Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Codex Alera

Old May 28th, 2009, 7:44 pm
First Year

Re: Codex Alera

Well, I suppose the swords might be metal. Although one is on fire, so I don't know...

As for Gaius, I understand that there was nothing else he could really do, but that doesn't justify it, in my opinion. He could have at least been clearer on what he was planning to do.

Old May 28th, 2009, 11:21 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
I'm not sure what else Gaius could have done though He isn't a character that I really like either, but I have sympathy for him. Whatever he did it would have been wrong. He had to make a decision.
I agree. He had to choose between killing several thousand to save hundreds of thousands, or loosing hundreds of thousands in a fight to dig out Kalare.

It sucked either way, but his way was probably better in the long run.

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old June 8th, 2009, 12:38 am
First Year

I have now finished Princep's Fury.

I thought the Canim were very interesting in their homeland though
Spoiler: show
It is sad that they were all but wiped out

Also, I thought that the Icemen were interesting, I hadn't known what to think of them before. Will they play a part in the next book, I wonder?

Old June 8th, 2009, 3:27 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish_Earrings View Post
I have now finished Princep's Fury.

I thought the Canim were very interesting in their homeland though
It is sad that they were all but wiped out

Also, I thought that the Icemen were interesting, I hadn't known what to think of them before. Will they play a part in the next book, I wonder?
I think it would be riddiculous to introduce them now and then not bring them back later. I hope they are helping to defeat the Vord in the next book.

Ok, who or what is Alera? The girl. I think it's the Fury of Gaius and now that he's dead she's Tavi's. I'm not sure, but I think she will give him his full power back now.

The End of the Dream.
Old June 8th, 2009, 3:52 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshi View Post
I think it would be riddiculous to introduce them now and then not bring them back later. I hope they are helping to defeat the Vord in the next book.

Ok, who or what is Alera? The girl. I think it's the Fury of Gaius and now that he's dead she's Tavi's. I'm not sure, but I think she will give him his full power back now.
I don't know what Alera is. My first impression, when Ehren saw her and Gaius talking, was that she was a great fury, like Kalus. But mabye she is a royal fury. But then why wouldn't she go to the current First Lord? Tavi hasn't been made first lord yet, princeps or not, while (And I know I'm going to spell this wrong) Aquitane is. At least for now. On that subject, will he give up the position when Tavi returns? Well, I can't wait for the next book

Old June 8th, 2009, 3:58 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish_Earrings View Post
I don't know what Alera is. My first impression, when Ehren saw her and Gaius talking, was that she was a great fury, like Kalus. But mabye she is a royal fury. But then why wouldn't she go to the current First Lord? Tavi hasn't been made first lord yet, princeps or not, while (And I know I'm going to spell this wrong) Aquitane is. At least for now. On that subject, will he give up the position when Tavi returns? Well, I can't wait for the next book
I think that Gaius sent her to him, that she's not following the current leader but the true one.

The End of the Dream.
Old June 14th, 2009, 5:27 am
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

I had a bit of a question, or perhaps I'm a bit confused.

I just finished reading through the scene where Bernard, Kord, Amera, Tavi, etc, get into fight at the side of the river in <i> Furies of Calderon</i>. I am confused where Isana came from. Was she hiding in the river? I got the impression that she was fighting remotely from the previous scene where Bernard confronts Amera on the road.

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old June 14th, 2009, 8:47 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupislune View Post

I just finished reading through the scene where Bernard, Kord, Amera, Tavi, etc, get into fight at the side of the river in <i> Furies of Calderon</i>. I am confused where Isana came from. Was she hiding in the river? I got the impression that she was fighting remotely from the previous scene where Bernard confronts Amera on the road.
It was my impression that the river (the Rillwater) was Isana's Fury, Rill. I think that means that she knows what is going on inside it, and when Odiana tries to use the river's furies that she is alerted about what is happening, and uses the river to get there faster. I haven't read the book recently, so I may be wrong.

Old September 1st, 2009, 1:31 am
Member of the Order

Coming November 24th in the US.

All fighters are pig-headed some way or another: some part of them always thinks they know better than you about something. Truth is: even if they're wrong, even if that one thing is going to be the ruin of them, if you can beat that last bad out of them... they ain't fighters at all.

---Eddie Scrap-Iron Dupris (Million Dollar Baby)
Old September 1st, 2009, 1:38 am
Custodian of Hades Vault

Sweet. I hope the local library is quick on the uptake so I can sneak in ahead of some of the other Alera fans .

In case I forget: Opinions posted in the US Political Discussion forum are posted as a member and not as a moderator

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde

We're all human, aren't we? Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving. - Kingsley

Sustainability should be a part of what we do every day.
Old September 5th, 2009, 7:15 pm
(Still) The Nicest Guy Ever.

I am about two thirds of the way through Captain's Fury, and I think its odd that many of the events so far in the series are caused by Tavi and Kitai's actions in the wax forest, waking the vord queen. It is true, though, I suppose that if they didn't unleash the queen the loyalties of many of those in Alera would yet to be exposed.

True, Kalarus would still rise to attempt to take the thrown, but I don't think the Canim would be as motivated to help him, if that were the case.

Check out TheDailyExcuse for icons, graphics, and additional exciting items!

No Vampires Included.....well maybe a few.

Occasionally you need to jump off a cliff and do things you know are not immediately within your grasp.
Old September 8th, 2009, 3:55 am
She Who Walks Behind

Can't wait for the next book, to see how it will all end and
Princep's Fury Spoiler:    

especially to see how the Icemen are included, because in Princep's Fury they didn't make much sense to me.  

But it will be sad that the series will be over then. It's one of the few book series I really enjoy reading.

Quote:

I got the impression that she wasn't there physically at all and just send Rill via Rillwater to help them.

Quote:
I am about two thirds of the way through Captain's Fury, and I think its odd that many of the events so far in the series are caused by Tavi and Kitai's actions in the wax forest, waking the vord queen. It is true, though, I suppose that if they didn't unleash the queen the loyalties of many of those in Alera would yet to be exposed.

True, Kalarus would still rise to attempt to take the thrown, but I don't think the Canim would be as motivated to help him, if that were the case.
I guess the reason why the Canim joined forces with Kalare was because they both had the same goal, overtaking Alera. But most of all do I think that Kalare just joined up with them, is to have a bigger army to rise his chances to win against the others.

The End of the Dream.
Old September 13th, 2009, 9:16 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Can't wait for the next book, to see how it will all end and
Princep's Fury Spoiler:    

especially to see how the Icemen are included, because in Princep's Fury they didn't make much sense to me.  

But it will be sad that the series will be over then. It's one of the few book series I really enjoy reading.
I'm interested in the Icemen, too. I'm assuming that they will have a significant role, because otherwise there was no reason to include them in Princep's Fury. I still enjoy reading about the Canim the most.

I agree. It's one of the most enjoyable series that I've read in a while and I really hope that Butcher has written a satisfying conclusion.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old September 15th, 2009, 5:03 am
She Who Walks Behind

Well one's for sure Tavi will become the new First Lord, except when Jim puts in a MAJOR plot twist.

As for the Canim, they never really grew onto me. Sneaky dogs.

The End of the Dream.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 7:09 pm
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
Well one's for sure Tavi will become the new First Lord, except when Jim puts in a MAJOR plot twist.

As for the Canim, they never really grew onto me. Sneaky dogs.
I like the Canim sense of honour - Varg's anyway. He says what he means and he sticks by it; which is more than most humans do.

I think that along with Ehren and Kitai, he is one of my favourite characters.

I really like the Marat as well though.

Old October 7th, 2009, 5:29 am
She Who Walks Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
I think that along with Ehren and Kitai, he is one of my favourite characters.
I like Ehren so much, I think he has the advantage of looking cute and cuddly (at least I think that) and people underestimate him, but in real he has great Cursor powers.

Unlike Max or Tavi who are known to be fighters and impulsive, is he pretty good at hiding his real strength.

The End of the Dream.
Old October 7th, 2009, 5:36 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Quote:
I like Ehren so much, I think he has the advantage of looking cute and cuddly (at least I think that) and people underestimate him, but in real he has great Cursor powers.

Unlike Max or Tavi who are known to be fighters and impulsive, is he pretty good at hiding his real strength.
I agree and I like how weak he appears to be at first. As the reader, this was my impression of him for most of Academ's Fury. I like the relationship that he has with Tavi.

Old December 9th, 2009, 6:36 pm
First Year

I just finished reading First Lord's Fury, and I really liked it. Has anyone else read it?

Old December 9th, 2009, 6:38 pm
Seventh Year

Not yet. Had to stop buying books for a few months to pay off some things. Hoping someone will buy me a copy for Christmas.

-Tibbetts

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old September 20th, 2010, 4:27 am
First Year

I've read them and I keep meaning to read them again just haven't gotten around to it. Varg and well basically the Canim as a whole are my favorite. Kitai and Tavi are a close second.
favorite scene would have to be when the tavar shows up. i liked Varg's choice of using Tavar for a Canim name for Tavi.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy