Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction v. Fantasy

Old April 22nd, 2008, 4:38 pm
do you want fries with that?

Re: Science Fiction v. Fantasy

1) Would you consider yourself primarily a SciFi fan or a fantasy fan, or both equally? What do you like best about each?

Honestly, I'm not a fan of either. Besides HP or the Dresden Files, I havent liked any other books of either genre really.

2) What do you think separates these genres?
Science fiction is based on possiblities or ideas within science, while fantasy creates much of its own world. Fantasy is stories of things that can never be possible, while Science Ficiton is based more on scientific ideas.

3) What kind of stories/books are uniquely one genre or the other, and which books are a blend.
Umm not having read too much of either genre, I guess I cant really say. Things like HP and LotR are strictly fantasy though.

The Next Mesut Özil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Sponsored Links
Old April 22nd, 2008, 6:11 pm
Defender of Dogs

1) Would you consider yourself primarily a SciFi fan or a fantasy fan, or both equally? What do you like best about each?
I am more of a fantasy fan. Almost all of my favorite books are fantasy, but I still like sci-fi okay.
Science fiction is like fantasy in the sense that these are things that could never really happen, but in science fiction there are elements of scientific discovery and such. Fantasy uses imaginary creatures/events.
3) What kind of stories/books are uniquely one genre or the other, and which books are a blend.
Fantasy: Harry Potter, LotR, Eragon (Inheritance cycle)
Science fiction: Pendragon
Both: Bartimaeus Trilogy

Old April 22nd, 2008, 6:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyH View Post
[b]1)
Science fiction: Pendragon
Really? I've always seen Pendragon classified as fantasy. Havent read it myself though.

The Next Mesut Özil

Old April 22nd, 2008, 6:40 pm
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipro2003 View Post
Really? I've always seen Pendragon classified as fantasy. Havent read it myself though.
It has a bit of fantasy in it, but mostly it is science fiction. The main plot is of these flumes (wormholes) that shoot specific people around the universe, and one of those Travelers is trying to destroy the universe and the flumes. I always saw it as more science fiction than fantasy.

Old April 22nd, 2008, 7:13 pm

Quote:
It has a bit of fantasy in it, but mostly it is science fiction. The main plot is of these flumes (wormholes) that shoot specific people around the universe, and one of those Travelers is trying to destroy the universe and the flumes. I always saw it as more science fiction than fantasy.
As I said I havent read it so I have no idea. But from your description it does sound more sci-fi. I'll have to consult my brother, he's the expert in the family on such books.

The Next Mesut Özil

Old April 28th, 2008, 9:16 am
The Next Great Adventurer

I definitely enjoy science fiction more than fantasy. In fact there are only three fantasy series I've enjoyed: Harry Potter, LOTR, and Harry Dresden.

Quote:
Sometimes things can get classified as science fantasy.

Sometimes dreams do come true
Old April 28th, 2008, 12:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBookWorm View Post
I definitely enjoy science fiction more than fantasy. In fact there are only three fantasy series I've enjoyed: Harry Potter, LOTR, and Harry Dresden.
Interesting that you classified The Dresden Files as fantasy, my local bookstore had it under the science fiction section.

The Next Mesut Özil

Old April 28th, 2008, 12:24 pm

Well the fantasy is usually lumped with the science fiction. Harry Dresden is about magic and wizards and faeries and vampires and other monsters. That's fantasy.

Last edited by ComicBookWorm; April 28th, 2008 at 2:23 pm.
Old June 6th, 2008, 7:25 pm
Mrs Grawp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightstalker View Post
Star Wars Expanded Universe - Sci-Fi
actually not. Star Wars is Fantasy.

One of the main differences between Sci-Fi and Fantasy is that Sci-Fi has no magic. Sci-Fi should be possible applying the rules of our world.
But I think we can consider The Force to be equivalent to magical power, not scientifically provable.

For example it's an interesting question whether the Darkover Serie by Marion Zimmer Bradley is Sci-Fi or Fantasy. One one hand we have the Sci-Fi plot of a lost colony space ship and on the other hand the mental power of laran, which, even if it can be "scientifically" explained, it's still close to something magical.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Old June 6th, 2008, 7:34 pm

And Star Wars makes no attempt to explain how things (such as the twin ion engines on a TIE fighter work) something which hard skiffy demands.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old June 12th, 2008, 7:47 am
Zonko's Employee

The way I see it, they are both virtually identical. In sci fi, you do incredible things by pushing a button. In fantasy you do the exact samke things by waving a wand or saying a spell.

I could easily rewrite The Lord of the Rings as a sci fi story. And I could rewrite Star Trek as a fantasy.

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by guad View Post
But I think we can consider The Force to be equivalent to magical power, not scientifically provable.
Many science fiction stories feature enhanced mental powers like telepathy, mind control, teleportation, levitation, and telekinesis /psychokinesis (moving objects using mental powers) among other powers.

Star Wars is classic Space Opera, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_opera . It is a very common and popular form of science fiction. The force is just an untapped energy source that some can access. Those that do can perform mind control, levitation, and telekinesis. Wikipedia lists Stars Wars first on its list of examples of Space Opera movies. Asimov's Foundation series featured characters with enhanced mental powers. And it was voted one of the greatest science fiction series of all time.

My favorite kind of science fiction is stories with mental powers in it.

Old June 12th, 2008, 2:08 pm
Fifth Year

I like both, but probably prefer sci-fi.

I noticed that some people say they prefer fantasy because there's more imagination involved, but I would say, although fantasy does have the potential to show off an amazing imagination very few authors make use of it. How many not-very-detailed pseudo-English medieval worlds do we have to visit? And how often do we have to read about a orphan boy who has a mysterious past? Throwing in a few strange beasts doesn't mean the author has a good imagination. I tend to think that a good imagination can be seen only when sufficent detail is given and when the reader can have some understanding of how something (whether it be magic or technology) works. Too many authors, particularly fantasy authors, are lazy with the details and don't think they need to describe the ins and outs of magic in their universe. Sci-fi isn't trapped in a pseudo-medieval world and doesn't usually feel the need to deal with concepts like 'destiny' (which often results in orphans). Also, because of the word 'science' I think sci-fi authors often make an attempt at a decent explanation of how things work (not that they're always successful). It's almost like fantasy has made a trap for itself because too many authors have stuck to the tried and tested formula. I think sci-fi is not so trapped.

I also think, whether a book is fantasy or sci-fi, is it needs to be believable. What I mean by that is that there has to be a certain logic to what ever the author writes about- even if they are writing about magic. I can think of a few fantasy books where quite a bit of logic is missing eg: obtaining great power unrealistically quickly.

Having poured all that critcism on fantasy, I should say that some of my favorite books are fantasy. I love George RR Martin's 'A song of ice and fire' series- mainly because it's so fantastically detailed (maybe he's better at this than most fantasy writers because he's also done some sci-fi writing, it's also because he's seriously into studying history). And some sci-fi is desperately dull with long technical details.

The limits of the possible can only be defined by going beyond them into the impossible.

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not. In either case the idea is quite staggering.

There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum.

Arthur C. Clarke (1917–2008)

Last edited by Lyra Black; June 12th, 2008 at 2:15 pm.
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:26 pm
Banned

Fantasy deffinitly!

Old August 30th, 2008, 9:25 pm
Qvack...

I would consider myself primarily a fantasy fan, I just prefer the fantastical idea! I do
like sci fi though, because some of it at least is sometimes based on facts or recent possibilities, upsurges of science or developments. I prefer fantasy because I like the characters, the creation of magic and the places that authors are so careful in making.

I think there's a very basic difference between them. Fantasy and sci fi are inherently different. Fantasy is usually based on nothing more than an idea or someone's imagination, whereas sci fi is usually based on something factual, mildly scientifically based and just blown out of proportion regarding possibilites.

Harry Potter is fantasy, so is Lord of the Rings. Darren Shane counts, I think, as a blend of both. Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy is sci fi, for sure, although there are some really great "magical" moments. Twilight is fantasy, and the Wheel of Time is too...

Star Wars, though the films are more prominent, is sci fi.

I think.

THE DUCK.

Old October 21st, 2008, 12:59 am
HighFunctioning Sociopath

I read more fantasy these days, but I read a lot of sci-fi when I was younger, and I may come back to it (I've only really started reading fantasy again, for the first time since my teens, since I got into HP).

Sci-fi appeals more to my head and fantasy to my heart.

What I most enjoy about fantasy is the sheer escapism of it - if the author has a great imagination and really believes in his/her world, you actually start to feel like you're really there and like the characters are your friends.

Some sci-fi can be a lot more ambitious and serious - it can address real-life scientific or philosophical problems and the ethical issues they present. But some sci-fi is more fanciful and escapist than fantasy.

Well, the old joke goes that the difference between fantasy and sci-fi is whether or not there's a map at the front of the book!

For me the main difference is that pure sci-fi is focused on the future while fantasy is often focused on the past - even though the world is imaginary, it's usually imbued with a cod mediaevalism and the plots are often inspired by old legends and epics.

I've read quite a few "blend" novels which are set in the future on another planet that has been colonised by an alliance of people from earth and other planets, who arrive in spaceships, build a huge space station on the planet with all mod cons, dress in skin-tight all-in-one leotards etc (so that premise is very sci-fi), but then the planet itself is stuck in a cod mediaeval time warp, the inhabitants wear jerkins, tie their long hair back with fillets, fight with crossbows and swords, trust in herbalists, magicians and soothsayers etc (i.e. the stuff of fantasy).

And then you've got things like Dune and Star Wars which are set in the future, but the plots have that kind of medieval epic quality.

I thought LyraBlack's post was spot-on, especially:

Quote:
Posted by LyraBlack
I would say, although fantasy does have the potential to show off an amazing imagination very few authors make use of it. How many not-very-detailed pseudo-English medieval worlds do we have to visit? And how often do we have to read about a orphan boy who has a mysterious past? Throwing in a few strange beasts doesn't mean the author has a good imagination.
and:

Quote:
I also think, whether a book is fantasy or sci-fi, is it needs to be believable. What I mean by that is that there has to be a certain logic to what ever the author writes about- even if they are writing about magic.
My own pet peeves with some fantasy books are wild anachronism (mixing Viking, late mediaeval and Elizabethan language/technology in the same world) and not bothering to make up original character names, just taking standard English names and randomly adding a letter or changing a vowel to make them seem exotic (e.g. Dannyl, Ylena).

Last edited by Melaszka; October 21st, 2008 at 1:09 am.
Old October 21st, 2008, 1:25 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
I've always just seen it as a mix, just like dresden files is a mix of mystery and fantasy. I didn't think that the flumes were technology though and some other magic stuff does happen, i just don't rmemeber any of it because i haven't read the series in years, i barely remmeber the main character's name . I remember Courtney and Mark, but um....is the main character bobby? i think?

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old November 15th, 2008, 5:28 pm
Sixth Year

I should consider myself more of a fantasy fan, because I have read too many fantasy books to count.I don't know why I love fantasy so much. Probably the magic, and the way you can escape to a whole new world by flicking a the pages of the book. How the story entrances you with its sheer magic-undescribable!

I can't say much for SciFI, because I haven't even read a SciFi novel. Can anyone recommend me any good ones? (I do watch more SciFi films than fantasy, though)

I think fantasy usually concerns the past. Whenever someone mentions the word fantasy, the first thing which comes to my mind are sprawling English countrysides, knights riding on horseback, damsels in distress, and dragons breathing smoke and fire. It's a world where King Arthur and the Knights of the Round table live in, a world where all things are possible, where there is magic like there is air around us. That's what I imagine fantasy to be.

For SciFi, though I have not read many of them, I think of the futuristic things. Robots and computers, missions to outerspace, spacheships and astronauts and the works. There'd be clones, and people would live in houses which could travel from one place to another. Perhaps we wouldn't even need houses anymore! Then, I imagine aliens and weird, galaxy creatures which have slimy tentacles.

Feel free to contribute more questions

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old November 25th, 2008, 7:03 pm
Fourth Year

I'm more of a fantasy fan, really... Though I like SciFi too. The thing I like most with both is that anything can happen, but it is the way anything can happen that makes one of the genres suit me better. (See question 2)

In SciFi, there is invented things, like flying cars, that is too far ahead technological that we really can believe it today, but for all we know it could exist in a few years time. The invented things makes almost anything you can imagine possible to happen or be done.

In Fantasy, there is magic; magical creatures, magical plants, magical powers... Which makes almost anything able to happen, but in a different way than SciFi. Things kinda happen more smoothly, if you see what I mean. I think it's the magic, the fact that you cannot imagine all the possible ways thing can happen when you have magic involved. The writer is more free to do whatever he/she wants.

Weirdly enough, I feel fanasy is more realistic. Don't ask me why, but I believe it is because I've always thought magic is real (or, at least, was). Or maybe because the things written in fantasy books are less likely to happen than things written in SciFi books makes it more realistic... SciFi has a hint of realism, the feeling that this is possible to happen, though maybe not right now, maybe in the future. Magic is "impossible". It is completely invented. Or maybe not. Maybe it existed in the past, long ago, or hidden. Maybe it even exists today, hidden. That's why I find fantasy more realistic, because it could be history, it could be fact - or at least, hints of fact - it could be it has actually happened, without us being able to know for sure.

I think that's why I love Fantasy more.

I have read quite a lot of fantasy books, but not so many SciFi books, because I love fantasy more. Only problem is, I can't remember any SciFi books right now. I know I've read some, but they're hiding as far back in my head they can come, and they won't let me get them!

Uniquely fantasy books:
- Harry Potter
- Lord of the Rings
- Stardust
- Inkworld Trilogy
- Eragon books
- Bartimaeus Trilogy (kinda different from other fantasy books, but still fantasy)
I could go on forever, because I read a lot of fantasy.

A blend of both:
- Artemis Fowl
- The Supernaturalist
Really? I don't remember more "blended" books? And both are written by the same author?

Uniquely SciFi books:
- Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
OK, I remembered one, though I don't feel it's a SciFi book... But I think it has to be placed in this category, it is about space and spaceships and other planets after all, and it's not magic, it's technology.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

—Neil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old December 8th, 2008, 6:18 pm
Rocket Scientist

I think i like both fairly equally. for different reasons, i think mainly because both catergories seem so different to me. I also think that the extremes in both catergories are sometimes hard for me to enjoy.

I think typically sci fi falls more into the what if (as in what could come to be in the future), space/technology type generes whereas fantasy falls into the more mythological, magical creatures and what not. I think sci fi is more an extension or exaggeration of something that is real and already exists, fantasy falls more into the imaginative, madeup things.

ender's game - definately sci fi
harry potter, the secrets of the immortal nicholas flamel, eragon, i would classify as fantasy.

*Sig image compliments of cybobbie
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Science Fiction & Fantasy