Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Giver and other books by Lois Lowry

Old June 13th, 2009, 1:16 am
Second Year

Re: The Giver and other books by Lois Lowry

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
^ Yes, a lot of people interpret that ending as death. It really is pretty fantastic, the debate and discussion generated by the ambiguity of the ending. I think it's too bad, really, that she's settled this debate for her readers in Messenger.
Do you have a link to that declaration somewhere? And what is her explanation of the ending?

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2009, 6:33 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzzardree View Post
Do you have a link to that declaration somewhere? And what is her explanation of the ending?
I do not have a link. It is answered in her book, Messenger.
Spoiler: show
In Messenger their leader came to their community many years ago. The sled is on the wall and their leader has blue eyes. I don't remember what else it says specifically, but it is pretty clear that the leader is Jonas.

Old June 15th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I do not have a link. It is answered in her book, Messenger.
Spoiler: show
In Messenger their leader came to their community many years ago. The sled is on the wall and their leader has blue eyes. I don't remember what else it says specifically, but it is pretty clear that the leader is Jonas.

WOW.......that is pretty wild...thanks for the info....I guess I know how they're going to end the movie now....

Old May 18th, 2010, 4:10 am
Gwen's Auntie

I've read The Giver and Number the Stars and I really love both of them. I own Messenger, but I haven't read it yet partially because I've been too busy reading other things, but also because I've heard from many people that it disappointed them and they wished she'd just left it at The Giver.

Number the Stars
was my favorite book when I was about 6 or 7 years old. I actually got told by the librarian of my elementary school that I needed to check out other books so that other students could have a chance at reading that one, because I'd checked it out so many times in a row. I found a copy at a library sale last month and bought it, but haven't gotten around to re-reading it yet.

Leave people better than you found them.”
― Marvin J. Ashton
Old May 18th, 2010, 5:21 am
Squee-worthy

When I first read the Giver in elementary school, I instantly fell in love with it. It is still a book that I read today from time to time, and enjoy it just as much as I did the first time.

I also read Number The Stars when I was younger, but it was many years ago that I read it and don't remember much of it now, but I remember I enjoyed it at the time.

Old May 20th, 2010, 4:51 am
Second Year

I also read the giver in elementary school and enjoyed it a lot. I stilll read it from time to time. And I personally thought that the main character (I don't remember his name) and Gabi had died.

I liked Gathering blue better, but have not read the Messenger. :/

Old May 20th, 2010, 5:05 am
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_attack View Post
I own Messenger, but I haven't read it yet partially because I've been too busy reading other things, but also because I've heard from many people that it disappointed them and they wished she'd just left it at The Giver.
That may have something to do with how you interpret the ending of The Giver. It's left kind of ambiguous at the end, but in Messenger, Lowry makes clear what happened exactly. Maybe people didn't like that if it didn't fit with their interpretation of the ending.

Old May 21st, 2010, 5:18 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
That may have something to do with how you interpret the ending of The Giver. It's left kind of ambiguous at the end, but in Messenger, Lowry makes clear what happened exactly. Maybe people didn't like that if it didn't fit with their interpretation of the ending.
I didn't like Messenger for two reasons.
1) I liked the ambiguous ending of The Giver. If felt right to me that we never found out exactly what happened.
2) I thought that Messenger was unfortunately not well written. The plot, characterization and overall writing were not up to Lowry's usual standards. It's hard for me to believe that the same author wrote both books.
The Giver has been my number one top favorite book from the time I sat down in sixth grade to read the entire thing in one sitting. Since then, I have read through three copies - I think I must have read it at least thirty times. The book is a masterpiece of excellent writing, characters, setting and a hugely powerful message. It deals with tough issues like feelings and pain and child murder and suicide in a way that a young teenager can handle. And I get something new out of the book with each rereading.

Old July 4th, 2010, 3:50 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell
I thought that Messenger was unfortunately not well written. The plot, characterization and overall writing were not up to Lowry's usual standards. It's hard for me to believe that the same author wrote both books.
Totally agree.

My 8 year old brought home her new younger kids book: Gooney Bird Is So Absurd from the library the other day. It's the 3rd Gooney Bird book that Lois Lowry has written. Just like with The Giver trilogy the second two Gooney Bird books are just lacking.

It makes me wonder why she tries to extend her ideas into multiple books when her original ideas are so strong and so well executed. I wonder if it is her pushing the extension or her publisher trying to make more money.

Old August 9th, 2010, 1:54 pm
Third Year

I LOVE this book! I had to read it before I started high school years ago. One of the best books I have read.

Old October 31st, 2010, 4:46 pm
Second Year

I think Jonas and Gabe live at the end. I can't read the book and come to any other conclusion that isn't the most justified.

What do you guys think?

The Giver is one of the best books I have ever read. What do you guys think about it being made into a movie?

Old November 1st, 2010, 5:54 pm
First Year

I love The Giver so much! It was, and still is, very thought-provoking, and I can honestly say that it changed the way I look at life. I had to read it in 6th grade, and the only required reading book so far that has even come close to matching its supreme awesomeness in my eyes is And Then There Were None, which I had to read in 8th grade.
I'm planning on reading Gathering Blue and The Messenger, later. I've heard they're good...
I also had to read Number The Stars in 6th grade, and its very good as well. But for a book about WWII and the Holocaust, it seemed somewhat less mature than The Giver to me...

A Summer to Die is another book by Lois Lowry that I've read and liked. It's a story about a girl named Meg whose sister Molly is very different from her. However, her sister eventually gets sick with leukemia, and Meg's world will never be the same... Highly recommended!
(And on a side note, another book with an ordinary kid dealing with a sibling with leukemia is Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick. It has a different, more modern and sarcastic feel than A Summer to Die, but is still very recommended.)

+Patronus: Fox
+Boggart: Spider
+Wand: 10 1/2" holly, with a dragon heartstring

It is are choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.
Old November 29th, 2010, 6:45 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Has anyone read The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry? It sounds interesting and a bit dark, plus a bit of commentary on family/society. Was wondering if it was as good as it sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritThalia View Post
A Summer to Die is another book by Lois Lowry that I've read and liked. It's a story about a girl named Meg whose sister Molly is very different from her. However, her sister eventually gets sick with leukemia, and Meg's world will never be the same... Highly recommended!
(And on a side note, another book with an ordinary kid dealing with a sibling with leukemia is Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick. It has a different, more modern and sarcastic feel than A Summer to Die, but is still very recommended.)
I haven't read that one, but it sounds to me like you would enjoy My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.

Old April 17th, 2011, 12:36 am
Rocket Scientist

I just got back from a book signing with Lois Lowry, she was a lot of fun, and has a great sense of humor. She spent a lot of time talking about the giver and the two companion novels, and pointed out where Jonas appeared in each but not by name. In the third book he is referred to as "the leader". She also mention that there will be a book coming out about Gabe, the baby Jonas ran away with that will be older in the new book. Seems pretty interesting.

She discussed how she game up with the idea for the giver, it stems from when her father was older and in a nursing home, and she used to visit with him and go through picture albums and he couldnt always remember names or events including bad things that happened (like the death of her sister) And on the way home she wondered what a world would be like with where no bad things could happen and the more she thought about the more ideas she came up with. She also said she picked the names of the characters because she liked them not because of any references of any kind. She said she always gets lot of questions about the giver, and often times ones about the logistics how there could possibly be the number of people she said in the society when the moms were allowed to produce 3 children etc on the details where they go into indepth calculations. She said she always liked to leave the logistics out of her novels and let that be up to the reader id they liked to think about it.

She also read an excerpt from The Willoughbys, which is a newer title of hers and a satire, it was quite funny.

It was a great great event and if you even get the chance to see her at an event i highly recommend it She signed two books for me, The giver and number of the stars

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old April 19th, 2011, 6:11 am
First Year

1. The Giver pictures a community in which every person and his or her experience is precisely the same. The climate is controlled, and competition has been eliminated in favor of a community in which everyone works only for the common good. What advantages might "sameness" have for a community? Is the loss of diversity worthwhile?

The only advantage I could see is the elimination of pain. But at the same time, the people in the communities could not feel joy. I remember Jonas saying something about loving someone/something and his mother correcting him for using the world "love". No the lost of diversity is not worth the elimination of pain. I like this quote by Nietzsche:

"What does not destroy us. Makes us stronger."

You need to get sick and hurt yourself in order for your immune system to get stronger. "The wind in ones face makes one stronger." Adversity is important for human growth.

2. Discuss the idea of "release". What are the advantages and disadvantages to a community that accepts such a practice?

I can see no advantage really. It was really horrid that they wanted to kill Gabriel just because he was a twin and it scares them that two people look alike. They also "released" elders when they reached a certain age I believe.

3. The world in The Giver stresses that words should be used in a special way. They stress what it calls "precision of language." In fact it is built upon language that is not precise but deliberately clouds meaning. What is the danger of use of such misleading language?

It just creates more confusion and subjectivity within the people.

4. The ending of The Giver has been interpreted in a few different ways. Perhaps Jonas is remembering the beautiful Christmas memory the Giver transmitted to him as he and Gabriel are freezing to death. Or perhaps Jonas does hear music and, using his ability to "see beyond," is able to perceive the warm house with people waiting to greet him. What evidence supports each interpretation.

There are many interpretions? I thought the ending was direct and straightforward. He found another community and it the sequel he comes back to help the people with the "world of color".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
I just got back from a book signing with Lois Lowry, she was a lot of fun, and has a great sense of humor. She spent a lot of time talking about the giver and the two companion novels, and pointed out where Jonas appeared in each but not by name. In the third book he is referred to as "the leader". She also mention that there will be a book coming out about Gabe, the baby Jonas ran away with that will be older in the new book. Seems pretty interesting.

She discussed how she game up with the idea for the giver, it stems from when her father was older and in a nursing home, and she used to visit with him and go through picture albums and he couldnt always remember names or events including bad things that happened (like the death of her sister) And on the way home she wondered what a world would be like with where no bad things could happen and the more she thought about the more ideas she came up with. She also said she picked the names of the characters because she liked them not because of any references of any kind. She said she always gets lot of questions about the giver, and often times ones about the logistics how there could possibly be the number of people she said in the society when the moms were allowed to produce 3 children etc on the details where they go into indepth calculations. She said she always liked to leave the logistics out of her novels and let that be up to the reader id they liked to think about it.

She also read an excerpt from The Willoughbys, which is a newer title of hers and a satire, it was quite funny.

It was a great great event and if you even get the chance to see her at an event i highly recommend it She signed two books for me, The giver and number of the stars
Well the book is not very logical . But I still like its overall theme. It's so cool that you got to meet her.

Old April 19th, 2011, 2:27 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrick View Post
4. The ending of The Giver has been interpreted in a few different ways. Perhaps Jonas is remembering the beautiful Christmas memory the Giver transmitted to him as he and Gabriel are freezing to death. Or perhaps Jonas does hear music and, using his ability to "see beyond," is able to perceive the warm house with people waiting to greet him. What evidence supports each interpretation.

There are many interpretions? I thought the ending was direct and straightforward. He found another community and it the sequel he comes back to help the people with the "world of color".
Yes when i originally read it, i wasnt sure if Jonas died or not, it kind of sounds like he did but you are in fact correct, Lois confirmed he joined the other community and eventually becomes their leader. Interestingly enough she said she thought it was pretty clear he lived, but so many people wrote to her about the ending.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy