Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Is there anything in the movies that you like more than in the books?

Old January 3rd, 2007, 6:16 pm
Second Year

Re: Do you prefer the books or the films?

If I had to choose I would choose the books. I really like both. The books have so much information and background that you just cant put into a movie but the movies really help to streamline the story line and keep out the rabbit trails and wanderings. (I guess I would like the movies more if POA hadnt left out some vital materials.)

There are a set of movies that I like as much or a little better than the books was the LOTR trilogy.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2007, 7:40 pm
Sixth Year

Well, I don't so much put them on the same level anymore - they're different kinds of media completely, and even though the movies often annoy me, generally I enjoy them (I also enjoy making fun of them, though ). However, I think if I compare how many of the movies have been successful (for me, I mean) against the books, the books definitely come out on top. I like all of the Harry Potter books; even the ones I read less will drag me in again when I pick them up. The movies don't have that effect; I don't watch them if they're on tv, and I really do have to be in the right mood to enjoy some of them properly.

Plus, you know, the books are what I fell in love with. They're the reason I'm in fandom, and trust me - I wouldn't be in fandom if I didn't love them.

Move on, move on
No there's nothing changing
Old January 3rd, 2007, 7:51 pm
Third Year

Books, by far, the movies leave so much out that could be important in Book 7. And some of the lines, the way they switch characters and put in stupid stuff. I still like them, but the books are soooooooooooooooooooo much better!

It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo...The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end... Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why... Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something...there's some good in this world... and it's worth fighting for.
--Samwise the Brave

If you think nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door.

Better to keep your mouth shut and look like an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Old January 5th, 2007, 1:20 am
First Year

I most definately prefer the books to the movies. But it's tough, because they're pretty much complete opposites in a manor of speaking. I just find that with the books, there is so much more, and I'm able to stretch my imagination. With the movies, you wouldn't be able to come up with as many interesting theories and such as we're able to do with the books.

Old January 5th, 2007, 1:26 am
First Year

...the books are still the best, the movies are just pieces of the books and imagination is enhanced by reading...without the book, there is no movie, make sense to me...

Old January 5th, 2007, 2:12 pm
First Year

The books. The films are brilliantly entertaining, but because they can't give us more information the books win by miles. I mean say there were no books and it was just films...rekon we'd ALL be here?

Old January 5th, 2007, 2:15 pm
First Year

Definately the books! I dislike the movies greatly. I mean, sure, some of the actors are good, some are even very good, but because the movies have this 3-hour limit, they have to cut out too much, not doing the story justice. That's my opinion anyway :P.

Old January 5th, 2007, 3:44 pm
Second Year

The books, without any doubts. The movies are entertaining, rather well made but the books are much more complete. We all know it's very hard to adapt a 800-pages book in a movie, even if it lasts 2 hours and a half. Some things will always miss. But that's not only the reason. The books have a special atmosphere I really like. For despite all the darkness the story brings (with Voldemort, the death and the sorrow it brings, the fact Harry lost his parents when he was a baby, etc), JK Rowling manages to create a fascinating world. And reading about it has always cheered me up and captivated me. For even if there is a lot of darkness, there are also wonderful things. Like the magical but also the human part. Like the strong friendship between Harry, Ron & Hermione, like the fatherly behavior of Dumbledore towards Harry, like the fact Harry has found a new family in the Weasleys, etc...

Old January 5th, 2007, 3:48 pm
Fifth Year

Hands down, the books are 10 times better. There is so much more depth, so many more little details that make the books come alive that are just not possible in the movies. To me, what makes the stories so great is how JKR puts in all of the little details that you forget about but that turn out to be terribly significant later on. Many of these little details get lost in the movies. So, yes, books are much better.

"Pile up enough tomorrows and you'll find you've collected nothing but a lot of empty yesterdays."

~ sllagnire ~

Old January 6th, 2007, 12:49 pm
First Year

Its a difficult one looking at two different mediums, I like both but for different reasons. The books are better because they have more depth and you get all the twists and turns about all the plots and other stuff but the films are excellent from a visual point of view all the films are excellently shot with lavish sets and great actors so its a bit of both for me

Old January 6th, 2007, 3:16 pm
Second Year

I prefer the books, but I still think they did a good job with all of the movies. Sometimes, they even have certain scenes in the movies that I imagined while reading the books!
The thing I really don't like about the movies is just how they don't include some really good parts from the books.

Old January 8th, 2007, 4:48 am
Second Year

I prefer the books too, but I like the movies a lot, I really enjoy them, even though they had change some things on them, I like the actors and everything, I think the movies are pretty good

Old January 8th, 2007, 7:01 am
Second Year

I read the books way before watching the movie, and since I've only read each one once, in my opinion, I feel that the films did live up to the books in most respects. My favourite film so far has been 'Goblet of Fire.' I recently read the 5th and 6th books, and I found that experience just as rewarding as watching the films. So I think it's pretty dead even, however, the films provide visuals, which is always nice.

"No way, the old codger can see out of the back of his head!" - Seamus Finnigan
Old January 8th, 2007, 7:12 am
Second Year

I prefer the first couple of movies compared to the books, although the ending to Chamber of Secrets annoyed me so much [how cheesy it was with the "It's not Hogwarts without you, Hagrid." *Cue Albus then everybody else clapping and hugging him*] but I prefer the GoF book to the movie...and we'll see how it goes with OotP when that comes out, I guess...

[Malfoy] "I was supposed to be waiting up here when you got back, only your Phoenix lot got in the way..."
"Yes, they do that," said Dumbledore.

Old January 8th, 2007, 7:19 am
Second Year

No question ~ the books!

Old January 8th, 2007, 7:24 am
Second Year

Heh, I find you don't understand the movies as much unless you do read the books...just in my opinion. I made my boyfriend sit and watch them with me and he was asking questions every five minutes, so I'm making him read the books and then watch the movies again, lol. He doesn't mind too much, he thinks HP is "pretty good" now. An improvement on "absolutely stupid", I should think.

[Malfoy] "I was supposed to be waiting up here when you got back, only your Phoenix lot got in the way..."
"Yes, they do that," said Dumbledore.

Old January 9th, 2007, 1:36 am
Second Year

Well, the movies could never top the books.....so I think I like the books better!!

BREAKING DAWN!!!
Old January 11th, 2007, 4:17 am
Second Year

The books are better.The movies are great but Jo allows our minds to create the most amazing images and worlds. The movies put difinitive images in our heads which is fine but our minds are so much more colorful when we read words that allow us to invent our own magic.

Old January 11th, 2007, 5:17 pm
Third Year

I prefer the books. I think they are better than the films. I like the films too, but I love the books. They have so many details, and Jo has created a wonderful world. I read the books before the films came out, so the films are just like a bonus for me. I didn't start to read the books becuase I saw the films. I saw the films becuase I read the books, if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
Heh, I find you don't understand the movies as much unless you do read the books...just in my opinion. I made my boyfriend sit and watch them with me and he was asking questions every five minutes, so I'm making him read the books and then watch the movies again, lol. He doesn't mind too much, he thinks HP is "pretty good" now. An improvement on "absolutely stupid", I should think.
I have watched the films with a friend of mine, who doesn't read HP, and she asked qusetions all the time. So I agree with you, you don't understand the films so much unless you read the books.

I am the founder of Club Artie!
Read Always Remember What You Can't Forget and A Mild Shade of Perfection to understand. (Read the feedback too. If you are brave enough...)

Proud Member of the IBP (Insane Becky Posse)
Old January 11th, 2007, 7:30 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

The books. I love the books as one of the best things about them are the details about Harry's world. The films have to skip details or they would go on for hours. There is just nothing better than snuggling down with a hot cuppa and reading a Harry Potter book