Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Books by Gregory Maguire

Old June 12th, 2008, 5:08 am
Second Year

Re: Books by Gregory Maguire

I read Wicked, and enjoyed it a lot, but I tried to read Confessions..and just couldn't get into it at all. =/

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2008, 8:36 pm
Third Year

I have all of his books, but I've only read Wicked & Son of a Witch. I thought they were both amazing, but I like Wicked better. Son of a Witch seemed to drag on, but once I got through it, I loveed it very much. I soo need to read his other books, but they just sit on my overflowing book case, teheee.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:21 am
Secret Keeper

I've only read Wicked, and I loved it!! There were some parts that were kind of weird for me that i can''t mention on this site, but i loved how it really made you think and how grey the characters were. The play is sooooo different though!!!It was good, just not as good as the book of course. It's not really even the same story. I'm not sure of the next time my mom will let me buy a book but i'll probably be buying another one of Maguire's books.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old December 3rd, 2008, 12:30 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I've only read Wicked, and I loved it!! There were some parts that were kind of weird for me that i can''t mention on this site, but i loved how it really made you think and how grey the characters were. The play is sooooo different though!!!It was good, just not as good as the book of course. It's not really even the same story. I'm not sure of the next time my mom will let me buy a book but i'll probably be buying another one of Maguire's books.
Really, the play is different? I thought it was "weird" too when I read it. Son of a Witch, I would hope.....

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old December 3rd, 2008, 1:50 am
Secret Keeper

play spoilers:

Spoiler: show
In the play, the whole Elphaba being misunderstood thing is there but the plot is completely different. Nessarose is Nessa, Shell doesn't exist, neither does Turtle Heart. Many of the minor characters like Pfanee and Milla and Crone aren't in it either. Also, in the play, Boq falls in love with Nessa because Galinda tries to make him ask him out to a dance so she can date Fiyero. Fiyero is very different. Instead of being the exotic boy from Vinkus, he's basically very popular, tells everyone about how brainless is an easier way of life and Galinda and Elphaba love him. Elphaba and Galinda completely loathe each other in the play and when they finally become friends, Galinda tries to make her popular as well. Then there's the whole working for the Wizard thing. Instead of all three of them being asked about it, only Elphaba is and she asks Glinda to come with her to the Emerald city. After Elphaba leaves, Glinda is asked by Madam Morrible to learn magic and work for the Wizard. My memory is foggy about what i'm going to say next because htey don't have songs on this. I think that Elphaba makes Nessa her shoes because in the play, instead of having no arms, Nessa can't walk. Either that or Nessa makes them, I really can't remember. They also explain the Tin Man and Scarecrow and Lion. Tin Man is Boq because he breaks Nessa's heart and she gets revenge on him. the Lion is the cub that Elphaba frees from the Wizard because he was locking Animals in cages to make them animals. Scarecrow is Fiyero, because they find out that he has been meeting with Elphaba and want to torture out her whereabouts. Elphaba finds out and tries to save him by making him impervious to pain and other bodily harm. Also, the flying monkeys are the product of a spell that was supposed to make them talk

the ending is also different. When Dorothy throws the water on her, she fakes it and goes down a trap door or something i think and runs off with Fiyero and live happily ever after. Liir and Sarima also aren't in the play.

the play is amazing and I do recommend it but just completely different from the book.

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old December 3rd, 2008, 2:03 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Wow the play is different. I didn't think there would be so many changes. I thought they'd stay true to the book.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old December 3rd, 2008, 3:16 am
Secret Keeper

Spoiler: show
It's barely the same book. It has the same beginning but that's about it. It's definitely good and a wonderful play, just not really Maguire's Wicked. I can certainly understand why so much was cut out, lots happens in the book and well, in a live musical it's hard to fit it all in but whatever, I'd still see it again and i still love listening to the songs , just the book is better

My Deviantart Account

Old January 21st, 2009, 5:14 am
Second Year

I've only read Wicked by him, and it's become one of my favorite books. I'm reading Son of a Witch now, and it's decent so far. I tried reading Confessions, but couldn't get past the first two chapters.

As far as the musical goes, I absolutely love it, though it's not unusual for me since I'm a theatre-dork. :P

I like it better than the book, but only because the book dragged in some places. I definitley reccomend both the book and musical to everyone, though.

- Walt Disney

~~
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy