Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Lemony Snicket

Old May 6th, 2007, 3:51 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Re: Lemony Snicket

You guys are depressing me, I don't think I want to finish the series now. It is pretty annoying how he repeats everything, but they're awesome! My sister likes them too. She didn't finish the series either because I haven't bought the books!

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:53 pm
Third Year

Can someone tell me how the series ends? I've read about half of the books, but I don't really like the series that much. I just want to know because they mentioned it on an old PotterCast.

Do you like The Daily Show with Jon Stewart? Then visit my petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/daily135/petition.html and sign your name to get the earlier episodes released on DVD!

Save the Canon at http://community.livejournal.com/sporkhpmovie

I'm engaged to Remus Lupin!!!
Old July 26th, 2007, 4:38 am
First Year

For the endings check wikipedia.org
The final book had the worst ending ever. NO questions were answered, new ones were brought up.

Old July 26th, 2007, 4:42 am
Zonko's Employee

I was reading them and just waiting for something to really HAPPEN. Nope. Very lame ending. It was still fun, though, and I enjoyed the movie.

Old July 26th, 2007, 5:09 am
Registered Animagus

I loved all of the books until the last one So unsatisfying

Old July 26th, 2007, 5:14 am
First Year

i have read all of them. i agree with everyone else, the end was kind of disappointing

Old July 27th, 2007, 6:46 pm
Sixth Year

I like the books, interesting plot idea Handler had. I do have to say though, the last book really wasn't good to me. I expected more from it, and we are all left clueless.

- I John 4:18

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Enter the world of my fanfictions! Deviantart
Old July 27th, 2007, 8:31 pm
Second Year

I absolutely love the Unfortunate Events Series. I love how they evolve so much from a simple goodies and baddies story to one with many twists-VFD, Kit Snicket and the island- and the three Baudelaires evolve with them. My favourite book is the Austere Academy because that's when the Quagmires and VFD are introduced and also i think Carmiletta Spatz is evil but fantastic creation.

Has anyone else read The Beatrice Letters-they're set ten years after the end and Beatrice is trying to find the Baudelaires and Lemony Snicket. I really enjoyed reading it and if you like a series of unfortunate events, it's worth a shot.

Old July 29th, 2007, 10:05 am
Third Year

Yeah The Beatrice Letters was good. I liked pushing the letters out to make words.

Did any of you read Horseradish and other bitter truths you can't avoid? Are there any clues in it about the series? I flicked through it in the shop but didn't buy it as it just looked like a series of random quotes...

Old August 16th, 2007, 1:55 am
Second Year

i think the series is good-though its not as good as HP-but its still a useful alternative since it has a different writing style (which,in my opinion, is its BIGGEST selling point) and an unusual plot.

the movie was excellent-I LOVED IT-thought they were going to make a mess of the it my bundling together the first few books into a single movie-but it turned out brilliant. jim carrey-outstanding as always+some pretty good acting from the kids as well(which was surprising,since i was kinda expecting a wooden performance from them)

Last edited by frag12; August 25th, 2007 at 8:08 am.
Old October 6th, 2007, 7:02 am
Sixth Year

I know a lot of people like these books, but I honestly don't get it. I don't like the books. I read the first two and they just seemed like they were about nothing. Or maybe because I just like happy endings.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old October 6th, 2007, 7:14 am
Superman

They are enjoyable but repetitive. Like many series the ending was a bit of a mess.

Ronald Weasley is Harry's best friend, best known to his peers as living proof that God doesn't exist.

Hermione Granger is Harry's other friend. She possesses the "plot device", a mystical artifact famed for its ability to counter the feared Wryter's Block.

Ginny Weasley The girl Harry loves. Without her, Harry would have been just as emo in the sixth book as he was in the fifth book.

Source: Uncyclopedia
Old October 6th, 2007, 8:24 am
Seventh Year

I was reading these a few years ago. I think I got up to about number nine when I got a bit bored of them. They are alright books but I kind of got bored of the storyline. It felt like it was dragging out a bit and he just kept writing these books for the sole purpose of reaching book 13 (as opposed to writing to develop a story). Just my opinion. But they are alright. I might have to get back into them sometime so I can see how the Baudelaire kids ended up.

Old November 7th, 2007, 5:29 am
Seventh Year

Yeah I did read the Beatrice letters they were nice to read. The ending was bizarre but when I look back at it its nice that it didn’t have a typical cliché happy ever after ending like most books do. I think Mr. Snicket was trying to emphasize that one doesn’t always get the answers to their problems or when /if they do there are more questions, things don’t always work out the way we want them too.

Last edited by dobby_rocks; November 7th, 2007 at 5:31 am.
Old November 12th, 2007, 7:20 pm
Secret Keeper

theyre pretty good, but he emphasizes the dreariness too much, and it gets boring after a while

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old November 25th, 2007, 8:49 am
Sixth Year

I really liked them at first (I started reading them when I was like 9 or 10), but lost interest after The Grim Grotto. Last holidays I was thinking of reading Penultimate Peril and The End, but my friends who had read it told me not to waste my time and I trust them. I asked what happened and they said nothing was really resolved, so I didn't bother with it...

"Don't get too friendly with him, though, Rosie. Granddad Weasley would never forgive you if you married a pure-blood."
Old November 27th, 2007, 9:23 pm
Secret Keeper

yeah, it goes off with a cliff hanger, and that REALLY bothers me. I didn't care if it ended with a happy ending or not, i just didnt want no satisfying ending.

This is a spoiler of how the book ends, so don't read this if you dont want it spoiled. but its really stupid anyways, so i may as well just save you the misery.
Spoiler: show
They get stranded on an island, where its kind of like a dictatorship and all the people listen to this guy who wants everyone to be the same and not modern. and they eat the same stuff every day, wear the same stuff, etc. I don't remember what happened to Count Olaf, but i think he ruled the inhabitants in the end. and in the end, they take off on the boat with the baby of Kit Snicket. it was sooooooo horribly done. i can't believe i read all 13 books for this. if it was like a trilogy or something, i wouldn't be as mad, but i read 13 books about this!!!! i didn't really enjoy all of them either, so....

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old November 27th, 2007, 11:00 pm
Second Year

Count Olaf died. Ishmael killed him with the harpoon gun. You weren't completely off, though, he tried to take over the island (and name it Olaf-land ), but he didn't succeed

I think that the open ending was a good ending for the series, but I would have preferred it to be less open. If everything in the entire series were to be explained, it would take a lot more than 13 books.

It did get repetitive toward the end, but I really like the way they're written.

R.I.P. Severus Snape - Trustworthy to the end

Proud member of OFINOA!!!

Last edited by Hawkowl; November 27th, 2007 at 11:00 pm. Reason: punctuation error
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:40 pm
Second Year

They were great when I was 10ish. But then I got bored of reading the same thing over and over although I did finish the series.
I think its because the books came out too slowly and I grew up so wasn't very interesting after! (not that i'm very mature for my age hehe)
If anyone gets what i'm trying to say.

When you 'bless my cotton socks,' please don't bless my cotton socks.

I wear Gold - Plated, diamond encrusted ones!

So indeed, it should be....'Bless your gold - plated, diamond encrusted socks'.

Toodles.

Proud member of GSWIA! (Guys Sound Wow with an Irish Accent!)
Old November 28th, 2007, 12:22 am
Sixth Year

I did love the books...then the movie and book 13 ruined everything!

THE QUAGMIRES NEVER CAME BACK!!!! WHAT-THE-HECK???? NOTHING WAS EXPLAINED! It was like...a bad joke...

- I John 4:18

PROUD MEMBER OF OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Enter the world of my fanfictions! Deviantart
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy