Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Charlie Bone (Children of the Red King) Series By Jenny Nimmo

Old March 16th, 2008, 3:54 pm
First Year

Re: Charlie Bone (Children of the Red King) Series By Jenny Nimmo

The american cover is up on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Bone-S...5675588&sr=1-5

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2008, 10:53 pm
Third Year

I've read the books a long time ago! I even did a book report on one of them - can't remember which one though :P I loved Charlie & his friends & his uncle. These books are very entertaining (:

Old December 27th, 2008, 5:49 pm
Defender of Dogs

*revival*

How did you all like Charlie Bone and the Shadow? It was my second favorite so far, behind the Hidden King.

Spoiler: show
I didn't like that Tancred came back at the end, because I could see it coming from a mile (she would never kill one of her endowed children), but I thought the plot overall was very interesting and seemed to have much more to do with the plot of the series than The Beast. Asa wasn't even mentioned in this one I think. I really can't wait for the eight book now because I want to find out who/what the Red Knight is.

Old January 1st, 2009, 10:31 am
First Year

I read the first book in this series and thought it was a nice read. The story felt very much like Harry Potter though. It didnít bother me so much though because the book took about a day to read so I didnít mind that the plot seemed like something I had read before. It was a good story I think, and I heard the first several books in the series are best so perhaps I will read more of them.

Old January 25th, 2009, 2:19 am
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faustus View Post
I read the first book in this series and thought it was a nice read. The story felt very much like Harry Potter though. It didn’t bother me so much though because the book took about a day to read so I didn’t mind that the plot seemed like something I had read before. It was a good story I think, and I heard the first several books in the series are best so perhaps I will read more of them.
Personally I would recommend reading all of them, but my favorites are 4 and 5. Those two were just miles ahead of the others. I think my order would be:

The Hidden King (5)
Castle of Mirrors (4)
Midnight for Charlie Bone (1)
The Time Twister (2)
The Shadow (7)
Invisible Boy (3)
The Beast (6)

I hear that #8, the final book will be called the Charlie Bone and the Red Knight.

Old April 3rd, 2009, 10:10 pm
Fifth Year

Wow, I can't believe I didn't see this thread before now!
I bought the first two books at a small book sale on campus for $3 apiece, and then had to literally go hunt down the others to read. They're very enjoyable, I think, but a bit lighter than say, HP without being silly or stupid about it. I like the characters seem to handle all the weird stuff going on with such an "Oh well, that's just what we're going to have to deal with today" attitude - they don't seem to dwell on it too long. Keep the story's pace moving along nicely, I think.
A much undervalued series, I think.

"I am having that kind of day where if the winds blow in a different direction, I am reduced to a gelatinous mass of tear-soaked silly-putty, caterwauling in a heap until someone spoon-feeds me chocolate and tells me I'm pretty."

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Old April 10th, 2009, 4:17 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheree View Post
A much undervalued series, I think.
Agreed. My oldest daughter is a really advanced reader and loves all the fantasy she can get her hands on. I appreciate that this series stays child-friendly (she's only ten) without talking down to the audience. I really like Blue Balliett's books, too, for the same reason--though they're a different genre (mystery rather than fantasy).