Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

The Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer v.3

Old December 3rd, 2012, 5:20 pm
Seventh Year

Re: The Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRW View Post
Well after resisting the Twillight temptation for years I finally fell prey to the hype and read the books over the last month and as Lord Voldemort would say, I confess myself disappointed.

Quote:
What exactly is the plot in the books? I know it's a romance series and eventually Bell and Edward get together but throughout the series I was looking for some sort of plot to materialise and it never did.
I, too, have a hard time finding a plot in these books, but I do admit that the worst one is Twilight and the others are moderately better (in that there are definable character goals or end points being worked towards - Save Edward from committing suicide; Keep Bella alive; Protect the Cullen clan from dessimation whereas in Twlight there is no definable goal until after the baseball game - then it's the same goal as book 3: keep Bella alive - which is why, IMO, the baseball game should have been moved up in the timeline so that it happens in the first, say, five chapters of the book). New Moon is the least objectionable to me personally because it actually has something interesting going on in that Jacob's character is developed (the best of any character in the series, to me) and, while I have major objections to it, the "Bella pining for Edward" thing does actually drive the story much better than any of the other books in that there are actual consequences in New Moon - Bella becomes suicidal, as does Edward, and there's something akin to "action" toward the end of the book as Bella attempts to save Edward from getting himself killed.

Quote:
Why exactly does Bella love Edward? Other than her constant and nauseating thoughts of how god like he is there is no other reason given as to why she likes him and it makes her look rather shallow.
Their relationship is completely shallow (IMO). Bella "falls in love" with Edward aftering annointing him to be a greek god and discovering that he is a vampire. Edward "falls in love" with Bella after discovering that she smells like the best meal ever cooked and discovers that she's the only person on the planet immune to his mind-reading skills. They have nothing in common otherwise. I feel like Meyers was trying to make Bella an "old soul" kind of character in Twilight (in order to equate her better with Edward who is, literally, an old soul in that he's like 100 years old) but I think it failed completely and Bella just became a stodgey, antisocial but obsurdly popular, surly teenager.

Quote:
Are we seriously supposed to believe Charlie is some high up police chief?
I didn't really have a big issue with Charlie's job or job title in the books, seeing as how Forks is supposed to be a pretty small town I was willing to buy in to the conceit that Charlie was, inexplicably, the high man on the totem pole.

Quote:
The most annoying thing about the series are the Mary Sue's. In Harry Potter even the wise old man Dumbledore has huge flaws. There's no character progression at all.
I think the only character that gets anything akin to "growth" is Jacob. He begins the series as a kind of goofy 15-year-old kid with a big time crush on Bella and during the course of the books ends up become a werewolf, overcoming major jealousy and becoming, literally, the leader of the pack. That's why I like Jacob the best out of all the characters.

Quote:
]How on earth have these books generated so much hype?
A tried and true genre (romance) coupled with a novel (as in unique) approach to the horror genre. Mash 'em together and you get the Twlight franchise.

I also think that Twilight wouldn't have had a leg to stand on without the fanbase of Harry Potter that primed the world for stories of reimagined cliches and catered to a similar audience. It seems that most Twlight fans that I have run across were also Harry Potter fans, and similarly, most Hunger Games fans were also Harry Potter fans. (I have only met one person who has read Twilight and Hunger Games but not Harry Potter.)

Quote:
How the hell did anyone get through first part of the second book without cursing Meyer?
I listened to them in audiobook format so I just tuned out until I heard something interesting and began paying more attention to the story again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AldeberanBlack View Post
Spoiler: show
Twilight makes more sense if you pretend that all of it takes place in the mind of Bella Swan.
Truth.

Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:23 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRW View Post
Well after resisting the Twillight temptation for years I finally fell prey to the hype and read the books over the last month and as Lord Voldemort would say, I confess myself disappointed.

What exactly is the plot in the books? I know it's a romance series and eventually Bell and Edward get together but throughout the series I was looking for some sort of plot to materialise and it never did.

Why exactly does Bella love Edward? Other than her constant and nauseating thoughts of how god like he is there is no other reason given as to why she likes him and it makes her look rather shallow.

Are we seriously supposed to believe Charlie is some high up police chief?

The most annoying thing about the series are the Mary Sue's. In Harry Potter even the wise old man Dumbledore has huge flaws. There's no character progression at all.

How on earth have these books generated so much hype? How the hell did anyone get through first part of the second book without cursing Meyer?
Well, I read the first book in middle school and it was one of the first romance novels I'd read and the addition of a vampire made it extra cool so I fell in love with it right away (not to mention all my friends had read it and talked about it a lot). But I was 'new' to that genre so I didn't really have any other book of it's type to compare it to which is also why I thought it was the best.
After reading the third book my enthusiasm eventually wore off and I never got to the fourth book and I've only watched the first half of the first Twilight movie.
I'm not saying the books are horrible or anything but after reading more books, I feel they're not the best. I think a lot of people love them because they'd like to be in Bella's shoes (i.e perfect boyfriend, happily ever after). It's like a fairy tale in some ways. There are 'disturbing' elements to Bella and Edward's relationship but maybe people don't notice that (I know I didn't when I first read the books; I thought everything Edward did was sweet).

Old December 4th, 2012, 12:50 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf17 View Post
There are 'disturbing' elements to Bella and Edward's relationship but maybe people don't notice that (I know I didn't when I first read the books; I thought everything Edward did was sweet).
I'm not trying to offend you by saying this but I think that thinking what Edward did was sweet was at least partially a product of the age at which you read the book for the first time (middle school-age so between 12 and 14 years old). I'd venture to say that 80-90% of kids at that young an age wouldn't recognize the dangers, flaws or drawbacks in Edward's (or Jacob's) behavior toward Bella because they have virtually no experience with romantic relationships. I know that I would probably have felt the same if I had read these books for the first time at a much more impressionable age than I did (my mid-twenties)

What baffles me is that grown women read these books and find Edward (and, again, Jacob's) behavior towards Bella acceptable - and not only acceptable but desirable. That scares me.

Maybe I'm just cynical, or a pessimist or too independantly minded but I never found Edward desirable as prospective boyfriend or husband and while I do think that I may have had a different impression of the books had I read them when I was younger, I know from experience with other clingy, needy, dicatorial or domineering "romantic leading man" type fictional characters that I still might have had an issue with Edward (see Wolf from the mini series The 10th Kingdom for a start; a sweet, funny, charming character but at age 15 I knew for a fact that I could never deal with a guy as clingy and single-mindedly obsessed about his mate as Wolf was.)

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy