Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Harry Potter-type books

Old January 9th, 2008, 9:15 pm
First Year

Harry Potter-type books

Hey guys its great to be on mugglenet's forum after quite a while. I just finished re-reading all the harry potter books last week and now I am bored.

Basically what I wanted to ask was, if you could recommend some good books that are similar to Harry Potter, it would be awesome

I am looking for something along the lines of fantasy/magic type books that are geared towards teens (not adults). Ive heard of some such as Artemis Fowl and Chronicles of Narnia but I was wondering if there are some that you highly recommend

Thanks for helping out!

Serjism

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2008, 9:19 pm
First Year

Re: Harry Potter-type books

Inkheart and Inkspell (third book coming this year) by Cornelia Funke.

I've been reading Harry Potter since SS/PS came out, and for the past seven or eight odd years they've been my favorite books. When I read Inkheart, after only three or four chapters it rose to the second spot, nearly topping HP.

It's a fantasy-like series, and has just the right touch of Magic and mystery. The MC is a twelve year old girl, but she's very adultish, and is very easy to relate to by people of all ages.

Cornelia Funke is the second top-selling author in England, if that counts for anything

I greatly reccomend these books!

Arianna

Currently Writing: She Was Broken, He Was Torn
One True Pairing: Harry/Draco
Old January 9th, 2008, 10:24 pm
Third Year

I think that eragon and the Elder are good books too by Christopher Paolini. Third book is coming soon ( I think )

Like a wilful stray cat, full of pride and freedom... bearing wounds that can't be healed...
Old January 18th, 2008, 3:35 pm
First Year

Percy Jackson and the Olympians is a great series! Fairly quick reads, full of action, with just the right dose of humor

Last edited by wuzupbling22; April 5th, 2008 at 11:33 pm.
Old March 25th, 2008, 5:46 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzupbling22 View Post
Percy Jackson and the Olympains is a great series! Fairly quick reads, full of action, with just the right dose of humor
Yes, that's definitely worth a try. Especially if you like Greek Myths and Legends. There are three books so far:

-The Lightning Thief
-The Sea of Monsters
-The Titan's Curse.

The 4th one, The Battle of the Labyrinth, is coming out soon. By the way, the books are by Rick Riordan.

Old March 25th, 2008, 5:53 am
Sixth Year

I love the Percy Jackson books!

Anyway, has anyone heard of the Gideon Trilogy? They're supposed to be similar to Harry Potter. The first one's called The Time Travelers, or something. I own it, but I haven't gotten very far into it yet.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 7:56 am
Curse Breaker

The life and times of the cut-purse. Yeah, that's a good series as well, but it's more time-travel than anything else.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:23 am
Sixth Year

Definitively, The Chronicles of Narnia is a good choice, probably one of the best fantasy series in the world.

The Eragon books are funny and easy to read, though I don't like them especially.

What about Tolkien? If you're looking for books geared towards teens The Lord of the Rings may be a bit heavy, but The Hobbit is easier.

Old April 4th, 2008, 4:54 pm
Beauxbatons Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
What about Tolkien? If you're looking for books geared towards teens The Lord of the Rings may be a bit heavy, but The Hobbit is easier.
I'd say that Tolkien would be a good choice if you enjoyed the Harry Potter series. Personally, I didn't find LotR that hard going (apart from in the very middle when I thought it was never going to end). The Hobbit is definitely a more fun and lgihter read, though.

Writing Contest ~ CoS Graphics Contest ~ LoonyMagic's Icons ~ loonyabby_icons at LiveJournal
Old April 4th, 2008, 6:53 pm
Registered Animagus

The Charlie Bone Series... right now there are 6 books (I think)

If you want more information, I created a thread here...

It is kinda similar and very fun to read!

Old April 5th, 2008, 11:34 pm
First Year

Wicked by Gregory Maguire

Old April 6th, 2008, 1:44 am
Curse Breaker

Yeah, but that's a REAL headtrip--Galinda as a spoiled brat (at least in the beginning) and our green anti-heroine as a voice for rights and fair treatment of animals--just too strange for me.

No worries. No spoilers here.
Old April 17th, 2008, 10:18 pm
Third Year

There's one by Eva Ibbotson which is quite similar in plot to PS - I think ut's called something like the Secret of Platform 13. I don't think it's a HP rip off though because I believe it was written (well published) before any of the HP books although I can't be sure. Anyway, I enjoyed it.

There's one called the Crystal Mask by Katherine Roberts which is a good read although apparently a sequal to a book called The Song Quest. I didn't read this first book so you can obviously get away with not reading them in order, but it might be a good idea.

However, the only other book that I considered reading more than once (other than the HP series, that is) is called The Power of Three by Diana Wynne Jones (if you recognise the name it's because she wrote the original Howl's Moving Castle before it was turned into a film by Hayao Miyazaki - but that's another story). Anyway that's a fantastic book and I'd highly recommend it to any HP fans.

Old April 21st, 2008, 2:36 pm
First Year

I review books for a kids magazone and we get new releases one I can recommend is The Elements of Lore - if you loved Potter then you will love it: a boy gets taken to a secret location, learns the truth about science which is a bit like magic and has numerous adventres its really great!
General release May but there are early editions around now for the lucky few.
Its got a facebbok site and a website www.theelementsoflore.co.uk
Other good books I would recommend are Artemis Fowl - they are ace and the G P Taylor books Shadowmancer www.shadowmancer.co.uk.
And not forgetting the Jonathon Stroud books - nathaniel is an ace character!!!

Old June 23rd, 2008, 8:58 pm
First Year

Did anyone check out my recommendations?
IS anyone there??

Old July 2nd, 2008, 5:43 pm
First Year

If you're looking for something similar to Harry Potter than I would try reading The Warrior Heir and its sequel The Wizard Heir by Cinda Williams Chima. They are not as well known but are very similar to Harry Potter.

Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:52 am
I want to believe

Hmm maybe Harry Dresden would be a good read. I'd also recommend Eragon/the Inheritance Trilogy. And there's the Pellinor series by Alison Croggon which definitely has the fantasy and magic elements.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old October 8th, 2008, 8:53 am
Fourth Year

I would reccomand the Artemis Fowl books (by Eoin Colfer), the Inkworld trilogy (by Cornelia Funke), the Septimus Heap books (by Angie Sage), the Bartimaeus trilogy (by Jonathan Stroud) and The Wind on Fire trilogy by William Nicholson. All of these are great books, and they are about fantasy and magic - though the magic might be a bit different from the Harry Potter magic.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old October 8th, 2008, 9:19 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

The Dream Merchant by Isobel Hoving is very good. The main character is a 12 year old boy and it's a very original story.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old October 8th, 2008, 10:28 pm
Qvack...

I suppose I'd go with Lord of the Rings if you've not read it already. Along with that, I'd recommend the Trudi Canavan "Black Magician" Trilogy, beginning with "The Magician's Guild". Yes, Eragon I would agree with, but Canavan builds in the learning and school factor that provided stability for the Potter series too.

If you're feeling like a real challenge and a real saga (I'm talking over 12000 pages with more to come), I'd go with Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series. It's tough going in places, but the characters and attention to detail is beyond comparison if you like that sort of thing. I won't lie, parts of it are so lazily written and difficult to read, but without doubt Jordan has a huge talent for detail. It has love, hate, politics, dark lord, "magic", swords, shields, battles, and destiny... Not sure what else you might want!

And, finally, William Golding's The Princess Bride. Now there's a book beyond compare. Well worth the read!

THE DUCK.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy