Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Alcemist: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

Old January 7th, 2009, 3:15 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Re: The Alcemist: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_Suki View Post
I think that's a necessary plot point especially after Mars mentioned his twin sons Romulus and Remus. Twi and La; yin and yang; push and pull; sun and moon; love and hate. Someone got to the original twins and manilpulated them into tearing Danu Talis apart and ending the age of the Elders. We see Dee consistently trying to manipulate Josh and we see how his jealousy allows him to be vunerable to that exploitation and how the changes now have begun a small wedge between he and his sister.

It's interesting that the sun is the "greater work" and the moon is the "lesser work" yet Sophie was the first and Josh the last, in birth order.
I agree that it is an important plot point - how else would Josh have been awoken in the second book? Flamel didn't have the resources to get him to someone who could awaken him and Dee did. Josh needed to feel isolated and different to be willing to go along with the 'dark side.'

I guess my complaint was that it was mentioned too much, that it was persistent throughout the second book. I wish it had come in big waves and not been constant.

Old January 19th, 2009, 5:49 am
Pernicious Blood Traitor

So any idea if we're gonna see Scathach return? And who will Flamel and the twins meet up with to escape the trio of cannibals waiting for them in London?

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.
Old January 19th, 2009, 3:36 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
So any idea if we're gonna see Scathach return? And who will Flamel and the twins meet up with to escape the trio of cannibals waiting for them in London?
This is a spoiler about scathach so dont click if you dont want to know.

Spoiler: show
The author has confirmed via the forums on the flamels immortal portal fansite that we will in fact see scathach return, but has not said when or where. Feel free to head over to the fansite and check it out for more first hand knowledge from the author, the info is in my sig.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Old January 19th, 2009, 9:17 pm
Pernicious Blood Traitor

Yay! Scatty will return, that's great news.

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.
Old April 17th, 2009, 9:58 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Oh, I've read them, they're great books. Though truthfully, they do start off kinda dull and you've got to slog on but if you stick to it, they really pick up and the action becomes amazingly intense.
Yeah if you stick with them they really pick up. It's to the point where I really can't wait for the remainder of the series.

I found this surfing the net the other day, for any Flamel/Alchemyst fans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z3OnTkMN9A

Old April 22nd, 2009, 4:48 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzzardree View Post
Yeah if you stick with them they really pick up. It's to the point where I really can't wait for the remainder of the series.

I found this surfing the net the other day, for any Flamel/Alchemyst fans:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z3OnTkMN9A
I yes that is very fun i did it last night, my aura is blue... did anyone else complete the challenge?

Old April 29th, 2009, 5:01 pm

I just remembered that The Sorceress was coming out at the end of May. I'm so excited - I've been looking for something good to read.

I wonder if this series will pick up in popularity after the 3rd books is out. Isn't that when HP started gaining momentum as a fandom?

oooh from now until May 8th get a free e-book (pdf) of The Alchemist.
The B&N link didn't work but the Red Balloon one did...

http://www.randomhouse.com/teens/alchemyst/free/

Last edited by HMN; April 29th, 2009 at 5:37 pm.
Old May 12th, 2009, 9:36 pm
Second Year

I had a question and I'm too lazy to dig up my copy of the book, but what is the name of the half man/half boar soldiers that guard Hekate's shadow realm? I think it's some two word Latin phrase, but I can't recall anything specific....

Old May 13th, 2009, 2:35 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
I had a question and I'm too lazy to dig up my copy of the book, but what is the name of the half man/half boar soldiers that guard Hekate's shadow realm? I think it's some two word Latin phrase, but I can't recall anything specific....
the wereboars are called torc allta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN
I just remembered that The Sorceress was coming out at the end of May. I'm so excited - I've been looking for something good to read.

I wonder if this series will pick up in popularity after the 3rd books is out. Isn't that when HP started gaining momentum as a fandom?
yes i believe HP picked up steam right around the 3rd/4th book when the first movie was released, which was around the time I started reading HP, i hadnt really heard much about HP prior to the movie being advertised and discussed. Im wondering if they ever get the movie for the alchemyst going if it will do the same for this franchise. I know the first two books have already hit the new york times best sellers list, and they recently ran a campaign advertising the free ebooks in over 200 theaters across 10 major cities in front of the x-men wolverine movie, so i expect this series could see big numbers in the future possibly comparable to harry potter proportions.

Old May 20th, 2009, 9:33 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacecadet View Post
the wereboars are called torc allta.

Im wondering if they ever get the movie for the alchemyst going if it will do the same for this franchise. I know the first two books have already hit the new york times best sellers list, and they recently ran a campaign advertising the free ebooks in over 200 theaters across 10 major cities in front of the x-men wolverine movie, so i expect this series could see big numbers in the future possibly comparable to harry potter proportions.
First of all, thanks for the Torc Allta info.

Secondly, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this series really take off, ala HP. I know they are already in pre-production of the first movie; nothing is set in stone, but I've heard it might be out as early as this winter. But by the time the first film comes out, there will be 3 or 4 books already released (which will only be made more popular by the movie hype), and it could easily mushroom into a really lucrative franchise. If they've already put the effort into making the Alchemyst Game, I figure the powers that be are banking on this series to really gain in popularity. And profit, of course.

Old May 21st, 2009, 2:53 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
First of all, thanks for the Torc Allta info.

Secondly, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see this series really take off, ala HP. I know they are already in pre-production of the first movie; nothing is set in stone, but I've heard it might be out as early as this winter. But by the time the first film comes out, there will be 3 or 4 books already released (which will only be made more popular by the movie hype), and it could easily mushroom into a really lucrative franchise. If they've already put the effort into making the Alchemyst Game, I figure the powers that be are banking on this series to really gain in popularity. And profit, of course.

yes i definitely agree with most of this. However as far as a winter movie release is concerned, its highly unlikely at this point. Last i heard they were still working out the second draft of a script and with the new line cinema merger to WB this unfortunately could get placed on the backburner (although i sincerely hope this is not the case) This series has definite potential to take off and its at about the exact right place to do so (with two books out a third out any day now and a 1st movie deal in the works), and I agree, I think a movie would really help that happen, similar to what a movie did for the harry potter franchise. HP was big before the SS movie, but it exploded after it.

As for this series, its pretty big now as the books have made the NY times best seller list and have been placed on amazon's summer reading list, and the sorceress is on both amazon and borders top 100 preordered books lists. So the series is big, it just needs that extra push to explode! And with any luck that will happen here soon, cause this series definitely has potter potential!

Old May 21st, 2009, 7:46 pm
Second Year

Quote:
However as far as a winter movie release is concerned, its highly unlikely at this point.
Haha yeah there might have been a little wishful thinking influencing my last post. Realistically, the movie probably won't be ready until NEXT winter, and that's if it stays in development, which it might not, given the merger business you mentioned. I guess I can get by on reading the Sorceress for now, but I just want to see this movie!!!!

Old May 21st, 2009, 9:55 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Haha yeah there might have been a little wishful thinking influencing my last post. Realistically, the movie probably won't be ready until NEXT winter, and that's if it stays in development, which it might not, given the merger business you mentioned. I guess I can get by on reading the Sorceress for now, but I just want to see this movie!!!!
Haha yes i agree the sorceress release is really exciting and im totally looking forward to it, and after that, there is a lot of discussion and exciting things going on with the fandom to tide us over for a while and hopefully there will be a movie to add to the excitement!

Old May 22nd, 2009, 1:58 am
Second Year

For sure, I'm re-reading the Magician right now just to prep myself for the Sorceress. God I hate Dr. Dee!!!!!!

Old May 22nd, 2009, 3:32 am
Seventh Year

Great... Another series I'm gonna have to check out.

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old May 22nd, 2009, 7:37 pm
Second Year

Quote:
and after that, there is a lot of discussion and exciting things going on with the fandom to tide us over for a while and hopefully there will be a movie to add to the excitement!

very true...hopefully more fans come out of the woodwork with the release of the Sorceress...

Old May 26th, 2009, 11:08 pm
Second Year

Big Day today! Who's excited about the Sorceress coming out in the U.S.?!??!!?

Old June 1st, 2009, 3:59 pm

Mine came last Thursday, and I'm already done with it. I thought this one was great. Lots of action - the whole book is one big chase, but definitely a good read.

It seems that the beginning of the next one The Necromancer will show some down time from the way The Sorceress ended. I feel like we all could use some rest! I'd like to see some strategy plotted out in the next one.

I am so surprised this series hasn't had more fanfare around it. The first three books are really good, well written, exciting, and there is more to come.

Maybe because it is hard to speculate about? But I do wonder what the final battle will be like - how the twins will be schooled in the 5 elements of magic within 2 weeks time - and how they'll get the Codex back. Seems a lot to take on!

Also: What will the meaning of Clarent and Excalibur merging into one sword mean, and how the heck will Scatty and Joan get back to modern time!

Old June 1st, 2009, 4:39 pm
Rocket Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
Mine came last Thursday, and I'm already done with it. I thought this one was great. Lots of action - the whole book is one big chase, but definitely a good read.

It seems that the beginning of the next one The Necromancer will show some down time from the way The Sorceress ended. I feel like we all could use some rest! I'd like to see some strategy plotted out in the next one.

I am so surprised this series hasn't had more fanfare around it. The first three books are really good, well written, exciting, and there is more to come.

Maybe because it is hard to speculate about? But I do wonder what the final battle will be like - how the twins will be schooled in the 5 elements of magic within 2 weeks time - and how they'll get the Codex back. Seems a lot to take on!

Also: What will the meaning of Clarent and Excalibur merging into one sword mean, and how the heck will Scatty and Joan get back to modern time!
I agree this book was very fast paced, and very well written, lots of exciting twists and fun new characters. And of course many more puzzles left to be solved and lots more room for more speculation which is always fun. And the first chapter of the necromancer only left me wishing i had more to read now. However i imagine based on who showed up that the twins time to rest will be short lived. Cause lets face it they have less than a month to get things done, i dont think theres much time for sitting around, resting and executing well thought out plans, I dont think there will be much planning going on, especially as we near closer and closer to the conclusion of the series.

As for the fandom, there seems to be steady growth over time, but its not as well known as i think its going to be in the future. The books have hit the best seller lists which means more and more people will be finding out about them, and i expect the sorceress to do the same. There are up and coming tours from the author so im sure that will help raise awareness about the series as well. And im sure more and more people are telling their friends about the series. But, and ive i said it before, i think the thing that will have the biggest effect on this series will be the movie (assuming its made well, which i think with the planning that seems to have gone into it thus far it should be) Until this movie is made, the series is not going to be as well known as it should be and will not get the attention is deserves. It was the same with harry potter, they books were big but not huge until there was a movie to spread the word, lots of people had no idea what harry potter was before the movie, now pretty much everyone knows about harry potter, even if they havent read the books.

as for the swords it bodes a huge question, is the prophecy talking about the twins or the swords, or in some capacity both. Should be interesting to see how this develops and if this two that are one also corresponds to the other two elemental swords or if its just clarent and excalibur or just the twins. As for scatty and joan, well i expect we will be seeing them again at some point but probably not right away. I expect this is where the twins learning to use the magic of time will come into play. Which i expect wont happen in the next book. I expect to see them learn some earth magic, and maybe get josh trained in fire (im guessing from germaine). And then later we will see them try to get the codex back and learn the magic of time and go and rescue scatty and joan. Granted neither one of them is helpless, i just dont see either of them pulling time travel back to present day out of their bag of tricks.

Old June 1st, 2009, 5:07 pm

Quote:
as for the swords it bodes a huge question, is the prophecy talking about the twins or the swords, or in some capacity both. Should be interesting to see how this develops and if this two that are one also corresponds to the other two elemental swords or if its just clarent and excalibur or just the twins. As for scatty and joan, well i expect we will be seeing them again at some point but probably not right away. I expect this is where the twins learning to use the magic of time will come into play. Which i expect wont happen in the next book. I expect to see them learn some earth magic, and maybe get josh trained in fire (im guessing from germaine). And then later we will see them try to get the codex back and learn the magic of time and go and rescue scatty and joan. Granted neither one of them is helpless, i just dont see either of them pulling time travel back to present day out of their bag of tricks.
As for as rest and time - I'm thinking like a few hours of them sitting at a table like they did at St. Germain's house. Just a bit of a break to let us know how they plan to proceed. Esp now that they have an additional member with them to work things out.

Regarding what you have in your spoiler tags...
I had the same thought about the swords - the two that are one. That was well done, and I really appreciated that they mentioned that there were 4 elemental swords so that we know that there are 2 more out there.

And you're sooo right about the training of Time - I so forgot about that, makes perfect sense. I kept thinking that they'd use some technology from today and use the laygate when it opened again to get back - but your solution makes MUCH more sense. I also think that Sophie will end up training Josh in one of the forms of magic based on the Witches memories.

Oooh and in the first chapter of Necromancer - Scatty's sister shows up! That will be fun. I have to go back to book one to see where her aliances lie.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy