Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The works of Neil Gaiman

Old August 22nd, 2008, 7:21 am
First Year

The works of Neil Gaiman

Not all the works of Neil Gaiman are graphic novels - in fact, my favorites so far (American Gods and Neverwhere) are not. So I think we need a place to discuss them outside the graphic novels folder.

Some of these books have content that is way too adult for younger Harry Potter readers, but others are aimed at the same demographic. I bought my son, then age 11, the book-on-tape version of Coraline, read by the author, & it's great. We both love to sing along with the rats' creepy "We are small but we are many" song. And for my money, the Other Mother is a way scarier villain than Voldemort, because not so abstract.

I'd be interested to hear what other folks here recommend in Gaiman's oeuvre.

- Noam Chomsky, Syntactic Structures
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2008, 4:18 am
Qvack...

Re: The works of Neil Gaiman

I think Neil Gaiman is a genius. His short stories are out of this world fantastic- my favourite one is "Babycakes" from the collection Smoke and Mirrors. It's really fantastic, but it made me sick the first time I read it. Well worth a look, since it's only a page long!

I think his best book has to be American Gods. It was so so so superb that I was unimpressed by other books long after I read that!

And of course, I love stardust. It's a really fantastic book, and I love the whole "fairytale for the older generation" thing.

It's his short stores I love most though. He's just so original.

THE DUCK.

Old August 26th, 2008, 6:00 am
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

Neil Gaiman is my favorite author, period! And thanks for bringing this out of the comic book section, because I didn't seem to be having much luck with the thread I started there, haha.

I pulled my username from a story about a muse called 'Calliope' (forgot the second 'l' until it was too late, heh) who's held hostage by a man trying to meet a deadline for his second novel. It's one of the Sandman stories, which I love - I have the whole set.

I also have Coraline, American Gods, Neverwhere, Stardust, Fragile Things and the movie MirrorMask that he wrote with Dave McKean. Neverwhere is my favorite.

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Old August 26th, 2008, 2:51 pm
Seventh Year

I read Coraline and it seemed pretty good. It was twisted, and creepy but in a good way. It felt like I was watching an old horror movie. In fact, I would love to see it as a movie. XD

His comics are pretty famous but I haven't tried them yet. But I am planning on it.

"The fragrance always remains in the hand that gives the rose" - Heda Bejar
GLORY GLORY MAN UTD
Old August 26th, 2008, 3:33 pm

Oh - I should add that I have read most of Smoke and Mirrors - the vampire sestina was quite fun - although I don't have it in my collection yet.

Old August 30th, 2008, 1:25 am
Qvack...

I think the best thing about Gaiman is his uniqueness. Its not that he makes up things people have never heard of, its that he adapts things we already know about to suit himself and his own frame of mind.

Amazing.

THE DUCK.

Old September 1st, 2008, 5:18 pm

^Surely. I like the way he uses classical mythology and weaves into the lives of everyday people.

Old September 2nd, 2008, 5:33 am
Qvack...

Oh, me too!! Have you read his story about the boy and the troll? It's like a load of different old fairy tales and stories melted together to make a really pretty story of life and loneliness. Did you read his story about the werewolf bites in the Waterstone's compendium that had JK Rowling's story in it too? That was so clever! I was laughing like little girl at the end!

THE DUCK.

Old September 2nd, 2008, 6:27 am

Hang on - is this is that one that was just put out not too long ago? I can't remember what it's called, but it's definitely on my list! (So no, I haven't read it yet.)

Old September 2nd, 2008, 5:41 pm
Qvack...

Well worth the read. I know it's five pounds for the book, but its a handwritten story. You might just be able to find it on Waterstones website, it's very short altogether.

THE DUCK.

Old September 2nd, 2008, 5:44 pm

Ah - well, this Yank might have to check Barnes and Noble, but I'm pretty sure I saw it (or at least what I thought was it) in the library not too long ago. Thanks.

Old October 8th, 2008, 8:45 am
Fourth Year

Neil Gaiman is a very good writer, I think. I have read Stardust (I got it for Cristmas last year, thats how I discovered Gaiman) and Coraline. It was soooo creepy! I was afraid of dolls with black button eyes for a long time after I read it! I hope I will get to read more of Gaiman's books. It is difficult to find them in English in the librarys here in Norway though, but the translations are not so good so I'll wait until I find them in English, get them for birthday/Cristmas or can afford buying them myself.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:30 pm
Qvack...

He is a good writer, without doubt. I always wonder how he comes up with his ideas... Does he just sit there and stare into space and hope for the best? I've not read anything I haven't liked... Even the more mature and potentially offensive (See Babycakes for my meaning...) short stories. He never fails to pack a punch, and that's a talent.

THE DUCK.

Old October 9th, 2008, 6:00 am

I did a report on Gaiman for my fiction workshop once. This is one of the quotes I found, his response to 'where do you get your ideas:' "I make them up. Out of my head." He also makes the astute observation that everyone has ideas, all the time. They happen when you're half-asleep, when you're eating breakfast, when you're stuck in traffic. The only difference between writers and everyone else is that writers recognize when they're having ideas, and jot them down.

Old October 10th, 2008, 4:22 pm
Qvack...

"I make them up. Out of my head." I mean, who else would get away with saying something so oddly endearing! I love Gaiman for his originality. Did you ever see, on the inside cover of his book jackets, sometimes there's a picture of him and a short blurb, and in the blurb it says "He thanks you for your offer of a comb, but doesn't think it would do any good". I love the quirky humour, not just in that, but the way it goes through every single one of his books, even in the weirder, darker ones.

THE DUCK.

Old October 10th, 2008, 11:20 pm

^Oh yeah, that quirkly sense of humor is what I love about him. There's no story too macabre to inject a little good-natured realism into!

Old October 21st, 2008, 2:38 pm
First Year

Neil Gaiman is a genuine modern literature Master.

Love him

Old October 21st, 2008, 10:19 pm

^He is that indeed.

OH! v-duck, I just bought M is for Magic - the collection I think we were talking about before. I haven't had a chance to really look at it yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Old October 22nd, 2008, 4:12 am
Qvack...

I do remember us talking about that at some stage! Well worth the read!

I think my favourite thing of Gaiman's is his talent for short stories. His topic coverage is vast, he changes course very often- some of his stories are shocking, others are funny, others are touching. He reminds me of Charles Schulz in the way he can just bring human emotion across with virtually no effort. He makes it look so simple!

THE DUCK.

Old January 18th, 2009, 12:57 am
First Year

After being houded by a friend of mine to give it a go, I read American Gods a few months back and fell in love. This novel was brilliant - I couldn't put it down, and when I did I would struggle to pick it up again knowing that if I did I would have to got through another arguement with myself to put it down. It took me weeks to get it out of my head when I was fnally finished, so that I could read something else.

The problem that I now have though, is that I don't know where to go from here. I have, as far as I know, not read any of his other work. And I find myself starring at his website's list of works wondering what I should attempt next. I don't want to find that my second encounter with NG is a let down after such an amazing experience with American Gods - what would you all recommend I move onto next???

"But I hate things all fiction... there should always be some foundation of fact for the most
airy fabric -- and pure invention is but the talent of a liar."

- Lord Byron
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy