), the worlds described in detail with such utter conviction, that I found them utterly unputdownable. I also like what she does with shifting PoV and the fact that she begins to address social issues without absolutely hitting you over the head with them - unlike HP, I don't feel her books are taking place in an ideological vacuum.

I have really liked those of Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover novels (8/10) I've been able to get my hands on (very imaginative and tackling important RL themes), but they won't be for everyone - I found the feminist messages a bit too heavy-handed and most of the male characters a bit too one-dimensionally awful, and if I'm saying that, then that's saying something!

NB, these series contain same-sex relationships and critiques of religion, so if people find that kind of thing offensive, steer clear of them.

I would recommend avoiding:

The Quickening (???) trilogy by Fiona McIntosh (2/10) and the Boreal (???) Moon trilogy by Julian May (4/10), because in both cases I liked early books in the trilogy and found the last book a huge letdown. McIntosh I felt started out with a fantastic premise but then totally failed to make anything of it. Also, it got very repetitive and samey after the first book and I found her characters quite flat. Some of the scenes of violence (particularly sexual violence) also seemed to me to be unnecessary and done in a creepily titillating manner.

In May's case, I loved the first and second books and felt totally cheated by the last book, which didn't satisfactorily tie up any loose ends or solve the mysteries that had been set up in the earlier books. It was as if she'd been making it up as she went along with no idea where she was going, promising more than she could deliver, and then just made up something totally lame off the top of her head to finish it off when she got bored of writing any more. Her anachronistic mingling of details from the ancient, mediaeval and Elizabethan eras in her world, and her "comedy" invented swearwords (which were nowhere near as funny as she obviously thought they were) also did my head in. But I did really like some of her characters and plotting (until I realised it wasn't leading anywhere).

Old September 1st, 2009, 5:08 pm
Member of the Order

Quote:
I guess . . . Everyone who reads fantasy and knows about this stuff except you I for one want a fantasy where the author can get it right. That's not to much to ask what exactly does Non-fic have to do with it?
Yeah. Everyone = a bare handful.
After all, we have plenty of popular flourishing authors who don't bother with "getting the armor/weaponry right" save as props for the story. (Like magic swords that cut through anything. Or magical tokens that serve as full environmental armor)

That must really annoy you.
Especially in light of this: The Wheel of Time Series is by Far the Greatest Book Series of All-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFinch View Post
The Chronicles of Ancient Darkness by Michelle Paver: a BRILLIANT series, written for much the same audience as Harry Potter (and there are several parallels - Torak, the main character, is very similar in character and circumstances to Harry, and the bad guys are called soul-eaters - although it's definitely not copying; it is extrememly original).
I take it you already heard about the movie they plan to make of Wolf Brother? (Ridley Scott will be producing it)

A couple of other series that I've found a pleasure to read;
Jack Vance's Lyonesse series (First book is Suldrun's Garden warning, spoilers) is set in a mythical European dark age (and likely doesn't get the armor or weapons right) Vance is a wordsmith who had books published of a time before Tolkien.

The Tales of Alvin Maker (first book is Seventh Son again, watch for spoiler in link) About an alternate history in the American frontier in the early 19th century. (And again probably doesn't get the armor or weapons right, but then there really isn't any armor. And the weapons are pretty much limited to early firearms)

Old September 1st, 2009, 6:32 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsfire View Post
Yeah. Everyone = a bare handful.
After all, we have plenty of popular flourishing authors who don't bother with "getting the armor/weaponry right" save as props for the story. (Like magic swords that cut through anything. Or magical tokens that serve as full environmental armor)

That must really annoy you.
Especially in light of this: The Wheel of Time Series is by Far the MOST FLIPPING BLOODY AWFUL PIECE OF TRASH NO MATTER WHAT THE FANGIRLS SAYBook Series of All-Time
Um, NO Magical Blade getting through plate is NOT correct Nor does that equal 'a bare handful' (Please quit baiting me) Thanks to the people like the ARMA, people are becoming more and more aware to this.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 10:37 pm
Fifth Year

Piers Anthony's Incarnations of Immortality was a really fun series.

I'm A Superfan!

Would You Like To See
My W.O.M.B.A.T. Card?
Old October 20th, 2010, 6:28 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I WISH I had read this thread earlier!

Avoid
Twilight
The Magicians by Lev Grossman. Completely agree with the review above!
Maximum Ride. My daughter adores it, but to me it's all action with no plot.
Charlie Bone. Even my kids thought it was dull.

Recommend
Magyk by Angie Sage. Someone above did not care for it, but I thought it was really fun.
Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer. I ADORE Artemis Fowl.
I'm going to assume everyone has already read Narnia. If not, DO IT.

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy